Badge

Badge

A soft breeze flows through the coffee shop as the door opens with a ring of the bell. The people closest to the door tuck their scarves a little closer to their necks, keeping a tight grip on their warm cups to escape the winter cold. 

A particular person runs a hand through his light brown locks that had been tousled by the wind, sipping his bitter coffee as he stares at the people in the shop. Even if it is his day off, Jonghyun can't let go off the habit of trying to read the people in the shop. He watches the nervousness in the cashier as she tries to hand the coffee without spilling to the businessman with a phone to his ear. He watches the couple by the window a few seats from him trying to keep their voices down while they argue. He can see the little kid, maybe 7 years old, trying to reach for a cookie on the counter, before being tugged harshly by his mother as she pulls him back to the table. 

Jonghyun likes doing that. Just watch people. After he got his job he figured he's actually very good at it. He notices the small details which not only makes it easier to tell if someone is lying, but it also gives him an upperhand when talking to people. Like when he first entered, he had noticed how nervous the cashier had been, it's probably her first week or something. He had made sure to talk slow and clear and give her a comforting smile, also giving her a tip before going to take a seat. He felt the smile grow on his face when he saw the tension slowly slip from her shoulders.

His attention is caught by the couple that had walked into the coffee shop. Especially by the raven with the feline eyes. Jonghyun's eyes rake over the boy's body, taking in the lean frame and the tight jeans over strong thighs, long fingers and delicate features. White milky skin and dark brows that has a small cut on the right one. Jonghyun focuses back on the eyes, the way they flick over the whole shop quickly. His own eyes narrow as he picks up on the tense way he stands, how his eyes are just a little wider than they probably are usually. Eyes filled with fear. 

He frowns, looking back at his cup which is getting cold, as he tries to figure out why the raven would be scared by being in a coffee shop. He looks over to the taller man that had accompanied him to the shop. He takes in the muscular build, he's not much bigger than him, but the height makes him seem larger. There's a permanent frown on his face, sharp features and dark eyes. 

Something doesn't seem right. 

Jonghyun watches in silence as the couple walk up to the cashier. He can easily hear the taller man's barking voice. "One coffee black." He says, sharp enough to make the cashier flinch. She nods and turns around to start making it. In the meantime his eyes move to the raven, who's looking up at the menu board with sparkling eyes. He watches the pink tongue come out to his heart-shaped lips, but also how he bites them as he looks over to the taller man, hesitant in his movements. 

The cashier turns back and puts the cup down on the counter, then she turns to the raven with a small smile. "What would you like?" She asks.

"He doesn't want anything." The taller man says as he slaps some money on the counter, startling the cashier again. The raven looks like he wants to say something, his fingers twisting on the bottom of his jacket. 

"I-I actually wanted an americano." He says, barely above a whisper. The tall man scoffs.

"You've already had coffee, you don't need more caffeine cause then you would never shut up. And you don't have the money anyway." He barks, unnecessary anger in his voice. The raven flinches and looks down, going back to fiddling with his jacket.

Jonghyun glares at the taller man. How can he say that? The tall man grabs his cup as the cashier hands him the change, taking a sip but immidiately spitting it out again.

"What the hell is this?" He shouts at her, and her eyes widen in fear when he throws the cup to the ground, the coffee spilling the floor. The raven's head whips up and looks around at the people who's now staring at them. He carefully reaches for the man's arm and tugs on it. "How did you get this job if you can't even make a normal coffee?" He continues to shout, and Jonghyun can feel his jaws tightening as he tries to keep himself from rushing over. 

"People are staring, let's go." The raven says quietly, but the taller just slaps his hand away and gives him a death glare, immidiately shutting him up. Jonghyun can see the fear in his eyes, the way he quickly covers himself. It sparks fury inside Jonghyun's chest, because he's seen couples like this, and he knows what that action means.

"I want my money back, I'm not paying for this ." By now, everyone in the shop is staring at them, most of them are glaring at the tall man, others are staring sympathically at the raven. 

"I-I'm sorry, I-I'll make a-a new one." The cashier says, but because she's so scared she drops the change she had in her hand. 

"Lets just go, please?" The raven tries again, flinching once more when the taller turns to him. 

"Not until I get my money back, so shut up. God, you're almost as useless as her!" He says, and it's really the last drop. Jonghyun sends a quick text to his partner to come by with the car because he's fairly certain there will be trouble. He gets up from his chair, and everyone in the shop looks over at him as he walks closer. He taps on the taller man's shoulder. 

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave." He says, glaring at him as he crosses his arms over his chest. The man just scoffs at him.

"And what are you going to do, shorty?" He says with a smirk, and Jonghyun has to hold himself back from punching him in the face. Instead he calmly reaches for the badge in his pocket as he opens the other side of his jacket to show his gun holster. 

"Well, I do have the right to hold you at the station for 24 hours without charge, how about that?" He says with a smirk of his own, hearing the gasps from the customers as the taller man's face pales. He quickly composes himself.

"I haven't done anything." He spits.

"You've been causing unnecessary noise and shouted at the employee. You've also been extremely rude and slapped the young man beside you." Jonghyun says calmly, but takes a step closer as his eyes darken. "And I bet if I poke a little closer I'll find some dark secrets to lock you away." He says, just low enough so the customers won't hear, but he can see in the corner of his eye that the raven's eyes widen.

The tall man's face is now red from anger, he's seething. Jonghyun can see the second he loses control, and is able to dodge the punch that is directed at his jaw. He grabs the hand and twists it behind the man's back, pulling it up until he falls on his knees.

"And now you assault a police officer, bad move." Jonghyun says as he reaches in his pockets for his handcuffs. He looks up when the customers clap, and gives them a smile. Just on time, the door opens behind him and he turns to see Minho raising an eyebrow at the scene. 

"I'm not even going to ask. Come on, buddy, let's have a talk down at the station." Minho says as he grabs the taller man and hauls him back to the car. 

Then he turns to the raven, seeing him look at him with wide eyes. He tilts his head in question and walks closer. "Are you alright?" He asks softly. The raven flinches.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." He says. 

"What's your name?" He asks as he puts his badge away again. 

"Kim Kibum." The raven mumbles. Jonghyun gives him a comforting smile, trying to make him relax.

"Do you mind if I ask you some questions?" He asks softly. 

Kibum seems to hesitate, looking towards where Minho had dragged his boyfriend. But something sparks in his eyes, and he turns back and nods. Jonghyun's smile grows and he gestures for the table where he had sat before. Kibum walks over while Jonghyun goes to the cashier, asking if she's alright. She nods and thanks him, and he orders an americano for Kibum. She nods, and Jonghyun notices she's more confident now that the tall man is gone. He walks back to his seat, setting the cup infront of Kibum, who looks at it with wide eyes. "You didn't have to." He says weakly.

"But I wanted to, and you said you wanted one, right?" Jonghyun says, fiddling with his cup of cold coffee that he had forgot. "Now, can you tell me his name?" He says first. 

"Kwang Minsook." Kibum says as he looks at the cup, hesitating before he grabs it. Jonghyun waits for him to take a small sip before asking again.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He asks. Kibum wrinkles his nose, a blush covering his cheeks as he nods. "Does he act out like that often?" He continues.

"Yes, but he's stressed, he has a lot of work and he doesn't sleep very well." Kibum says quickly. Jonghyun just nods, taking a mental note. 

"How long have you been seeing him?" He asks.

"8 months." Kibum says after thinking about it.

"Did you....did you know he was this aggressive when you met him?" Jonghyun wonders, more of a personal question. 

"No, he seemed nice at first. Then things got bad at his work and he...." Kibum takes his cup and sips it, avoiding the rest of the question.

"Kibum, you don't have to defend him or keep anything from me, I knew right after you walked through the door." Jonghyun says with a small sigh. Kibum's eyes widen again. 

"H-how?" Kibum asks, his voice high-pitched.

"From the way you leaned away when he started shouting, how you flinched when he turned to you. Has he....hurt you in any way?" Jonghyun asks quietly. Kibum glances down at the table, gnawing on his lip as he spins the cup in his hands. 

"Not often, it's happened once or twice maybe." Kibum mumbles, barely loud enough for Jonghyun to catch it, but he hears it, and it makes him want to go down to the station to beat the up. 

"Kibum, once is already too many. There's no excuse for hitting a significant other. Do you....I'm sorry to have to ask but, do you have any scars or evidence?" Jonghyun asks. 

Kibum seems to think about it for a while before pointing to the split in his eyebrow. "He...got angry and pushed me against a shelf." Kibum mumbles, diverting his eyes from Jonghyun's who's are filled with anger. He contemplates what his boss will do if he just kills Minsook when he gets back.

He takes a deep breath to control his anger, knowing he has to be calm since it's business. "Do you have any pictures of bruises or injuries that can help to prove they were from a person?" He asks. 

Kibum shakes his head, but his eyes widen just a few seconds after. "My brother might have. He...wanted to take me to the police station to press charges but I talked him out of it." Kibum says, letting out a sigh. 

"Would you agree to press charges if I ask you?" Jonghyun says, and Kibum looks back at him. "You're in a poisonous relationship, Kibum, you have to get away before it's too late. I'll help in any way I can." He says, his eyes showing his seriousness. 

"Why?" Kibum asks after a second of silence. 

"Because you don't deserve it. You're a kind and beautiful soul, who shouldn't be pushed in the shadows by a monster like him." Jonghyun says, meaning every word.

"You don't even know me." Kibum mumbles with a blush.

"I'm good at reading people." He says with a smile. "It's a part of my job. And from what I've seen, I know that you could have so much better than him." He continues. Kibum bites his lip again and looks down, and Jonghyun can't help but notice how beautiful he looks when he's shy. "Please press charges." He pushes, hoping the other will agree. 

"Fine." Kibum says and sips from his cup again. 

"Thank you." Jonghyun says. He reaches for the napkin on the table and pulls out a pen from his jacket, scribbling his number and his name and address. "Here's my number if you need anything, I would also like to speak with your brother to see if he can help when we press charges. I just want you to know that it's not easy, and that you may want to back out, but that you'll feel better in the end." Jonghyun says and pushes the napkin towards Kibum. "Call me if you need anything, and I mean anything, okay?" He asks, looking at him. Kibum nods shyly, taking the napkin in his hand. 

"Thank you." He whispers. 

"Come by the station tomorrow with your brother and we'll talk." Jonghyun says, taking his cup and throwing it in the trash as he closes his jacket. "And Kibum?" He says as he turns around by the door. The raven looks up with raised eyebrows. "Smile, it'll get better, I promise." He says with a grin before walking out, hearing the bell over the door when he opens it and closes it behind him.

 

 


 

 

Wiiiiiiii<3 

It was a little short, but fluffy, right? Poor Kibum baby :(

 

Please subscribe and comment to let me know what you think~<3

 

Thanks bye

chu~~