One fine day

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

One fine day

 

            Some people claim the world is a small place, and they have not even been close to a trip around it. Oh right, there’s that saying when a coincidence happens resulting from people knowing each other or meeting each other in unexpected circumstances. That’s must be it even though Amber couldn’t wrap her mind around it. Standing there beside her friend with open so wide her lips had almost cracked at the edges (if not for her chap stick), she was lost for words. The only other thing she could do, beside looking like millions of questions were running through her head (and they probably were), was clutching her little dog to her chest like it was the only real thing in her surroundings.

            Sensing her disbelief in his claims, Henry wanted to prove that he truly knows the girl. He made two steps to cross the street, but Amber, coming back from her flabbergasted state, pulled him back by his shoulders with great force.

             “Wait, wait, wait a minute.... YOU know Sarang?” Amber asked shaking her head to clear her mind.

            “Yes.” Henry deadpanned.

            “But, but... When? Why? Where? How long?” She started to stutter like a broken record not knowing what to ask first. His earlier describe of the girl seems like he knows her for real, but maybe he’s talking about someone else.

            “I met her and her brother a long time ago in Canada.” Henry said calmly once again trying to cross the street but his confused friend stopped him.

            “So you know how she looks, right? You know her story?”

            “Yes, I know how she looks.” He said with smile thinking about little cute girl then his smile changed and his expression became serious. “And no, I do not know her story, as you say. Well... Not all of it. When she’s ready she will share, I’m sure.”

            After his words, Amber fell into silence. Therefore, Henry took her hand and nudged her to cross the street. “You could have told me you know someone who looks just like her.” She mumbled.

            “I could but it’s not mine to tell. Let’s go or she will leave. She doesn’t stay long at one place if she can do something about it.” Somehow, Henry felt as if he was dragging a very stubborn child with him.

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

            Today, Thursday 13 June was a fine day. At least it was for Sarang. All because of the few good news she received. Like the one that her brother is coming tomorrow morning, the one where school year is coming to an end, the one where she already have all straight A’s (no surprise there) and finally, Ai standing up to the bullies, defending herself verbally which made Sarang very proud. Sam was his usual annoying self, following her around asking bunch of meaningless question like if the cops arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent, or what color does Smurf turns if you choke it, etc. Of course there were questions like when she will make a song about him (Let me think.... NEVER.), and the one that make her think for a moment. All she could answer on that one was that he would have to come and see himself.

            Strolling through the city on her skateboard made Sarang feel refreshed. Now, she found herself standing in front of this large board as she did every month for the last three years. After no more than fifteen minutes of reading and standing in the same spot, she started feeling restless. Just as she wanted to go for another quick skate, someone asked her a question.

            “Have you decided yet?” The voice was melodious to her ears and somewhat familiar. Before she faced the person, she started answering.

            “No, I... Penguin?” She asked with uncertainty. When realization hit her, she jumped to hug the person screaming the pet name for the man. “Penguin!”

            “Miss me that much, hm?” He asked excitedly hugging the girl back. Unwrapping her hands from around his middle and taking a step back, Sarang replied seriously.

            “No!

            “What? What is with you girls jumping and hugging me like this but saying you don’t miss me?” He said annoyed by the repeated scene from the earlier.

            “Us girls?” Sarang wanted to ask but knowing him, he would start telling the story from the beginning. “Nevermind. What are you doing here?”

            “Jinja? The same question? Aish... I heard with your oppa. He wanted me to check up on you.”

            “He worries too much.” she said with a smile. “Penguin, what should I do? Do I give this cheque to the homeless bagger over there” she pointed at the dirty middle-aged bagger then turned to the coffee shop across the street, “or the teenage waitress struggling with tree jobs in order to support her sick mother and a baby brother? What do you think?”

            “Do as you think you should. I’ll give you a hint though. That bagger over there is nothing but a drunk.” She squinted her eyes in bagger’s direction, and truly, beside him lain almost empty bottle of some cheep alcohol.

            “Girl this time. I guess an experiment is in order next month. Everyone deserves a chance.”

            “Come, someone wants to meet you.” He took her hand, but she drew it away.

            “You know I can’t meet random people. I should just go home.” She said, bending to take her skateboard. A voice stopped her in her tracks.

            “You know, I’m not just some random people, Smiley face.” Sarang slowly turned her head and looked into the eyes of the owner of the voice.

            Smiling, Henry finally introduced the two of them squeezing Sarang’s shoulder slightly with his hand. “Sarang, I believe you know Amber.”

            “Amber?” she whispered, unable to believe her own eyes. Amber opened to say hello but the big mouth named Henry opened again.

            “Just Amber? You should say Amber unnie.” He said, berating Sarang a little showing her by the shoulder.

            “Yah Penguin, don’t push me around.” She steadied herself then smiled to Amber. “Hello Amber unnie.” Sarang said, emphasizing the unnie part.

            “Hello Sarang. Finally, we are meeting again.” Why the hell was I nervous before? This is piece of cake.

            “Yes...” Sarang tried to say something more but a little bark coming from Amber’s hands distracted her. “Oh, look at that. Your puppy is so cute. What it’s name?”

            “JackJack.” She answered proudly watching Sarang petting her dog.

            “Sarang, be careful. To you maybe it looks like a dog but it’s actually a rat.”

            “Henry” Amber wanted to scold him but remembered that they are in public so she weakly added oppa. “Shut up. Don’t mind him Sarang.”

            “Amber unnie, Penguin, you wanna come to my place? I could cook us something delicious. ” Without thinking twice, Amber and Henry responded affirmative in unison. Henry led them to his car telling them to jump in. Sarang, being a bit cheeky, tried to sit in passenger’s seat.

            “No Sarang. At the back seat.” Henry said while Sarang gave him her squinting stare. “Don’t give me the eyes, you’re still a minor.”

            She jumped in the car at the backseat. “Whatever” she said like every other rebellious teenager only she said it in a joking manner.       

            All three of them were so busy with their playful bickering, that they haven’t noticed a girl taking their pictures with her cell phone, nor a man in black taking away the cell phone from the girl and leaving in a black car with tinted windows.

 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

    After a few minutes of ride, Henry pulled into the brick driveway that stopped at a tall, white, wrought-iron gate. Lowering his window he let Sarang speak into an intercom, and moments later, the gate swung open. They followed the brick driveway as it curved, until they found themselves outside a two-story mansion. It was detached with a courtyard out front.  The beauty, the luxury yet simplicity amazed Amber.

            “She herself takes care of the yard.” Henry smiled whisp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter