The Chase

The Chase

Running fast down the dark alleyway, bare feet slapping hard against the cold wet stone of the ground below, Kazu couldn't stop the tears that ran down his pale cheeks.

The figure just two steps ahead in the distance not slowing down to let him catch up nor turning to face him, all he could do was chase the other and hope he caught up.

His right arm extended, fingers mere inches from the form before him, it seemed as if the whole world had begun to run in slow motion. The scenery all around passing at a snails pace, the cold puffs of air escaping his mouth, hanging in the cold night air for a few seconds before ghosting off into the darkness behind him as his body raced forth.

His heart was pounding in his chest with every footfall on the road before him. His windswept hair, falling into his eyes momentarily as he rounded a corner still following the dark angel into yet another dank, cold alley.

"Please stop"

Even to his own ears, his voice sounded, slowed, long drawn out and winded.

He needed to stop, needed a break.

It wasn't for tiredness. He wasn't giving up the chase. If it took forever, he would never stop.

He just wanted a moment. A moment to pause, to look around, gather his bearings. He just realized he had no idea where they were. Usually their surroundings were familiar but not tonight.

Tonight it wasn't home. Wasn't somewhere he wanted to be.

If it weren't for the other person, he wouldn't even be here.

As scary as it was, he kept going. Forcing his legs to push on.

Pushing his small framed body to its limit.

Realizing how pointless it would be to call out again, he put his head down and ran harder than ever before but the more he did that, the further he seemed to drift from the figure.

It was like trudging through mud.

Try as he might, he never seemed to get anywhere.

Just as he had about given up, the other turned to face him.

This had never happened before.

It had always been about the chase.

Kazu lifted his eyes to look up into the hooded figures dark features but saw nothing.

It was too dark and the hood was too large for him to see a face.

"Please"

He begged but was cut off as a slim, tanned hand was raised before his face, delicate fingers encased in a fist, index finger pushed softly against his lips.

The figure raised its head slightly.

The light from a nearby lampost illuminating the lower half of the others face. A full, white smile spread across the mans mouth.

"Let go"

Voice of silk, dark and intriguing wrapping around Kazu as the figure spoke.

He knew that voice.

Loved that voice.

"I can't"

Tears stung his eyes, his voice a mere whisper.

He wanted the pain to stop. To go away.

He wanted him to stay. Needed him to.

It was futile as the figure turned and slowly disappeared into the darkness.

Arms wrapping around his own body, offering the smallest comfort as Kazu wept.

Howling into the night.

Animalistic cries tore from his throat. He couldn't stop them.

Didn't want to.

No one would hear him.

He was alone.

Forever.