Chapter 1 - She is Taller than I Am

Please Don't Tell Her

A/N: Greetings Sootaelites! I have been working on this since my last vacation and I was bored on the plane. Voila! The concept of the fic was born! But the days went on and I did not conitnue writing, until the other day, and today. I'm almost done with this so no worries. It won't take months or a year for the next chapter to come out.. tee hee.. so... yey enjoy?


 

Flight A37H72 to Jeju Island now ready to board. All passengers please proceed to gate 5.

 

The announcement blasted through the busy airport. Although I know the flight name by heart, I still double checked my itinerary and boarding pass because I was sort of anxious. This was my first time traveling alone and I really did not want to make a mistake. When I was sure that it was my flight that was called, I headed to the gate where I was supposed to go through.


The passengers that would be riding the plane with me filed in excitedly in front of the gate, while I waited for my turn patiently. Since I was alone, I was able to people watch. Also, I was keeping a look out if there were any suspicious persons going on board. You can never be too careful.


There were some college students, some old couple, and a few foreigners in line. They seem to be going on a vacation like I was. The students talked loudly and excitedly while the old couple was trying to hide their annoyance at the noise. I smirked because the old woman was doing her best to stop her husband from calling out the students.


I diverted my attention elsewhere in time to catch what the person behind me was saying.


“How many times did I remind you to check your things before we go? We’re about to board! Where the hell did you put your ticket?” The woman hissed silently to someone she was with. I didn’t dare look over my back because I did not want them to think I was nosy.


I heard fumbling noises then a guy replied to the annoyed woman. “Can you calm down?! It’s here somewhere. I had it in my hand a while ago. Stop trying to embarrass us.” If the man really did not want to get embarrassed, he would have lowered his voice.


The line was slowly shortening as we were approaching the attendant who was checking the tickets. The couple continued to argue and I finally gave in. I turned around and saw a tall, slim, woman who had her back turned from me, since she was facing the man whom I assumed was her boyfriend, still frantically searching for the lost ticket.


I glanced at the seat where I sat earlier while waiting for my boarding time. I didn't find anything there but on the seats beside it laid a lone envelope.

 
“Excuse me. I’m sorry to interrupt, but is that what you’re looking for?” I pointed at the envelope’s direction while gaining the attention of the couple. The woman suddenly turned around to face me. My heart stopped when I was met by the most gorgeous eyes which were annoyed but softened as she looked at the direction I was pointing. The man she was with also looked in that direction and said, “How did it get there?” He did not wait for any response as he swiftly moved to retrieve it.

 
The woman shook her head in disappointment and well, annoyance as she once again turned to face me.

 

“Thank you.” She gave me a grateful smile which I returned.


“You’re welcome.” I didn't get to say more for the attendant was already calling my attention. The students and the old couple already went in and I was suddenly in front of the line.

I took another glance behind me finding the couple I helped still whispering aggressively to one another. Before I’ve completely turned my back from them, my eyes met the woman’s again for a few seconds. I was not aware that I wouldn't be able to normally breathe again after that.
 



The anticipation I was feeling grew stronger as the plane landed. I quickly gathered my things from the compartment above my head so I wouldn't be trapped inside the plane, waiting for my turn to go down. I should have known that my height would give me a difficult time.

 
“Need help?” A deep voice behind me said. I nodded my head and within seconds, my bag was retrieved by this guy named…

 
“Jisoo.” He held out his hand and I shook it. “Taeyeon.” I replied.


“Nice to meet you, Taeyeon.” I gave him a small smile. “Are you here alone?” He continued.

“Yeah.” I said.


“Well then, that makes two of us.” He said with a friendly smile. It was unfortunate that we got stuck inside waiting for our turn to exit the plane, since the other passengers already clogged the cabin door.


The line slowly moved and I spotted the couple whom I previously met on the seats. The man had his earphones on while the woman was using his shoulder as a pillow while she was sleeping. My breath got caught again in my throat while my heart constricted at the sight. I shook my head to get rid of the feeling but it didn't go away.


“Are you okay?” Jisoo asked. I was unaware he was watching me.


“Yeah I am just.. uhm.. excited.” It was a lame excuse but I couldn't really tell if I was okay.


“Me too. I hope I’ll see you around.” He did not think much of it and I controlled myself to not look back as I passed through the cabin’s exit.

 



I arrived at the hotel where I will be spending 2 weeks checked in. This was my most awaited vacation since I have been working nonstop for 3 years. I am currently employed at a prominent IT company and due to our new product launch, my schedule was always hectic. So when I finally got the chance to plan a vacation, I made the most out of it by getting the most beautiful and relaxing place I could find on short notice.


It did not disappoint. I thought of patting myself at the back for a great job of choosing this place. The outside of the resort exudes extravagance, the dimly lit lights accentuating the exterior design. The vicinity was surrounded by trees and I was pretty sure that they would be even more beautiful in the morning. I was looking forward to seeing the leaves change colors since it’s the autumn season after all.

 
“Welcome to the S Hotel. I hope you enjoy your stay!” A woman greeted me as I stepped inside. I gave her a small smile before I made my way to check in.


“Hi! I booked a room...” I started. Just then someone familiar appeared beside me.

 
“Keys to room 308 please.” The man said to the front desk. He then turned to look at me. “Oh hey! Would you look at that? We checked in the same place!”


“Yeah. What a coincidence.” I responded with a friendly smile.


“You still remember my name?” He inquired. I nodded and said, “Of course. Jisoo right?”


“And you are Taeyeon.” He seemed excited to see me which I thought was nice. I was not actually one to talk to strangers, but he seemed like a nice guy. Besides, it’s not like we would see each other anymore after my vacation so no harm done.

 
Jisoo waited for me to check in and he accompanied me to the elevator. “Which room are you in?” He asked. I was kind of hesitant to say it because he might drop by unexpectedly but as I’ve said, he looked nice so what the hell. “404.” 


“I guess I’ll be getting off first.” Jisoo disappointedly said.


“I guess you are.” With that, the elevator dinged signaling our arrival at the third floor. Jisoo waved goodbye and we exchanged goodnights. I sighed after he stepped out, relieved to be alone again. Small talk wasn’t my forte but Jisoo made it less awkward.


Heading towards my room, I scanned every door to look for it.


“401.. 402.. 403.. 40.. Ow!!” My hit the floor within seconds.

 
“Sorry!” The person I bumped into extended their hand to help me up. “Are you alright?” I glanced up and I knew I made a mistake. My heart pumped up speed and my breath had gone out of control again.


I didn’t take the hand that was extended to me in shock. I was frozen on the floor like an idiot. The woman towering over me stared like she was deciphering a code. I finally got over the incident and stood up on my own.


“You’re the girl from the airport.” She stated and I nodded. “I can’t believe we’re staying at the same resort. On the same floor too!” The woman enthusiastically said. I just smiled at her because I had a bad feeling if I opened my mouth I would make a fool of myself. However, I could feel the situation getting a little strained or was I just awkward? I’m a hundred percent sure it was the latter. Good thing she spoke before I did. “Well, thanks again for the help a while ago. And I bet you’re tired. You should get some rest.” She waved goodbye and I saw her enter room 406.


I let out a sigh, this time not because I was relieved to be alone. It was regret that I didn’t even try to get the woman’s name.

 



I was already awake at 5 AM thanks to my body clock. I usually get up at this hour to go to work so I groaned in frustration that I couldn’t go back to sleep. I realized I needed this vacation more than ever to relax. But my mind suddenly flew to the woman who was just two rooms away. I wondered what she was doing. Is she already awake? What does she look like sleeping? Which side of the bed does she sleep on? Is she cuddling with… I shook my head to get rid of the stupid thoughts haunting me this early. Of course they are sleeping together Taeyeon, you god damn idiot. And also why were you even thinking about which side of the bed she’s sleeping on? You don’t even know her name. And so I stared at the ceiling wondering what the hell has gotten into me.


After 15 minutes of pondering and punishing myself with damnable thoughts, my stomach decided that it’s hungry. I actually heard it growl at me so in fear, I dragged myself in the shower to look a little presentable while I eat at the resort’s breakfast buffet.

 
There were only a few people when I arrived since it was still early. I prefer it this way. I was not a fan of noisy and crowded places in the morning. I got a helping of toast and eggs and of course the magical holy liquid that I couldn’t live without – coffee.

 
I sat at the corner most part of the dining area where a large glass window was overlooking the ocean beside the hotel and it was breathtaking. I stared at it for a while and continued doing so while I eat my breakfast. Soon, the place was buzzing with people who just got out of bed. I was secretly grateful that I was early because some were already finding it difficult to be seated.

“Hi, do you mind if I share your table? The place is already full.” I almost choked on my coffee when the woman from last night was once again looking down at me, making my breathing stop.


“No, not at all.” I barely made the words out while gesturing to offer the seat in front of me.


She smiled gratefully as she took her seat, placing her plate on the table. “Thank you.” She again displayed that smile which made me feel some inexplicable thing inside my chest. I totally forgot about the view outside the window. I take back what I said that it was breathtaking because this – her smile, was even more breathtaking.


“Is there something wrong?” She asked while taking a bite of her sandwich. Oh damn, I was staring!


“Sorry.” I quickly said, composing myself. “I was just thinking that I didn’t know your name yet.” The statement caught her by surprise. Her eyes widened, she put her sandwich down, her expression apologetic.

 
“My name is Choi Sooyoung. Yours?”


“Kim Taeyeon.” I said. She extended her hand across the table wanting to shake my hand. I thought it was cute. Before I gave her my hand though, I wiped it off of my pants. I wouldn’t want to give a bad impression by having sticky or oily hands. Besides, this will be the first time I’m gonna be touching this woman – if you count that bumping thing at the hall last night out.

 
My heart pumped in anticipation and before I knew it, I felt the warmth of her hand on mine. It was a brief exchange but it did make my heart feel like it’s gonna have an untimely attack.


“You went here alone?” Sooyoung said attempting to make small talk.


“Yeah...” I lamely responded like I gave off the vibe of a depressed single woman.

 
“I envy you.” She simply replied which totally caught me off guard.


“Why?” I asked. I wanted to ask about her boyfriend but that would seem like I was thinking too much about them. She would probably smell my guilt.


I watch several emotions play out on Sooyoung’s face before she settled on a forlorn one. “Nothing… It’s just that... I wish I could be alone for even just a few days.”

 
“Is something the matter?” I realized that the question was too private after it came out of my mouth. A few seconds passed and I knew I did offend her. Without looking I started to mumble an apology. “Sorry... I was just...”


“No it’s okay.” She said sporting a reassuring smile. “But is it weird that I wanted to tell you even though you are a stranger?”

I smirked and said, “Sometimes it’s easier to talk to a stranger.”


“I agree.” She nodded.


“Now that we’ve established that...” I started, getting more confident by the second. “Didn’t you come here with someone?”


“Oh you mean my boyfriend?” She supplied. “Well he’s still there in our room sleeping like a log. He’s not a morning person.”


The word boyfriend struck something inside me but I shook it off. I was finally talking to this woman freely and I’m not going to take it for granted.


“He’s gonna miss breakfast.” I said.


“Who cares? He’ll come down when he gets hungry.” Sooyoung said nonchalantly. I wondered if they had a fight again because of how uninterested she was at the question; or maybe they were still in a fight from last night. What she had said suddenly came down to her and she looked like she wanted to take it back. Alas, she said nothing.


I spent the last few minutes watching Sooyoung go back and forth to the buffet to our table and every time, I was amazed that she could eat that much. I was on my second cup of coffee while she was getting her 4th helping from the buffet.


“Where do you keep all that?” I asked out of curiosity. I mean seriously, she’s so thin you’d think she’s a model. Or maybe she was. I haven’t asked yet.


Sooyoung giggled at my question and answered, “I dunno. I guess I have a fast metabolism? But thank God right? Coz if I didn’t have one I’d probably be uhm.. overweight.” I tried to imagine Sooyoung being overweight. I bet she’d still look cute.

 
“So, what do you plan to do today?” I carefully inquired hoping that maybe we could do something together.


“Uhh I guess I’ll go have a swim? Also, the weather’s perfect for walks with someone on the beach don’t you think?” She asked back.


“Probably.” I responded not letting the disappointment show on my expression. Of course she’d have plans with her boyfriend whom I totally forgot existed for a few seconds.


I shouldn't really involve myself with them. It was just fortunate that Sooyoung chose to sit with me during breakfast and it was only probably so I could know her name. Now that I know I could live in peace right?

Sooyoung’s phone rang and she picked it up immediately after the picture of the man she was with yesterday flashed on the screen. I took my last sip of coffee and gestured to go ahead. She nodded in understanding and I left the dining area.



A/N: Mistakes are mine, dears.

~geumanhaeyo