The Ridiculous

Far Far Away's Own Love Story Drama - Princes, Fake Princes, Fairy Godmothers of Some Sort, and Foolish Wishes.

The Ridiculous

♕ ♚

“Minseok,” his mother came into his room early in the morning, disturbing his sleep, “get up, today is the day!” her cheerful voice rang through the chamber.

The prince only groaned, however, putting a pillow over his head, to isolate the sounds.

“I don’t want to,” he whined, turning to the other side.

“The ball we’ve been preparing for two months is finally here! The guests have been coming since dawn, quickly, get up and start getting for the evening!”

The prince sighed, opening his eyes. He really didn’t feel like getting up, getting ready or meeting anyone. He felt safe in his sheets, and he knew there were only demons waiting for him outside of his room.

“I will be up in a minute.”

“Not a minute, now!” the queen yelled as she was leaving the chamber.

When the doors closed and then opened right away, Minseok rolled his eyes and yelled back:

“I said I’d be back in a moment!”

“Good morning to you too, sunshine,” he heard Kyungsoo’s voice, followed by a soft laugh.

“I’m sorry, Soo,” he apologized, sitting at the edge of his bed, “my mother has been giving me a hard time since the moment she walked into the room… and the sun is not even up above the horizon…”

The other chuckled again and allowing the prince to wake himself up properly, Kyungsoo started walking around the room and out to the balcony.

The wind was still cold, chasing away the remains of the night. The sun rising at above the sea was lighting up the dark valleys and hollows, preparing the world for another day.

“It’s so beautiful,” Minseok whisper, joining his friend, “I hate it…”

“Why?”

“For many reasons. Because I will never experience this moment from any other place. Because although the day is going to be so calm, my soul is a storm. Because while there is so much calmness here, it’s chaos inside of me. Because it’s all an illusion of a picture perfect life I will never have. Because all of this, Kyungsoo…,” he sighed, looking at his friend, “all of this was made for the commoners. They can experience this moment every day. They can breath in the air, they can walk up the mountains, swim across the bay, hell, they can swim across the whole ocean, and if they like they can walk down the valleys. And I cannot do any of it. I am a prisoner, who’s experiencing the world through the bars of his cell… mine are just diamond, blinding me each time I stare for too long.”

“You’ve hardly ever sounded so frustrated.”

“I’m not frustrated, Soo. I’m angry. Furious. I am mad and I am hurt. I got to feel the rough wind of the sandy streets of the city crush against my face as I was running between the buildings. I got to breath in the salty air of the bay, as I was watching the moon turn water into a silver fountain. I heard the laugh of those who had nothing, and it was the most sincere sound I had ever heard. I a man that should be dead, shine brighter than this rising sun… I saw a man risking his life for an apple, the most selfless act I have ever been shown…I’ve experienced a different life, one without chains like mine… one where I could be whoever I want to be,” he sighed, looking at a small bird that sat down on a banister.

“And who do you want to be, my prince?”

“I want to be free, Kyungsoo. Like the wind. Like this bird. I want to experience life, instead of watch it run away from me.”

“Then I am going to ask you again, my friend. Is justice of one thief more important than your own?”

Jongdae,” Minseok whispered, and quickly made it back to his room. He grabbed a piece of paper that was lying on his bed and in a rush started writing on it. “Kyungsoo. Can I ask you a favor?”

Always, my friend,” the younger smiled weakly, his heart aching for his friend.

“Can you take it to the city? Can you deliver it to Jongdae?”

♕ ♚

The sun was already up when Jongdae took the last peek at the sleeping children before he threw his brown robe over himself, ready to leave. Just as he stepped onto the street and closed the door behind him, a figure on a horse rode into the square, stopping in front of him. A short male stepped down, standing straight in front of him.

“I’m looking for someone named Jongdae,” he spoke, his face hidden in under a black hood.

“Why?” the thief asked, taking a good look at the boy in black.

“I can only assume that is you. I was asked to deliver something to you,” he explained, taking out an ivory envelope from him pocket. It had a very neat handwriting on the top that that read

 

For the thief

 

“Who is this from?” Jongdae asked, shocked.

“It’s from Xiumin,” the nodded, and quickly got back on the horse.

“What? Wait!” Jongdae screamed after the stranger, but he was already fastening the horse, rushing in the same direction he came from. “Xiumin?

Jongdae pushed the envelope deep inside an inner pocket of his robe, and made his way to the market. Xiumin will have to wait.

♕ ♚

Hours later the thief came back to the kids carrying a few pieces of bread and two oranges. There was sweat streaming down his face, mixed with drops of blood coming out of his broken eyebrow arch.

“Daedae!” Ria sighed, reaching out to touch Jongdae’s face, “what happened to you?”

“Nothing, don’t worry. Here, take this and bring it to the others. You gotta eat,” he smiled at the little girl, ruffling her dirty hair.

“What about you?” she asked, looking at the food in her hands.

“I’ve already eaten, Ria, this is for you,” he replied, pushing the child inside the house. Two days ago.

Jongdae climbed up to the flat part of the roof, and hiding in the shadow cast by the building standing next to their place, he crushed to the ground, exhausted. He heard something crack beneath him, and that was when he remembered the envelope.

Upon taking it out, he examined the handwriting once again. It was beautiful, detailed and very precise. He slowly opened it, making sure to be very careful and not destroy it.

“Xiumin,” he mumbled again, remembering the last time the saw each other. “Let’s run away.” Jongdae hummed, “did he manage to?” he wondered, opening the letter. The handwriting was as pretty and neat as the one of the envelop.

 

Dear Jongdae,

I am writing this to you in a hurry. I did not manage to run away, as I wished I would. I hope it will be different for you. It is a short goodbye, a rushed farewell that I would like to bid to you. Thank you for letting me take a look at your life. I wish that what I am doing right now will allow me to change all the unjust things that happened to you and the children.

I wish you all the best.

~Min.

 

After finished, Jongdae read it again. And then once more. And yet again. He kept on rereading the words imprinted on the paper until he was almost able to recite all of them.

 

I did not manage to run away.

 

It is a short goodbye.

 

I wish you all the best.

Jongdae swallowed a gulp growing in his throat.

 

I wish that what I am doing right now will allow me to change all the unjust things that happened to you and the children.

 

“What are you doing?” the thief wondered, trying to find the answer on the paper. But it was not there.

♕ ♚

As the sun was nearing the horizon, Minseok took the last breath on fresh air and after imprinting the calm scenery of the world in front of his eyes, he turned around and left the balcony to step inside his room. The glass door separating the inside from the outside were like a barrier, separating Minseok’s dreams from his nightmares.

“Are you ready?” Kyungsoo asked, waiting for the prince by the other window.

The elder near his friend, and looked outside. The window was facing the main entrance to the castle, which gave both of the boys a chance to observe the incoming guests.

“This is nothing but a circus,” he mumbled, sighed heavily.

“It’s gonna be just fine.”

“How do you know?”

“I hope so.”

The first day of the ball was called to me a masquerade, which resulted in a sea of people dressed in, as Kyungsoo put it to Minseok’s amusement, ridiculous costumes.

“I don’t understand why everyone needs to be dressed up,” the younger mumbled.

“I on the contrary quite enjoy that I will not have to pay attention to anyone’s filthy face. If everything goes smoothly, maybe I’ll get through the night without talking to anyone for too long.”

“Your mother made you were your crown, do you really think you’ll be able to hide?”

The prince sighed and turned to stand in front of the mirror. He was wearing nothing but a simple black suit, with matching black dress shoes. Next to him, atop a purple pillow placed on a silver bureau stood a small gold crown and next to it was placed an eye mask. Minseok put both on, and looked at his reflection in the mirror.

The picture of him with the heavy crown on his head was the picture he had always been growing up with. Somehow, nothing felt more right than this. However, there was something missing, but Minseok couldn’t put a name to the feeling.

“For some reason there is nothing that looks better on you than the crown, you know,” Kyungsoo whispered, looking at his friend, standing proudly in front of him.

“I know. This is my right by birth, and my burden. And I will not let anyone take it from me,” he tightened his fists. “Let’s go, Soo. We have a war to win.”

♕ ♚

Jongdae was sitting at the roof, looking towards the castle. The evening was calm, and there was grand music coming from the royal residence. The building was lit up with variety of lights, and was shining like a diamond.

Here, I gift you with three wishes,” Junmyeon’s voice rang in the air.

Jongdae reached to his pocket and fished out the pendant. He played with it for a moment, before bringing it close to his eyes to study it.

“There is no such thing as magic,” he mumbled to himself, “so what is it what I saw? Hmm…”

There’s a ball in the castle. Go, have fun, let yourself enjoy life…

“But could I really?” he started wondering, “could I really enjoy life?”

And then he frowned looking towards the castle again.

“If they do, then so do I,” he nodded, and placed the pendant on his neck, “I too can be selfish.”

He took a few deep breaths in, closed his eyes and whispered, “I wish.”

Upon opening his eyes, he saw a smiling Junmyeon standing in front of him.

“And here I started worrying you’d never call,” he giggled.

“I decided to play your game. Just tell me, what is the price.”

“Price? There is no price,” the fairy smiled, “tell me your wish, and I shall grant it.”

“Let me go to the ball… I want to live before I die.”

Junmyeon smiled softly, before nearing the thief, “close your eyes,” he requested, and Jongdae obeyed.

Although the night was warm, the boy felt cold rush swirl around him, and after it calmed, the fairy asked him to open his eyes up again.

Junmyeon was standing there, smiling proudly, and Jongdae didn’t know why. However, he felt certain part of his body being restricted in movements, and after he looked down, he realized he was wearing a suit. When he touched his face, half of it was covered by mask.

“A mask?” he asked, surprised.

“Haven’t you heard? The first day is a masquerade! Turn around. You should see what you look like.”

Jongdae did as he was told. There was a mirror on the wall behind him, and when he looked at his own reflaction, breath got stuck in his lungs.

“I don’t… I don’t even look like myself,” he mumbled, shocked.

His hair was darker, almost black, which made his skin look lighter. White mask was covering half of his forehead, his right eye, cheek and chin. What hit him the most were his eyes…

“They’re blue… why are my eyes blue?!” he panicked.

“Because I like blue,” the frairy shrugged, and Jongdae almost had a heart attack, “don’t worry kid, it’s only for tonight. Once the spell wears down in the evening, your eyes will be dark again,” he chuckled.

“And so will be my hair, right?”

“Once the sun get ups, you’ll be back to your daily self…”

“I used to have black hair when I was a kid, you know…,” he murmured, running a hand through it, “it went lighter over the last years though.”

Junmyeon’s smile dropped, and a heavy sigh was resting on his chest, “this better works,” he mumbled to himself, growing fond of Jongdae more and more with ever moment.

“Once we enter the castle, they’ll ask of your identity. We need to make you into someone very important to get you inside. So tell me, who do you want to be. A sultan, a tsar, a king of some far away land,” Junmyeon started counting, coming up with more and more ridiculous titles.

I am the Lord of the High Gardens, Junmyeon,” he spoke, as if from the distance, as his gaze was drowning in his own reflection, “you don’t need to make me into anyone important. I already am,” he whispered, and his face turned very stoic.

Junmyeon’s eyes grew big, and there was only one thing threatening to escape his throat:

OH MY FAIRY !

♕ ♚

Minseok was standing right next to Kyungsoo, red drink in his hand, and was observing the hall.

“They’re all like hyenas,” Kyungsoo pointed.

“I wouldn’t use better words myself,” the prince nodded, observing from behind his mask all the faces and all the eyes that were on him.

“But you love the attention, don’t you?” his friend chuckled, taking a sip from his gold cup.

“That I certainly do, Soo,” the elder nodded, also drinking his wine, “it’s gonna be a long night.”

“Minseok!” they heard the queen’s voice nearing them, and they both groaned.

“Kill me, Soo, quickly,” the prince whispered, while turning around to face his mother.

“Minseok, what do you think you’re doing? You cannot spend the whole night standing right by Kyungsoo. You’re night eight anymore. This is your ball, my little prince, go and entertain your guests!”

“They’re your guests mother, not mine,” he pointed, “also, they are the ones who want to win my hand, so shouldn’t they be entertaining me? We all know very well, that I am nothing but an award to be won in here,” he said and was about to leave, when the main door opened once more, indicating another guest.

“I thought everyone was already present?” the queen got distracted and started looking around.

“The Lord of the High Garden has arrived!” a high pitched voice announced, and the queen went pale.

“Impossible,” she only said, hastily looking around for one of her advisors.

Kyungsoo’s eyes also widened, which only confused Minseok even more.

“What is wrong? Why are you so surprised, why would it be impossible?” he started asking.

Kyungsoo looked at his friend and swallowed hard, “because the last lord that resided in High Gardens was brutally murdered fourteen years ago.”

“Find whoever claims to be this Lord and bring him to me!” the queen ordered to the guards, madness almost visible in her eyes, “but be desecrate. I don’t want anything to go wrong with the ball.”

“That’s interesting.” the prince smirked, looking around, “maybe after all, Kyungsoo, the night won’t be so boring.”


Okay, so how was it?