03:

RUN

Kyungsoo let out a long tired sigh when his back hit the soft mattress of his suit. It was such a delight and a matter of relaxation after all those travelling. He hasn’t even eaten yet due his mission and what he got inside his pocket are still a few Korean Won.

He blankly stared at the ceiling, reviewing what happened a few moments ago. He saw him, the criminal.

Jongin blended in real quick but how long was he staying here? He thought to himself until his eyes close, allowing him to doze off. His thoughts are mixed from Chanyeol’s words and the fugitive’s identity. Usually, he doesn’t have problems with things like this but Kim Jongin wasn’t an easy man. He was like a VIP but only the Most Wanted.

Finally, rest.

But Kyungsoo thought wrong when his phone started singing out he and Chanyeol’s collaboration as a product of boredom and as a ringtone. He sat up on the bed lazily but alert.

“The GPS works, don’t be so creepy and follow him 24/7.” That was Chanyeol’s opening statement that got Kyungsoo rolling his eyes. “I know, what do you take me for?”

Kyungsoo subtly looked around the four corners of his unit to look for possible hidden cameras before he got an answer from Chanyeol.

“Actually, you are not that safe inside your suit since Jongin’s place is filled with lots of information and his associates might be also next room.” Chanyeol began typing his report, “Oh and I really have no idea how you’ll make that fugitive to notice you. Do you have one?”

Kyungsoo almost slapped himself from a mere memory, “To be honest Park Chanyeol? I think I already did.”

“You’re a fast and smooth baby then?” Chanyeol teased. “Damn Soo you---“

“I think he saw me as a fool and wondered if that didn’t blow my cover after all I needed to act like a normal citizen bathing in my imaginary grandmother’s money but still lowkey humble.”

“But they say that first impression lasts right?”

“I still have no idea how to get his attention,” Kyungsoo sighed once more. “I mean, If I continuously bug him, would he trust me?”

“I say he would you instead.” Chanyeol laughed that got Minseok hissing at his vulgar words.

Kyungsoo’s cheeks are slightly painted with a crimson blush from what he heard. So he kicked a pillow out of the bed and gritted his teeth, “Park Chanyeol you blabbering ert, why don’t you Byun Baekhyun inside your house, shut up and don’t bring in words like that.”

“I’m stating the obvious Kyung.” Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows. “Besides, that Kim Jongin guy no matter how much you try to act like a retard will just view you as an admirer.”

“You told me to make that bastard fall…”

“I gave you an option.”

“And now you told me that I’ll be just like one of his es.”

“Uhuh.” Chanyeol urged him to go on.

“Then I’d be his if I get the chance to enter his suit and cuff him up.”

“Oh Gawd, .” Chanyeol whispered earning a ‘what’ from Kyungsoo. “Oh nothing, I’ll be writing everything down though. Why can’t you use the camera lens and tour me around your room?”

Kyungsoo disagreed and lay down on the bed again, “I’ll just send you some pictures of it. What about the money? I’m starving for hours.”

“No squealing Kyung,” Chanyeol reminded. “Remember Plainclothes Law? The agency cannot provide such luxury for---“

“The money will be given to you by one of our newest agents.” Minseok butted in and snatched the phone out of Chanyeol’s hands. “This is her first assignment by the way.”

“So she came all the way from Korea?” Kyungsoo was intrigued by the new agent.

“Yeah, she’s your hoobae though. She’ll be there sooner than you thought.”

“Wait we can’t transact here---“

The call ended before Kyungsoo could protest. He took a sharp inhale of air.

So she’s a newbie? And my hoobae? I’ve got a lot of hoobaes though, I hope it was Wendy or maybe Nayeon? Augh, now for a few hours, what would I do?

Undercover work is the most stressful to be honest. And yes, it is used to gain trust and to learn information. But I admit you have to be an expert because there are 2 risks here. The maintenance of identity and the reintegration back into normal duty. Who says that it's easy!?

Based from my analysis, Kim Jongin already lost his trust to people.

How can he even trust again?

And to make him fall?

I just.....I just don't know where to start. I just don't know. If it was my rule then I would've quickly aimed a gun at him and shoot him for the work to be easy. But that shows injustice. He might be the tainted man but I have no rights to do that.

---

 

After a reviving nap, Kyungsoo opened the sliding door that revealed the balcony. It was afternoon and the sight was really tantalizing. The sky was painted with orange, red, sky blue and yellow and the birds were flocking around the whole city. It was still a lot of hotter than in Korea but being in a tropical country for Kyungsoo made him eager to do his mission well.

He glanced at the other two balconies beside him. He started from the right and found out a few clothes hanging from outside and a few potted plants. He guessed that maybe the one living there might be a college student.

Then he glanced at the left patio and found Jongin’s balcony.

On the patio sat a bougainvillea and on the floor, a small table and Victorian styled chair.

Kyungsoo crossed both of his hands and leaned on the patio, trying to think of his plan. The sliding door was opened and the blue velvet curtain was riding along with the warm afternoon breeze.

Okay Kyungsoo, do your plan. Everything to get his attention.

“Ah! A new house! A new life!” He stated in a loud and boisterous voice. “What a wonderful day but people ! I mean how do I even start when I am alone? HAH.”

Damn Kyungsoo, you really look like a ing retard. The balcony is obviously not soundproof but come to think of it, I am not that interesting!

And with that Kyungsoo began various ways of being loud, annoying and constantly glancing at Jongin’s balcony, wondering if he would show up.

Just once please show up!

Thinking that maybe he was downstairs, he grabbed his backpack and went downstairs. He observed that at the floor he was staying at were only three units. He scanned the whole ground floor, café and the small mall to look for Jongin but to his surprise, it annoyed him to death since what he saw were a bunch of food stalls that got him starving.

He went back to his unit and slumped against the small couch.

You told yourself to not follow him 24/7 right? He reminded himself and rubbed his growling stomach. Hang on; Chanyeol’s informant will be here soon.

Being a bit lazy, he just wondered inside his own unit, judged a few items and unpacked his bag until night had fallen. After being bewildered by the night view of the beautiful sky scrapers and the starry sky, Kyungsoo began talking loudly again at the balcony.

“Augh, it feels so lonely. My neighbors are so quiet. What a frustrating life!”

Pabo!

Kyungsoo got himself a really cheap wine and drank it all up instead. Grasping for some chips and vision fixated at Jongin’s balcony.

Maybe he had gone somewhere. I must track him.

Tired from ridiculous acts, Kyungsoo stood on the patio and spread his arms like satan with wings and chips on his hand and began shouting again, the cold night breeze swaying alongside his clothes and glossy hair. It may look like he’s having fun or committing a suicide but all that Kyungsoo wants is just another sight of Jongin.

Would he ever come out of that unit? Was he a really busy man?

“Should I just jump here and pull a titanic?” He laughed at his own joke even though he’s a lot of feet from the ground. “Okay, so someone save me?”

Then he heard a voice.

No, well it was rather a bark.

He gazed at Jongin’s part of balcony and found a little brown dog that looked a lot of familiar.

Of course.

The dog was wagging its tail and barking continuously while looking at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo stepped down the patio and teased the small dog with a piece of chocolate chip.

“You want this boy? Huh? Huh?” Kyungsoo played with the dog, forgetting the embarrassment that he had suffered. It was quite disappointing that it wasn’t jongin he’s talking to right now but he doesn’t care.

Call your daddy! Call your daddy and let me fight him! Kyungsoo inwardly stated.

The dog sniffed and barked; Eyes quite smiling from a sight of a new neighbor, ready to be his friend and to feed him.

“They can’t locate me here Tao.” Kim Kai whispered and palmed his face, “Make sure that we are getting allies. I wouldn’t want that transaction to be sabotaged.”

“Kai, you need to be careful there.” Tao reminded. “Those ing agents are doing everything they can to ruin the triad. Kris is doing his best to make them stay out of it. Who knows that because of his anger, he might plant a bomb against Junmyeon’s agency.”

Jongin his lips. “I know, I know. Jongdae told me about Jackson Wang. He said he’ll feed me with information and I coul---“ Jongin stopped talking when he was bothered by his dog, Monggu’s barking.

“What’s that noise?” Tao even asked.

“Nothing, I’ll just sort things out. Tell Jongdae that I’ll do that transaction tomorrow.” Kai said before hanging up. He fiddled with his polo’s buttons while listening to Monggu’s Barks.

It’s been long since he had heard Monggu’s continuous barks at the balcony. He once thought that maybe, monggu was feeling all lonely whenever he was gone but now? It seemed like he made a friend. Perhaps his new neighbor?

“Damn it.” He silently cursed. He cannot have a new neighbor. No one must close a gap. Seeing that he had that good boy dress up, he needed to terrorize this new person.

Jongin walked towards the balcony and found out a horrid scene unfolding in front of him.

“! Don’t eat them!” Jongin cussed and snatched the chocolate chip from Monggu. The dog whined in frustration and the whole scene got Kyungsoo’s mouth almost left hanging wide.

Oh my God, it happened. He really appeared.

Jongin gazed furiously at Kyungsoo, “Don’t you know that chocolate is bad for dogs!?” The criminal hissed at him. “ this!”

Seeing the need of a response, Kyungsoo scratched his nape to draw off another innocent look.

Prove to him and to the agency that you’re worth it Kyungsoo. Prove your abilities, pull it off well.  

“R-Really?” Kyungsoo said and bit his lower lip. “H-He looked like he’s enjoying it though!” He protested. “A-And he looked so thin, he probably needs some milk. Are you feeding him well?”

Jongin couldn’t believe what he was hearing right now. He knew that he also has his own concerned neighbor disguise to pull off but this guy was seriously irritating him. And what the hell? He even questioned the way he’s feeding his own son?

Jongin treated his dog Monggu like his own son. He was the only being to make him sane enough and to deal with his own demons. Monggu was the only creature that was making Jongin to convince himself to take a grasp of reality. He loved his dog so much even though everyone knew that he has no capacity to even love.

He clenched his fists from Kyungsoo’s statement, trying to calm down. “Then if you don’t know anything, don’t do it. You’re causing trouble.” Jongin controlled his own temper, knowing that if he ever loses it, he might’ve killed his own neighbor.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo lowered his gaze. “Now it figures to me why my last dog died after eating my bars of Cadbury.”

Jongin sighed and put Monggu down from the patio. “You made me so worried, damn.” He told Monggu and his anger was easily wiped off by the dog’s bark.

“Next time, don’t bother him.” Jongin instructed Kyungsoo.

“Sorry,” Kyungsoo apologized once again. “Monggu was really nice though. I was bored and lonely but---“

Jongin already ignored him and was walking away.

“Y-Yah!” Kyungsoo called, not wanting to let the precious opportunity to slide. “You used to be nice! Don’t ignore me! Hey, what’s your name---“

Too late.

Jongin had already closed the balcony’s sliding door that got Kyungsoo shrugging.

Aish seriously? You’re trying to disguise yourself as a good neighbor but you cannot even stand it yourself?

 

--

“Monggu? The dog huh?” Chanyeol jolted down Monggu’s name on his report. “Now you’ve made a bad impression.”

“I looked so dumb.” Kyungsoo added. “When is that informant coming? I’m dying here of hunger.”

Chanyeol glanced at his wristwatch. “Oh, I think she’s already inside this edifice.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes lit up, “What? Wait wait, we should meet somewhere---“

“Kyungsoo, listen.” Chanyeol stated seriously, “All you’ve got to do is to go with the flow okay?”

“What----“

Then the line went dead. Kyungsoo was so confused of what Chanyeol’s possible and disastrous plan maybe but he had to go for it either ways.

Being really confused, Kyungsoo went towards the balcony again and palmed his whole face. Knowing what kind of stunt will the new agent pull off.

“Aish! Sorry If I didn’t talk to you hyung, it’s just I think there’s a commotion at the hallway?” He heard a voice and it was coming from the other balcony.

“Yeah yeah, if it doesn’t stop I think I’m going to call the police? I have to still shoot my project and some weird couple is arguing. The girl’s cute though---“ The boy accidentally glanced at Kyungsoo and even pointed the agent, “O-Oh it’s you!”

And it’s you, the laughing man. Kyungsoo answered in his mind and waved back. Intrigued of what the boy was stating about the hallways, he decided to ask.

“Uh, excuse me? What commotion?”

Taemin pursed his lips and smiled, “I think our other neighbor Is having a midlife crisis with his girlfriend? He was saying, ‘I don’t know you? Go away and all---“

Hinting the catastrophe, Kyungsoo dashed towards his unit’s front door and his eyes widened in shock because of the sight.

“Me? Who I am? Won’t you call that bastard to appear and talk to me like a man!” The girl was crying and even hitting his neighbor, Jongin.

“What the---“

“D.O! D.O talk to me! Why do you have to do this without explaining!” the girl was angry and crying while holding her phone. “ this? You won’t tell him where he is huh?”

“I told you, this is not that ing D.O’s unit!” Jongin was starting to become mad too.

This is the informant!?

Seulgi wiped her tears as her eyes automatically fell on Kyungsoo’s. She clenched her fists, “Y-You---“

“M-Me?” Kyungsoo knew that this girl might be the informant or one of Jongin’s hoes---nah, scratch that.

“How ing dare you!” Seulgi screamed at him and hit his chest. Kyungsoo tried to get her away. “Wait, let’s---“

“Don’t you fool me anymore!”

Act more Agent Do.

“Why can’t you understand that you’re barking off the wrong tree? And worse, you even stirred a commotion for my neighbors!” Kyungsoo shouted back only to be slapped by Seulgi.

What script is this by the way?

“I-I thought you’re different D.O but you’re ing worse than my father! You’re telling me that I am the liar and stirring a commotion?” Seulgi knew that Jongin was still watching or maybe hoping for some explanation so she showed Kyungsoo a text saying his unit number. (that was originally Jongin’s. she purposely acted like it was what kyungsoo texted her)

“D-Don’t be like this---“ Kyungsoo tried to think of a name or else it’ll be very hard to cover up. “----Minah!”

“Damn you! My name’s Serene!” Seulgi was even more furious. Her acting had even been more confident knowing that the agent was getting her grasp. She grabbed all the cash from her bag and slapped it once again at Kyungsoo.

“Stay away from my life!” Seulgi screamed and walked out leaving two confused people at the hallway.

Jongin, after witnessing the scene, still had a pokerface worn on his face.

Kyungsoo gathered all the money. Keep the act going soo!

He turned to Jongin, “I-I know what you’re thinking but you’re wrong---“

“You are one complicated person aren’t you?” Jongin says and crossed both of his arms. “Such a troublemaker.”

Like you? Kyungsoo’s mind said otherwise.

“I’m so sorry.” Kyungsoo stifled a teary eye. “S-She was just a friend and I didn’t know why she’s being like this. I-It won’t happen again.”

Jongin stared at the boy for a few seconds before a small  boyish grin appeared on his face. He stepped forward, to Kyungsoo and leaned. “Make sure of that kitten. I don’t want any involvements.” His words made Kyungsoo’s breath to hitch. His aura was definitely taking all over his mind.

Then Jongin walked back inside his unit leaving Kyungsoo’s mind with another train of wild guesses and thoughts.

Kitten!? Is he taunting me!?

All of a sudden, Chanyeol’s words suddenly rang again inside his head.

Make him fall.

What a long way to go for the agent.

You don’t want any involvements? Well surprise then Kim Kai, I’ll make you stuck with me until you’re wanting me.

 

---

 

is this version better?? comments please