Opportunity Makes A Goddess

God, It Has Begun

 

 

It was almost 7.30 when Nami emerged from the bathroom. She put on her uniform quickly and grabbed her bag lying next to the bed. She only stopped in her haste by the mirror for a look.

 

She had curly brown hair and brown eyes. No outstanding feature. Totally average… Her soul was on a different page. At least that’s what she’s been saying to herself.

 

“I’m special in a way.” Nami murmured to her reflection then fist bumped in the air and exclaimed. “Today will be different!”

 

Self-talk took some time away. She ran down the stairs almost tripping on the last one… thankfully she saved in the last minute and instead of falling on her , she grabbed the doorway and stayed on her feet.

 

„Dad, I’m leaving!”

 

Strange, she thought running on the street to catch the bus. Dad’s usually at home all the time. Where did he go? To the market? To the casino two streets down? If he chose the later, I’m so not going to make him duck for dinner today no matter how hard he’s been whining for it for weeks.

 

Somehow she could make it on time. When Nami entered the classroom, the teacher was nowhere to be seen and all her classmates were chatting comfortably.

 

Upon seeing her entrance, Mia waved from the corner.

 

“Ya, Bang!”

 

Some students laughed at the nickname. Nami made her way to her friend begrudgingly.

 

“I’ve told you not to call me like that.”

 

“We have like three Nami in the class. Chill, Bang.” Mia rolled her eyes good-naturedly. “Don’t be too spiteful the morning. Chanyeol will see you and that one percent chance you have will fade away at instant.”

 

Just by the mention of his name, Nami cautiously glanced around. She really didn’t need more humiliation in front of her classmates, especially in front of Chanyeol. Last time he could witness her eating up rice like a pig, with her bare hands. First and foremost, it was Dad’s fault. The old man for once packed her lunch but forget to put in chopsticks (and anything but rice, for that matter). Maybe she could have asked somebody for a spare but Nami was too hungry to care about that. They sat in the back of the cafeteria but somehow Chanyeol happened to walk over there… She thought she’ll sink in shame.

 

“This time warn me if he’s around.”

 

“Of course. I’ll install a Park-Chanyeol-radar for you. The signal will be a dying whale.”

 

“I’d consider something less awkward.”

 

“What about a hungry hippo?”

 

Nami pulled a face. She befriended Mia because she seemed to be the most suitable and available person in the classroom. At times like this she’s regretted not going to Stinky, the weird guy squatting in the corner. He did was stinky but at least less crazy.

 

“What’s up, ladies?”

 

Talking about crazy.

 

“Mia is on a roll. Please, spare us with your presence, Jongdae.”

 

“What a nice welcome.” The guy announced not amused. “I’ve just wanted to step by to say good morning, you know.”

 

“Yes. And after that you’d have teased Bang with her stupid crush and me with my cinnamon rolls hairdo.”

 

Jongdae grinned.

 

“Now you’re saying it oh my God, Choi, you look like a cinnamon roll!”

 

While the guy was rolling on the ground like a buffalo, the two girls continued with their conversation.

 

“Do you have any plans for today?”

 

“I’ll ask Chanyeol out.”

 

“Whoa.” Mia stopped doodling in her workbook hearing that. “Wait a minute. You’re saying you go up to him and casually ask him out?”

 

“Yes.” Nami nodded confidently. “I’ve been waiting enough for him to forget about the cafeteria incident. Now or never. I won’t get any younger.”

 

“We’re seventeen, Bang.”

 

“If I continue like this, I won’t have a relationship when I’m twenty-seven. Trust me, Mia. I know what I’m doing. I have the perfect plan!”

 

The perfect plan was a ridiculously easy one but nevertheless seemed interesting enough for Mia to join in. (Jongdae wanted to help too but knowing the guy’s mischievous nature the only task they’ve entrusted him was guarding their table until the plan is going on.)

 

And what was that plan exactly?

 

Unlike his unusually good looks, Chanyeol was a very simple guy with very regular and easy-to-follow schedule. He came to school ten minutes before the first lesson. After first lesson, went to the vending machine on the floor of his classroom and bought a grape soda. Not orange, grape. When lunch break arrived, he went to the field to play basketball and scored seventy-three points. Not seventy-two or seventy-four, seventy-three points. Then he got hungry and went to the cafeteria. He always brought lunch from home and always gave all the shrimp from his plate to his friends because he has hated shrimp. Finishing up his afternoon classes, he waited by the school gate. The love of his life- I mean a pretty but mean girl from another class called Jung Soojung joined him and they went home together.

 

Obviously the operation had to be done before the last point of the timeline. Nami was sure she’ll fail if Soojung gets just one mile closer to them. Chanyeol is handsome but naïve enough to get fooled by some nice looks.

 

The chosen time for action was the few minutes while Chanyeol was walking from the school field to the cafeteria. His friends usually waited for him there inside and Soojung… well, all the while Nami and Mia were stalking- I mean observing the guy she hasn’t turned up once. She was the last thing which mattered at the moment or any time, anyway.

 

Nami was waiting in the hall anxiously. Mia was hiding behind a pillar to announce if Prince Charming has arrived and to have a witness.

 

Hi, Chanyeol. I’m Nami, the former practiced in her head eagerly. We’re going to the same class but I don’t know a lot about you. Why don’t we go out to somewhere nice and befriend each other? You’re a really nice guy and –

 

Okay, that’s lame. She’s lame. What kind of a proposal is that? “Why don’t we go out to somewhere nice?” “You’re a really nice guy?” She has to come up with something better or else Chanyeol considers her as a weirdo once again.

 

Nami was thinking to have another solution but a dying whale sound got through the hall.

 

Chanyeol abruptly stopped hearing the noise. Nami swore to pull on Mia’s cinnamon buns for good measure. Where is the hungry hippo she was talking about?!

 

“Hi Chanyeol oppa!”

 

“Oh… Hi Nami.”

 

He knows my name, the girl thought dreamily. One thing for sure, this was a good start…

 

“You’re going to the cafeteria?”

 

“Yeah. It’s lunch break after all.”

 

… too bad it couldn’t last long.

 

“Right.” She giggled, trying hard to be cute this time. “Actually I was going there too but now that we’ve met… There’s something I’d like to ask you.”

 

Chanyeol looked surprised but nodded.

 

“Sure. Go ahead.”

 

Nami gulped. Why was she feeling so nervous suddenly? Five seconds ago she was perfectly fine. Now she can’t even tell if she’s a she or a he. Come on. Think of something, Bang Nami. This is the chance you were waiting for!

 

“Well… I-I was thinking… if maybe you could –“

 

“Oppa, were you waiting for me?”

 

Soojung approached them bravely. Her long, black hair was swinging in the air after her, her beautiful face showed a beautiful smile… Here goes Nami’s confidence.

 

“Um, yeah?” Chanyeol responded with a smile. “I was just talking with Nami to pass the time.”

 

Hearing another girl’s name coming from his mouth, Soojung looked at the other. She looked less pretty with the glare she was sporting and the menacing tone she used on Nami next:

 

“Nami? Doesn’t ring a bell. Have we met?”

 

I’ve been sitting behind you for three years in middle school, you witch, Nami exclaimed angrily in her head. They were even paired up for a project once during Home Economics. Nami visited Soojung’s house and has made the cake while the taller girl was sipping coffee all afternoon like some royalty, doing nothing.

 

“Not like it would matter.” Soojung shrugged and grabbed Chanyeol’s arm, changing back from witch to princess attitude. “Why don’t we go to the cafeteria, oppa? I’ve made a bento for you.”

 

“O-of course.”

 

Nami watched devastated as the pair started to walk towards the cafeteria arm in arm. Chanyeol turned back by the door.

 

“Wait. You’ve wanted to say something, right? What was it?”

 

She just swatted.

 

“It’s not that important. Have a nice meal and see you in class!”

 

 

* * *

 

“How does she have all his attention?”

 

Mia looked at her friend questioningly. They were walking home after a long day of classes.

 

“Well, technically she doesn’t. Chanyeol is the captain of the basketball team, president of the student council and teaches guitar to elemantary schoolers twice a week, he’s really busy –“

 

“You know what I mean.” Nami whined, stopping in the tracks bitterly. “Whenever Soojung is around, it’s like everybody else becomes invisible for him.”

 

“Do you really want to go there, girl?”

 

Getting nothing else but silence as an answer, Mia sighed.

 

“For starters, she’s pretty.”

 

“I know that. Next.”

 

“She’s rich.”

 

True. Soojung is the daughter of a CEO. Her father earns millions a week and probably never has to ask his daughter for money… or food. And never lies or tricks her. And he doesn’t disappear from time to time.

 

“Money… money doesn’t have anything to do with this.” Nami exclaimed. “Maybe I’m not that well off but I could be next to Chanyeol. I could be good to him. I could love him better than Princess Laziness Jung Soojung!”

 

“You might. But at the end it all depends on him.” Mia said. “Chanyeol’s the one who chooses. You could be a goddess and he could still go to Soojung if he wanted.”

 

True. Once again. Nami sometimes hated how smart her friend was. This was one of those times.

 

Mia put an arm around her friend’s shoulders, seeing her down of a mood.

 

“Hey, you’ve tried. That’s a big achievement alone, be proud. Now you know Chanyeol is willing to listen to you. Next time you stand in front of him, you have one thing less to worry about.”

 

Nami smiled.

 

“Yes. I did it… Can you believe it? After crushing on him since first grade I’ve actually gathered up the courage to decide to ask him out! He saw me without embarrassing myself! I did it! Yoo-hoo!”

 

They went down the street laughing.

 

Mia was living at another part of the town. When they’ve reached the crossroad, she grinned.

 

“See you tomorrow, Bang!” Be a good girl and do your homework.”

 

“Yeah, see you tomorrow!”

 

Nami arrived home in a better mood. She pulled off her shoes and went to the kitchen to prepare some food for Dad. Wherever he went the day, he’ll surely be hungry once he arrives back.

 

She was about to cook some rice when her gaze fell upon a note on the table. Suspicious. Dad never writes a note unless…

 

Please, God, don’t let it be another notice for loan sharks, Nami prayed before lifting the paper up. The last group of them was pretty tough. If she doesn’t have the pan in her hands, she’d be beaten to death by now. Or kidnapped to be switched for money. Anyway, she can’t be that lucky again.

 

Her prayers didn’t work out. Actually, they laughed her in the face.

 

Hi baby,
Dad is running away. Probably won’t come back for a while. House is sold to cover all the loans. Buyers come tomorrow. Live a great life without me:

Dad

 

This had to be a joke… except that it was very real.

 

Nami went to the hall for the phone… but she realized they don’t have a phone anymore. They had to sell it to save their lives. As well as the car. And the precious TV and comfy couch. (And this list could go on and on so we stop here for the better.)

 

Reaching dad was out of reach. Ridiculous.

 

Nevertheless, she had to do something. Nami made a meal for herself and while munching, had come up with a plan.

 

She’ll leave. No matter how hard she’s begging the new inhabitants, knowing dad and his care for things like this, he had probably sold the house to some cruel mafia head. She could offer to clean the house for them for ten years and she still couldn’t gain back the ownership.

 

She just leaves and searches for a job. She can cook, clean, sew and bake. She’s not picky about payment. If she can afford rice and water she’s totally satisfied. There has to be some kind soul in the city who’s willing to employ her and give a roof above her head until she can pay the rent. Nami was positive when she packed her things (she finished quickly since there wasn’t a lot) and left the house. Things will work out. They’ve managed to all the while.

 

Three hours later, deep in the night, wandering around in a foreign park, she felt desperate and hopeless.

 

“Dad, why do you have to do this to me?” She wailed angrily sitting on a bench, tired and sweaty. The old man didn’t even leave some money at home to pay for a bus ticket so she had to walk around. “I’ve been taking care of you! Without a word of complaint! I’ve washed your stinking socks! Disposed of your mass of empty beer bottles! Brought you porridge when you were sick and fought hundreds of demons from hell to stay alive! You have no right to do this!”

 

By the tenth minute of screaming her voice grew tired. She silenced to relax her sore throat. At least she got it off of her chest, right?

 

“Help me~”

 

The voice came from close. Nami stood up and ran to the source.

 

Up on a tree a man was holding on for dear life. Under the tree a dog was barking angrily.

 

“Help, he’s frightening me!”

 

Nami approached the dog and reached her hand out. The animal barked in a happy tone and put its head into her palms obediently. It wasn’t dangerous at all.

 

“You can come down, ahjusshi. It’s totally harm –“

 

“Take him away, please? I won’t come down until he’s out of the park.”

 

Nami called the dog and led him to the entrance. The dog her hand then disappeared into an alley.

 

When she arrived back to the tree, the man was on the ground and dusting off his coat.

 

“Phew, that was close. If you don’t find me, I spend the day up on that tree.”

 

“You’re that afraid of animals?”

 

“Just dogs. They’re different.” The man scrunched his nose up then broke into a friendly smile. “Who are you pretty girl and what are you doing outside this late?”

 

Nami told everything, from the beginning to the end. The man – Junmyeon, as he introduced himself - was a good listener. He didn’t say a word until she was finished with her speech.

 

“So you’re all alone without a home?”

 

“Pretty much… I’ll figure out something though.” She reassured him with a bitter smile. “I’ve been managing myself for years. This is just another challenge I have to take. Life is not a piece of cake… It’s not the first time Dad disappears. I’ll be fine.”

 

Junmyeon eyed the girl next to him pondering.

 

“Do you want a home?”

 

What kind of a question was that?”

 

“Of course?” Nami responded confused. “I mean, I don’t have anywhere to sleep and thank you but I’m not willing to sleep outside when all those hitmen are free and ready to kill- Hey, what are you doing?”

 

Before she could process, the man entered her personal space and lightly kissed her forehead.

 

“You’ll never be alone from now on, Nami.”

 

When she recovered from the shock (holy crap, was she molested just right now), Junmyeon was nowhere to be seen. All left of him were the lingering warmth on her forehead and a paper with some doodling in her lap.

 

“What the hell was this… And how did he know my name?!” She whispered amazed then faceplamed. “Nice, now I’m speaking to myself… Wait, is this an address?”

 

It indeed was. The badly drawn map on the paper was even familiar. Well, the ahjusshi was nice. Maybe too nice (the forehead kiss was borderline creepy actually) but hey, this is an emergency, she can’t be picky. She had packed the lifesaving pan too. If other habitants of the place won’t be welcoming, she can just knock them down as well.

 

Nami became a bit doubtful as she arrived to the house twenty minutes later. Because it wasn’t a house… it was a temple.

 

Is he saying to me with this that I should pray for a home, she pondered while walking up the long row of stairs leading to the sanctuary. I’ve prayed four hours ago and it didn’t work, mind you.

 

The temple was scary and dark and abandoned… but it was big and free. Nami knew this kind of positivity is getting sick but hey, even if the monks chase her away tomorrow, tonight she has a place to sleep! Yay!

 

She took a deep breath and reached for the handle. If she’s lucky, she can slip in and hide somewhere for a light sleep and she only has to face consequences tomorrow. If she’s not so she might have to fight a group of monks… But maybe they’ll be welcoming. They’re monks. Being kind is in their nature. And if not, you know what - good ol’ pan is still at bay.

 

Who would have known that anything but monks will be inside?

 

First all her see was the dark. Not even a torch of light was hanging around somewhere. Good sign, monks asleep… wait, that’s not a monk.

 

In a shady corner, Nami noticed a lounging figure.

 

“Who are you and how dare you set foot in a sacred place?”

 

If he tried to sound intimidating, he failed. The voice was pleasant, really smooth and damn, totally hot.

 

“I came with an invitation?”

 

Nami startled when the next second the person was standing directly in front of her, their noses almost touching.

 

“Give me a proof, human.”

 

It was a boy. A really-really handsome one. Nice forehead, dainty nose, chiseled jaw, fine mouth… Nami was at awe, gaping like a fish.

 

Whoa. What a flower boy.

 

Upon further inspection, something was out of place though. Many things actually. Like the ears, cat-like ears atop his head, the lush tail swishing behind him and the foreign color of his eyes.

 

He was either a very good cosplayer… or a real-life catboy. Whatever ridiculous that sounded.

 

“Are you mute?”

 

“No.” She answered, stepping back a little. Whatever he was (however gorgeous he was), some distance was needed.

 

“Then give me a good reason why I shouldn’t kill you.”

 

Okay, things were taking a strange turn.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re not supposed to be here. It’s not visiting hours and this far no living creature is allowed to enter.” He explained nonchalantly. “I haven’t shed blood in a long time. I kind of miss the feeling.”

 

Nami took another step back as the boy started to come closer. Shedding blood? For real? Where is that pan when it has to be used –

 

“Sehun, stop! She’s our new master.”

 

Next to the strange boy (assumed to be Sehun) two smaller figures appeared. They were both wearing masks. The one on the right had a grumpy expression painted on it. The one on the left looked cheerful with the smiling face on the mask. He was the one saying the sentence above too.

 

“She’s what?”

 

“She has the mark on her forehead.” Grumpy-Face said rather nonchalantly. “It seems like Master Suho passed it on to her.”

 

Nami successfully tripped in a salient piece of wood she hasn’t seen and fell on her in shock.

 

“I-I have no idea what you’re talking about… or who are you.”

 

The buy crunched down to her level and putting away her bangs, tapped her forehead.

 

“What is this? You’re indeed marked, woman.”

 

The closeness was enough to make Nami baffled but the words… Marked? Wait a minute. That ahjusshi had kissed her forehead. Did that leave a mark?!

 

Anyway, she had to come forward with the information.

 

“I’ve met a certain Junmyeon-ssi not long ago. He gave me this map.” She reached into the pocket of her coat and showed up the crumbled piece of paper.

 

The boy took it and skimmed it through.

 

“That’s him! Our master!” Smiley-Face cheered. “I mean, nevermind! You’re our master now, lady. We finally have a master again!”

 

“Hip-hip-hooray.” Grumpy-Face exclaimed less enthusiastic. “We have to function as a shrine again. Receive believers, clean thoroughly, probably also getting into a mass of trouble…”

 

“Ya, Kyungsoo. Be a bit more positive. Our family is whole again!”

 

“I’ve been feeling pretty whole before I’ve met you all.”

 

“You take that back!”

 

Nami sat on the side frozen. What the actual heck was going on?! Is she maybe… dreaming? No, this feels too real for that. And come on, nowadays all she dreams is Chanyeol in this and that dating scenario. Dreaming about catboys and masked goblins is very anime. And so not her.

 

But if this is real, then what is this?

 

“Um, excuse me.” She spoke up once the two masks finished arguing. “I’m not a master. My name is Bang Nami and –“

 

Smiley-Face shook his little head.

 

“You’re our master. And the land god of this shrine… or goddess. Since you’re a female.”

 

A what? Land god?”

 

“There has to be a misunderstanding. As I mentioned I’m Bang Nami, a perfectly human high school student. I’ve just come to this temple to have a place to sleep for the night.”

 

“That must have been your intention but you have the mark, the blessing of the previous land god of this shrine, Suho, or as he’s called in the human world, Junmyeon.” The boy pulled a face, elegant hand holding up the paper. “This horrible excuse of a map is obviously made by him. He’s made you the new god of this shrine.”

 

The kiss, the map… Junmyeon knew she’s just become homeless. This is his real way of helping her? Making her a goddess?

 

“Is this real?”

 

All three strangers looked at Nami dumbfounded.

 

“I mean, I’m a god now? And that makes you… my slaves?”

 

The boy killed her with his glare.

 

“Say that again and you won’t live by tomorrow.”

 

“We’re your attendants. We’re Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.” Smiley-Face introduced himself and his contrast. “He’s over there Sehun, you’re familiar. We’re all here to serve you and help you run this shrine, Lady Goddess.”

 

Nami furrowed her eyebrows. This was getting straight up bat crazy stuff.

 

“Tsk, if I would serve her.” Sehun snorted, crunching down again to take a better look at her face. “What could she be good for? So fragile and stupid. I’m not participating in this.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

Kyungsoo’s question was answered by Sehun’s retreating form. Blue flames framed his path to the darkness as he slowly faded away.

 

“I’m going to enjoy my freedom.” He spoke before leaving completely. “Since Suho is not here, my job is over as well. Good luck finding another helper to your side, woman.”

 

Nami blinked as the spot where once the handsome but rude boy was standing was now empty. He dissipated?

 

“Oh my, what do we do now?” Baekhyun panicked. “Master Suho is gone. Sehun is gone…”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged.

 

“We have the shrine god you’ve wanted. Cope with that.”

 

“Right… so, is there anything you want, Lady Goddess or Master Nami? Can we call you like that? Do you like octopus? Or a good snake soup? What can we offer you?”

 

“Well… what about a bed?”

 

“We’ll set up a place to sleep for you in a moment, master.”

 

This was weird, unusual… and very otherworldly, as Nami has seen it but hey, she wasn’t chased away. That Sehun hottie surely didn’t take a liking to her but the feeling was mutual. He was rude, has threatened her life twice and called her stupid. He can go and have his freedom as far as he wants.

 

For now, she’s had a secluded place to sleep and hid from the world. It's enough if she focuses on this now. When tomorrow comes, she can go and look for another type of accommodation.

 

 


 

A/N: Here we go with the beginning of things! I declare I have nothing against f(x) Krystal. And sorry if my kind of humor and parody haven't reached you yet. If you're willing to see how I manage to write this storyline, subscribe and see! Next chapter comes according to feedback~