001

from icy glares to soft stares

Joohyun Focus

Joohyun bid goodbye to her parents, kissing their cheeks hastily before running off to catch up with her bestfriend, Park Sooyoung. She looked behind her only to see her mother's eyes swelling with tears. She smiled at them before getting on the train, bringing her palm to her puckered lips and sending a flying kiss to her parents.

Bae Joohyun, a fifth year Ravenclaw student, still finds her parents getting emotional every year they send her off to Hogwarts. At the back of her mind, she knows she can't blame them being the only child of the family.

"They're gonna be fine, Joohyun." Sooyoung said, her warm hands snapping Joohyun out of her thoughts. Joohyun nodded, staring fixedly at her parents.

"Yeah. Yeah, I hope so, too."

"Hey, come on. We have to look for Sungjae. He told me that there's still some space in their usual compartment." the pair of heads troddded along the narrow space, necks stretched out and eyes wide open as they look for Sooyoung's one-year boyfriend.

Joohyun groaned as her eyes landed on a certain someone.

"What is 'she' doing here?" she exclaimed, refusing to look longer at the "she".

"Well, hello to you too, Joohyun." she said, her face sporting a small smirk as she remove one earbud out of her ear. "And it's Seulgi, by the way. In case you already forgot about me throughout vacation."

"Ugh, I wish I did." Joohyun said, not bothering to hide the annoyance in her voice. "And don't call me Joohyun! We ain't close." she snapped.

Seulgi raised both her hands in defense, chuckling lightly as she smirked at Joohyun. "Chill, woman. I didn't say that we are." the latter threw the former a glare.

"Look, Hyun-", Sooyoung said, stepping in between her friend and Seulgi, both busy throwing looks at one another, "everywhere else is full. We're lucky Sungjae and Seulgi agreed to share with us their usual compartment."

Joohyun was about to protest but was effectively shut down when Sooyoung gave her a look. "Ugh- fine. But I'm only thanking Sungjae!"

"You're still welcome, pretty face." Seulgi said, beaming. Joohyun ignored her and begrudgingly sat straight to seat in front of Seulgi after an internal battle on whether it was better to sit in front of the girl or seat beside her.

Joohyun brought out a textbook and flipped through its pages. She curiously analyzed the moving pictures drawn in the book and no sooner, she got too invested with the book.

A little while later, Joohyun felt movements from the girl seating in front of her. She decided to ignore the constant squirming and tried to focus again on the book.

Except that she couldn't anymore.

Out of annoyance, Joohyun shut her book only to see Seulgi's black hair near her legs. Blinded with panic, Joohyun's legs shot up, hitting Seulgi's face in the process.

Chaos ensued.

"Ow!" Seulgi groaned, clutching her bloodied nose. "Joohyun! What the hell!" she exclaimed angrily.

"I- it's not my fault!" Joohyun shouted. "You're being a ert!"

"No, I am not!"

"Yes, you are!"

"Joohyun," Sungjae interjected, "Seulgi was actually just trying to reach out for her guitar."

Joohyun turned to look at Sooyoung who was shaking her head in frustration. Sungjae was holding Joohyun's shoulders, trying to coax her.

"You totally ruined the mood, pretty face!" Seulgi hissed, snapping Joohyun out of it. It was just then when Joohyun processed Seulgi's condition.

"Y-your nose..."

"Is still a nose."

"Here, I think I know a spell to mend that." Joohyun said, ignoring Seulgi's snide remark. She cupped Seulgi's cheek, her right hand clutching her wand.

Seulgi was looking intently at her, watching her every moves. Joohyun glared at her in return.

"Don't move too much." she said. "It's gonna hurt a bit."

She pointed the tip of her wand towards Seulgi's nose. "Episkey." she whispered.

"Oww!" Seulgi let out and clutched her now healed nose. "Thanks." she muttered and gave Joohyun a small smile.

"Yeah whatever, ." Joohyun went back to her seat, followed by Sooyoung. Sungjae and Seulgi were left standing, both were shifting their gazes awkwardly.

Joohyun watched as the two of them seemingly talk with their eyes. Seulgi's were going back and forth from Sooyoung and Sungjae until her eyes landed on Joohyun.

Joohyun immediately teared her gaze away and turned scarlet once she realized that she's been staring at Seulgi.

Joohyun was calming herself down, looking outside the window when Sungjae cleared his throat. "This wasn't what I planned." he said and gestured at Joohyun to Seulgi then to the whole compartment. "Well, what both of us planned." he corrected, looking briefly at Seulgi who gripped her guitar.

"Yeah! All because a certain someone decided to kick me in the face." Seulgi muttered, glaring at Joohyun.

"Hey!" she exclaimed, offended. "You're lucky I know a spell to fix that or you'll be groaning in pain until we reach Hogwarts!"

"And whose fault is that?"

"Yeah! Whose fault?"

"Okay! Break it up, you two!" Sungjae interjected. "This ain't about the both of you!" Sungjae glared at Seulgi. The latter grumbled as she sat and so does Joohyun.

Seulgi placed the guitar on her lap and started playing with the strings, checking if the instrument was properly tuned.

Joohyun was looking intently at the guitar, watching as Seulgi's hands do magic.

Joohyun started to wonder if it was possible have such pretty yet masculine hands like Seulgi.

Seulgi looked at Sungjae and nodded her head.

"Hey, I know this is so out of the blue and a lot of things happened-" Sungjae glared at Seulgi and Joohyun, "but, let me have a dance with you?" Sungjae smiled shyly, his hands reaching out for Sooyoung's.

Seulgi started playing an song unfamiliar to Joohyun. "Sure." Sooyoung replied, her cheeks was rosy.

Sungjae started singing, his deep voice filled the corners of the small compartment as Seulgi's instrument helped to bring more color to the song.

Seulgi would sing at some parts, her voice raised a bit higher to compliment her friend's lower one.

It would have been awkward for Joohyun watching as her bestfriend and her boyfriend sway to music if she wasnt too entranced with the way Seulgi sung.

Seulgi sung so prettily that even Joohyun had a hard time convincing herself that she does not want to hear Seulgi sing ever again.

Why is the world so unfair that Kang Seulgi even got a very pretty voice that could make people want to sleep and make a sleeping person want to wake up? And to match that up with such striking visuals--

"Falling for me yet, pretty face?" Seulgi asked in a low voice as to not disturb her friends and Joohyun would have missed it if she wasn't looking intntly at Seulgi.

Joohyun's eyes widened when she realized that- ? Was I staring at her again?

"A-as if, asshat!" she tried to compose herself and tried to think of a comeback. "Why would I when you have an ugly nose?"

Seulgi smirked, her features getting more striking as she did. "Miss Bae Joohyun, may I remind you that this nose-" she set her guitar aside,making sure that it was properly leaning on the seats before pointing to her bruised nose, "-is your piece of art."

"S-shut up! I fixed it already!"

"Are you sorry though?" Seulgi looked at Joohyun intensely that she had to look away.

"So what if I'm not?"

Seulgi stood up and brushed her pants. Joohyun finally looked at Seulgi and realized that the latter was towering over her.

"Dance with me then."

"I- What?"

Before Joohyun can even think of a coherent thing to say, Seulgi already effortlessly pulled her up. She gently laid her hands on Joohyun's waist. Joohyun refused tomove, her arms sticked to her sides. She looked at Sooyoung to ask for helpbut all she got was teasing smiles and Joohyun knew that she had no choice but to go with it. Despite the lack of choice, she refuse to give Seulgi the satisfaction of putting her hands on Seulgi's shoulder. No way in hell I am-- WHAT IS SHE DOING?!

"Take my hand, take a breath

Joohyun panicked when she felt Seulgi's warm hands guiding hers and wrapping it around Seulgi's neck. 

Pull me close and take one step

Seulgi smiled at her lightly as she pulled Joohyun closer to her.

Keep your eyes locked to mine

Joohyun finally looked at Seulgi's face only to find the latter staring at her.

And let the music be your guide"

Seulgi's voice is just so, so soft. It made Joohyun think that Seulgi's singing just for her. It's a pure contrast to the loud and teasing voice that Joohyun always got from Seulgi.

No sooner, Joohyun adjusted to the closeness between her and seulgi. She can hear Sungjae singing and Seulgi would occasionally sing with him, sometimes humming to the song. Joohyun got hyper-aware of what's happening between her and Seulgi.

The way Seulgi's hands laid at her waist, it's there but it's a very light touch, feathery even, just as to not make Joohyun uncomfortable. It dawned upon Joohyun that Seulgi did gave her a choice. She can still easily break out of Seulgi's arms but she didn't.

Dancing with Seulgi in the middle of a train's compartment with her bestfriend and her boyfriend. Joohyun made that choice.

"Its like catching lightning,

the chances in finding someone like you

And the with the way Seulgi's gaze was on her the entire time, another contrast from annoyed glares to fond looks, Joohyun was starting to think if she's just trippy from dancing on a moving train. This cannot be Seulgi.

Its one in a million,

the chances of feeling the way we do

And with the way Seulgi's minty breath hits her face lightly, giving her small smiles as she do so, Joohyun realized that, no, she does not regret this decision of hers.

"Joohyun-"

"Seulgi-"

They both laughed. "You go first then." Joohyun said.

"I'm sorry." Seulgi started, her voice sincere. "I'm sorry I should have told that I was going to reach out for something under your seat and I shoul've told you to move. It's not your fault if you felt violated. It was mine. You just- you just looked peaceful reading your book I thought I sh-"

"I'm sorry too, Seulgi." Joohyun cutted Seulgi off. "For misunderstanding your intentions." Seulgi shook her head lightly, frowning. "And for also breaking your nose."

"That apology, I will accept."

"I accept yours, too."

Can I have this dance

It's like watching Seulgi in a different light. Wherein Seulgi is just a happy kid, someone who randomly asks Joohyun to dance with her on a moving train as if it was a normal thing to do.

It felt nice.

Can I have this dance"

The song ended and like magic, Irene blinked herself out of her stupor. She immediately broke free from Seulgi and went to her seat. Sooyoung and Sungjae followed suit not after sharing giggly moments together.

It made Joohyun want to puke with what she was witnessing.

In the end, it was only Seulgi who was left standing staring at the space that Joohyun occupied.

"Seulgi," Sungjae called out, tugging Seulgi's sleeve, "take a seat already, bro." Seulgi followed her friend's advice not before looking at Joohyun for a fleeting moment.

Joohyun stared at Seulgi who went back to watching the scenery that passes her eyes. She was thankful that Seulgi can't see that she's staring at her because Joohyun knows that Seulgi would find a way to  endlessly about it.

Though, she can't help to smile when she saw Seulgi let out a small smile while staring outside the window, making Joohyun think that Seulgi looks like a bear.

What she doesn't know is, Seulgi was actually staring at her reflection through the mirror.

 


 

i finished chapter one and its almost 3 am aaAahHHH

pls let me know what u guys think

follow me on twt @lipseulrene

dont forget to drink your water!!