Privilage [Part I]: the First Time

Far Far Away's Own Love Story Drama - Princes, Fake Princes, Fairy Godmothers of Some Sort, and Foolish Wishes.

Privilage [Part I]: the First Time

♕ ♚ 

The night sky was decorated with shining stars when Minseok stepped into his room after the whole day out.

He was beyond confused. There were so many things he didn’t understand, and he didn’t know where to start looking for answers. Were there even answers to his questions?

The prince sat on a balcony, and looking at the stars and the lights of the city, started thinking about what he had experienced that day.

It was the first time he was legally out in the city.

It was the first time he had a purpose.

It was the first time he felt free.

But.

It was the first time he saw poverty.

It was the first time he experienced life outside of the palace.

It was the first time he was crushed with reality.

And.

It was the first time he did something without considering his profit.

It was the first time he did something without thinking.

It was the first time he helped.

He sighed, feeling conflicted.

The city was nothing he had been taught.

Life was not what he was told.

A cold wind blew, and Minseok took a deep breath in. Even the air smelled and felt different up in here. It was fresh, cold, refreshing.

Down there in the labyrinth of streets it was dry, sandy, suffocating.

He looked at his hands. White, plain, delicate.

Porcelain.

 

“When you come back for your debt, I will give you my life,” the thief whispered, looking at the apple.

“What do you think I would want?”

“There is nothing I have, so I don’t know.”

“Why would you think I would want your life?”

“Because this is the only thing I still have.”

 

Minseok sighed, leaning against the balcony wall.

 

“Is it always that people want something?” he asked.

“Have you ever done anything without wanting something in return?” the other asked, and Minseok stayed silent, realizing how much truth there was to the other’s words.

“I am doing it now.”

“You want something; you just don’t know what yet.”

 

The prince bit his lower lip, frowning. Did he want anything?

 

“Are you –” the thief started, but then stopped.

“Am I what?”

“I wanted to ask whether you happened to be a son of the shop owner that I tried to steal from yesterday.”

“I am not.”

“I figured.”

“How?”

“He’s too ugly for any woman to fall for him.”

 

The prince smiled at the memory, remembering bursting out laughing.

 

“Who are you?” the thief asked, as the sun was setting.

“Xiumin.”

“I know your name. I want to know who you are.”

“Why?”

“I feel like I’ve made a deal with the devil. May as well know the name of my death,” the boy replied, and shivers ran down Minseok’s spine.

“What is your name?” he asked.

“Jongdae.”

“And who are you?”

“I am a thief.”

Minseok looked at the apple still lying between them.

“My name is Xiumin. And I am no one.”

 

“Son,” a deep voice made the prince turn around. There was the king standing in the light of the room, smiling softly, “I knocked, but you must have not heard.”

“Or I simply didn’t what you to disturb me,” Minseok mumbled, turning back around to look at the city.

“Let the old man have some hope,” the king chuckled, and the prince smiled lightly. “What keeps your mind so occupied?” he asked, joining his son by the bar.

Minseok only sighed deeply, unable to reply.

“The city, father,” he replied, after a moment of silence.

“The city?”

“It’s so… different. It seems like a nightmare.”

“Don’t you like it?”

“It’s not that I don't like the city… I don’t like the… ehhh.”

“I see this little trip of yours was enough,” the king laughed.

“Enough?”

“Tell me son, when was the last time something left you at loss of words?” Minseok’s father smiled at him, and the elder’s eyes shone.

“It’s just that...,” the prince struggled once more.

“Hmm?”

“What I saw today, was not what I had been taught!” he yelled with a hint of disappointment and accusation in his voice, “I saw poverty father, poverty so deep and so terrible it should not be a part of our kingdom! I saw children struggling to get by, without food or water, living in worse conditions than our animals! Animals, father!” the prince cried out, “I met a man doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. And the things I saw in his eyes… and the stories engraved on his face, and the crimes held in his hands…”

The king was silent, listening to his son patiently. After a few moments of Minseok’s only looking at his hands, the men spoke.

“Do you understand now?” the king asked.

“I don’t understand anything, father. I feel betrayed,” the prince whispered.

“Betrayed?”

“By you. By mum. By the system. By everything,” he kept on counting, “by my privilege.”

“World is a cruel place, my son. There is no justice, nor is a happy ending guaranteed. Life is a cruel fight for survival.”

“But kids should not participate in such things.”

“Says who?” the king asked, and Minseok clenched his fists.

“Why?” the prince asked.

“Why what?”

“Why was I never allowed outside? Why have I never seen it before? Why did you make me live a lie?”

“You know your mother, she’s…”

“Tell me the truth, dad!”

The king sighed, taking a moment to remind himself why he had to tolerate his son.

“When we got married, your mother and I… she was only nineteen at the time, and her brother, your uncle, I believe he must have been fourteen. Some time before you were born, which was not so long after our wedding, Eric, your uncle, he died.”

“Died? You just said he was fourteen. How did he die?” Minseok asked.

The king looked down at the city, and frowned, “he went out to the city, and was stubbed to death,” he whispered.

Minseok’s eyes widened. No one had ever told him this before.

“But… what?!

“He was a nice kid. A lovely one. And he looked like an angel, just like your mother,” the king started speaking, “she changed after that. A lot. And this was why you were never allowed out. She was afraid. And she loves you so much, Minseok. She cares about you in ways you can’t even imagine. Do you think anyone else in the world would ever face the whole government just to allow you to love whoever you want? No one, Minseok, no one would ever do it. More than that, are you even aware of how lucky you are that you could talk to her about it? Tell her openly about issues like that? If it was anyone else, you might have had ended up in jail, in an asylum, or locked in here until the day you marry some princess from far away. And you would have no say in who that’d princess be. They’d just tell you that you’re married.”

Minseok looked down at his hands, sighing deeply.

“I know she’s giving you a hard time, Min,” the king smiled, “but she has her reasons.”

“I guess…”

“Nevertheless,” the elder continued, “you do have your right as well.”

“Hmm?”

“Be ready in the morning, we’re going for a ride.”

“Where to?”

“To the city. I’ll show you something you should have seen long ago.”

And with that, the silence fell upon them and they continued looking at the stars.

♕ ♚ 

Hello dear everyone!

As a special request from MelMelXOXO, I decided to update this story next! It's been some time, I know and I am really sorry.

Don't you worry your little heads, beauts, next part will be up soon ~~ and it will be longeeer. I only wanted to let you know this story is on the go now, and give you a little treat after the long wait <3

Thank you to anyone who is left here, patiently waiting! <3

 

And now a little something more

NEXT CHAPTER

_________________________

Minseok goes to the town with his father, where he once again meets Jongdae, this time in a situation he would never have even been able to imagine.

Winter is coming (lol) and it is concerning Minseok and the Queen, however, for different reasons.

Jongdae, losing all hope and will to live, finds something that can make or break his future.

Will he use it wisely?

 

♕ ♚ 

 

Spoiler: please, look forward to Fairy~Suho, because why not <3

Merry Christmas!