Ch.01

Lunch Period
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy stares at her lunch. Rice with kimchi soup and kimchi. "This whole country's made out of kimchi." Wendy absolutely detests kimchi, she hates spicy foods and has eaten kimchi so many times, everything is starting to taste like it. If this was Canada, Wendy would be sitting with her lovely ham sandwich packed by her mother, chewing away as she talks with her friends about how she probably failed that English quiz.

But right now, she has an unappetizing kimchi lunch in front of her. She's sitting with no one near her and she definitely passed that English quiz (who even gives a quiz on the first day of school?) because she's probably the only one in her class who actually understands those questions. Wendy blames her parents for sending her to this goddamn kimchi haven.

"This is the last time we're moving, honey. I promise. Your dad has a good job now, we'll be in Korea until you graduate then you can decide to go and stay anywhere you want! Just try to adapt a little, okay honey? You'll get used to it right away! I'm sure you'll make tons of friends"

Wendy doesn't believe any of that beause her mother says that exact same thing every single time they've moved. But she deals with it because she knows her parents are only doing what they think is best for all of them. That and because her parents promised to buy her a new car when she graduates high school.

...

Today's lunch is to celebrate the school's 30th year anniversary. They're serving special treats like cupcakes and ice cream but the main meal is kimchi with rice and kimchi pancake. Wendy is about to throw her lunch out the window.

...

"Thank god it's friday." Wendy wants this day over so she can stay up and call her old friends back in Canada (damn timezones). It's been five days and Wendy has made zero friends. She wonders if it's because of her red hair and considers dying it black. 

Her train of thought is cut loose when she sees a shadow approaching. Of course, it's not a very threatening shadow. From the looks of it, it seems to be a slender and petite girl and Wendy looks up to confirm it. She's right. Straight black hair, a plain peach blouse with white pants, and probably the most beautiful face that Wendy has ever seen in her life.

"You don't mind if I sit here, right?" Wendy is speechless and is struggling to form any kind of sentence as the girl nodds in her own approval and takes a seat across from her. There isn't any conversation between them, the girl just eats and Wendy is left utterly confused.

...

It's the weekend and Wendy's sleeping in as always. 9AM but she doesn't care whatsoever, even though her mom is screaming at her to get the door. Goddammit, she's downstairs. Why can't she open the door herself? There's no point in complaining with her mom anyway so she pulls the blanket off and rushes down to greet the very unwelcomed visitor. The door opens and she finds a small girl staring back at her.

"Hey, I'm Yeri. I'm your neighbor and I just wanted to welcome you here." A bright smile is plastered on Yeri's face as she reaches out for a handshake.

"Thanks..." It's a little late for a welcome greeting honestly, it's been two weeks since they've already settled into their new house. But Wendy is kind and decided to shake Yeri's hand and there's a bit of silence for a while.

"Well, I'll get going then. See you next time"

Yeri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter