1

Prenuptial Agreement
Please log in to read the full chapter

We arrived to the Aquius Palace late in the evening. Our carriage stopped in front of the doors of the palace where a few servants and guards were standing outside. As we stepped out with the assistance of these servants, a middle aged couple come out. They were still dressed in their evening gowns, I believe for the sole purpose in meeting us properly. 

 

My father greeted the woman eagerly, followed by giving the older man a firm handshake. “King Sungki, Queen Yoosun. It’s good to see you both again,” I follow behind my mother who presses a kiss on the cheeks of both the King and Queen. After my mother says her own greetings, I curtsy for them.

 

“And this is Princess Reyna,” the Queen says, smiling at me as she moves just as eagerly as my father to greet me, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead. 

 

“It is an honor to meet you, King Sungki and Queen Yoosun,” I say politely, I nearly cringing at how robotic I sound. My mother takes my arm and gives it a quick squeeze. Damn, already?

 

“You all must be tired from your journey. Please come in, the servants will lead you to your chambers for the night. Are you hungry?” 

 

“Famished,” my father says jokingly and I press my lips together to not let out a sound of disdain. My parents continued to talk animately with the King and Queen as they took the offer to lead them to their chambers, leaving a young man to lead me to mine for the time my family and I will be staying here. 

 

It will all depend on how the meeting with the prince will go. 

 

Though it’s not technically official, I am arranged to be married to the Prince of Aquius. Of course, I have not met him, since my life has only been surrounded by the life of the palace and the people of my country, Ormium. I’ve never taken a step outside my country’s lands until the past three days as my parents and I journeyed to meet with the King and Queen of Aquius. 

 

I knew this is what would happen eventually, but I’ve always feared this day to come. Many of maids would gossip with each other about princesses in other countries where their husbands have abused them in multiple ways, and vice versa. I know that I could put up a fight, but that fear continues to remain in my soul for the coming years. 

 

I wish to choose my husband, I want to get to really know the man who I’ll be forced to be united with first before anything else to really know what they’re like. But that’s impossible to see within a week. How can someone tell what a person’s like in just that time? 

 

“Here is where you will be staying, my lady,” the servant says, bowing.

 

“Thank you,” I say to him, trying not to bow. 

 

“Shall I bring the maids to help you undress?” 

 

I shake my head, smiling at him, “I shall be fine, the people of Ormium are quite independent.” He opens the door for me and bows again and takes his leave. I enter the room, closing and locking the door as I take in a deep breath and rush to the bed to let out an incredibly loud groan that echoed around the large room. I roll on my back, staring at the canopy taking a deep breath.

 

“.”

 

 

 

Morning came all too quickly with the maids going around my chambers, a new dress ready for me to wear as a gift from the Queen. At the offer at dressing me, I was quick to decline asking for them to leave my chambers or at least wast outside for me as I changed. 

 

It was a beautiful dress, the cloth colored a majestic shade of emerald, and the shade of red wine for the lining and embroidery. I was glad to see that the dress is not like a ballgown, but simple and loose, the fabric stretching around my body to make it more comfortable to move around in. 

 

I allow the maids to do my hair, which they braided and pinned up half, adding a few fresh flower accessories to give a fresher glow to my presence. They then began to lead my to the dining area, where my parents were animately speaking to the King and Queen, and there stood a young man by their side. I nearly faltered in my steps as I approached the group and attempted to keep a straight face as my eyes tried to not stare too long at the young man. 

 

The King and Queen were not unattractive people, however the proportions of the King’s face are not of my own personal desire and I had thought that their son would look more similar to him. He had his father this lips and his mother’s sharp and narrow eyes, but rather than the calculating gaze, he held the almost absentminded look that matched the aloofness of his father’s image.

 

The Queen notices me immediately, forcing everyone to look my way. “My, you look so beautiful. I hope the dress is to your liking. Your father said you are not a fan of heavy cloths.” 

 

I give her a genuine smile and allow my stiff shoulders to relax, “yes, I love it, my Queen.” I say honestly, bowing slightly. I then turn to the young man, bowing my head in greeting.

 

“Reyna, we would like to introduce to you our son, Youjin.” The King finally introduces him, and the young man steps forward. With his arm behind his back and the other in front, he bows low.

 

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you, My lady,” he then offers his hand and I instinctively reach out, expecting more of a shake, but my neck burns when his lips touch the back of my hand. He smiles at me as he straightens his back, I can’t help but notice how the corner of his lips twitch. Goddammit.

 

Breakfast is served. The parents continue to talk, tell of tales of their lives. However, I never spoke unless spoken to and so did the prince. I was a little surprised to see how much more reserved he is, how he only opened his lips to answer a question by my mother and father, before silently returning to his meal. Eating slowly to match the pace of the family so that by the time they were finished, so was he.

 

The King and Queen then proceeded to take us on a tour of the kingdom, it seemed my mother and father were more excited about seeing the palace than I was as they animately asked questions about what around as I lagged a little behind, trying my best not to look at the prince. It’s not guaranteed that I’ll be married to him, so there’s honestly no real point to trying to start a conversation. Not that he seems too interested in talking.

 

At one point, we come across the training grounds, watching the organization of the practice, the strict calls, the spars between men. “Your men are quite disciplined,” my father compliments as he stands beside the king. 

 

“The ones training our men are my most loyal commanders, the best should be the ones training the best.” 

 

I gaze out in the field, my eyes roaming around the dirty field in an attempt to catch a glimpse of someone like me. “There are no women…” I mutter absently.

 

“Reyna.” My mother scolds, and straighten up, realizing I’ve said it aloud, the King and Queen looking at me. I bow in apology.

 

“I’m sorry for my rudeness.” The king shakes his head, looking at me.

 

“My lady, do the women in Ormium participate in battle?” 

 

I hesitate in answer, my eyes looking to my father, who nods his own head with a moment of hesitation. “Yes, we do.”

 

My father places his hand on the King’s shoulder, “my daughter is one of the top fighters in the army,” the King and Queen’s eyes widen, turning to me.

 

“Truly?” 

 

I look down embarrassed. I’m certainly one of the top fighters, but our number one fighter is a woman by the name of Adelfa. She was adopted by one of my father’s commanders. She is an exceptional fighter and my inspiration to improve.

 

“I would like permission to spar with you, my lady.” I snap my head to look at the prince, who’s hand was over his chest as he gives a slight bow to the King.

 

“Youjin,” this time, the scolding tone comes from his mother.

 

“That doesn’t sound like a bad idea,” everyone looks to my father and the two queens look as if they wanted to strangle him. The King of Aquius just looks amused. “Reyna, you’ve been itching to stretch your legs out, haven’t you?” 

 

My cheeks burn and my lips press tight together as a replacement for not sending my father a glare. “What do you say? My daughter versus your son?” 

 

The King of Aquius looks between us, obviously nervous by something out of the norm of their own tradition. His gaze was on my a bit longer and I felt uncomfortable as he looked down my body. “I suppose it couldn’t actually hurt.” 

 

My heart started pounding instantly as the prince was already moving to grab one of the fake wooden swords. I take in a deep breath, moving my arms around to see if I would need to adjust my clothing. All that would really need adjusting is the dress. I ask for a moment to

Please log in to read the full chapter