Chapter 1

Colours (one-shot)

 

Colours

Gui Gui was extremely unlucky in love. Every time she liked someone the person didn’t like her back, and every time she dated someone the person appeared to be either a complete jerk, gay or only being interested in her because of her best friend, Hebe (which leads back to the jerk-thing.) she fell in love very easily and always ended up being heartbroken. Everyone looked down on her because of her stupidity and naivety, but she didn’t care. She was going to prove them that she could have a relationship that could work out. She simply had to. She already had the target; the cute, arrogant musician from her worked; Aaron Yan. Gui Gui was a personal shopper together with her friends; Hebe, Selina, Ella, Ya Tou, Albee and Julie. Aaron was a new client of Hebe, and though he seemed pretty reserved when he walked around in suits and talked to someone with a headset he had this calming energy. Gui Gui had secretly listened to some of his conversations, and found out that he was a heir of a company that produced musical instruments, though he rather would be a musicians. She looked herself in the mirror, before she started doing her makeup. Her uniform only consisted of a navy-coloured polo shirt, a high-waist black skirt, black tights and black heels. She always pulled her hair back in a ponytail, as it worked better with the uniform. She always wore a medium shade of pink coloured lipgloss, at the colour looked good at her, and she always wore fake lashes. Her eyeshadow-colour changed as her mood. That day she decided to wear light grey-coloured eyeshadow. She analyzed if everything was even; just because she had to wear a uniform it didn’t mean that she couldn’t stand out. She smiled, and walked out of the door. There was a bus stop just next to her house, and one very close to her work, so she didn’t have to walk a lot.
She paid the bus driver, and found an available seat. At the next stop someone decided that he wanted to sit beside him.
“Wu Ying Jie? It’s a long time I’ve seen you last time… How’s you life?” the guy asked. She looked at him. It was Qiu Sheng Yi, her ex boyfriend. Great. She quickly spotted a ring on his finger. She couldn’t let him know that she was still single, with bad luck in love. He was the one who jinxed her. He was the one who said “you’ll never have a relationship that’ll work out if you don’t stay with me!” when she dumped him, after finding out that he was cheating on her.
“My life? It’s okay… I’m working as a personal shopper in this weird department store, where the pay is pretty good… And then I’m with this guy…” she said, and tried to sound convincing.
“Really? What is his name?” Sheng Yi asked. She picked the name that firstly crossed her mind.
“Aaron Yan…” she said.
“Yeah?” she heard someone say behind her. She turned around. Why was Aaron riding the public bus? He was rich; he had cars and limos and so on…
“Aaron? What a coincidence to meet you here… This is my old classmate, Sheng Yi.” She said and looked at him to make him understand. Luckily he was both clever and kind hearted.
“I see… Hello, Sheng Yi, I’m Aaron” he said. She sighed; she was relieved.

When both Gui Gui and Aaron had gotten off the bus they started talking. He had changed back to his normal attitude, which was annoying, harsh and cold, but she couldn’t help but smile at it. What had just had happened felt like their own little secret.
“What was that about?” he asked her, and made a blaming face.
“Well, I’m very sorry, but if you didn’t want to help me out with my ex boyfriend who has ruined my life, you could’ve just ignored me. It’s not like I forced you.” She said, and tried to look like she didn’t care, though she did. She cared a lot. Way too much, actually.
“Sorry for helping you. But let me give you one advice. Be honest with the persons from you past, ‘cause lying to your past is just as bad as lying to yourself and lying to yourself will complicate your future.” He said. She was totally gone in his words. How could someone SOUND handsome?
“Then let me give you advice too. That shirt isn’t really you colour, you should try something more youth-like” she said and looked at his red-wines coloured shirt. He flashed a bright smile that could make any girl soft in her knees.
“I will keep that in mind” he said. She looked at her watch.
“Oh my god, I’m late… Sorry, I’ve got to rush!” she said and started running towards the huge department store that she was working in. He kept on standing at the same place, steady as a rock, looking at how her ponytail swung from side to side. He noticed that she was having troubles running, as she was wearing heels. He laughed to himself.
“What a weird girl”

“Gui, it’s the third time in this week you’re late!” Hebe complained when Gui Gui arrived. Gui Gui flashed a smile, though it didn’t have the effect she wanted it to have.
“Hebe, let me tell you a secret… I’m in love, I’m in love, I’M IN LOVE!” she shouted happily, and hugged Hebe.
“Not again… Gui, didn’t we agree to you staying away from the dating-market, so you could recover your heart?” Hebe asked.
“Please, it’s already a month ago, and as you can see I’m fully recovered!” Gui Gui said and smiled. She looked at Hebe in a convincing way, trying to make her believe in every word she said. It wasn’t very hard, as Gui Gui believed in them herself. She suddenly remembered something.
“Why isn’t Mrs. Wang here? Oh my god, she’ll totally report this to our boss! I’m SO getting fired!” Gui Gui said while panicking.
“Gui, Mrs. Wang called in sick, she’s not coming today, though our boss really wanted to talk to you” Hebe said. Gui Gui’s knees turned into gel.
“Why?” she asked.
“She didn’t mention…”

Gui Gui was standing outside the door of her boss’ office, wanting to knock at the door, but not being able to. She just looked at the sign saying “Ariel Lin, store manager” in gold. She sighed. Someone opened the door and walked out. The person wasn’t someone Gui Gui knew, but she looked pretty fashionable, and was wearing the same uniform as Gui Gui.
“Wu Ying Jie, you can come in now” her boss said coldly. Gui Gui took a deep breath and walked in.
“Please sit down” her boss said. Gui Gui wondered how someone could stay so calm in a situation like this, but then again… It didn’t have anything to do with Ariel if she lost her job. She sat down.
“So, Wu Ying Jie, I have been noticing that you have been giving a lot of our clients advice to buy coloured stuff lately. In your department we sell suits and formal dresses… therefore I decided to make you switch departments with Angela, whom you just saw walking out.” The boss said. Gui Gui didn’t know if she should laugh or cry.
“What department did Angela work in before?” she asked.
“She worked in our casual department. The most of our colourful clothes is sold there, and I think that you’ll work better around colours” Ariel said determined.
“Thank you, lady boss” Gui Gui said and smiled.
“You may leave now. Remember, casual clothing, not formal.” Ariel said. Gui Gui nodded, and hurried to her new department.

When Gui Gui saw some the outfits that they sold, she suddenly felt happy. The most of them were brand names, or made by less famous, but not less expensive designers, but she didn’t care, there were colours. Her newfound happiness was quickly destroyed.
“’ey, new girl, what’s your name?” a girl behind her asked. Gui Gui turned around.
“Excuse me? Are you talking to me?” she asked.
“Do you see anyone else?” the girl asked. She had long, red-brown hair that reached the middle of her back. She was actually pretty, though she seemed pretty tough, judging by her way of speaking.
“I’m Wu Ying Jie… What about you?” Gui Gui asked.
“My name is Rainie.” The girl answered. She sent Gui Gui a killer-glare, which made Gui Gui find her pretty scary, so Gui Gui tried out with her sweetest smile. It didn’t help. The girl seemed chronic angry. A salesgirl walked Gui Gui’s way.
“’ey, new girl, Wu Ying Jie, you have your first costumer!” the salesgirl said. Gui Gui wondered if everyone in her new department communicated like that. She found it pretty scary… at least until she saw the guy.
“Aaron Yan?” she asked and smiled widely. He smiled back at her.
“Wu Ying Jie” he answered and nodded, while smiling his heart-melting smile.
“So, what can I do for you, Mr. Yan?” she asked and smiled in a teasing way. He laughed at her.
“Well, someone told me that I had to look a bit more young, and get some coloured clothes, so I figured out that this would be the place to go” he laughed.
“Aaron?!” the tough girl, Rainie, from before said. Aaron looked like he wanted to hide.
“Rainie? What a pleasant surprise. How’s your relationship with Show going?” Aaron asked her. He had suddenly turned back to his serious, cold attitude. Gui Gui could figure out that something must’ve happened between them in the past.
“It’s pretty good, I’m finally with someone who actually dares to spend his time with me. You must know how much it hurts when someone you’re with chooses his job over his girlfriend!” she answered angrily.
“Then you must know how much it hurts when someone you love cheats you, and starts doing stuff with your best friend behind your back, ‘cause that’s serious heartbreak, you know.” Aaron wasn’t the type of guy who yelled, but though he wasn’t loud, he was very creepy. He looked like he didn’t care one little bit about the world around him.
“Aiya, Aaron, let’s start finding some nice, colourful clothes for you…” Gui Gui tried. Aaron smiled at her. He looked like he wanted to think for a while, but he apparently made his decision quick.
“Of course, Wu Ying Jie, but would you please tell Rainie here that I don’t have time at first?” he asked her. Gui Gui nodded.
“Rainie, I’m really, really sorry, but your ex boyfriend doesn’t have time to argue with you right at the moment…” Gui Gui said nervously. Rainie shot her a death glare and walked away. Aaron smiled.
“Relationships are like glass… sometimes they break, and you’ll have to let them be, as collecting up the peaces really hurts” he explained. Gui Gui nodded; she understood what it was about.

“What about this?” Aaron asked. It was an hour later, and they were still picking up clothes. At that moment he was wearing a pink shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and a green vest. Gui Gui shook her head.
“Try the next outfit, I’m sure we’ll find something colourful that suits you” she said and smiled. Aaron nodded, and closed the door to the changing room again. Gui Gui started looking in a fashion magazine. She was completely sure that every girl wanted to look like one of those girls; skinny, pretty and wearing great outfits. But the problem was that you couldn’t edit human beings like you edited pictures. That was just life.
“This?” Aaron asked. She hadn’t even noticed that he had opened the door. She looked at his outfit. He was wearing a bright, red polo shirt, with the same blue jeans as before. He was holding a black tie in one of his hands.
“I was wondering if you could tie this?” he asked. She laughed.
“You’re so rich, and yet you can’t tie your own ties? Jeez…” she said and laughed.
“Well, my maids always tie my ties…” he explained, while laughing.
“But of course I can, I used to work in the party-wear department, you know… What kind of knot would you want me to tie for you?” she asked and smiled. He thought for a while.
“Can you tie a Pratt knot?” he asked, smiling. She laughed.
“Well I could, but it’s too conservative for the outfit you’re wearing. I would recommend a Four in Hand knot” she said and smiled. He nodded, and she tied the tie. He looked amazing in the outfit. She watched him, took a few steps back and looked at him again.
“Perfect” she said. He smiled.
“Hey, my company is having this party in the weekend to celebrate a deal with this huge store, and I was thinking if you would like to attend? It’s pretty formal, but I’m sure that you’ll have some formal clothes with the ‘pretty good’ pay that you mentioned about earlier” he said and smiled charmingly. She nodded, while blushing.
“Cool, I’ll put your name on the guest list” he said.

At Saturday Gui Gui was standing in front of her closet, wondering what to wear. She was at that moment, debating with herself. She was trying to pick “the dress” out of three different dresses, all of them with major bows on. There were a pink one, a baby pink one, and a blue-like silver coloured one. All of them reached right under her knees. The most formal one of them was definitely the blue-silver one, but the others were cute and suited her image… she decided to call Hebe. It rang for a while, but in the end someone answered.
“Hello?” Hebe asked.
“’Ey Bee… I’m sort of facing a crisis here!” Gui Gui said.
“Explain” Hebe sighed.
“I’m invited to this formal party in a huge company, and I have NO idea what to wear…”
”Don’t worry; I’ll come over to help you.”

When Gui Gui finally arrived to the party she wasn’t wearing any of the original dresses; she had borrowed one from Hebe. The top was orange and the bottom was green, but even though it was colourful, it was still very elegant. It was loose from the waist and down, while it was tight from the waist and up. Her hair was in curly pigtails, which was very typical Gui Gui. She was wearing a little more makeup than usually, but not much. She looked stunning. The doorman looked weird at her.
“I haven’t seen you around before. What’s your name?” he asked. His smile was sort of scary, but he actually seemed pretty nice.
“Wu Ying Jie” she said and smiled. The doorman quickly skimmed through the list. Gui Gui kept on smiling.
“Who invited you?” he asked and looked at her like she was a thief.
“Aaron” she answered.
“Aaron Yan? Wait here” the doorman said. A little while after he came out with Aaron.
“This young lady claims to be invited by you, but I don’t see her name at the list” the doorman explained. Aaron looked at Gui Gui.
”Wow…” he said. He quickly looked at the doorman “she’s with me; she’s allowed to go in”
The walked in. Aaron looked at Gui Gui.
“Well, I hope you’re okay with being my partner” he said and smiled. She smiled back at him.
“Of course I am” she answered.
“Then… Can I have this dance?” he asked. Gosh, he was SO charming. She took his hand, and they started dancing. That was what she would consider happiness.

***
I hope you enjoyed it (:
Please, please, please comment (:
-Gril4Life