Memories

Memories

 

The last four days have been pretty rough. Taehyun have not known a proper night of sleep because of the three consecutive major operations that they had and not to mention the pile of paper works that he still need to accomplish before this week ends. He’s also wondering how he survived this toxic work for two years considering the substandard pay that he’s receiving every end of the month. Sometimes he just want to quit nursing and checking up how his patients are recovering each day, to stop holding syringes that makes the kids bawling on their parents’ laps and just stay home, listen to sappy songs all day and appreciate the humming birds outside his dinky apartment but reality hits him hard always whenever he tries to escape from it because he has no one to feed him, he needs to work his off to feed himself and pay the debt that he inherited from his father. He checked his worn-out watch, he sighed.  “I should go home and rest.”

Taehyun stood up from the nurse station and informed the next nurse on shift regarding the patients’ condition and schedule of laboratory and medical checkups. After several minutes of endorsing patients he approached his locker, which blended right in to the walls’ depressing shade of grey, he sighed and ran his fingers across the dull surface of the locker.

 

27….40…. His fingers fumbled over the cold lock and his locker popped open. Taehyun didn’t bother changing into a casual clothing, he carefully took off the stethoscope curled on his neck and slowly grabbed his fur coat and walked down to the main lobby of the hospital. His eyes are so heavy and his knees are wobbling but he managed to get on the elevator and pressed “G”. The staff greeted him as he walks out but Taehyun just offered a slight bow and continued walking through the lobby.

 

It’s already past 6 PM and the cool breeze of February welcomed Taehyun as the automatic glass door of the building propped open and visible cold dry fog stormed his face as he opened his mouth. Today is a wintry day but surprisingly he can see many people walking and enjoying the season with the nipping air of Seoul.

 

“What’s going on?” He thought to himself. Taehyun put his hands on the side pocket of his coat and warm temperature burst through his whole system as he touch the heat pack that he brought during this winter season and boringly bestowed one last look on the hospital before heading home.

 

Do I still love what I’m doing?

 

He walked until he’s completely out of hospital’s perimeter and heads on to the bus stop while fighting the algid air, then there was a group of high school girls walked pass on Taehyun and he overheard them saying,

 

“I plan on making white chocolates for him”

 

“Me, I’ll just give him a bear and scribble him some letters”

 

“*squeaking* Right! And maybe I’ll confess to him on d-day”

 

 

Taehyun checked his phone calendar and learned that Valentine’s Day is just two days to go, he sneered “Why people are being eager beaver now?” He asked to no one in particular. Taehyun continued walking, heads down and drifting to another side by thinking things like how he’s going to budget his weekly meal and how much will be left on his bank account after paying bills and credits and if gratuitous happenings like his salary is short because of unnecessary deductions on his wage, what excuses will he tell to the loan sharks? Those things are pooling his mind right now that he seemed utterly incognizant of his surroundings that he bumped into a hard surface.

 

Ouch!

Taehyun rubbed his forehead due to the insisting pain brought by the- wall? No wait.

 

He looks up and saw a towering man with a dilated eyes and blood rushed to his face making him all red. He backed away when he immediately realized what just happened, Taehyun muttered a quick sorry and fled to save himself from further embarrassment.

 

He keeps up ‘til he finally arrived on to the bus stop and sat on the empty seat and silently waits for the bus trying to keep himself under control after that embarrassing moment. The city is agog over the upcoming Valentine’s Day and Taehyun just noticed the left and right season sale of every neighboring mall and restaurants giving out coupons for couples and family. And as Taehyun wander his eyes on the busy street of Seoul his eyes caught something, a family. A sudden pang of sadness rushed through his veins and fills his empty heart as he saw the father and the mother holding their child’s hands to keep the kiddo warm and safe across the street, they seem so happy and complete.

 

“Taehyunnie!”

“Neh omma?”

“Come let’s get dress because your father will take us out for dinner.”

Little Nam Taehyun was stoked upon hearing his mum and immediately ran to his room for a quick change.

“Uh omma can I wear this?”

“Of course you can that’s your favourite shirt” It is still vivid on his memory but he shrugged off the feeling and as he motioned his head to his right Taehyun saw a couple just meter away from him and they’re  both enjoying their shared ramen and having their loveliest conversation while holding each other’s hands. He didn’t know how long he’s been staring at them that he didn’t realized there’s already a man sitting on the far edge of the seat holding a giant paper bag. He looked at him and damn he looks familiar.

He secretly bestowed another look at the guy. He really looks familiar.

……..

…………

…………….

“ he’s the same man I bumped into with a while ago” he muttered. The stranger looked at where he is sitting and Taehyun quickly rambled his eyes on the road and covered his face a little not making himself known. He tried with his mighty power to keep his eyes straight to the street and avoiding any eye contact to the stranger. He is fidgeting. Taehyun is clueless as to why he’s acting like this but he know for sure that what happened a while ago was really embarrassing. He fished for his phone and fake call a friend.

“Oh Jonghyun hyung! I’m on my way and I’ll bring some beers.” He lied even though he’s not going to buy beers nor he has a friend named Jonghyun. His feet are tapping the ground with accordance to his fingers on his lap. He checks the guy. He’s still there.

“HAHAHAHA. Yes hyung of course” He fake laughed, damn this is stupid and immediately wants to end his foolishness because of what he is doing he will be recognize. He just realized it late. Fortunately, the stranger got on his feet and walks away. He put down his phone and heaved down a deep sigh, phew!

“Thanks goodness I’m not good at this” The bus he’s been waiting for pulled over. He stood up and walks a mere inches to the bus when his eyes caught something gleaming on the seat where the stranger sat on minutes ago. Before getting on the bus he snappily walks to the man’s seat and grabbed the cold thing. He meticulously held it between his forefinger and thumb, it is a beautiful silver bracelet with gold accents. He looked at the direction of where the man walked on to but he can’t see his shadows anymore. A loud beep startled Taehyun up “Are you getting in or not?” The bus driver shouted and he was left with no choice but to keep the bracelet for now and hop on the bus.

 

I hope to meet you again so I can bring this back to you.

 

Taehyun took the window seat on the left side of the bus and slumped his body weight on the seat and wait for the next bus stop as he took a nap.

 

“Taehyunnie what do you want for dinner?”

“mmm…seaweed soup?”

 “But we already have that last night?”

“But I want it” Little Taehyun pouted.

“Okay okay we’ll have seaweed soup for dinner but don’t blame me if your father rants for having the same dinner for two nights in a row?” Her mom released a soft chuckle showing her ageless beauty.

“Bam!” A loud colliding car bumpers can be heard nearby. Taehyun blinks his eyes slowly, trying to clear his vision to figure out where he is. “Was that a dream?” He whispered to himself. He looked out on the window and saw two cars badly crushed the bus dashed off limiting curious passengers to see more of the commotion. Minutes after he saw the familiar café indicating he’s near to the stop.

 

It’s ironic how emptiness feels so heavy…

 

Taehyun got off the bus and walk through the same old boring street to his apartment and as he reached home the usual dark and hollow room welcomed him. The apartment is in beige color and small enough for Taehyun’s belongings like a single bed, a tallboy and a small worktable to fit in. His room smells of vanilla mixed with scent of wood that gives comfort and rest to his whole system. And on the wall you can see portraits of animals that belongs to the previous tenant and random scribbles on the wall that Taehyun can’t explain just like his life. All the rest on his room are shabby but there’s one thing in his apartment that looks precious than the most big-ticket things in the world. A picture frame hanging on top of his bed. It is a picture of a beautiful woman holding her 6-year-old son on her lap and a tall man beside her. Taehyun slightly brushed his delicate fingers against the surface of the portrait as it leaves hefty feelings on his heart.

“Hey son how’s school?”

“I think my classmates hate me papa”

“Why do you say so?”

“Because they always tease me that I have an ugly eyebrows” little Nam Taehyun cried on his father’s shoulders

“Hush now child, don’t mind them okay? Let me tell you have a wonderful eyebrows, yours are unique and trust me that’s your asset” his father patted him on the back and pecked him on cheeks.

“Bu-but why do they bully me if my eyebrows aren’t ugly?”

“Because they don’t have such eyebrows like yours” the mother chirped in.

Taehyun unconsciously touched his eyebrows. Those vivid memories are still lingering on his mind.

The next morning came and Taehyun robotically did all his chores and prepare for his next shift, he grabbed his morning fix on the nearby café and waited for the bus. Today is extra cold that he wore two layers of clothing plus he put on his favourite fur coat. He tucked his hands on the side pockets of his coat and remembers he forgot his heat pack. He will be late if he decides to get back just to get the thing so he just waited for the bus instead. As his fingers are wandering on his pocket he touched something cold and recalled the bracelet last night and fish for it on his pocket, “I wonder if I can still bring this back to you bu-“there’s a long pause before he even say “but then I don’t even know your name to start off with.”

Taehyun arrived at the hospital fifteen minutes before his shift but today for no reason he eagerly start his job. And as a daily routine the previous nurse will pass to him the reports of their assigned patients for today.

“Good morning Taehyun” greeted the old grumpy head nurse. He forced a smile. He never liked her since day 1, she’s so moody he can’t understand her. “Dr. Kim will be doing his rounds later at 10 am make sure you prepare a written report of each patient okay? And one more thing we have a new patient, he’s assigned to you from now on here’s his records.” She handed him a folder with a big “Rm3A” written on it by a thick marker.

“Is the patient...?” Taehyun’s curiosity made him slip in to Rm 3A patient’s record and check if his surmise is correct.

Seoul National Hospital

Patient Name: Song Mino

Gender: M

Age: 24

Findings: In state of profound unconsciousness caused by trauma in brain. Need intensive care.

Physician-in-charge: Steven Kim, PhD

He slides to Rm 3A to check the patient named Song Mino. He knew it that the patient is in coma because every patient put in Rm 3A is seriously ill and that needs intensive care. He opened the door in a poky manner and slowly went in while holding the medical records on his side. He can hear the eerie beeping sound of the medical monitors as he proceeds to the room.

He greeted the patient even though he knows he won’t respond “Good morning Mr. Song Mino“ but what he saw next surprised him. It’s like a cold water were splashed onto him. He turned white. Of course Nam Taehyun knows that feature well because he just bumped into him last night and how will he forget him when that exact face is the face he’s trying not to forget because he still need to bring back his bracelet. Taehyun slapped his face more than once maybe he is just hallucinating but even after series of slaps it is still the same face that he sees. He motioned his feet forward to the stranger, he gulped, his dilated eyes never leaving the patient’s face.

“What happened to you?” a feeble voice broke from his dry thin lips.

Nam Taehyun is still in pure hysteria that he forgot what he has to do. A loud beeping from the monitor startled him and brought him back to normal. He frantically checks his IV fluid and oxygenation. He can’t still believe this, just last night he saw him twice, one on the street and second on the bus stop holding a paper bag and walked down the street of Seoul and now he’s here and comatose. He sat for a while beside him and looked at the stranger “What did you do that made you put into coma huh?” 

 

I don’t know but the last thing I saw is a blinding light and the last thing I heard is a painful thud.

 

 

2 DAYS LATER…

“Good morning Mino-ssi!”

The boy would always come to visit Mino on his room for daily checkup, he is still in coma. Taehyun found out that the reason why the latter was put into that state is that he was hit by a truck but the strange thing here is that he has no physical injuries it just that it damages the part of his brain due to the great collision of his head to the truck but doesn’t need an open surgery but tons of medicines and time to heal the trauma in his brain are needed for him to wake up. Taehyun would always checks on Mino if there’s any changes or improvements. Aside from checking up on him the other reason why Taehyun always come to his room is that he noticed there’s no one paying a visit to Mino except for the one man who came last night, he learned that he is Mino’s co-worker in a delivery services and that Mino is on duty when the accident happened. Taehyun recalled the conversation he had with the man,

“I am here to check on Mino and to inform the hospital that the company will shoulder all his hospital bills until he recovers.”

The guy turned his heels when Taehyun called him

 “Wait Sir!” the guy turned his head

“Yes?” Taehyun took a deep breath before asking

“Sir Do his relatives were informed regarding his state? I don’t intend to interfere but we must get in touch with his guardians to know his background for medical records purposes and no one from his family is visiting him I’m afraid they will be shock if they hear this situation.”

“Oh I’m sorry I forgot about that. Let me fill those papers for them”

“But Sir only relatives are allowed to fill those forms”

The guy is hesitant at first.

“Nurse uh…let me tell you this straight, he don’t have any relatives here anymore they went to a place where Mino would like to be now”

Nam Taehyun was frozen on his spot as the man walks to the elevator and didn’t bother paying a last look on Mino.

 

“I didn’t know you lost your family too Mino-ssi” Taehyun sat for a while beside Mino’s bed. And ever since that day Taehyun would always come to Mino’s room every 10 minutes to check up on him and talk to him. He knew that talking to patient in coma can help one’s recovery and since no one can visit Mino he thought he’ll just do it but he just sat there and stared at his patient’s face. He fights the urge to trace his thick eyebrows and long lashes but his inner self betrayed him, he lightly traced his brows and eyes if not for the oxygen mask he’s wearing he could have touched the tip of nose, he snapped, “What are you doing Nam Taehyun?!” He scolded himself.

There were times also during wee hours instead of taking a nap he would rather go to Rm 3A and talk to Mino about his day and his thoughts regarding certain issues of his life. For the past one week of Mino’s stay in the hospital Taehyun grew fond of him that he even share his problems to the patient lying there motionless. He would sometimes cry if he would share his childhood stories to Mino and laugh whenever he’s sharing something funny about people. Rare moments that Taehyun shows emotions to someone but now that he is finally opening up to someone though that someone don’t have the capability to respond to what he is saying he is quite amused how he is so open to this man considering he is just a stranger to him.

I tried opening my eyes but when I did all I could see is a vast range of green grass and I am alone in this place. I closed my eyes. I’m only dreaming right. I opened again my eyes and now I see a little boy, he is crying. I walked towards the boy but a man approached and tried consoling him, the man handed him a piece of jewelry, it looks familiar I looked at my left wrist and saw that my bracelet is missing.

“It’s my bracelet!” the little boy looked at my direction and it all went black.

Beep beep beep beep.

Lingering beeping sounds clouding my head I can feel something heavy and I can’t move my body, I opened my eyes and I see blank space. I started to get nervous I felt like I am in a simulation and feel suffocated and I don’t want this. Then suddenly a sweet voice started speaking from nowhere I tried tracing the voice and as I go down it gets louder and louder. I keep on walking until I saw a light focusing on a guy whose back is facing mine he is talking, I listened.

“How are you? I hope you wakes up” Is he talking to me right now?

“I didn’t know you lost your family too Mino-ssi…” How does he know? Who is this guy? I ran towards him to catch his face but I can’t seem to reach him. It’s like we’re of the same pole of a magnet the more I strive forward the more he repel.

I heard him talking again this time he’s crying, it brought strange feelings to my heart. I don’t even know this man and yet he managed to make me feel so sad and heavy inside.

“Mino-ssi…”

“Ye-yes?” I don’t know if he heard me

“How can one cope up with life? The world we are living is an unfair world and full of judgmental people. Do you ever felt like there’s no single soul that cares for you?”

He’s crying continuously I extended my hand to pat his shoulders but I can’t reach him. He seems so close yet so far. Something about this boy makes me want to hug and protect him. The boy keeps on sobbing and saying words I can’t quite understand. I try catching up what he’s blabbering about but the sweet sobbing turned into ear-shattering sounds that makes my head so heavy, I feel dizzy and something weird and uncomfortable sensation is forming inside my stomach up to my lungs. My body collapsed and I curled into a ball hugging myself. I feel weak, something inside my brain is aching. “AAAAAAAH” I screamed out of pain. I feel like the nerves in my brain will pop out any minute and the intolerable pain doubled when the boy started screaming my name in my ears I saw his face but it was blurry, and my vision are rotating, I feel nauseated and I am suffocating. My head is like breaking apart, something is grinding inside and I wanna whack my head off with a hammer.

“Mino! Mino-ssi? MINO!!!”

And the last thing I heard before it all went black was- “Please hold on”

 

 

Taehyun was busy fumbling on the keyboard rushing his report when an alarm broke from Rm 3A. A shiver shook him. It is the sound that he least wanted to hear. He immediately ran towards the room and horror painted on his face. The monitor’s annoying alarm keeps on reverberating across the room. The hospital bed is creaking and he saw Mino’s whole body shaking frantically. He can’t think straight he is trained to work under pressure but this is the first time he felt nervous. Taehyun looked at the monitor. He saw his vital signs are dropping and his heartbeat is accelerating and sweating excessively. “Oh my god!” He cupped his hands on his mouth. Mino is having seizures which is very dangerous for his current state, Taehyun inhaled a shallow breath before vigorously clicked the button and hollered for assistance and seconds later two nurses came with a doctor. The doctor swiftly moved to Mino’s side “How can he be seizing?!” the doctor put his hands on the back of his shaking head and slightly lift him up with the help of Taehyun.

“Hold his feet!” The two nurses quickly moved and held his both feet.

“And you Taehyun-ssi please hold his hands” He did what the doctor asked him to do. He firmly hold Mino’s cold hands and pressing it hard enough. Taehyun can’t suppressed his emotions he don’t want to lose this guy they must save him, he still don’t know for sure why he’s been feeling this but all he know is he wants to save his life.

“Please hold on!” His vital signs are quickly dropping. He tightened his grip on Mino’s hands. He is trembling because he is much aware that any second he might zero out.

“Taehyun-ssi prepare defibrillation!” he promptly prepared the defibrillator and handed the paddles to the doctor.

“360 joules!” shouted the doctor

“Clear!” the doctor informed Taehyun before loading shocks to Mino’s chest

Please Mino hold on! Please!!

Taehyun’s heartbeat is in haste when he saw there’s no response from Mino even after the given electric shock, his vital signs are still dropping.

.

“Mino you have to be strong!” the doctor whispered to Mino’s ear before motioning Taehyun to prepare another defibrillation.

“200 Joules! We are clear” Mino’s chest rose as the paddle lose contact of the skin. Taehyun looks at the monitor and heaved a deep sigh when the vital signs went back to normal.

“I thought we’ll be losing him” the doctor sighed. Taehyun felt weak. His knees are wobbling. He looked at Mino, he must have been so tired on the inside too based from his dry lips and pale complexion. “Make sure to double check his BP and oxygenation”

“Yes and thank you Doctor Kim” He reached for the doctor’s hand and shook it like he really owe him big time.

“You really care for the patient huh?” The doctor smiled and with that he went out of the room together with the other two nurses leaving Taehyun who still processing what the doctor had just said.

ONE WEEK LATER…

Taehyun was walking down to his apartment when he felt like someone is following him. He turned his head but to see nothing. As he paced up a strong hand grabbed his thin arm then suddenly a two men in black suits appeared in front of him and blocking him. He stopped on his track, he knew them “Will you remove your hand on mine?” He’s struggling freeing himself from the strong hold but the man is stronger.

“We are here to remind your debt Nam Taehyun!” He saw the taller man fishing for his gun.

“Wh-what do you think are you doing?!” He gulps the gun is bigger than he thought and he can feel the cold muzzle pointing to his stomach but it was gone right after a wailing sirens of police cars roared on the dark alley. The three men ran off and leaving Taehyun behind.

“ my life” he slumped on the street floor and sniffed as he ran down his fingers to his stomach. He can still feel the gun on his skin. Taehyun looked up the sky and begin yelling words that he long to voice out.

“I never signed up for this life! Why are you punishing me? Why me?! What have I done to deserve this? Why didn’t you let that ing gun shoot me so I can die and end this miserable life!” he bawled until he can no longer speak.

The next morning Taehyun went to work carrying all the agony from last night and once he had laid his bag on the locker he works nonstop until the final hour of his shift. Before going home he paid a last look and went to Mino’s room. He sat on the bedside and holds his hands giving it a little pressure for warmth. He stared at his face for several seconds before muttering the words.

“You know for the past one week of you staying in this cold hospital room I can say I became more open which is very unusual for me though I know you never responds to what I am blabbering about but I really want to thank your mere presence for being my confiding buddy. I never find comfort to anyone since I have no one except you Mino-ssi. I hope you wake up soon and get back to your normal life…. And my selfish side is wishing that I-I’m the first person you see when you wakes up but I guess that would be impossible.” Taehyun fished the bracelet from his pocket and lift Mino’s wrist a little to put on the bracelet and brushing the metal against his thumb. He carefully tucked his wrists under the sheets and motioned forward to the latter “Goodbye…” he whispered and leaving a peck on his left cheek.

 

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER…

“Hush now baby girl” Taehyun cooed and handed her a candy making the baby in her mother’s lap stopped crying. He carefully discarded the syringe on the nearest trash bin. He rose up from his seat and curved a smile for she‘s the last patient on line. He finished his work early so he has more time to prepare for his next work. He gathered his things and bid his goodbye to his doctor. Taehyun resigned on the last hospital he is working after paying all the remaining debt to loan sharks and decided to leave the city and move to a remote place. He is now a freelance nurse on a clinic downtown and doing part-time job on a nearby music bar. He is somehow contented with what he has now. He may be not receiving a lot compared to his previous work place at least he is free from debt and he owns his time and can even work on a music bar which he actually like. He walked straight ahead to his home to change. After a couple of minutes Taehyun is ready for his second job. He checked himself on the mirror, ruffling his middle-parted hair a little giving it a fashionable wave and straightening any crease on his white polo. He put on his sneakers and grabbed his guitar and off he go.

Only few people come to this bar but tonight is a different case. He is surprised that he can see a lot of people came tonight. He began to sweat because he will be performing tonight in front of these people. He tightened his grip on the handle of his guitar bag and muttered a short silent prayer that he won’t go off tune or forgets lyrics. He is not used to a big audience since he just started singing in public just several months ago.

“Taehyun? Are you ready? Here’s the list of song requests.” The manager handed him a piece of paper. He looked at the long list of the requests it piled up to the back of the paper “This is gonna be a long night” he sighed but isn’t complaining. He placed himself on the center stage and brings out his guitar and feeling a little jittery before the manager cleared his throat on the mic garnering attentions.

“Good evening! Are you having fun with your drinks tonight?” the crowd unleashed an energetic chant saying YES! Taehyun’s stomach made a slight churn and his palms started to sweat.

“Alright let’s not keep you waiting and now may I call on our vocalist for tonight Nam Taehyun to serenade us songs” the spotlight was now on Taehyun and a wild applause roared throughout the bar. The manager signaled him to start.

“HI!” He said on a high-pitched tone out of nervousness. “Oh sorry! Uhm.. I’m Nam Taehyun and I hope you’ll have a good time and enjoy your drinks!” His hands are shaking but he managed to strum the first chord. The audience gave him another applause. While Taehyun are singing in front, a man not far from the stage felt restless something is achingly familiar with the voice he is hearing right at this moment. He surely heard of that voice before if he is not mistaken. But instead of jumping into conclusion he just enjoyed listening to the voice for it is soothing his body and ears like that voice is a cure to any sickness. He waited for him to finish the song and go down the stage before he approached the guy. He rose from his seat and grabbed his beer and walked towards the vocalist.

“HI!” A deep baritone voice startled Taehyun. He turned around to see who it was.

MINO!  Taehyun was left frozen on his spot when he saw the owner of the voice. His dilated eyes was fixed on man’s face. He can’t believe he’s standing in front of Song Mino, his patient.

“Have we met before?” Mino smiled and a sudden butterflies on his stomach won’t stop. His heart is beating wildly like his heart will come out of his chest. Am I dreaming?

Nam Taehyun is still speechless. Mino really did woke up from his coma. He can’t explain the happiness it brought to him seeing Mino walking, talking and even drinking beers.

“Can we talk outside because it’s noisy here?” Taehyun nodded. As they reach outside the bar Mino stopped walking when he saw a bench. He take a sit and motioned Taehyun to do the same. No one’s ever breaking the silence until Mino can’t bear it anymore.

“Okay I will repeat my question. Have we met before Taehyun?” He blushed upon hearing his name came out of Mino’s mouth, it’s the first time. He thanked the town for the lack of street lights for the latter won’t see his flaming red cheeks.

“And why did you asked?” he retorted. He’s trying to act normal by controlling the excitement on his voice.

“Nothing it’s just that your voice is pretty familiar to my ears” he admitted looking straight on Taehyun’s eyes.

“To tell you the truth Taehyun-ssi I was-.” Before he even finish his statement a ringing phone cut him off. He mouthed “wait” to Taehyun. After a couple of minutes he came back but he’s on a hurry.

“Taehyun-ssi I have an urgent appointment I am so sorry I have to go now. Can I have your phone number instead? I have to tell you something and I have more questions but too bad I have to go. I am really sorry!” he handed his phone to Taehyun.

“Don’t be sorry” he input his digits on his phone and gave it back to Mino.

“I hope to see you soon Taehyun-ssi!”

“I hope so too Mino…”

 

THE END.