Contemplation - Or Lack Thereof

Contemplation - Or Lack Thereof

To make things clear, Gu Hai is not simple. He's got perfectly high test scores of his own to boast of -even if, he'll admit, they're not as high as Luo Yin's. 

The problem with Gu Hai is that he doesn't often stop to think through his actions. Especially when it comes to Luo Yin. If you asked him, he wouldn't be able to tell you why exactly he feels the need to feed Luo Yin whenever he sees him, or why satisfaction fills his stomach when he sees the other boy's lips close around food that Gu Hai gets for him. 

Like now. 

Luo Yin quirks his brow at him. "Not eating?" 

"No," Gu Hai shakes his head. His belly is filled just watching his companion eat, though he knows better than to say that aloud. His wry smile spreads wider at Luo Yin's confusion. 

"Why are you smiling like that," Luo Yin mutters, lowering his eyes back to his candied haw. "Creeping me out."

Gu Hai chuckles; the novelty of someone saying that kind of stuff to him, Commander Gu Wei Ting's only son, still excites him. How strange Luo Yin would think he is if he knew that. 

Gu Hai motions at the candied haw stick with his head. "Give me a bite," he says, and though he rolls his eyes Luo Yin obligingly hands it over.

Instead of taking the stick, Gu Hai grabs it, right over the other's fingers. They feel like ice. He keeps his fingers over Luo Yin's a few seconds longer after he takes a bite. 

The candied haw is almost as good as the last time they shared it, the melted sugar kept a little soft by the sun shining down on them. 

Gu Hai shrugs off his bag and digs through it for a moment. He doesn't notice Luo Yin flexing his hand with a troubled set to his full mouth, which is good. Gu Hai hasn't thought far enough to understand why he can't stop staring at Luo Yin's lips when he purses them like that. 

He doesn't wear gloves but his driver packs some in his bag as a precaution for the frosty mornings. He takes those out now and throws them to Luo Yin, smirking automatically when the other boy catches them with neat reflexes. You Qi is right; Luo Yin is too talented for his own good. 

"Wear them," Gu Hai insists when Luo Yin tries to shove them back. "Your hands feel like ice cubes. It disturbs me just standing next to you." 

"Then walk to school by yourself!" comes the retort. "You're the one dumb enough to leave your bike out in this weather and freeze your gears." 

That was because Gu Hai hasn't ever had to worry about things like that before, and Luo Yin seems to realize that at the same moment he does. His eyes widen briefly, and before Gu Hai can tell him he doesn't need to feel awkward about that, (since when have they ever cared about niceties around each other, he thinks), Luo Yin snatches the gloves huffily. 

"There, you happy?" Luo Yin barks once he's fully gloved. 

"Yeah," Gu Hai says, trying to shape his smug smile into something more innocent. By the scowl he recieves, his efforts aren't fruitful.

He glances at the gloves periodically through their walk back, and when he's caught, Gu Hai can't explain the urge to hold and warm Luo Yin's hands in his. So instead, he shrugs and drawls that he was wondering when he would get his gloves back, squeezing his fingers for dramatics. 

Nor can he explain why he grins so hard when Luo Yin punches him in the shoulder at that.