White Bench

White Bench

It was an average day at your school, the boring classes, the teasing, and the noisy classrooms. Not to mention the dirty floors and crowded hallways. Everything about your school turned you off, except the white bench in the middle of the court-yard. No one ever went there so it was the quietest part of the whole school. The bench was completely white despite the mud directly underneath it. The tree is still green with leaves, and the sky is still dotted white with clouds. It all seemed normal until you spotted a boy sitting on the bench. It was unusual because everyone knew it was your spot, they wouldn’t dare sit there. It wasn’t that you were mean or anything, it was because you were classified as the weird one of the school.

As you got closer, you recognized him as the foreign exchange student. His name was Kihyun and he had a rather cold personality. You didn’t mind him sitting there; you just didn’t want to interfere with his image.

“I wouldn’t sit there if I was you, sitting by me will surely damage any reputation you have here.” You explained while sitting down sighing. He only looked at you then back down.  He continued working on whatever he had in his hands. You put your ear buds on, closing your eyes, taking in the soothing voices. Half way through the period, you felt a light tap on your shoulder. You opened your eyes and looked around but didn’t see anyone. You looked down and noticed a slip of paper on the bench. Assuming it was Kihyun’s you picked it up. You opened it and examined it.

“I don’t do this, it isn’t me, but I really like you. I know I’ve only been here for a week, and I’ve probably been a jerk, but I want to get to know you. Meet me at the cafe after school today?  – Kihyun”

You couldn’t believe someone actually liked you enough to write to you. The rest of the day seemed to fly past. You were so excited that you couldn’t contain your smile. Once you got to your locker, you felt your heart race. You don’t know why it did but it did. You packed your books away, taking the ones you needed. You hurried to the café, not wanting to make him wait.

As soon as you opened the door, the smell of coffee, bubble tea and many other things hit you. You waved at Sierra and Sehun, the couple that worked there, and then looked around for Kihyun. You found him, sitting at a small table near the window at the back. He stared out the window until he heard the sound of chair scrape against the ground. He snapped his around to you and smiled. You smiled back, sitting down. You guys instantly sparked a conversation, later talking about everything yet nothing. Everything from your favorite things and nothing from what you thought about the weather. You guys found out you both shared the same interests and dislikes. You sat around talking, laughing, and eating until the café closed.

The next day, you walked into school hand in hand.