Memories in a Photograph

Shots of Memories


A buzzing from her phone made Chaerin stir out of her sleep. It's 7am and she decided to wake up early in order to clean up her apartment since she's been away from her lovely apartment in Itaewon to stay in her cozy abode in Beverly Hills to work.

 

Chaerin turned off her phone's alarm as she groggily got up from bed, blinking the drowse out of her eyes and did some stretching. She observed her room and saw how messy it got since the last time she slept in here. It's a bit dusty and some of her stuff looked like they were randomly thrown on the floor. She just took notice of this now because she's been spending a few nights in the YG building to record some more tracks with Teddy then she's been staying over at Dara's for three consecutive days to make up for lost time.

 

"This place is a mess. I should start immediately."

 

While she was dusting off the shelves of her room, she saw something stuck at the bottom of her shelf. An old polaroid faced down. Chaerin's eyebrows furrowed as she slightly pushed the shelf away from the wall, leaned down and picked up the lone photograph.

 

"How did you get in there?" She muttered as she flipped the photo over and found it out to be a picture of Dara smiling, that smile that makes her heart sing. She remembered taking this beautiful picture back in New York two years ago, when they wandered around and enjoyed each other's company touring the Big Apple, having the time of their lives outside their usual world as public icons. As if it's contagious, Chaerin can't help but smile back at the image of her beloved.

 

A pile of white square pieces lying on the floor behind the shelf caught her attention. She crawled towards the pile and saw more polaroids.They must have fallen from the shelf. I wonder how long have they been lying here.. Chaerin thought as she picked them one by one. It was pictures of herself, her friends, some landscape views, and her members which reminded her of the good old days, memories that she built in this place together with the people shown in the photos.

 

"Ah, so it's really only photos and memories that remain."

 

 

It was a bright and sunny September morning in Los Angeles..

Wait, why does it seem much brighter right now? It looks like something is flashing in front of me?, Chaerin subconsciously told herself. She opened one eye and was greeted by another flash from a camera and a particular petite girl holding the camera.

 

"Unnie.. Hmm.. What are you doing?", she groaned as she covered her eyes with her arm from more flashes. A second later, she felt her unnie jump on her which made her groan more.
 

 

"Good morning, Chaerin-ah!", Dara greeted cheerfully as she adjusted her position on top of Chaerin and kissed the latter's cheek and stayed there for a while. Chaerin smiled at her girlfriend's action, she misses this kind of mornings with her which has become a rarity since she left for the states.
 

 

"Morning.", Chaerin greeted back as she embraced the woman on top of her.
 

"Seriously though, what are you doing?", she added.
 

Dara snuggled closer to her, getting more comfortable just lying in bed with her favorite girl. "You know, just making more memories with my beautiful Baby Rin. It's one of the reasons why I came all the way here.."
 

They stared at each other for a second before Chaerin let out a small chuckle. "We could make more memories without blinding me, you know.", she said as she caught Dara's lips into a soft kiss. Chaerin's heart is beating loud. It's still not used to the flutter she gets whenever she tastes the sweet lips of Dara. I really love this woman, she thought.
 

 

"Memories remain only in photos."
 

 

Dara whispered those words against her lips as soon as they parted. Chaerin looked at Dara's eyes deeply as she let that thought sink in. Her mind reeled as flashbacks of great moments she has had with the woman in front of her struck her. All of those pictures they have captured of each other and with each other that served as building blocks to a stronger bond they hold onto in their relationship. Those memories that made her who she is right now. Those memories which led her here, to be right by her loved one's side.
 

 

As her mind was brought back to the present time, Chaerin carried them both to sit up on her now messy bed. She absentmindedly stared at Dara like she was looking at her for the first time, which Dara didn't seem to mind since she returned the stare back at the younger girl.
 

 

"Is this why you keep taking pictures of me, Ssantographer?", Chaerin broke the ice.
 

Instead of answering, Dara just giggled as she grabbed her camera again and snapped another picture of Chaerin who was caught off guard.

"Yah! Come here, you naughty photographer!", Chaerin yelled as she got up and chased her girlfriend who is already running away from her so cutely.

 

 

Chaerin gathered all the polaroids she picked up on the floor and scattered them neatly on her bed as she looks at them with wonder. Every image is a piece of memory of her. Suddenly, she saw her phone vibrating on the side table. She stood to pick up the call, curious who would it might be.

 

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Ohayo, Chaerin-chan!", the other line cheered which instantly put a smile on Chaerin's face.

"Oh, Dara-neesan! Ogenki desu ka?", Chaerin playfully replied.

"I'm good. What have you been up to?"

"Nothing much, just cleaned up my room. It was a mess in here."

"Haha, I bet it was. You haven't been there for ages.", Dara teased.

Chaerin let out a small chuckle as her eyes go back staring at the collage she just made on her bed.

 

"So.. Do you miss me already?", she teased back.

 

Chaerin couldn't help but ask even though she already knew the answer since her girlfriend is not fond of calls, she would rather text her than give a call. She find it funny that they already miss each other despite the night in's that Chaerin had spent with Dara in her apartment. I do miss you already.

 

"So full of yourself, are you? Maybe you miss me instead. Do you want me to come over?", Dara teasingly suggested.

 

This girl really knows me, Chaerin said to herself.

 

"See, you want to come over because you miss me so much. And I would love you to come over.", she said before smiling widely at the idea.

"Hul, this kid really. Okay, I'll just take a shower and I'll go. See you later, baby!"

"I'll be waiting, cutie pie."

 

More memories with her is on the way. Chaerin took a last glance at the bunch of pictures before getting up as she charged her camera then headed to the bathroom.

 

 

As soon as she heard the loud beep of her door, Chaerin emerged from her room to welcome her girlfriend who had just arrived.

"Hey.", Dara said as soon as she saw Chaerin and gave her a peck in the lips.

"Hey you..", Chaerin greeted back as she wrapped her arms around Dara's waist and buried her face on the brunette's neck.

 

Dara was a little surprised at her Baby Rin's sudden display of affection. Her natural sweetness never fails to make her melt instantly. She loves the fact that she is the receiving end of Chaerin's love and affection because she gets to see the baddest female's cute and sweet side like this. Dara considers herself the luckiest to have this girl hugging her as hers.

 

 

The couple went out, Dara driving her range rover and Chaerin buckled up as usual at the passenger seat, to order some take away ramyun which has become a date routine between the two of them. As they were cruising, Chaerin brought her camera with her and took shots of the sunset when they passed by a bridge and captured the city views like a tourist. Dara is a bit curious why Chaerin is being like this since it's usually her who brings a camera with them and Chaerin practically memorized this side of Seoul. Maybe she missed her hometown so much. Oh, Chaerin.., she wondered.

 

"Darong, smile!", Chaerin called as they stopped by a red light, pointing the camera immediately at Dara and snapped away. Dara fortunately looked at her with a ready smile so the picture turned out pretty.

"Ayoo, pretty tokki!", the younger girl said in an aegyo manner.

Dara giggled when she heard that comment from Chaerin as she leaned closer to her to snoop at the picture of her that was just taken. "Let me see, Chaerin!"

 

Chaerin pulled her camera cutely to her chest as to keep the picture away from Dara's sight to prevent her from seeing it. "No, drive. The light's already green!", she pointed out while letting out a small laugh as she saw her girlfriend pouting and drove their way back to her apartment.

 

Chaerin got out of the car first to set up their early dinner at the table while Dara is parking her car properly by the porch. As the latter got in, she saw Chaerin already setting the utensils beside the bowls of noodles.

"Come! Let's eat before your favorite ramyun gets cold." Chaerin called out as Dara made her way to the table and sit across her girlfriend.

"Jal meokkuseubnida!"

The two dug in their bowls and slurped their noodles hungrily. Chaerin glanced at Dara as the latter enjoys her bowl of ramyun. She really loves the way her girlfriend eats especially if it's ramyun since it's her second love next to her, and their group. After taking another spoonful of noodles, Chaerin quietly took the camera from her lap and snapped another photo of Dara who's eating her ramyun delightfully.

"Chaerin-ah! What are you doing?", Dara asked with full of noodles.

Chaerin just giggled at her girlfriend's puffy cheeks as Dara kept munching her food.

"Nothing, you just look cute with your ramyun."

"Me and my ramyun look good together, don't we?"

"Not as good as we do together."

They both laughed at each other's banter as they continue eating their delicious dinner.

 

 

An hour has passed filled with the couple taking pictures of each other, even posing by the couch cuddled together and took another set of photos together. It's been a long time since they last had a picture taking montage together. Dara can't help but smile at Chaerin because this is actually her idea to do it again. She remembered how Chaerin kept complaining before about how much she kept taking her pictures although she posts some of them on Instagram as Dara complains back at her as to why she doesn't credit her. Dara's eyes sparkle like she fell in love all over again with the girl cuddled with her on the couch.

 

 

"Do you really have to leave?", Chaerin asked, holding the brunette's hand with hers as they stand by the door.

"Well, I would be recording my show again tomorrow.", Dara looked at her with sorry written on her face.

"But I would be leaving for Hong Kong in a few days, and I know you'll be busy again starting tomorrow. Would you at least spend the night here, babe?"

 

Dara knows she's too weak whenever Chaerin asked her to stay for the night. It's one of those days again, and those pleading eyes of her girlfriend really hit her soft spot.

"Do you know why I've been taking pictures a lot today?", Chaerin exclaimed.

Dara actually forgot to ask her that. Now that Chaerin tackled the topic, she just looked at her silently, telling her to continue. Chaerin led her hands to Dara's face and her cheekbones.

 

"It's just recently I realized what you said to me before. Memories remain only in photos."

 

Chaerin was lost in those dark orbs of her girlfriend as she continued to say her thoughts.

 

"It has been true ever since I've been away from you, away from Seoul. All that I had from you were photos while I was gone. Everyday.. I look at your picture at night as if you're beside me.. As if I'm holding you, hugging you, kissing you because I miss you so damn much every single day."

 

It was Dara's turn to be lost in Chaerin's words. She knew that her girlfriend has been having a hard time deep inside, but she didn't realize it was this much.

 

"Chaerin.."

 

"Dara, please stay."

 

Dara leaned as soon as Chaerin dropped those words and kissed her with deep longing. She didn't know what made Chaerin's feelings burst out like this so suddenly since they've hung out for three days that Chaerin has been here this month. I guess it has been there but she just tends to hide it while she still can. You're staying strong so I won't worry about you.

 

 

"I'll stay as long as you want me to be."

 

At that moment, Dara thought that it would not hurt staying just for one night with the one she loved the most because she is certain it will be one of those memories that they'll cherish along with the rest of the shots of memories they have captured ever since the first day she met Chaerin.