Getting to Know You

Body and Soul

Daehyun sat his soulmate down at the table he had just been at. When they had reentered the café, everyone was staring at them, some congratulated them, some whistled, some cheered and the two men blushed. The pair ordered some more coffee and after it had arrived the newly formed soulmates began their introductions.

"Okay, so I am Jung Daehyun," Daehyun started, "and I am 24 years old."

Youngjae froze. "Wait. Daehyun?" he asked.

"Yes?" Daehyun said slowly. He was rather confused.

"You're the friend of Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jungkook?"

"Yes!" Daehyun said happily. "Me and Tae are best friends, we grew up- Wait how did you know?" Daehyun looked at Youngjae with his head on one side. Youngjae thought he looked cute.

"I don't know whether they told you this but they tried to set us up on a date," Youngjae confessed. He now felt a bit torn. If he'd had listened to Jungkook he would have met his soulmate quicker. But this meant that Jungkook would have been right and Youngjae already dreaded the inevitable moment when Daehyun would introduce him to his best friends and Jungkook would look so smug.

"Ahh, yeah they did tell me," Daehyun nodded. "But to be honest I'm still kinda glad you didn't say yes because then you may have gone out with someone who wasn't me," Daehyun said proudly. Youngjae giggled.

"Thanks, Dae," Youngjae said, surprising himself while making both him and Daehyun flush red at the new nickname.

"You're very welcome..." Daehyun trailed off. He looked at Youngjae sadly and it took Youngjae a moment to realise why. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Youngjae. Yoo Youngjae. I'm 23." A flash of recognition crossed Daehyun's face and Youngjae wondered why.

Then Daehyun laughed. And Youngjae became even more confused.

"This is too much of a coincidence!" Daehyun said, still laughing.

"What is?"

"Fate must really want us together." Youngjae stared as if a frog had just landed on Daehyun's head. "You know my best friends and I know yours! This is brilliant." Daehyun just continued to giggle.

"I'm really confused, Dae."

Daehyun stopped laughing and smiled a heart stopping smile at Youngjae. Youngjae couldn't help but wonder whether this beautiful man was really his. "It's okay, Jae-Baby." Youngjae blushed a deep red. "It's just, I know your friends too. I know Jongup from teaching one of his classes at university, I know Junhong because we both spend a lot of time in this café, and I know Yongguk and Himchan from the musicals we've all worked on together! They all talk about you all the time!"

Youngjae stared. He couldn't believe how interlinked he and Daehyun already were. They knew the same people and yet they had never once met.

"This is weird," Youngjae managed to splutter out.

Daehyun just nodded.

___

The two soulmates spent the best part of two hours just talking about themselves and each other in an attempt to try and get to know the other better. They felt so at ease with each other, as if they'd had always been together. Youngjae felt so naturally drawn to Daehyun and Daehyun obviously felt the same, if his wandering hands couldn't tell. About 10 minutes after they told each other their names, Daehyun had moved to sit on the sofa with Youngjae, taking one of Youngjae's hands in his. This had then progressed to their current position where Daehyun was propped up in the corner of the sofa, with his arms wrapped round Youngjae who was positioned between his legs, and with Youngjae's face buried in Daehyun's shoulder. Daehyun also occasionally pressed a kiss onto any available surface on Youngjae's face, though he hadn't yet pressed his lips onto Youngjae's. That was for a special moment.

They didn't feel as if they'd only just met. They felt as if they'd been together for years, that they had lived reach other for years. They felt so perfect. This is what they had both been waiting for and they realised that their uncommonly long wait had only made it more worthwhile.

But there was one thing they were scared to find out: the colour of their wrists. Their colour was supposed to represent them both together and as an individual and they were a bit hesitant to look. Daehyun hadn't taken his cardigan off to try and hide the colour and Youngjae had wrapped his up in his own jumper when they had entered the café.

"Shall we?" Daehyun asked, unconsciously holding Youngjae tighter.

"You mean, our colour?" Youngjae said, motioning to Daehyun's wrist that was lying on his chest. Daehyun nodded. "After three?" Youngjae said.

"Okay," Daehyun said hesitantly, sitting up a bit more so he could roll up his cardigan sleeve. "One."

"Two."

"Three."

The pair exposed their wrists to each other, lying them side by side. They paused.

"What?" Youngjae spluttered.

Their colour was not what they were expecting. Youngjae expected something bright, like TaeKook's. Daehyun had been expecting something soft like Jongup's and Junhong's. Neither of them expected this.

Their right wrists were now a dull yellow colour, as if someone had decided that yellow shouldn't be a bright, happy colour and so had thrown in some dark grey. It was almost depressing.

"I don't understand," Youngjae said. "We're not a bad couple are?"

There was a saying that the brighter or more beautiful colours represented soulmates who were very close to each other, who understood each other easily, and who were the best match for each other. Soulmates with horrible, murky colours were ill suited or not the best match.

"No, of course not, Jae," Daehyun said quickly, pulling Youngjae closer. "Maybe it'll brighten? We've only just met so maybe we can make it brighter the closer we become." Daehyun already knew that it didn't work like that.

"I don't know, Dae," Youngjae said sadly. Daehyun only pulled him closer, thinking that Youngjae was going to cry.

"Or, or maybe it's just compensating," Daehyun said hopefully. "We're such a perfect couple that there's no colour bright enough for us, so fate has decided to give us a colour that won't make everyone jealous of how perfect we are. I know what I feel for you. And right now I know that you are my perfect soulmate. I feel so complete with you here with me, so much so that I don't ever want to let you go." Daehyun kissed Youngjae's cheek.

"Thanks, Dae," Youngjae said, kissing Daehyun's cheek back. " I feel the same. I feel like I finally have everything I could ever want, and it's you."

Daehyun could see though, that despite his words, Youngjae was still a bit upset. "Don't let it bother you, Jae-Baby. You're perfect for me so don't let our colour tell you otherwise."

"Okay, Dae. I won't," Youngjae said. "Thank you." Daehyun smiled. "I, I ... I really like you."

"Good because I really like you too." Daehyun smiled.

The pair settled down again, just holding each other until it was time for them both to leave the café. The couple held hands as they walked down the street, neither of them knowing exactly where they were going but that didn't matter. They were happy.

"Dae?" Youngjae asked as they stopped at a red man. "Are you going to Himchan's party tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I am." Daehyun smiled and pressed a kiss to Youngjae's cheek. "Do you want to go together? And surprise them all?" Daehyun asked with a grin.

"They'll be so shocked!" Youngjae giggled, as they started to cross the road. "Oh, I can already imagine Himchan's face! It'll be brilliant!" Youngjae hugged Daehyun's arm.

"Well, erm," Daehyun started shakily, "do you want to, I don't know, stay over at mine tonight?" Daehyun didn't look at Youngjae in case his reaction wasn't good. "So then we can go to the party together? Plus, we can get to know each other better." Daehyun suddenly realised how that sounded. He pulled Youngjae to a halt and looked him in the eyes. "I didn't mean in a-a-a, that kind of way, but in a friendly get-to-know-you-way. B-but it's up to you, Jae. You don't have to come over if you don't want to." Daehyun started to panic.

Youngjae laughed lightly, secretly thinking Daehyun looked very cute when he panicked. Youngjae pulled his soulmate into a hug. "It's fine, Dae. Of course I'll come over."

Daehyun smiled as if he'd just won the lottery. "Thanks, Jae."

Daehyun just hugged Youngjae tighter and then started to lead him towards his apartment.

 

 

---

Here we go!

Thank you for reading!

And thank your to all my subscribers and commenters!