SPRING - CHAPTER 2

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bom stared shamelessly at the gigantic fortress that stood before her and tried to wrap her head around the fact that this is actually a house and not a holiday resort. The concrete fence towered over her and she could only see the tops and branches of several trees overhead. The gate was made of intricately designed heavy wrought iron that probably weighted a ton.

She checked her phone again to see if she got the address right. She read Dong Hae's message and checked the number on the blue plate on the gate. Yep. She's at the right address. 

She walked up to the steps that led to the gate and peered through the gap between the metal gate. She saw a long driveway that disappeared around a bend. There was a wide expanse of lawn which was exquisitely landscaped and Bom could not help but wonder how much it cost to keep the grass green in spring and summer.

Well, here goes nothing, she thought to herself as she hit the doorbell. A second later, the small speaker mounted on the wall crackled and she heard a woman speaking.

"Neh, nugu haseyo?" The elderly woman asked.

"Ah, neh, anyeonghaseyo. Park Bom imnida. I'm the nurse. I was called for an interview today," Bom said politely.

"Ah, neh. Please wait while I tell someone to get you," the lady said before cutting off their conversation. There was a slight buzz and a clang when the gate was unlocked. Bom pushed it and let herself in.

What did the older woman mean when she said she'd tell someone to get me? Bom thought.

She closed the gate behind her and turned around. If she was impressed by what she saw through the gaps of the gate, she was totally blown away now that she was inside.

It was like a park. A very big park with a large fountain on one side and several garden statues of cherubs scattered around. Bom walked inside, following the driveway. There was still no sign of the house as she went around the bend.

Exactly how big is this property? Bom thought to herself as she regretted wearing heels. She didn't expect to be walking today. She took a cab going here since this neighborhood is notoriously difficult to go to. No bus lines go through this part of the city.

She walked a few more minutes up the driveway and wondered just how far she had to walk and if her heels would actually make it. Bom looked around and saw nothing else but carefully manicured lawns and plants. She was at the top of a small hill and from her spot she saw various parts of the property below.

"Wait, is that a swimming pool? And a tennis court?!" She said loudly.

She was interrupted when she heard the sound of a vehicle coming. She thought it was a motorbike but she was surprised when she saw that it was golf cart being driven by a uniformed driver. 

"Oh, you're here. Sorry if I took so long. The new cart was being used by the gardener. I had to use this old one," the young driver said as soon as he arrived in front of Bom.

"It's OK. So this is what the lady meant when she'd ask someone to get me," Bom thought with a laugh.

"Park Min Woo, imnida. I'm one of the family drivers," the young man said.

"Oh, I'm Park Bom. I'm applying for the private nurse position," Bom said.

"Please get in the cart, Park agashi (Oh, please don't call me that! Bom interrupted which Min Woo did not mind listening to) Madam Lee is waiting for you," Min Woo said and Bom promptly complied.

"This place is unreal. You actually need a golf cart to pick up guests at the gate?" Bom said in amazement as they drove off to the house.

"Uh, yeah. Although it's been a while since I last picked up someone from the East Gate. Only the family uses it and guests that use it all have cars and drivers.

There's the South gate for the staff and deliveries. Then there's the West Gate but that's been closed for years," the young man explained.

"Well, that explains it. Dong Hae gave me the address. I doubt he knows there's another entrance to this place," Bom said with a laugh.

She was about to ask another question when the house came to view. 

"That's the house?!" Bom asked in disbelief as they drove closer. She saw Min Woo nod from the periphery of her vision.

It wasn't a house. It was more like a palace, like one of those Victorian Chateaux in the French countryside that she'd seen on travel shows. It was white with deep blue roofing. It had more than a dozen large windows on the front side and when they arrived at the front door, Bom was again floored. She had never seen front doors that big and that intricately carved. It should be in an art gallery somewhere, not sealing entrances for houses.

Bom got off the golf cart and after saying a brief goodbye, MinWoo drove off once again. She was surprised when the large front doors opened and there stood an elderly lady wearing a crisp white button down shirt, dark blue A-line skirt that fell a few inches below her knees and black shoes. Her hair was done in a bun with not a strand out of place.

"Anyeonghasseyo," Bom greeted politely.

The elderly woman greeted back and a moment later they were walking inside the house. Bom felt like she wasn't in Korea anymore. There was a set of grand staircases to the left and an intricate crystal chandelier hung from the high ceiling of the main hall. There were paintings, antique hallway tables, and large vases filled with fresh flowers down the hallway. Everything in the house screamed grand and expensive and Bom felt truly out of place.

"Madame Lee is waiting here," the lady said after stopping in front of a set of double doors. The lady lightly knocked on the door before opening it.

"Sora-yah, the new nurse is here," the elderly lady said as she announced the nurse's arrival.

Bom entered the room and was surprised to see a very beautif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter