First Memory (Destiny's strike & Broken Hearts)

Memories of a Dragon's Life

A.N.: Rated R because of language.


It all began after my first semester holidays after I moved from Guangzhou back to Vancouver. I knew my family is a family of Fire Magic Dragon shifters but the Dragon in someone usually only awakes when this certain person meets his mate. Even when a Dragon isn’t awake yet you can feel his presence in you and he will guide you when the time and place is right.
I guess that’s what’s happening with me right now. I am at home but I don’t feel like I am. I feel this restlessness inside of me grow. The urge to wander around the city aimlessly kept nagging me but I tried to ignore it and focus on my basketball training. My coach would kill me if our team would lose the last game of the season because its leader isn’t capable to focus for a few minutes. After the training finished Coach Kim called me back before I could take a shower. “Kris, I know you’re the best captain the team ever had, but please try to focus more on the game on Friday. I don’t know what keeps your attention from the game but try to block it out then.” he said. Nodding while mumbling something like “will try it…” I made my way to the bathrooms. *Seems like I am the last one today, again… Whatever, a good warm and long shower will work wonders after this deadly training session.* Not noticing something odd I undressed and stepped in the shower. I always feel warm after training but today it was agonizing. Feeling hotter and sweating more then usual I decided to cool down first by pulling the shower water tap to cold. With closed eyes I didn’t notice it but immediately after the cold water hit my skin fog filled the room. Then it hit me like a rock - my body temperature was rising because it was time for my inner Dragon to awake and find his other half. I will finish this semester and then drop out of college to go travel to find this special someone. I didn’t want to have anything to do with this Dragon thing, but well happens.

(For explanation: The Dragon gen runs in my family but not everyone awakens as a Dragon. It depends on how strong your traits to become a Dragon are.)
I finished my shower half an hour later and stepped out to get dressed. After pulling on my pants, towel hanging over my shoulders, I felt a burning pain on my left upper arm. Clawing it with my right hand to stop the pain I ran to the mirror to see what it was. I couldn’t stop my face from crunching up because of the pain and shock. There on my arm were burning red lines in the form of a Dragon, like a tattoo. Inwardly I cursed my family for being Dragon Shifters, even though I love them. Guess I will have to drop out of college sooner then I thought.


>>At Kris’ house<<
“Mum, I’m home.” shouted I through the hallway while walking to my room. Right after I plopped exhausted on my bed my mum came into my room. “Good your home darling. I wanted to talk to you anyway,” said she before starring at my sleeveless arms and the “tattoo” on it, “but I guess we have something more important to talk about now.” I looked at her questioning. She just smiled and sat beside me on my bed. “I see, you finally got your Dragon Mark. I was waiting for this so long, now is the time for you to go.”  “What? Now?” asked I. “Not now, silly. I know you want to play your last game of this season and your team needs you. But as soon as possible after the game you should go.” was her answer. I sighed in relief but also frustration because that would mean I would miss out on the party after the game, which would also be Luhans birthday party. (Yes my best friend Luhan moved with me from China to Canada to study English, sports (including Dancing) and music.) After my mum left the room I pulled my phone out off my jeans pocket and texted Luhan.


To: Luhan Hyung
From: Kris buddy
“Hey Lu, guess I have to tell you bad news. I will miss out on your birthday party on Friday because apparently my inner Dragon wants me to start my journey.
Will tell you more tomorrow.”

After hitting the send button I threw my phone on my nightstand and went to sleep. I didn’t even care if he answered me or not.

>>The next day<<
I woke up to the annoying ringing of my alarm. Hitting on top of it to make it stop I stood up and picked out my clothes for the day, before getting dressed in my bathroom. To say my mood was bad today was an understatement. I hated myself and my family but I knew in the end I couldn’t change anything. What about missing out on a few parties, it’s not like you can’t celebrate another time. After finishing my breakfast and saying bye to my mum I walked out of the house, picked up my bike and rode to school. Why I don’t take the car? Let me think… I have a driving license but have you ever thought about saving energy and protecting the environment? Not to mention I’m a sports freak that likes to keep his body fit. Arriving at the campus Luhan was already waiting for me at the front gate.
“There you are, finally. I think you have some explaining to do. I didn’t quite get your cryptic message last night.” “Good morning to you, too, Luhan”, was my only answer before walking in. On the way to our lockers Luhan won’t shut up about my message until I snapped and snored “I will tell you later at lunch. Don’t have the nerve for this right now.” “Ok ok, calm down buddy. Just wanted to know why you leave me hanging on my b-day. See you later at our table.”, came back from him before we parted ways to go to our classes. Thankfully we have different timetables, don’t know how I would have coped with this chattering the whole day. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Luhan as my best friend, it’s just sometimes he talks to much, jumps around and all this… I can’t stand this positivity on days like today
.
Before I could even walk to my class I heard someone shouting my name. Just in time I turned around to find a girl in my arms hugging me. Had to take a second look but finally I recognized the girl. Jessica… my ex girlfriend. This brought back bitter memories on my first year of High school. I tried to smile and gently put her down again. She didn’t even let me get a word out before she started blabbering: “Kris!! You don’t even know how much I missed you the past years. Did you miss me too? Please say you missed me too. I don’t want to be without you one more day. You have to know I still love you.” Trying to stay strong I had to tell her the truth. “Jess…”, I trembled, “I missed you too. And I still love you too. And I would say yes to us again in a heartbeat but I can’t. Not this time…” I tried hard to keep my tears in. “It was hard enough letting you go the first time. I couldn’t bare this a second time. You know what my family is. And if it would be you I would know it by now.” I said this while I showed her the Dragon Mark on my left arm. “Please, I don’t want us to hurt more then it already does. I won’t be here anymore after Friday. This mark forces me to go again…” By now I was holding her shaking body in my arms trying hard to stop my own tears from falling. Shaking but trying to stop her tears she crawled out of my arms. “I expected this but I always hoped it would never happen. Now all I can do is to accept that it isn’t me your Dragon choose for you and that it wasn’t your decision this time. Can you at least do me one last favour?”, was all she said. “Everything for you Sica, everything.”, was my answer. “Go on one last date with me tonight. You know where I want to go with you again, one last time.” I knew her well enough to know that this would have been her last wish from me. “Our favourite restaurant and after that to the top of the hill behind the city, right?” “Right.” “I will pick you up at 7.”, were the last words I said to her this day in school.
Parting our ways I took a look at the clock on my phone just to see that I was already 20 minutes late. I would have Art right now by Mr. Yang and I hated it so I decided to just skip the rest of his lesson and the next one and go to my usual spot on the rooftop to calm down. *He won’t miss me anyway.* was my thought while walking to the top hallway. Reaching the door to the rooftop I expected it to be locked but it wasn’t. *Well lucky for me, so I don’t have to use my skills off opening doors another way.* (Yes, I admit, I have gained a little criminal side back in China but only because I always forgot my keys at home…) After walking up the stairs I searched for a nice sunny place to sit at. I chose a spot in front of the wall to the other, a little higher building of the college, where the sun was shining at, at the moment. Pulling out my phone I called my old friend Dean because his parents happen to run Sica’s and my favourite restaurant. I let it ring a few times until Dean finally picked up. “Hello? Dean here.” was his answer. “Ah hello Dean, long time since we last talked. It’s me, Kris, do you remember?” asked I. “Woah, Kris man, how long has it been since we last talked? 4 years? Are you back from China or what’s with your sudden call?” came back. “Yeah, I just came back in the last semester holidays together with my best friend from China, Luhan. I am only home for 2 weeks and everything is going crazy already… But let’s catch up later. The real reason why I called you is because I need your help man.” I heard him chuckle through the phone. “Already expected this. So what’s it this time? Planning a welcome back party, or what?” “Well not exactly… you remember Jessica? My ex girlfriend?” was my shy answer. “Ah yeah, that hyper active ball of energy? Yeah I remember. What’s with her? And don’t tell me you plan to date her again. My heart could never take this cuteness again.” I knew he was holding back a big laugh while saying this so I quickly answered: “I would if I could but there is this family problem in my way… remember the Dragon thing I used to hope would not get to me?” sighed I. “So you want to tell me your Dragon awoke for his journey but didn’t choose your Angel Sica for you?” was his shocked answer. “Exactly.” was all I said. “” said Dean and continued “so what do you need me to help you with? I guess it’s Sica’s last favour we are talking about, right?” “Right, how’d you know?” asked I surprised. He chuckled again. “Man, how long do I know you already? 14 years? I know you would never let a girl go without doing her a last favour.” This time I chuckled. “So I guess you already know what my wish is?” “Sure, the last table in the right wing of the restaurant. And not to forget this wonderful bouquet of roses. A single white one in the middle, a dozen red ones around it and a circle of black ones on the outside, right?” “Seriously, you know me to well, man. So would it be possible for you to have this ready until tonight at 7.30?” was my question. “Haha sure. You forget I work with my parents, I should be able to do this. Otherwise they would kick me out and say I am not their son anymore.” said Dean in a funny way. “I can definitely imagine your parents doing this.” laughed I. “But don’t worry you can always come over to me, that’s if you don’t mind sharing a room with my buddy Luhan.” “Haha but don’t expect me to move out so soon then.” was his answer. “Ok stop with the joking now, see you tonight.” “Yeah see you tonight.” were our goodbyes before I hung up. *Good, this is done. Now to diva Luhan… ah how I hate talking about this damn Dragon thing.* thought I. Taking a look at the clock on my phone I saw that my Art lesson would be over in 5 minutes. *Time to go. I don’t want to miss my math lesson by Mrs. Brown. Don’t need any more trouble this week.* I stood up and walked towards the door down to the hallway and back to my locker on the ground floor to get my math book. Turning and walking back up the stairs I jogged to the second floor to my classroom. Right with the ringing of the bell I slipped through the door. *Thank God the witch (a.k.a. Mrs. Brown) isn’t here already.* Five minutes later the gate to hell opened again and revealed the witch walking in with a young boy behind her. I didn’t really pay attention to what Mrs. Brown was saying until the class quieted down so the new boy could introduce himself. “Hello, my name is Zhang Yixing but please call me Lay. I moved here a few days ago from China and I’m still studying English. I hope we can be friends.” said the boy shyly in Chinese while starring at me. I think Mrs. Brown told him I speak Chinese and that I would translate it for him. After finally the whole class starred at me I began to speak: “His name is Zhang Yixing but you can call him Lay. He moved here a few days ago from China and is still studying English. Please be nice to him, he hopes we can become friends.” Lay bowed and Mrs. Brown told him to sit in the empty place next to me. After he sat he said as quiet as possible: “Thank you for translating. I am still learning.” I just nodded and said back: “No problem, but I guess since Mrs. Brown thought I would volunteer for showing you around and helping you it’s my duty. Only problem is we will have to change your schedule to the same as my friend Luhan because I won’t be here anymore after Friday. Don’t worry, Luhan is from China too but I taught him English in the 4 years I was in China, living with him. His English is quiet good and he can help you study it.” Lay looked surprised and said: “Well, I don’t have a problem with changing schedules but why won’t you be here anymore after Friday?” “Because you aren’t the only mythical beast here in this college. Save it, I already know you’re a Unicorn because I can feel your Aura and smell your nature like scent. But please don’t scream it around what you are. There is a reason why Unicorns still hide from everyone. You’re in danger here, especially because of the witch circle f(x). I can talk to Amber, she is one of the witches in this circle and a good friend of mine, to watch out for you, but you still have to be careful yourself.” “Thank you. But that doesn’t really answer my question why you will leave.” was Lay’s reply. I just showed him the mark on my arm and I swear his eyes grew like 10 times bigger and filled with fear. I quickly said: “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you. I didn’t even want to become a Dragon in first place. Got the mark only yesterday and I still have to learn how to shift…” I guess my facial expression must have looked sad or angered because suddenly Lay was hugging me friendly. Luckily the bell was ringing right in this moment. “I promise I will take care of myself.” murmured Lay before he let me go again. “Thank you… so I guess we should go and change your schedule as fast as possible but before that, let’s have lunch together.” said I. Lay nodded and followed me down to the cafeteria. Once we reached our table in the cafeteria we greeted Luhan. “Hey Luhan, so this is Lay, he is a new student from China.” said I. “Nice to meet you, my name is Luhan.” answered Luhan smiling bright. “He is still in the process of learning English and currently we want to change his schedule to the same as yours because I won’t be here to take care of him and help him after Friday. I thought since you have adjusted to this place quiet well and your English is pretty good maybe you could look after him?” told I Luhan. “I guess I can do that. So welcome Lay to your new college full of average idiots.” laughed Luhan. Lay just smiled and bowed his head a little. I stood up again and looked around to find Amber. Once I spotted her I told my friends I would be back in a few minutes. Walking over to f(x)’s table I already called for Amber: “Hey, Amber. Could I talk to you for a moment?” Immediately she jumped up and walked over to me. “Sure, what’s up?” asked she. I pulled her to a more secluded corner so the rest of f(x) couldn’t see and hear what we talked about. “Look, I got some problems. Today I got a new student in my class and well what should I say… he’s a Unicorn…” mumbled I. “And what have I to do with this?” asked Amber. “Well I thought maybe you could watch out a little for him and protect him when I’m gone?” “This could get dangerous if I don’t want to be caught by Krystal and Victoria… but I maybe know a spell with that I can hide his beast identity…” said she. “Really? That would be awesome from you.” answered I. “Yeah but first I need to see him and ask him where his mark is, so I can place the spell above it. And I would need help from Luna, because it isn’t exactly and easy spell, yet alone a ritual itself.” said Amber. “How about we all meet up after school in the library? You bring Luna and I bring Lay?” was my idea. “Would be good. But still can I see him first and tell him what we plan?” asked she. “Sure, wait a second. I’ll be back with him.” was what I said before I sprinted back to my table. I pulled Lay up and with me back to Amber while he just starred at me and asked: “What the hell are you doing?” “You’ll see once we’re there.” was my only answer. So back at the corner where Amber waited for me I let Lays arm go and said: “Here we are. So that’s Amber and maybe she knows a way to help you staying a little safer in this “insane asylum” called college.” My explanation seemed not to convince Lay at all so Amber quickly said: “ Hi, I’m Amber. Kris may already have told you I’m a witch and well maybe I know a spell to hide your beast identity. Don’t worry; you will still be able to use your powers. The spell will only hide your smell and aura.” she smiled a little to get Lay to calm down. “Aha…” was all what Lay said. He thought for a moment before he asked: “And how am I supposed to know you won’t kill me?” Amber looked at me while I just shrugged my shoulders. “Look Lay, if I or Kris wanted you dead we would have you kidnapped by now to some unknown place. In fact we haven’t, so I guess it’s ok to trust us.” said Amber. “We only want to help you, that’s all.” said I. “Ok, but I swear if you try anything other then this I will be gone as fast as I can.” said Lay defeated. “Good, then this is settled. I hope you have time after school because I planned to do it right today.” was Ambers answer. Lays skin visibly paled right after he heard this but he nodded nonetheless. “Then see you at 2 in the library. Kris will bring you there.” chirped Amber before she proceeded to walk away. Before she could walk around the corner I caught her arm and said: “Wait, I still have some problems I need to talk about with you.” I guess I must have looked desperate because her face lit up - she always loved to listen to my problems and sometimes laugh about them. *Why did I even befriend this witch? On the other side I would have been lost without her at some times.* “So what’s the mighty dragons’ problem this time?” interrupted Ambers question my thoughts. “And don’t tell me its Jessica again.” said she while raising her left eyebrow. “Gosh, it’s her, isn’t it?” her voice changed into one of annoyance when she saw me ducking my head slightly as if she would hit me anytime soon. “How often do I have to tell you, you can’t date this freaking Nymph again? You might not die but can still lose your ability to become a Dragon. Keep that in mind!” by now she was nearly shouting and I shrunk more and more under her stare. I swear if she would have been just a little louder the entire cafeteria could have heard her. “But what can I do? I love her.” whined I. “It’s not Love idiot. It’s black magic and you know it.” retorted Amber. “You know what you have to do. And do it as soon as possible.” continued she. “That’s what I wanted to talk about with you before you exploded…” said I in a tired voice. “Oh…” was Amber’s surprised answer. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to yell at you… it’s just you know what happened last time… I’m worried for the safety of us all. After the first time I don’t think we could handle it if Sica leashed out a second time. She killed 3 students, Kris. 3!” said Amber. “I know what happened. You don’t have to tell me again.” answered I. “One moment please,” said Lay, “did you just say you have a Nymph on this college and you dated her?!” continued he. “Actually we have 9 Nymphs… They call themselves “Girls’ Generation”. And yes I dated one of them. “Love at first sight” would I say if it would be Love…” said I. “And now I have to say Good Bye forever.” were my bitter words. “Maybe I have a solution for this problem.” said Lay. “A solution? What could possibly break the ban of a Nymph?” asked Amber and I at the same time. Lay chuckled and spoke: “Never heard about the myth of male Nymphs?” I think our clueless faces were answer enough for him because he continued: “So you already know there are female Nymphs and they feed on their male human lovers until they die, right?” We nodded in sync. “But what only a few people know, there are also male Nymphs; they just live very hidden in the dark forests of this world. If you happen to bring a male and female Nymph together they will fall in real “Love at first sight” and stay together forever. The other positive aspect is, that the female Nymph will never feed on humans again because the male Nymph provides enough life giving energy to survive for both of them.” explained Lay. “And how should this solve our problem with Jessica?” was Ambers question. “Very simple. I happen to know a male Nymph that is searching for a life partner. If you bring him and Jessica together the bond between her and Kris will end.” said Lay. “This has an interesting ring to it…” mumbled I. “It would solve more then one problem… I would be free from Sica and could go on my journey without having to worry about other students dying because of me, Sica would not be alone, her parents would be happy because they wanted a beast as a partner for their daughter and Krystal wouldn’t kill me for breaking her sisters heart again… This is perfect. Who is this guy and where can we find him?” asked I Lay. “Woah, easy there. First of all, are you definitely sure this will work?” butted Amber in, questioning Lay. “I have lived with this male Nymph and his group of friends for a while. Long enough to witness several of his friends finding Love in another female Nymph, so yeah I am sure this will work.” said Lay and the answer seemed to assure Amber enough to let her worries go. “So again, who is this guy and where do we find him and if he is far away, how do we get him here?” asked I again. Lay started to think. “As far as I know he currently lives with his friends and their partners in a big house in South Korea. In the coast city Busan, near the beach. His name is Jung Heechul and he and his friends call themselves Ze:a. Don’t even ask me how they came up with this name, I don’t know it. (A.N.: To explain, male Nymphs or Nymphs in general have 3 forms. “Human”, Forrest Nymph and Water Nymph. Some prefer the Forrest and some the Oceans and lakes. Female Nymphs today prefer the “Human” form and live in the city. It’s easier like this to find their victims.) To get him to come to Canada would be a little tricky but maybe I have an idea. Does this college have the capabilities to welcome 17 new students?” “Eh, I don’t know but it should be possible considering the fact that the students here come and go all the time and that it is a “Beasts Only” college.” said Amber. “Good, because as far as I know Heechul always wanted to study abroad.” said Lay happily. “And how do you plan on getting him to come over here to Canada, which is like a 14 hour plane ride away?” asked I confused. “Haha, let this be my problem, Kris. I have my ways.” laughed Lay while Amber and I just looked at him like he has gone mad in a matter of seconds.
“So, I guess I will see you in the library then later?” continued he and we nodded. “Luna will miss her Afternoon class but it’s ok, she is at the top of this class anyway.” said Amber. “Ok, I will tell you my plan then and there.” said Lay before he walked back to Luhan’s, mine and now his table. “I hope this ritual won’t take so long. I have to pick Sica up at 7 pm.” mumbled I but Amber caught it. “No, it will hopefully only take an hour and a half, maybe at least 2, depends on how strong Lay is.” answered Amber before saying, “And don’t forget what you are supposed to do tonight.” I nodded before we parted our ways. Lunch was nearly over but I wasn’t hungry anyway.



To be continued.
 


A. N.: Huhu updated a new paragraph again. Yes I know I am slow at updating, sorry... So Heechul is gonna be the solution to Kris problem? Let's see if this goes how it should. Ze:a will have to come over to Canada, but who are the girls that are attached to 8 of the guys? And how will Lay take the ritual? You will have to find out after the next update. ;) Leave me your thoughts in the comments if you want. :) See you for the next chapter. :)