Part 1/3

Let Death Not Take Thee

Hyesung woke up to the sound of crickets chirping.

He’s in a grassy field, the gentle night breeze running through the blades of grass and tickling his nose. Hyesung noticed first the stars in the dark sky up above, then the wan moon, three-fourths in completion. It was while looking at the vast expanse of the night sky that Hyesung realized that he remembered nothing. Not how he got here, not who he was, not where he was—nothing.

He only knew two things and two things only.

Firstly, his name: Hyesung.

Secondly, he had a mission. It was a mission to kill The Accursed One, Sorcerer Lee Sunho.

Hyesung did not know what this sorcerer looked like, only his name, his title. He didn’t know where to find him, he didn’t know why he had to slay this person, but it was his mission. His purpose even. The only thing he could hold onto other than his own name in the emptiness of his blank mind.

So Hyesung got up, looked at the sky once more in goodbye, and began a long journey to fulfill his mission.

-

Bubbles frothed forth from test tubes. The cauldron burned hot above the crackling blue fire. Slosh, slosh went its contents, purple in color and dark in hue. The table was cold (was it steel?) but his body was surging with warmth. A hand hovered above him, hesitant, before settling against his chest.

“Well? How is it, Hyesung?”

-

Hyesung found himself in his first town after a long night’s walk. He was haggard, weary, and with nary a coin on him to afford food and shelter (How strange it was, he forgot everything but still understood the value of money), but the townspeople welcomed him all the same. How trusting they were to a stranger, one who didn’t even know anything but his own name!

“Eat up, dear, before it gets cold! Goodness just look at you, you look like you haven’t had a good meal in ages.”

Hyesung took the proffered soup with a smile of gratitude; thankful to any goodwill he was given. The innkeeper was a boisterous woman with a hefty set of lungs but an even bigger heart. The very moment she laid eyes on Hyesung she had insisted on having him over so he could clean up and eat something warm. Hyesung couldn’t be any more thankful for her kindness.

“Such a thing to happen to a fine young lad, though,” she sighed, “Losing your memories! I can’t imagine what that must feel like.”

Hyesung listened to her prattle on with half-hearted interest, but his sole attention was on finishing the mouth-watering soup in front of him. He ate carefully, blowing lightly on the soup before he put a spoonful in his mouth. Hyesung was so engrossed in his eating that he did not realize that the innkeeper had stopped talking.

When he finally did, he noticed that the innkeeper lady was staring at him, a thoughtful expression on her round face. With a quirk of his brows, Hyesung looked up and asked, “Is there something wrong?”

The woman (Hyesung needed to learn her name) smiled and shook her head. “Nothing sweetie, just thinking that if you need a place to stay and work I can offer you some work. With your handsome face this place will be attracting customers from towns over! Ha!”

Her boisterous laughter was joined with other customers that were hanging about the inn’s bar area, some even voicing their agreements with her. Hyesung could only give them all a hesitant smile, unsure of what to feel in that kind of situation. Thankfully a loud bang drew everyone’s attention away from him, and he could eat his soup in peace once more.

“Eric, you rascal, would it kill you to open the door gently? You’re tearing it off its poor hinges!”

Hyesung chanced a look to where the commotion was, and was greeted by the sight of a man hefting a dead boar on his back. He was smiling wide and apologizing to the innkeeper’s every word, but a gift of boar was enough to placate the angry woman.

“Honestly, you never change,” the innkeeper sighed, but was obviously happy by the large game, “Oh! And Eric, dear, meet Hyesung. He wandered into town all dirty and penniless so I offered him some soup and a place to stay. It kind of reminded me of how we all met you.”

Hyesung snapped to attention at that, hope kindling in his chest at the thought of someone who might share the same fate as he. Eric looked at him, eyed him head to toe, and smiled at him before extending a polite hand.

“Hey there, my name’s Eric. So you’re Hyesung, is it?”

Hyesung took his hand and smiled back, shaking it firmly. “Yes, it’s very nice to meet you, Eric.”

-

Grass, he could smell grass. And flowers he couldn’t identify. It brought him the image of an open field, full of sunshine and botanical life of every color. He could smell something else too, a warm fire, worn books, and exotic spices.

“Could you see it? Smell it? Hear it?”

He could see blurs of pink, purple, green and white, interwoven with each other like a toddler’s painting. But the colors didn’t mix, they were each their own shade and hue, existing in harmony with the other colors.

“Can you? Can you tell me, Hyesung?”

-

Eric, as it turned out, was not an amnesiac, but his past was no less shrouded in mystery. He was like Hyesung: arriving in town haggard, tired and with no gold to his name. He only had the clothes on his back, a worn bow and a sheaf of arrows by his side. He told everyone that he was a hunter by trade and it showed. He was skilled with his bow and frequently brought large, difficult game for the innkeeper—to whom he was indebted to for taking him in and repaid her kindness by giving her all his catch.

Hyesung had decided to temporarily work for the innkeeper, until he could find some means to continue on with his quest. Hyesung became a sort of attraction over the months he was staying at the inn, truly attracting customers from towns over just as the innkeeper had said. Especially after they had discovered his skill with the lyre and his talent as a singer. Hyesung would sing some nights and play the lyre for the customers the other nights. And on the days when the innkeeper would shoo him away from working, he'd take up different jobs from various townspeople to earn money. He knew he would need it when he left the town.

Living in the inn meant living with Eric, and their cohabitation had made them close over time. Though Eric would not divulge his past, Hyesung would not pry, and they established a friendship borne between two people with similar blank slates. But Eric always had a dour look whenever Hyesung sang his song or played his lyre, something Hyesung never had the courage to ask about.

However one night, after Hyesung had sung for the customers and was about to turn in, Eric stopped him in the hallway, inviting him for a drink over at his room. Hyesung had been hesitant at first, insecurity from lack of social experiences, but accepted after a moment’s deliberation.

“What’s that song you’re always singing?”

It had been several gulps of alcohol later did Eric ask that question. Hyesung honestly didn’t know what it was—it was a song with a language no one understood and a strange, haunting tune. But it felt natural for him to sing it, as if it was etched onto his heart and he was only an instrument to play the song of his soul. He’d heard talks from some of the customers about it being a magical melody, but there was no proof that it was. Especially since he remembered nothing but the lyrics and the tune to the song.

And, a part of Hyesung did not want to think about what kind of spell it could be if it was magical. Hyesung knew some questions were better left unasked.

But Eric looked incredibly serious as he asked that, so Hyesung told him as much as he knew—which was next to nothing, but still better than remaining silent. Eric was quiet, contemplative, for a moment before he set down his drink and leaned in close to Hyesung.

“I’m going to tell you a secret, but you have to swear that you won’t tell anyone else. Swear it.”

“I swear I won’t tell anyone,” Hyesung said, heart racing, excitement coursing through his veins.

Eric relaxed slightly, drawing back from the close proximity. Hyesung watched him as he took a long gulp of his drink before speaking, “I’m on the hunt for a sorcerer.”

Hyesung’s heart thumped. “A sorcerer?”

“They’re masters of magic, people who’ve surpassed the boundaries of a human being without losing their humanities,” Eric said, “Well, most of them.”

“Most of them?”

“There are few, very few mind you, who’ve become more than human—on their quest for power they’ve lost their way and become no more than monsters. I’m in the hunt for that kind of sorcerer.

“Well, in truth I’m only after one sorcerer.”

“Who?” asked Hyesung.

Eric looked him in the eye, his gaze stone cold and sharper than the steel of a blade. He said, plainly, “We do not say his name in fear of the Curse.”

Hyesung’s shoulders dropped at not getting a name, but the Curse piqued his interest. Could The Accursed One be connected to this Curse somehow?

“Then why did you ask me about the song?”

“I…I’ve heard the song before, a long time ago,” Eric murmured, face blank but his eyes spoke of horrors Hyesung did not know of, “That tune, I heard that tune play as the sorcerer’s might ravaged my village and left me the only one standing.”

Hyesung sat back, appalled. “I-I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to bring back such memories—”

“No, no, it’s okay. I just wish you would remember something so I can finally get a damn lead.”

They sat in silence for a while, drinks forgotten and lost in thought. Hyesung was conflicted. On one hand he was reluctant to tell anyone of his mission for reasons even beyond his own understanding, but on the other hand... Eric was his friend. Friends helped each other. Hyesung may be an amnesiac, but he knew as much.

“Eric, I need to tell you something too.”

“Hm? What is it?”

“Truthfully, I remember something other than my name.”

Eric’s eyes widened, “Really? Then why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because I’m hunting for a sorcerer too,” Hyesung said gravely, “A sorcerer who goes by the title The Accursed One.”

-

“Hmm, hm hm hm~ Hmm, hm hm…Oh dear, how did it go again?”

Bookshelves higher than he was tall, lined with tomes of more languages than he could count. A worn ladder sat by the side, trusty and ready to serve despite its age. An open book. Sheaves of paper. Splattered ink upon an oaken table. A feather quill dipped into a bottle of ink. He remembered a hand, a gentle hand, leafing through the pages of a leather-bound book.

“Hmm, hm hmm hm…No, that’s not it.”

He remembered feeling the grains of wood, the stickiness of ink, the softness of the quill. He remembered a smile directed at him, gentle. Gentle, he remembered such gentleness, but such sadness too. Such a sweet, mournful smile.

“It’s no good, huh?”

-

Hyesung was finishing packing up his meager belongings when he heard a knock on the door to his bedroom. When he opened it, he found Eric with a bag of his own, nodding at him.

“Need some help? I’m done packing up my stuff so I’ll be happy to help you pack yours.”

Hyesung smiled but declined his offer. Mentioning that he’s just finished packing.

“Good. The caravan won’t leave until an hour or so, so we could take our time saying goodbyes to everyone.”

After Hyesung’s revelation, Eric had—after getting over his initial surprise—drilled Hyesung for everything he knew, his hands clamped down on Hyesung’s shoulders. Hyesung told him the truth: that he woke up in a field remembering only his name and that it was his mission to slay The Accursed One.

“Do you know where he is?”

“No, but I remember his name and—and—”

“And? Out with it, man!”

“And I see things—visions, memories, I don’t know what they are. But I see them sometimes. And someone keeps calling my name,” Hyesung said quickly, “I don’t know who it is, but whatever they are—it could be connected to The Accursed One.”

Eric sat back then, muttering, “Well, this is better than nothing.”

And so began their plan: to leave town and officially begin Hyesung’s journey to slay The Accursed One. It was a plan that took months to prepare for, both Eric and Hyesung began working odd jobs around town to earn money as their work at the inn did not earn them any wage. Eric had also begun teaching Hyesung the way of the sword, how to make a hit, how to block attacks and so on. Hyesung soaked up the knowledge like a sponge.

(“Are you sure you’ve never used a sword before?”

“I wouldn’t know, I can’t even remember what my favorite color is.”

“What is it then?”

“I don’t know!”)

It wasn’t long before Hyesung was besting Eric at swordfight, baffling both Eric and himself. Eric was not as adept with the sword as he was with a bow and arrow, but he was no rookie himself. Though Hyesung knew Eric wanted to ask more questions than he did, he never did and Hyesung tried to ignore his stares whenever they practiced his swordsmanship.

But, aside from apparently being a great teacher, Eric had also turned out to be a great friend. Eric was an easy-going man, a good listener, but with a strange personality. Hyesung was grateful to have made a friend in Eric, playful as the man was. Eric was one of the few people Hyesung had met who didn’t treat him like a piece of glass.

(“It can’t be helped, you look pretty delicate is all.”

“I am not delicate!”)

But more than that, Hyesung felt he had found a trustworthy comrade to aid him in his quest. He didn’t exactly know why, but a feeling inside of him, a small voice at the back of his mind, told him that he would need all the comrades he could get.

He didn’t understand, but he wouldn’t question it. So he accepted Eric’s companionship with open arms and a thankful smile.

Hyesung took one good look at Eric, smiling down at him, and thought that his quest won’t be so bad if he could have friends like him.

-

“Are you lonely, Hyesung?”

Some nights were colder than others, and on one of those nights he felt the chill right down to his bones. A cloak was wrapped around him, a rich green in color—the color of emeralds, of trees and grass. A hand reached out to gently caress his cheek. It’s cold, colder than the winds that cut deep into his skin.

“Am I not enough anymore, Hyesung?”

The hand retreated. And suddenly he was engulfed in a burning heat that scorched his very being to his core. There’s a gasp, and he didn’t know if it came from him or from the voice calling out to him.

“I’m sorry, Hyesung. I’m so sorry.”

-

They travelled through numerous towns, working at the merchant caravan—that had graciously allowed them to ride with them—and other jobs to make more money for equipment. Monsters and beasts would only get stronger the further they went beyond the town where they started, so they need to stock up on the best equipment they could afford.

By the fourth or so town they stopped over, Eric called him over and told him that they were to head separately from the merchant’s caravan. They said their ‘thank you’s and ‘good bye’s and left for the town where Eric’s informant resided.

“His name is Minwoo,” Eric said as they began their long walk to their destination, “He’s the one who gives me info and tips on sorcerer activity. The reason I was in that town for so long was because Minwoo told me that the town had been rife with suspicious activity as of late.”

Hyesung’s eyes widened, “Really?”

“Yeah. I didn’t find anything related to Him, but I did find you so I guess it was worth it?”

On receiving a strong punch in the arm from Hyesung, Eric corrected himself with a wince, “Sorry, I meant it was definitely worth it.”

It was a two-day long journey by foot. The time not spent walking through deep forest was spent honing their skills: Hyesung with his brand-new steel sabre and Eric with a new bow to replace his old one. They fed on the creatures of the forest and slept in turns to guard the camp from the wilderness around them. It was supposed to be an exhausting ordeal for someone’s first time questing, but Hyesung oddly felt fine—energetic, even.

It did not go unnoticed by Eric either. More than once the man would ask him if he was okay and was wary bordering on suspicious when Hyesung replied with the affirmative. Though they were comrades in arm, Hyesung’s past—full of questions unanswered and countless mysteries—was still reason for distrust. Hyesung did not blame Eric—could never blame Eric. He himself was often lost in the numerous questions he had about his own blank memories.

Thankfully, the journey itself wasn’t too terribly long when one busied themselves fending off monsters and wildlife. Eric mentioned something about the increase in monstrous activities since the last time he was there. He hoped the townspeople had been fending them off all right, he said. Hyesung could only nod, unconcerned.

When they arrived Hyesung was surprised when he saw how bustling the town was despite being on the other side of dense forestry. Hyesung had only seen a few towns in his short memory-less life, but he was sure as could be that this town was the biggest he’s ever been to.

“This town is next to a major trading road,” Eric explained when Hyesung voiced his thoughts, “We would’ve eventually got here if we kept going with the merchants, but since we’re short on time I decided that we need to take the shortcut through the forest.”

Hyesung nodded in understanding as he diligently followed Eric through the bustling crowds. Hyesung eyed the assortment of people with a sort of childlike glee, one which Eric was the first to make fun of him for.

“If we have time later I’ll take you around town,” said Eric after he ruffled Hyesung’s hair fondly, “I’m not too familiar with the place since I never really lived here, but hopefully Minwoo won’t mind playing tour guide for a day.”

Eric, then, led him to a run-down tavern just at the edge of town. It was a shady-looking place, where villains of all sorts undoubtedly hung around. Hyesung felt the blatant stares on his person as he approached the seedy place, and couldn’t help but hold on to Eric as they neared the entrance.

“And you’re positive this Minwoo is here.”

“For the third time, yes. This is his base of operations. I know it doesn’t look welcoming but please just bear with it.”

So Hyesung did, with the hood of his cloak pulled down low enough to cover his face and sticking to Eric like glue. Thankfully, his torture was short as Eric walked them to one of the seedy backrooms of the tavern, after exchanging a few words (and coins) with the tavern mistress.

Eric knocked on the door three times before calling out, “Minwoo, it’s me. Open the door, you .”

The door opened and man, a bit on the shorter side as far as Hyesung could tell, appeared wearing a tight smile and a glare that could pierce through steel. He spoke, “I taught you the secret password for a reason, Eric.”

Eric shrugged. “I forgot what it was. But that’s not the point, I found someone who might be able to lead us to His whereabouts.”

It was then that Minwoo noticed Hyesung, pasted to Eric’s side as he was trying to make himself look as small as possible. Minwoo’s eyes glimmered with undeniable curiosity and interest. He opened the door wide to gesture his two visitors inside.

“Come in, then.”

The inside of the room was unexpectedly clean compared to the outside. It was definitely lived-in, but the state of the room itself was much better than the state of the run-down tavern surrounding it. Minwoo gestured for them to sit down on the chairs on one corner as he himself sat on the wooden bed.

“So, what’s your name?”

Hyesung was quick to answer, exceedingly nervous in an unfamiliar place and situation, and told Minwoo as much as he knew about himself as possible—including his mission to slay The Accursed One. He stuttered on his words a bit, but Minwoo seemed to pay it no mind as he gave Hyesung a friendly smile.

“You don’t fear the Curse, huh?” Minwoo chuckled, “Amnesiac or not, I’m pretty sure Eric already told you about the Curse. But I guess it’s fine, we need more gutsy people like you. So, uh, Eric, how is this guy going to help us find the dastard?”

Eric nodded towards Hyesung, “Go ahead, Hyesung. Sing.”

Hyesung nodded, taking a deep breath as he opened his mouth and began to sing his song. Hyesung saw as Minwoo’s eyes shifted from surprise to recognition, and finally to understanding. As Hyesung finished his song, Minwoo was standing up, applauding him with a disbelieving smile on his face.

“I can’t believe it, but Eric I think you’ve found something amazing.”

-

“Hyesung.”

The voice that called out to him in his dreams, Hyesung was beginning to recognize that voice. A hand, soft as it was, laid upon his chest, right above where his heart would be. The smell of summer invaded his senses, of grassy hills and blooming flowers and the heat of the sun. He felt his jaw move, but nothing came out.

“Don’t worry, Hyesung, you’ll sing again soon.”

The hand on his chest moved to card through his hair, sweeping his bangs away with soft fingers. Hyesung sighed. His eyes move but they did not see. He could only hear, could only feel as he felt chapped lips against his forehead. A whisper of words upon his skin.

“You’ll sing again.”

-

Minwoo joined them in their travels. Hyesung was at first out of sorts from the, surprisingly, incredibly affectionate man who had no qualms when it came to physical contact. Eric was not as affectionate, even if Hyesung knew him for far longer than he knew Minwoo, and it threw him off kilter when the shorter man started being affectionate with him right out of nowhere.

But Minwoo had a way with people, which Hyesung was well-acquainted with after having Minwoo’s silver tongue and knack with people save him from a few thugs while they were in town, and Hyesung couldn’t hate someone that was so utterly charming and friendly.

So Minwoo became another name to add in Hyesung’s short list of comrades. And yet…though he felt deep in his heart that he could trust Minwoo—confide in him even—he didn’t know why he was reluctant to have Minwoo see his prowess and skills. It never did seem like Eric had ever mentioned that Hyesung was just more than a little bit of a superhuman (an act of trust, Hyesung liked to believe) so Hyesung could keep his secrets for another day.

Though he couldn’t help but think that his secrets wouldn’t be secrets for long when it came to Minwoo. Eric had told him, once, that though Minwoo was working as an informant when they approached him, he had worked as a spy once—a long time ago. And the only reason Eric had known was because Minwoo had drunkenly admitted to it when they were drinking alone.

“If you have secrets,” and Hyesung took that as a direct hint, “then it’s not going to be safe with Minwoo around. He’s just that good.”

Of course, with a warning like that in his mind Hyesung had been careful and wary when it came to talking to Minwoo, which had strained their relationship somewhat. It never ceased to make Hyesung feel guilty whenever Minwoo deliberately went out of his way to talk to him or to help him with chores around camp.

“Hyesung, you’re on dinner duty today, right?” Minwoo said, approaching him with a friendly smile on his face, “Do you want some help? I’m pretty good at chopping up stuff, you know.”

Hyesung knew of Minwoo’s prowess with knives and daggers, having seen first-hand what he could do against a bear nearly twice his size with only a set of daggers on his person. Though Hyesung was steadily and rapidly growing in skill, after seeing the fight he had been skeptical about his chances in defeating Minwoo in a fair fight. He couldn’t help the awe and respect that he felt for the man. Still, he had declined, reasoning that it wouldn’t be fair on Minwoo since it was his turn to make dinner the day previous.

“Oh pfft, it’s completely fine! I feel like making dinner again anyways.”

Minwoo may have been adamant, but Hyesung was—as he quickly found early on—incredibly stubborn. It was a boon at times, but a bane at others. Eric had, more than once, complained about his mulish tendencies. Hyesung was, for once, thankful that he was as hardheaded as he was when Minwoo finally relented.

Another instance came when Hyesung was cleaning himself by a nearby stream, having told Eric so the other man won’t stumble upon him accidentally, again, that Minwoo appeared out the thickets and promptly stripped himself .

“What are you doing?!” Hyesung demanded hysterically, stuck between horror and anger, trying to cover up as much of himself as possible.

Minwoo blinked. “Eric told me you were bathing here, so I decided to join you.”

“Why?!”

“Well,” Minwoo shrugged, “Why else would Eric have told me otherwise? He knows I like bathing with other people. And besides, I want to get to know you.”

“To warn you not to come here, maybe?”

“If he wanted to warn me so much, he wouldn’t have told me in the first place.”

Hyesung was absolutely seething—reminding himself to kill Eric after he was done—so blinded in his rage that he didn’t notice Minwoo staring at him. When he did, Hyesung hastily tried to put his cloak on, but it was too late. Minwoo had seen it.

“Is that a mark on your stomach?”

Hyesung’s heart dropped. He hadn’t wanted anyone to see it after stumbling across it. He didn’t know why, but that mark was personal, private. Something he wanted to keep to himself forever if he could. Baring it to the world felt like baring the deepest parts of his soul. He was lucky that Eric hadn’t see it, but he had not remained so fortunate with Minwoo.

“Hey,” Minwoo approached him, concerned, “Hey, I’m sorry, are you okay?”

Hyesung hadn’t realized he was practically shivering in distraught, drawing Minwoo’s concern. He swatted Minwoo’s hand away, bringing the cloak closer around him. “Fine, I’m fine. I’m sorry.”

“Hey, what are you apologizing for? It’s my fault for being insensitive.”

“You didn’t know,” Hyesung murmured, finally feeling calmer with the cloak covering most of his body, “I can’t fault you for that.”

Minwoo did not look satisfied with that answer, but he accepted it. He seemed to realize that Hyesung currently wanted him out of his sight. “All right. I’ll leave you to put on your clothes. But then we’ll talk, okay?”

Hyesung didn’t particularly want to ‘talk’ but he knew it was an unavoidable fate. So he nodded and said, “Okay.”

Minwoo left him alone then, not forgetting to take his own clothes, leaving Hyesung alone to his thoughts. Hyesung lifted a hand to rest it upon the mark on his stomach. It was an odd mark, looking more like letters than anything else. He traced each curve and angle with a single finger, following the movement of black lines across his otherwise pale skin.

Remember.

Remember what? Hyesung wanted to ask, but he knew it was to no avail. He left one last lingering touch on his skin before picking up his clothes and putting them on. He knew it would be rude to leave Minwoo waiting.

And sure enough, Minwoo was waiting—not too far from where Hyesung was bathing, but far enough that he knew Eric wouldn’t chance seeing them have a serious talk. Hyesung felt his neck grow cold with the anxiety eating away at his insides. But Minwoo was as accomodating as ever, and only smiled at him but made no attempt to go near him.

“So, do you want to tell me what happened or…?”

Hyesung may not have known Minwoo very well—considering the little time they’ve spent together—but from the way Minwoo looked at him, somehow he knew Minwoo wouldn’t fault him if he didn’t want to talk about the mark. But Hyesung knew it would be unfair to Minwoo (who had been so very kind it’s almost frightening) if he didn’t at least tell the man his reasons for being so sensitive.

“I just panicked, I’m sorry,” Hyesung said apologetically, “I don’t remember what it means—I don’t even know if it’s just nothing. But…

“It feels very personal to me. I didn’t want anyone else to see it.” Hyesung finished with a murmur.

Minwoo was quick to apologize once again, looking as remorseful as he sounded. Hyesung found that he really couldn’t dislike Minwoo, not when there was such a man who was b with sincerity to his very being.

“Do you want me to keep it a secret too?”

Hyesung had been surprised at the offer. A part of him, a more wary part of him, was expecting Minwoo to reference it for future blackmail material considering his profession. But no, Hyesung knew he was being truthful and kind. Hyesung bit his lip.

“If it’s not too much trouble.”

“Oh goodness, it’s no problem at all!” Minwoo said, finally smiling, “I may have a shady past, but I know where my loyalties lie. And I’ll do anything for my friends.”

Hyesung blinked. “Friends?”

“Yeah, of course! You’re my friend,” Minwoo’s face soon deflated, “Unless it’s still too early for you, which I totally respect.”

“No, no,” Hyesung shook his head quickly, “We’re friends. I just…”

He just never had anyone verbally acknowledge that they’re friends with him. Not even Eric, who he had spent months with had ever mentioned that they were friends. Hyesung didn’t need to be told that they were friends but…it was nice. It felt nice to know and have proof that the friendship was mutual and not one-sided on Hyesung’s part.

Minwoo only gave him a smile. “Well, what do you say we go bother Eric for food? I’m pretty sure he’s cooking his stew right now and let me tell you: I’m hungry for some deer.”

Hyesung was quick to nod, following Minwoo deeper into the woods. He lifted a hand to rest on his chest. He was glad he wasn’t alone.
 

-
 

“Are you mine, Hyesung?”

Hyesung felt himself nod, felt gentle hands run through his hair and across his scalp. His head nestled carefully on someone’s lap. The gentle breeze brought in the smell of flowers from the outside, permeating through the thick walls. Hyesung sighed and closed his eyes.

“Then, will you always be mine? Forever and always?”

Hyesung nodded once more. There was a gentle tinkling of windchimes somewhere. The sound of a crackling hearth. He heard the voice laugh—such a soft, whimsical sound that made his heart simultaneously clench and soar.

He felt a sudden sting then, on his abdomen. It was gone as quickly as it came, but it was enough to draw Hyesung’s eyes open in surprise. He opened his eyes, but did not see the hand he knew he was feeling on his stomach.

“I’m sorry, that was just a little something to show that you’re mine.

“Whenever you look at it,” the voice said, “Please, remember me. Please.”
 

-
 

Hyesung had been skinning their dinner for the day, a rabbit that got caught in one of Eric’s traps, when he heard a strange chanting. It was in a language familiar to him, but couldn’t understand. The mystic chanting grew louder and louder as Hyesung dropped the rabbit’s carcass and looked around in increasing panic.

As the mysterious chant seemed to only grow louder in volume, Hyesung felt his head fill with suggestions—suggestions for him to go out of the clearing and deeper to where the voice called out to him. He knew he should fight back, find Minwoo or Eric and defeat the intruder, but his feet were practically glued to the ground on where he stood. He was at the mercy of the chanter and Hyesung went cold at the thought.

“Hyesung!”

Minwoo appeared, looking like a bat out of hell, by the tall shrubbery surrounding Hyesung, panting and out of breath. He wasted no time grabbing Hyesung by his elbow—the taller man finally snapping out of his spell-induced reverie—and pulling him out of the area.

“Wait, Minwoo,” Hyesung urgently asked, “What’s going on?”

“It’s a sorcerer, they’re trying to fish us out of the woods.”

Hyesung nearly stilled in his tracks. “A sorcerer? It can’t be The Accursed One, is it?”

“No, it’s not. But whoever it is, they’re trying to pick a fight.”

The crackling energy Hyesung felt previously began to shift, a sudden heaviness enveloping him and dulling his senses. He felt light-headed and heavy-footed all at once. He was losing his consciousness. Hyesung could see that whatever it was that was affecting him, Minwoo had it far worse. Whoever it was, they were not holding back.

“Ah, damn it,” Minwoo said through gritted teeth, “I can’t keep going on if it’s like this.”

But then, the heaviness that once cocooned them like a suffocating blanket lifted and Hyesung could feel, hear, and see normally once more. Before they could ponder on what had happened, Eric’s booming voice was calling out for them from deeper into the forest.

“Come here and look at what I caught!”

Hyesung and Minwoo looked at each other, both unsure whether to be annoyed and exasperated or curious, so they both moved quickly to where they heard Eric. What they saw as they arrived was not a sight that they would’ve expected.

“I wonder if it’d make a good roast.”

They could see then that Eric looked horribly amused, not bothering to hide his smile as he poked his catch with a stick. The ‘catch’ in question was actually a man dressed in dark robes, despite the stifling heat of summer, and was caught in one of their more elaborate traps. Eric had taken the liberty to stuff the man’s mouth with cloth and tie his hands to his back. A staff lay forgotten not far from the man and all the evidence finally clicked in Hyesung’s mind: This was the sorcerer that was attacking them.

“Do we still have some spices left? I think they’d go good with it.”

Minwoo shook his head, but there was no denying the smile threatening to bloom on his face. “Okay I think that’s enough Eric, stop poking the poor sap already.”

Eric pouted (how childish he was being) but complied. Minwoo stepped towards their captive, taking out one of his daggers, hidden in the many compartments of his clothing, and held it against the sorcerer’s throat. The sorcerer could only glare feebly at him.

“Now, dear sir, there’s two ways to go about this,” Minwoo said slowly, “One: We take the cloth out and you tell us what you’re doing here without any funny business. Or two: we kill you right here, right now. Which one will it be? Will you promise not to cast any spells if we take the cloth out?”

The sorcerer seemed conflicted for a moment, but he eventually nodded in reply to Minwoo’s question, his reluctance visible on the contours of his facial expression. Minwoo took the cloth out none too gently, causing the sorcerer to cough.

“Now talk,” Minwoo said, the dagger digging into the sorcerer’s skin, “Why did you attack us?”

The sorcerer looked at all of them once, sighing, “You’re hunting for sorcerers, aren’t you?”

Minwoo looked almost impressed. “How’d you know?”

“I’ve heard talk of three men fitting your descriptions who are out to exterminate sorcerers. Are you not them?”

Minwoo bit out a curse, turning to Eric, “Someone ratted us out to the sorcerers. I told you to be more careful.”

“Me? What did I do?” Eric exclaimed.

“Well, there’s no one else who would be that careless! I wouldn’t make such a rookie mistake and Hyesung here doesn’t talk to anyone but us.”

“Are you sure it’s not your fault? Your voice is just as loud as mine—”

“Hey.”

Both Minwoo and Eric looked towards Hyesung, who had chosen the moment to speak up before the bickering gets worse. Hyesung cocked his head towards their captive, “Should we ask him about…?”

The both of them seemed to catch on to what Hyesung was implying. Minwoo turned back towards their captive. “Okay, sorcerer. We’ll let you go if you answer a few questions from us.”

The sorcerer’s eyes widened. “You’re not going to kill me?”

“No,” Eric scoffed, “We don’t have time for small fry.”

The sorcerer was taken aback by the insult, but didn’t speak up against Eric. He nodded to Minwoo, “What do you want to know?”

Hyesung stepped up then, looking the sorcerer right in the eye as he asked, “What can you tell us about The Accursed One?”

“Are you mad, child?” the sorcerer hissed, “We do not speak of him lest the Curse sets upon us!”

MInwoo dug his dagger into the skin of the sorcerer’s neck, drawing a thin stream of blood. Hyesung’s eyes followed a droplet of blood as it trailed down the sorcerer’s neck. “He asked you a question. Please give him an answer.”

The sorcerer hesitated, but said, “Alright, I’ll tell you everything I know about Him.”

“You better,” Minwoo retracted his dagger slightly, “Now tell us what you know.”

-

Hyesung felt the cut on his arm, could feel the torn skin, the tender flesh, but saw no blood. He could see the pink flesh underneath though, yet no blood flowed from the broken veins. Someone took his injured hand, and a white bandage concealed the bloodless wound from Hyesung’s eyes.

“The blood hasn’t flowed properly…Then could the heart…?”

It was the voice again, but it sounded distant, unfocused. Hyesung’s uninjured hand reached out to the white mist enveloping his sight and felt it touch skin. The hands working on his injured arm stilled.

“…Hyesung?”

Hyesung opened his mouth.

“…”

He tried calling out to the voice to no avail. The sound that flowed from his mouth was broken and hoarse. He couldn’t hear what he said, couldn’t feel his mouth move around a name he wanted to call out.

“Oh Hyesung…Please be patient, okay?”

He felt a hand touch his own, oddly warm to the touch, as a kiss was placed upon the back of his hand.

“You’ll be able to sing again, I promise.”

-

The sorcerer told them what he knew about The Accursed One. Apparently he hadn’t been active for decades but had recently been sighted numerous times by sorcerers and civilians alike. When asked by Hyesung how anyone would know what he looked like, the sorcerer had looked him in the eye and told him, “You’d know when you see him.”

“Have you ever seen him?”

“Thankfully I haven’t had the displeasure of laying my eyes on him,” the sorcerer said dryly, “But I know someone who had, and he told me that no man alive would not go slightly insane at the sight.”

The sorcerer also went on to say that no one knew where The Accursed One resided. Information varied between every record and ever witness. Some say he was a nomadic force, never staying in one place. Some say he had a home somewhere, and where that home was depended on who was telling the story.

“He has a home,” Hyesung said, closing his eyes, “It’s surrounded by grassy plains that’s filled with flowers. In the summer everything blooms and…it’s quite a sight.”

All three turned towards him, expressions ranging from baffled to curious. It was the sorcerer who broke the silence that blanketed them all. His eyes bore into Hyesung’s, as if trying to see into his very soul, “Who are you?”

Hyesung looked away, “I don’t know.”

The sorcerer was silent then, thoughtful, but Minwoo was quick to change the subject, “Is that all you know?”

“No, it’s not.”

“Then hurry up and tell us the rest, we don’t have all day.”

“I can do you one better,” the sorcerer said, eyes gleaming, “I can join you in your quest.”

Eric was the one to laugh first, but Hyesung didn’t understand why he was laughing. Wouldn’t having someone who knew magic be good for their quest? Especially someone who knew about The Accursed One as well as he did? Minwoo, however, seemed to agree with Eric’s sentiment and looked at the sorcerer with scornful amusement.

“Join us?” Minwoo smirked condescendingly, “What makes you think we’ll agree to something like that?”

“Why not? Your mysterious friend over there seem to want me in your group.”

Eyes turned to Hyesung, and he shrugged, nervous, “I just think it’d be a good idea.”

“Hyesung,” Eric sighed, “He’s a sorcerer. He can kill us in our sleep with a single spell if he wants to. Besides, what if he’s one of His spies?”

“Who in the world is crazy enough to become one of His followers?”

Eric ignored the sorcerer’s outburst. “I know you don’t remember anything, but there’s a limit to naïveté, you know.”

“But Eric—”

“I agree with Eric, Hyesung. Sorcerer or not, we can’t trust this man.”

“But—”

“What if,” the sorcerer spoke once more, breaking the three’s argument, “I do something to gain your trust? Would you accept me into your group then?”

Minwoo looked back towards the sorcerer in suspicion. “Why do you want to join us so badly?”

The sorcerer shrugged, “I have my reasons, but if you want to take Him down, having a sorcerer in your arsenal would be wise. I just want to be that sorcerer.”

“You do realize you could very well die if you join us,” Eric stated blankly, “Regardless if you’re a sorcerer, no one is safe from His wrath.”

The sorcerer flashed them all a rueful smile. “I’ve lived for too long anyway.”

The things unsaid hung heavy in the air. Hyesung wondered what he meant—what the man had seen, experienced, to be able to smile like that—but he didn’t have the time to contemplate when the sorcerer quickly changed the subject, “So, am I in or not?”

“…Depends,” Minwoo finally said, “What can you do to make us trust you?”

“I can take you to the Forbidden Archives.”

“The Archives?!”

Hyesung was startled when both Minwoo and Eric simultaneously exclaimed. What had gotten them so excited? What exactly were the Archives?

“The Archives?”

“It’s a place in the Sorcerer’s Capital,” the sorcerer explained, “where all the forbidden tomes and history texts are stored. I have clearance to go there whenever I please and bring trustworthy companions with me inside.”

“You’re lying, tell me you’re lying,” Minwoo muttered.

“Not at all,” the sorcerer said, smirking, “You can take a look at my staff. The golden encryption at the edge is the key to the place.”

This time it was Minwoo’s turn to ask, face stricken with awe, “Who are you?”

The sorcerer smiled. “The short answer is Dongwan. The long answer is…well, wouldn’t you like to know?”

 


A/N:

I meant for this to be a one-shot but good lord did it go out of hand. But I had always wanted to write a fantasy RPG-esque story so...I guess it's not all that bad. I'm still not completely satisfied with the last part, but goddamn do I love that cliffhanger. I hope you enjoyed this first part! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°