shoelaces

morning & night

The sole of her shoes scraping the dirt of the field track leaves the rupturing beat of her heart pounding in her ears. A panting gasp scrambles out with a smug grin stretching across her sweat beaded face.

 

The exhilarating feeling of being first.  

 

First.

 

A sense of delight dips into her insides like the fluttering kaleidoscope of butterflies when falling in love.

 

She wipes the matted sweat trailing across her forehead. A breathless sigh of satisfaction slips out between her lips, concurring a thrill of excitement. A pat comes somewhere on her back to her shoulders and her head as a congratulating cheer wraps around.

 

Finishing the race was a sprinting success as Chungha stands first. A prideful smile wears on her lips, undoubtful hint of satisfaction gleams in her expression. It's that feeling of fulfillment she has knowing that coming in second wasn't a choice.



 

iv



 

Sejeong plops down onto the grass effortlessly in pants as she attempts to catch her breath. Heaving her chest up and down, a wash of tiredness settles by her side, refusing her to get back up. A sense of guilt pours above her in a thought of failure and Sejeong curls up in pain.

 

Last.

 

The words ring in her ears. She was in last place. The turtle of the team.

 

Her eyes squeeze shut, deep breaths inhaled goes to long exhales.

 

Even coming second to last would have been an exception to this revelation.

 

Still laying down on the grass of the field with the others, a growing shadow crosses her. Her eyes flutter open slowly, peeking above. Yeunjung stands tall, towering, but bends down beside her.

 

“You okay?” she asks, fingers playing with Sejeong’s hair.

 

The older flails her arms in frustration, huffing out consistent sighs. “I’m in last place again.” She gets up to sit, legs out stretched. Yeunjung shakes her head, giving a consoling pat to the back.

 

“It's okay.”

 

“Not when you’re the last one to cross the line,” Sejeong argues. Lifelessly, she plops back down in groans. Her eyes peer over to the rest of the people on her team, and unconsciously her sight clicks on Chungha. “Why can’t I be like Chungha,” she blurts out bluely.

 

A chuckle escapes Yeunjung. “Because you’re not her.”

 

Sejeong slaps Yeunjung’s thigh lightly. “I know that, but I wish I could run like her. You know what I mean.”

 

“Yeah.” Yeunjung takes a look over breathlessly, immersed. “I can ask her if she can help you, y’know? Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea.”

 

“No! No!” Sejeong immediately shoots up from her spot.

 

Creasing her brow, Yeunjung gives a laugh. “Why not?”

 

A reddening rush of pink brushes across her cheek. “It’s embarrassing.”

 

“C’mon, it's fine.”

 

“Please don’t.”

 

A sighs slips out from Yeunjung and she stands back up. “Okay, fine.”

 

Fingers running through the dill green grass, Sejeong bids a thank you in between. And Yeunjung proceeds to take a seat next to her once more when Sejeong pulls her back down. They wait till the race is commenced to end as the sun’s rays continue to burn slick across their skin.



 

iv



 

Third week of practice and Sejeong thinks she’ll end up in the infirmary the next hour.

 

As going through her third lap around the enormous school track, she trails behind Yeunjung in a struggle. Her hand clutches her side at the twisting ache developing and she drapes on Yeunjung for support. Despite the younger girl’s persistent shouts to get off, Sejeong hangs on, legs numbly following along. “How many more?” She whines.

 

Narrowed eyes and long dragging breaths, Yeunjung continues jogging. “One more for me, but three more for you.”

 

“What? How did...that happen?” The burst of energy at the beginning of practice depletes to a straight line. She thinks of coughing up her lungs, death looming right at the tip of her nose. Sejeong begins to slow down to a paced walk. A teasing laugh joyously leaves Yeunjung as she runs off.

 

A profanity stings bitter on her tongue, and Sejeong thinks dying wouldn't be a bad option. With grit teeth, Sejeong picks up running again as she doesn't want to hear the coach’s yell for her to run faster. By the time Sejeong attempts on her laps around the track, Yeunjung finishes.

 

Heat ascends up to her face as sunlight pelts her face. Her eyes follow Yeunjung’s mocking grin when she walks to the others who are also done with their laps. A surge of envy bellows beneath her and Sejeong goes for a faster pace.

 

Amidst all that she panics when Yeunjung slyly makes her way over Chungha, who sits patient under the shade of the bleachers. Frantically, with wide eyes she bores her sight at Yeunjung assuring Chungha something before she points over in Sejeong’s direction.

 

Red flushes in a bright hue, Sejeong pretends not to have seen anything.

 

But by the corner of her eyes, she spots Chungha looking over Yeunjung’s point. Unfortunately, Chungha spots Sejeong as being last one on the track running with evident discomfort written on her face. An airy light chuckle escapes .

 

Sejeong wants to die.

 

Another turn of her head, she sees Chungha fixating her view on her for the second time as she withers away on the spot when the coach begins his constant boisterous yells. He tells her in a booming voice to do another lap and every sense of tiredness starts to strangle Sejeong’s very existence.

 

Practice deems finished for the others when Sejeong allegedly has to survive another lap. The coach calls for Chungha in Sejeong’s dismay, clearing his throat.

 

“Chungha, make sure she doesn't leave until she finishes her extra lap.”

 

In an obedient nod, Chungha agrees relentlessly. The coach leaves, quickly crossing across the field. They both watch him walk back in the school in silence before Sejeong drops down on the track. Her hands fumble to undo her pony tail, dragging her fingers through her hair after. A grim frown shifts onto her lips, an aching sore seeping into her limbs.

 

“Get up.” A voice perks up the atmosphere.

 

A look of confusion settles on her expression. “Excuse me?”

 

Chungha tries to pick the girl up from the collar of her shirt with a pull. “Get up.”

 

A groan emits from and she stumbles with aching legs. “Why?”

 

“You have an extra lap to run.”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Sejeong looks up offended. “I thought you would be more lenient.”

 

Shaking her head, Chungha crouches by her. “But I thought you wanted to improve with my help?”

 

Confusion strikes her another time as she creases her eyebrows. “what?”

 

“I mean your friend, Yeunjung asked me to help you,” Chungha explains with a small completing smile. “She said you needed to improve.”

 

Stopping herself to blow a profanity, Sejeong instead gives a weak grin with a second thought. “Yeah, she's right. I do need to improve, but...”

 

Chungha then give a bright smile, hands clapping together. “Okay then, let's get up.”

 

“Please no.”

 

“If we don't start now, when will we ever.”

 

“Maybe tomorrow.”

 

“C’mon, one more lap won't hurt.” Chungha places a hand on her shoulder in persuasion. Sejeong picks her head up, meeting Chungha’s eyes halfway.  a part of her gives in, a smile already perched on her lips in agreement.

 

“Okay, fine.”

 

Sejeong gets home that day with strained muscles and crumbling joints.



 

iv



 

Next day at school, Sejeong has to hold in the urge to strangle Yeunjung in middle of the hallway. She however gives a harsh slap to the back and an uncanny thank you. Yeunjung returns in a sheepish grin with stifled laughter as she passes by.

 

“How was your extra special training yesterday?” Yeunjung pokes.

 

Closing her eyes then sighing, Sejeong points down to her legs. “Have you not seen me limping the whole day? My legs still feel like they're on fire.”

 

“Sounds good.”

 

She leans back in her chair, stretching out her sore legs. “I don't want to go back. She's going to make me run more again.” Her eyes narrow down to a glare. “This kind of all your fault.”

 

“Me?” Yeunjung points her herself. “I'm being falsely accused here.”

 

Rolling her eyes, Sejeong props her arm up, the side side of her face pressed against her palm. “I have class with her too.” She has a sudden remembrance of Chungha scolding her, nagging her and today was no exception.

 

Gently, chungha moves her hands along Sejeong’s back, signaling her to straighten it. “Don't slouch,” she scolds from behind, slapping her back once more.

 

“Ow, I'm sorry,” Sejeong groans as she proceeds to sit up straight.

 

A soft hint of laughter slips in between the teacher's lecture and her thoughts and Sejeong looks back. Chungha playfully snickers, using her hand to turn Sejeong’s head back to face the front.

 

“It hurts right?” Chungha whispers.

 

“What does?”

 

Chungha peers over to stick a finger out toward Sejeong’s legs. “Your legs, they hurt right.”

 

“What kind of question is that, of course they hurt,” Sejeong hisses.

 

“Mine too.”

 

“You too?” Sejeong raises her brows.

 

“Why wouldn't it. What, you think I'm made of titanium too? Practice was torture yesterday,”

 

“I mean, it seems like it.”

 

“Could you just wake me up when class ends.”

Chungha breathes out, burying her head in her arms.

 

Peeking over her shoulder, Sejeong shakes her head. “No way. Not after making me suffer yesterday.”

 

Chungha’s eyes are already closed and she doesn't bother to listen as Sejeong would wake her up anyway.

 

By the time after school hits by for practice, Sejeong advises a plan to run away before chungha ends up gripping the strap of her bag. There's no plan on escaping even if she tries since Chungha's willing to sprint an extra block down to catch her.

 

When after changing and stumbling her way out the locker room to the track outside, her legs are already burning. Sweat sticks unpleasantly on her skin, all blame to rise of temperature and exposure to the sun. Delved into the stinging sensation on her body, she doesn't notice Chungha appearing by her side.

 

“No Yeunjung today?”

 

Sejeong jolts up in surprise, shoulders stiff. “Oh–uh yeah. She bailed out on practice.” She places a hand on her own chest.

 

“Well I guess you’ll be running with me today,” Chungha gleams. And before Sejeong has a chance to refuse, the whistle blows.

 

The moment after stretches, Chungha pulls Sejeong past the track and steers away the opposite way from the coach’s view.“Where you going?” Sejeong questions, still held in a grip.

 

“We’re going to run around the town instead.”

 

An urge to curl up and die in hole grows stronger in mentality, pursuing a choice to fly a knee kick into Chungha’s face. Sejeong only manages a sigh and follows behind as Chungha makes a turn down the block.

 

“I swear, it's better than running the track,” Chungha says past the rumbling vehicles down the road.  “It's far more entertaining.”

 

A concerning look presses on Sejeong expression. “If you say so.”

 

They stop by a crosswalk, halting at the signal of the glowing red hand. Chungha suddenly bends down, startling Sejeong. “What are you doing?” Sejeong asks, taking a look.

 

Chungha twirls the loose shoelaces into her hands, tying them back together in a simple knotted bow. She gives a gentle pat on them and lifts her head up with a smile. “Your shoelaces were untied.”

 

“I could’ve done them myself.”

 

Chungha stands back up. “Says the one who can barely sit down without whining about how her legs hurt.”

 

With a slight embarrassment, Sejeong averts her eyes. “Thanks.”

 

“No problem.”

 

And in just a moment the signal goes to the walking man. Chungha takes Sejeong’s hand in a clutch, taking both of them for a sudden sprint down a hill. Sejeong’s taken aback, unknowingly following wherever her numb legs decides to run to. Clenching her jaw at the increasing pain in her thighs, Sejeong tries watching the cars pass by them as a distraction. Then Sejeong decides looking at Chungha would be a better.

 

Taking a long run around town, Sejeong nearly collapses on the street, up hill. Chungha places a hand on her shoulder, a sweet candied smile lifting on her lips. “One more lap?”

 

Flushing pink from sweat and heat (and her smile) Sejeong gives a strangled cough. Swallowing down the persistent cry to give up, she lets a wavering grin stretch side to side instead. “Why not.”



 

iv



 

“It’s raining.”

 

“So?”

 

Sejeong stares with tired eyes, a spark of hesitance elating in her movements. “I'm not running outside in this weather.” Her eyes strain up, spotting a speckling drizzle of rain pelting the sidewalk.

 

“That's no excuse, Sejeong.” The shorter crosses her arms. “The next meet is in a week.”

 

A loud whine penetrates between them when Sejeong slips in a childish behaviour. Sleep is starry in her eyes where there's no thought for Sejeong to counter back a refusal. Only with a simple forfeit, the word fine comes dull. She invites Chungha inside her apartment from the rain and the door closes silent. Sejeong scampers away to her room, finding for some clothes to sweat on. Immediately, Sejeong returns back. A hoodie slips on and a pair of sweats does too as she staggers her way to put on her shoes. Her appearance is quite disheveled, but Sejeong figures running her hands along her clothes once or twice means it’s okay.

 

Two thumbs up and a crooked grin, Sejeong grabs for her keys. “Let’s go.” She proceeds after Chungha steps out, closing the door shut behind when she walks out too. She takes a moment’s time to stretch out her stuff limbs, earning a good popping cracks from her joints. Chungha turns around watching Sejeong pull off some old man’s risqué workout stretch, unable to stifle a laugh. “Laugh at me all you want, but this my routine.” Sejeong gives another stretch of her legs and gets up the sidewalk.

 

“I like it,” Chungha giggles, “it's cute.”

 

And Sejeong for the first time finds herself bubbling in happiness at a single compliment. It's another messy feeling prancing in her, twisting up her insides. She finds her ears growing hot, possibly tinted in evident red. Chungha’s voice picks up, questioning it and Sejeong starts running first.

 

She sprints down the next three blocks.



 

iv



 

It’s nine at night and Sejeong opens the door to find Chungha standing in front.

 

“I’ll go change,” in instinct Sejeong mumbles  turning on her heels, but Chungha quickly interjects with a grab of her wrist.

 

“You don't have to. We’re not running today.”

 

“Wait really?” Sejeong raises her brows, hand loosening on the door of the handle. “But then…”

 

“We’re taking a walk instead,” Chungha answers.

 

“This late?” Sejeong turns to face the time. “It's almost ten.”

 

The corner of Chungha’s lips tug up. “It's never too late for anything.”

 

God.” Sejeong cringes and she gives in for another time. “I’ll get my keys and head out.”

 

In small victory, Chungha scores with a confident grin.

 

Under the flickering streetlights lit bright in the park, Sejeong finds the dimming spark in Chungha’s eyes. She’s afraid to ask, gladly keeping it as unanswered. She figures the inducing stress hit her too, a hefty need of sleep protruding both their thoughts. Finals were in a couple of weeks anyway, numerous unpleasant shifts in their sleeping schedule.

 

Chungha ruffles up her hair, brushing it out with a single run of her fingers through. she tiredly rubs her eyes with the back of her hand before taking a chance to speak. “how long has it been since we started?”

 

Sejeong walks along her side, eyes drifting upward in thought. “well if I were to guess, it's been about a week?”

 

“A week? Already?” Chungha stops before she begins walking again in slow steps.

 

“I mean I guess so.”

 

Quiet nighttime stillness envelops them, a lit growth of warmth spreading. They stop on a degrading little hill, arms over each other's shoulders, pristine white shoes digging in the mud. It’s on ongoing river in distinct silence over the railing, committing as a barrier between them. Sejeong builds up a decision to yell to the still waters of the river as her hands cup around . bent a little over the short statured railing, she dangles her arms over.

 

Chungha laughs at the act Sejeong pulls off as she spews nonsense in a loud voice. And Sejeong continues to yell, hands starting to grip right at the railing. Maybe it was good relief of stress when she scrapes out her inner anger, converting it to echoing shouts. Luckily there was no one there at the mean time, only the chirping of crickets and faint sounds of the cars rumbling past. Chungha drags forward, over to where the other stands, heels up. The girl’s on her toes, gaze fixated towards the mesmerizing deep blue beneath them in slow ripples.

 

In between that, Sejeong points out the barely seeable Stars littering in the dying night sky. They both raise their head up, fingers pointing to the all the things seen above. They talk about anything else too that clicks in their head even if it was a pointless fact. A calming time effortlessly brushes by then as they sink into deeper conversations, unbothered by the rest of the world.

 

In sudden action, Chungha plops her back on the cement walk, white bleached shoes digging deeper to hide in the green grass. Seconds later, Sejeong joins her too, beginning to lie down.

 

“Our next meet is soon.”

 

Sejeong turns over, grimacing. “I know.”

 

“Excited,” Chungha playfully comments, poking Sejeong’s cheek.

 

“No,” Sejeong whines, “I haven't even improved yet. Watch me come last place again.”

 

Her hands grab onto Sejeong’s. “Don't say that. It's only like the third meet.”

 

“I can't do it. I'm too slow.” Sejeong looks down. “I just can't.”

 

Chungha tilts her head up, facing up to the night sky. “It's not that you’re slow, it's just that everyone’s a little too fast.”

 

Eyes brighten. “everyone's a little too...fast?”

 

“Exactly. Sometimes people rush themselves to be the best, not actually pacing themselves. Things will usually work out if you take your time, and eventually, sejeong, you’ll gradually improve.” A gentle smile manages on Chungha’s lips. “Don’t listen to those that are willing to bring you down. So, always look–” chungha makes a motion with her hand. “–forward.”

 

Sejeong buries herself in her hoodie with a chuckle. “always look forward.”

 

An arm drapes across her shoulder. “Always.”



 

iv



 

A week before of the final race, Chungha’s desk sits vacant amongst the students for numerous days. And something empty stutters inside her, loneliness seeping through. It’s strange when she thinks about, how the ticking time seems to delay behind its usual schedule, going slower than intentional.

 

Worry comes after, the curious wondrous fear gnawing her insides out. It seems the girl has completely erased her presence so far as no one says a word about it. Sejeong tries not to mind, concluding it was possibly the drastic flu going around, but still feels everything settle uneasily. chungha missed the recent meets,

 

With sighs and vivid daydreams, Sejeong lays on her arm as they drape across the desk. Each lesson through the teacher’s is nothing but a blurry haze and Sejeong still isn't quite used to not having Chungha relentlessly bother behind her. It’s a little out of order for her.

 

In midst of finishing her work for her current class, the girls beside her bustle loudly in several conversations. She's never intended to eavesdrop, but the sparking words of a oncoming rumor sparks her interest.

 

“Did you hear.” The girl seated next to Sejeong leans over to a classmate in secrecy. “Chungha apparently got into a car accident over the weekend.”

 

“What? Wait really?” The short haired girl asks in a gasp, eyes widened.

 

“You didn't hear about it. The people in track possibly overheard a conversation with the coach.”

 

Hand placed over , the short hair one shakes her head. “But like it could be a meaningless rumor. I don't believe it until she tells us with her own words.”

 

Another pipes in, voice in a hushed whisper. “I heard it was a car that hit her.”

 

And immediately Sejeong diverges away from the discussion, unsettled at the matter. So then when the bell rings to signal the end of the school day, she goes to search for Yeunjung, confusion ringing in her head.


 

iv



 

Empty solace fills the void of the room once more and nothing comes to lift the numbing burn flowering in her chest.

 

Flowers and feel better cards sweep the table beside her. A wheelchair and a casted leg lay in front of her. the bed sheets crumple in her fists as a jagged breath croaks out dry. Tears swell up quickly on the brim of eyes in a frustrated well of emotions lashing out in anger.

 

She doesn't know what to do.

 

The heavy door slides open with a soft click and her eyes trail wide over to the figure standing by the opening. Eventually her breath hitches in at the sight. The name burns across her tongue, a sweet tang of certain happiness lifting above. “Sejeong?” Her voice leaves shakily, admittedly alerting the two of them.

 

The latter peeks over the bundle of spring blossomed flowers, poking her head out. “Chungha?”

 

Chungha sits right up on the hospital bed, a small smile lifting upon as the other does too. The light fall her shoes click on the marble floor, and Chungha eyes follow each step towards her. Still in slight shock, her brows stay raised with widened eyes.

 

The rustling bouquet of airy pink roses flowers rests on the table with the others. A new sprouting fragrance fills the room, uplifting the atmosphere.

 

Sejeong shoots an apologetic smile as she pulls a chair closer to the bed. “Why didn't you tell me?”

 

Avoiding her gaze, Chungha averts her eyes away to her own hands. They fumble with the sheets, clear showing of the jittering nervousness inside. Chungha opens , figuring what to say without shattering the dropping atmosphere.

 

“I–It’s just that I didn't want you to worry.”

 

A heavy audible exhale of her breath is heard and Chungha picks up her head. “You not showing up for days with no calls, text, or any way of contact made me worry even more. I even believed for a second you might’ve been dead.” Sejeong frantically runs her hands through her hair.

 

The frantic look of concern manages to crack a weak smile to Chungha’s lips. “How’d you even find me anyway?”

 

“I had to literally pry it out of Yeunjung,” Sejeong flusteredly admits. “You told her not to say anything, right?”

 

“You’re right,” Chungha sheepishly laughs, and at the sight Sejeong can't help but to break into a short lived giggle.

 

“You .”

 

“Come sit next to me.” Chungha makes room on the bed for Sejeong to slip in, but the girl refuses politely. Though with a persistent whine, chungha pulls the other’s arm, lunging her forward.

 

“You’re hurt, Chungha!” She nervously panics.

 

“It's fine.” Chungha consoles her, giving a reassuring smile. Sejeong then senses it's alright and scoots closer to her.

 

“Chungha,” she starts quietly, easing a gentle touch to her face. Her fingers graze the strips of bandages put across the blistering cuts left on her face, and Sejeong burrows in a frown. “What actually happened?”

 

Words caught in , Chungha bites on her bottom lip, trying to attempt at an assuring look. “I was caught in the middle of a drunk driver not stopping at a red light.” Chungha catches Sejeong’s eyes trailing to her casted leg. She feels the pain wash over in a rushing tide. “And my left leg was the casualty.”

 

With absolute concern written all over Sejeong’s expression, and Chungha starts to waver as tears build up in her eyes.

 

“Chungha, this isn't a joke. Your leg could be seriously injured.”

 

“I know.” Lowering her gaze down to hands, chungha lets out a shaky breath as tears start to water her eyes. “But I can't, Sejeong.”


“What do you mean you can't?” Sejeong leans closer, pl

acing a hand over Chungha’s.

 

She shakes her head, squeezing sejeong’s hand in such fear. “I just can't do anything about it.” There’s a clear crack of her voice, sharp as glass. “I ed myself up. What if–what if my leg–what if I can't walk, run properly, I–”

 

“–don't.” Sejeong places a hand on Chungha’s shoulder. “It wasn't even your own fault.”

 

“My legs are all I have,” Chungha whimpers. “If they are critically injured to the point where I can't do anything...Sejeong, I have a full ride scholarship to college from track, but if my legs are messed up–”

 

Sejeong stops her with an embrace. “Look forward. Tell yourself everything’s going to be okay.” She wraps her arms around a little tighter.

 

But Chungha doesn't cry, but buries herself in the hug, forehead pressing against Sejeong’s shoulder. With tired smiles and closed eyes, Chungha wraps her arms around sejeong’s waist tighter. Fingers roughly run across her back in slow treads and Chungha can't help but to hold in a breath.

 

Sejeong pulls back to face Chungha with a gentle smile. “You’re going to be okay.”

 

And Chungha lifts a small shaky grin. “I hope so.”



 

iv



 

The next time Sejeong visits Chungha, she tells her all about the recent meets and races and in return Chungha gleefully explains she’ll hopefully be released before the last race. Sejeong tells her she’s been improving, taking all of her tips into one compilation in her head.

 

But by the time Chungha’s let out of the hospital, she’s stuck in crutches, a cast on her leg. The cuts and bruises her mildly healed, closed together in a faint remembrance. She’s been let out early, given slight precautions and strict warnings about using her leg to which Chungha understands. Though she’s still doubtful of how her leg would be after, Chungha decides to follow the advice on looking on the bright side of things.

 

And the final track race of the season was the perfect distraction.

 

Sejeong sees Chungha underneath the metallic bleachers when she passes by, a thrilling pound of excitement pumping through her veins. She wants to tackle her in a enveloping tight hug, but resists when the blaring blow of the whistle filters in her ears. Only a simple energetic wave happens, and maybe a toothy grin too before Yeunjung and Yoojung pull her away.

 

Chungha gets up, crutches under both arms. She stands by the coach, just in time for the short distance run to where Sejeong was preparing to run. She raises a fist, ing it down in a way to express the words of good luck through actions.

 

Sejeong sees all of it, a dumb founded toothy smile perched on like a struck fool. She sends Chungha a confident nod and gets ready. Feet plant onto the track as she trembles while she waits for the starting gun to trigger the start of the race. A large inhale of breath is taken, words of reassurance rolling in her head.

 

When a loud bang to signal the start echoes, takes the amount of practice she's done back into her hands. Nearly as she's flying, lungs barely gasping in fiery plead for oxygen, she pushes forward and forward only. With clenched jaw and bitten bottom lip, the slight taste of blood counters the tip of her tongue. Despite all that, she's starts off strong, already ahead of a few.

 

Even if being first place wasn’t a possible outcome, any spot above being last was an exception.

 

The bottom of her shoes sliding up from the ground of the track increases the race of her heart pounding loud in her ears. A silent pant stumbles out with a content smile stretching across her sweat beaded face when manages to cross the line.

 

The exhilarating thrill of finishing early leaves a delightful dip inside, blooming.

 

An uneven sigh of satisfaction slips out between her lips. The same thing comes after she’s done with her part where hands give congratulating pats along her head to her back.

 

Finishing the race was a running success as Sejeong stands third. A prideful smile wears on her lips, undoubtful hint of satisfaction gleams in her expression. Being first doesn't always grant happiness, but even the slightest improvement got her smiling content.

 

And the first person Sejeong wants to sprint to is Chungha. On the way, she jumps in glee as the realization of her not coming in last finally happened.

 

“You did it!” Chungha cheers.

 

“Yeah, we did,” Sejeong laughs, “we did it!” She pumps a fist into the air with a little hop and Chungha bends over in a breathless chuckle.



 

iv



 

Emptied and quiet in the school track and field, Sejeong lays down on the grass, limbs splayed out. “God, I'm so tired.”

 

They’re under the bleachers again, shaded away from pink skies above as the bugs start buzzing near their ears. And they’re still there ever since the race finished a few hours ago. Uncaring of the dimming skies changing colors, simply they stay hidden beneath the bleachers.

 

Silence digs itself between them in a comfortable manner as the quietude is nothing bothersome. Legs outstretched, back pressing on the grass near to the track, arms drape across the abdomen to where hands hold together.

 

Chungha picks off a wilting dandelion by the side and attempts to straighten it out. She leans closer, hovering slightly above Sejeong. The flower goes behind Sejeong’s ear as Chungha shyly brushes the girl’s bangs to the side. “You did great, Sejeong.”

 

A soft sigh escapes her lips and Sejeong opens her eyes in a slow flutter. It ruptures a loud thud of Chungha’s heart when their eyes meet in a stare. An unconscious grin spreads on Sejeong’s lips, bright as ever. Hand in hand, a soft whisper runs from Sejeong's tongue. Chungha turns her head to listen and the words escape sweet, hitching a breath in .

 

And she replies back in all smiles, no hint of hesitance in her words.

 

Through untied pastel hue shoes and loose intertwined hands, they both lay in buzzing comfortable silence on the empty track.








 

————

a/n: I'm finally done with this and it's ????

I'm so conflicted ever since Sejeong and Chungha grinded on each other and they were the only reason I was able to make effort to finish.

lately I've been busy with sats testing so a bunch of updates were skipped and this was rushed?? I guess? (I'll fix mistakes soon) However by next week, my regular updating schedule would be back on track and hopefully no more writer’s block.

ps thanks to all the subs and comment so far.