Chapter Three

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

◆◆◆


Looking back, almost everything in this life is temporary.

The good things never last, the bad things leave eventually.

Wound heals. Youth runs out. Life itself is transitory.

It’s what permanent that kills you.

That pain in the hollow of your chest when you breathe, every time you think of that person that’s no longer with you. The memories that burn in the curve of your skin. The guilt that chokes you. The grief that drowns you. The lost that tears you apart.

They never really go away. A constant reminder. Always there. 

Temporary beings like human can’t fathom eternality. 

The idea of being in pain forever kills you.

 

 

“Young Ah.”

“What ?”

“Do you have any more of that left ?” 

Young Ah looked at where Hyerin’s eyes were directed at, her beer can. Perplexed, she just gave a simple nod. Hyerin didn't drink beer. Hell, Hyerin didn't drink, because she can’t get drunk. She only drinks wine, and only when they dine properly or on those few times they wanted her to join, but that’s it. She never gets wasted, no matter how many bottles she finished. 

Once, in their freshmen year, they met up during their weekend break. They made her drank bottles of soju, but at the end of the day, she was the one who drove them home. 

But beer, although subtle, have the strongest effect on her. It's the only drink that could get her tipsy, or at least a little light headed.

“There’s a pack in the fridge. Why ?”

“Can I have some ?” She stood up, already walking towards her best friend's kitchen, rummaging her fridge for a can of the booze.

Young Ah knew something was wrong even before they got to her house, but even when she watched Hyerin opened the beer and took a sip, she still couldn't figure out what could it possibly be, but she knew Hyerin enough to know that she'll talk about it when she wants to.

“Young Ah.”

“Hyerin, why are you drinking ?” 

Hyerin walked out of the open kitchen, sauntered lazily to the living room back to her place on the two-seaters. Young Ah, who sat in the armchair, watched as Hyerin wrapped the wool throw around her body, sipping the cold beer. Her eyes fixed on the thriller movie before them, although, it didn’t seem like she was watching it at all. They continued watching what’s left of the movie in silence, or rather Young Ah did since Hyerin was barely listening to what the character was yelling about.

“Young Ah.”

“Hm.”

“I miss Minho.” 

Young Ah almost choked on her beer, “Yah, he’s going to be home in like, two days from now ! Stop with the sudden sappiness, it’s weird.”

“I wish he’s here,”

Young Ah paused, “Park Hyerin, are you okay ?”

“I’m going to die.”

“Yup, you’re drunk.” Young Ah took the can from Hyerin’s grip, surprised to find it empty. Before she could pull Hyerin up, the latter girl already lay across the couch. “It’s cold out here. Let’s go in.”

Hyerin refused to wake, curling deeper into the comfort of the throw. Sighing in defeat, Young Ah took her blanket and pillows from her room to make Hyerin more comfortable while bringing extra for her to sleep later on since it was still early. Looking at the clock, she saw that it was barely 11. 

After making sure that Hyerin was all warm and comfy, Young Ah started cleaning the pizza boxes and beer cans on the table. She smiled as she remembered Hyerin’s reaction to the pizza earlier. 

“How good ?” Young Ah asked as she saw Hyerin closed her eyes after taking a bite.

“Insane !” Hyerin said as she took another bite. Young Ah laughed at her words, still can’t believe that she was eating fast food that was ordered in with Park Hyerin.

“I can’t believe I was going to let myself die without knowing the taste of delivery pizza.” Hyerin chuckled.

“I wasn’t going to let you.” Young Ah replied. “I’ll bring it to your death bed if I have to.”

Young Ah decided to finish her painting before she sleeps since this time closer to midnight was when she was the most friendly with the colours. She dimmed the living room’s light before heading to her drawing room, letting Hyerin rest comfortably. Seating in front of the easel with her apron, she started to press her brush on the canvas.

Young Ah didn’t even realize how much time has passed by, but when she heard the scream from the living room, she was halfway done with the painting. She set her brush down and removed her apron before dashing to the source of the voice.

As Young Ah brightened the light of the room, she saw Hyerin writhing on the couch, clutching her chest, while her other hand fisted the throw. Her whimpers filled the room, followed by the sound of her sobs. Alarmed, Young Ah rushed to her side, trying to see the source of the pain.

“Hyerin, can you breath ?” The panic in her voice was evident. 

Only tears came out of Hyerin’s tightly shut eyes as she continued to cry, her hands not letting go of the front of her shirt. Young Ah was going to get Hyerin up, but the girl would cry out every time she even tries. Not knowing what to do, Young Ah quickly called the only person she knew that could come quicker than an ambulance could.

“Oh, God. It's Hyerin. Come here now.”

The bar was filled with businessmen and spoiled rich heirs, sipping on their cocktails and whiskeys. The jazz music filled the room, making everything feel more luxurious than it ought to be. Jaehwan had never favour drinking in the high-end bar, but tonight, he doesn’t feel like drowning himself in the loud atmosphere of a club, nor in the plastic curtains of street stalls. really

That was why he chose to sit on the leather stool of the downtown bar, sipping the expensive liquor, hoping it could knock him out until he doesn’t have to think of the horrible, terrible news he just came to learn today. He closed his eyes, relishing on the burnt taste of the liquor in his throat, that he wished could numb the pain, as he swallowed the last sip of his fifth glass, or was it sixth ? He had no idea. 

However, no matter how many times he asked for another shot, he couldn’t seem to get himself drunk. Which was very weird because even though he could hold his drink, he couldn’t hold it that well. Also, he started to think that it was futile to fool himself that by getting himself drunk, he might pass out just to wake up from this whole nightmare.

Sighing, he filled his glass one more time, hoping this might be the round that’ll knock him out, eventually. 

Jaehwan suddenly flinched as a hand crept up on his back, curling around his neck. He closed his eyes, suppressing himself from shrugging it off his shoulder. This random stranger might be the congressman’s daughter, and he doesn't have the moment of the day for that headache.

“Hey. handsome. Mind buying me a drink ?” The girl slurred, clearly had a few drinks already.

“You see, I'm kind of broke.” He said nonchalantly.

The girl seemed taken aback, clearly not expecting his answer, “Excuse me ?”

“Oh,” Jaehwan continued. “I have a girl at home too. She's real trouble.” 

“She's obviously trouble if you're here drinking alone when she's at home.” The girl snickered, inviting herself to the high bar stool next to him. “I could help you lose some of that tension.”

Jaehwan could only chuckle, preventing himself from making

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter