More to the Story

Lost Love - Kai

Padding down the hallway, Kristie moved to the last door at the end of the hallway. Slowly twisting the door handle open, she looked inside before stepping foot inside. The room was simple and plain, yet kept up and charming none the less. Closing the door, she moved to the next door down the hallway, the door scraped across the floor as she pulled open the door.

The room behind this door was far different. There was a painting hanging over the head of a double bed, some of the artifacts that hinted to the ones downstairs caught her attention. Entering the room, she thoroughly looked over the books in the shelf and the little trinkets on the desk and bed.

A beautiful necklace rested on the nightstand next to the bed with a letter underneath. Tilting her head to one side, she recognized the writing on the card as being American Indian. Freezing, she recognized the name as her friend’s, Suka’s.

“Did you find something?” A voice came from the doorway, jumping from the voice, you spun around thankful and slightly relieved to see Eric standing in the doorway.

“I-I did…” You stepped away from the letter and necklace as Eric slowly approached. “Did you find anything?” She questioned

“No, the bedrooms were gutted” He tilted his head, reading the letters on the note as you did a few moments ago. “This is American Indian.. isn’t it?”

“It is… you know who also was American Indian?” Kristie questioned as Eric’s eyes widened, lifting up to hers.

“Kai” They whispered in unison, the sun lightening up the room slowly as a warm feeling swept over them.

“Do you think it is time for us to brink Suka here?” Kristie questioned, her eyes wondering around the rest of the room seeing little hints of Suka around the room, memories that she experienced with Kai.

“Let me ask” Eric whispered as he rubbed her back before he closed his eyes and tried to speak with the paranormal being.

“It wouldn’t hurt” She whispered as Eric’s question came back unanswered again.

“We will be back within a few days with Suka” Eric nodded, warning the spirit before leaving the room the way they found it and making their peaceful leave.

Keeping to their promise they were back on the property within a few days. Suka riding in the backseat of Kristie’s truck.

“D-Do you think it is him?” Suka gazed out the window, her hands nervously playing with one another in her lap.

“We have no reason to believe it isn’t” Eric turned back to her. Kristie pulled up into the driveway. Suka’s chest tightened as the memories came flooding back.

Rolling down the driveway, the tire swing hung from the large oak tree. Kai and her shared their first kiss under that tree, their initials carved into the bark with a heart encasing their initials. Suka’s eyes moved to something else, the large rock just on the edge of the trees. Kai and her would sit there and gaze up at the stars, making wishes on shooting stars and promises to each other.

Tears began to sting her eyes as Suka moved her eyes down back to her hands as Kristie parked her truck in the spot where it was a few days ago. Everyone exited the truck, Suka looked over at the house, the front porch where Kai would wait for her before she came out to meet him. The window on the second story, her bedroom, where she would watch Kai slowly walk down the long driveway retreating back to his home for the night.

“Is everything okay?” Kristie questioned, her hand resting on the back of her best friend, Suka.

“Just a lot of memories” Suka whispered before slowly walking up to the house. Raking in a slow breath, she stepped inside, Eric and Kristie following behind her.

“This place sure has changed” Suka sighed, her fingertips brushing over some of the shelves on the wall.

“Feel free to look around, let us know if you need any help” Eric smiled as Kristie nodded, adding her help to his.

“Thank you guys” Suka smiled back at them before she began to walk about the house.

The house grew quiet, only Suka’s footsteps were heard while she moved about the kitchen, to the living room, sitting room then to the dining room. Sun rays hit the beautiful glass case, highlighting the memorabilia that remained inside.

Suka’s chest began to tighten, her heart skipping a beat as her eyes moved over the memories between the window panes. The bark that they wrote their initials on, leaned up against one of the walls, her favorite flower looked freshly cut as well as some of her jewelry decorated the inside. A few favorite books of hers leaned on their sides as memories flooded back that she had reading them with Kai.

A warmed tear rolled down her face as she turned away from the display. Trying to get a hold of herself, she slowly took one last look before moving upstairs. Heading towards her room, the second door from the end on the right, she pushed open the door. The bottom of the door scraped the wood floor below.

“This can’t be…” She remarked to herself, her room immaculate, tidier than the way she left it.

Suka’s favorite books lining the shelves, her blanket that Kai gifted to her folded on the foot of the bed, her favorite stuffed animal sitting atop her bed as well. Moving around the room, pictures of the two of them stood up in frames, her emotions overwhelming her being.

Shuffling her feet across the floor, she sat on her bed, taking all of this in. Having to remind herself that he true love had been gone for years, she tried to blink away tears.

I’m still with you

Those words impressed onto her as she closed her eyes, tears dropping from her eyes while a few others rolled down her cheeks. Lifting her eyes after a few moments, her eyes caught on the necklace and note underneath.

Picking up the necklace first, she recognized that it was the one that they had bought together, but after that night she never saw it again due to the fact that he died two days later in a drunk driver accident. The necklace slightly bunched up in one of her hands as she reached out with her other one, grasping the note and pulling it over to her.

Reading her name across the front in American Indian, a sad smile pulled onto her lips, a few more tears rolling down her cheeks as she turned over the envelope. Pulling open the flap, she pulled out a handwritten note.

Opening the note, her eyes went to the date that it was written, her eyes widened discovering that it was written two days after he died. Her eyes moved slowly over to her name written at the top left of the note, his handwriting so lively, so beautiful, just like she remembered.

With tears streaming down her face, she read the note to the end, as it stated memories and moments that the two of them shared together. His perspective of her and the love he holds for Suka.

Reaching the end of the letter, her eyes followed his signature with the three words written underneath.

“I love you” A voice spoke as her eyes read over the exact words.

Lifting her head shakily, her eyes turned towards the origin of the voice, more tears ran down her face as she saw the one man that held her heart, the one and only love of her life. Kai.

“Hello Gorgeous” Kai stood there in your favorite outfit, his wings folded behind him as he slowly approached her. His beautiful eyes bore into hers, reading Suka’s beautiful eyes like he would when he was alive.

“K-K-Kai” Suka stammered from her shaking and tear soaked voice.

“It’s me, sweetheart” Kai slowly knelt in front of her, his gaze so kind and loving as ever.

Cautiously, she reached out, retracting her hand once from him. Nodding his head that it was okay, she brushed the backs of her fingers across his skin slowly.

“It’s you” She breathed, her breath hitching, his head gently nodded as a breathtaking smile pulled on either side of his lips.

“It’s me” He whispered, his hand gently rested on her leg as she set aside the note and necklace on the bed.

Not wasting any time, her arms encased his shoulders, her body pressed against him while his arms slowly wrapped around her. His wings slowly spreading around the two of them as she pressed her ear against his chest. Hearing the all too familiar heartbeat, she broke down in his arms. Her fingers grasped his shirt as she continued to hold onto him.

“I-I-I-I-I m-m-m-missed… y-y-y-you” She sobbed into  his shirt.

“I missed you too, babe” He whispered, kissing the crown of your head, letting a tear or two roll down his face as his arms tightened around you. Letting you listen to his heart beat with love meant for you and only you.

However far away, I will always love you
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you

Your true love,
Kai