1/1

Of Crushes and Weird Kids

“He’s so cool!”

“I want to be his friend, Sehun!”

“Should I give him one of my plushies?”

“Or do I show him my rock collection?”

“Sehun, help me!”

Sehun has long tuned out his best friend’s rambling on this Kim kid he’s been talking about for days. He believes this is too much to take in for a 7-year old kid who just wants to eat his cake in peace.

Just when he thought Kyungsoo finally gets the hint, the other boy would start muttering to himself – saying how exciting it would be to have this Kim kid over his house and maybe introduce him to this penguin show he’s been gushing over for weeks now.

Sehun just wants to eat his cake but Kyungsoo’s rambling is so distracting that he literally just wants to bang his head on the table and sleep.   

And that’s exactly what he’s about to do when he feels Kyungsoo poking him on the shoulder, not stopping until he puts his attention back on him.

“What now, Soo?”

“You think I should come up to him and say hi?” Kyungsoo shyly asks, fumbling with the hem of his shirt with the slightest tint of pink adorning his chubby cheeks.

Sehun darts his eyes over the playground and spots him, running around and passing the rubber ball over to his tall friend with overly long legs and dumbo ears.

Sehun is just about to open his mouth in response to his best friend’s question when Kyungsoo suddenly shoots up from his seat, suddenly looking as determined as ever.

“Great! I’ll do that now!” Eagerly nodding his head, Kyungsoo clasps his hands together as he makes his way to his object of affection.

Sehun could only sigh.

 

--

 

Sehun is downright confused.

He’s almost positive he’s seen the Kim kid wearing a plain blue shirt and a red cap. He’s confused as to why Kyungsoo’s talking to a kid wearing the exact opposite of what he’s witnessed just a couple of minutes ago.

His best friend is now talking to a kid who looks so much like Kyungsoo’s crush but wears a black shirt with a cartoon print on it. Perhaps he’s decided to change clothes because he’s sweaty like that?

Yeah, it’s probably that.

 

--

 

“Hi.”

Jongin looks up when he feels someone standing in front of him, stopping the game he’s playing before putting his Junmyeon hyung’s cellphone inside his pocket.

He’s surprised to see a short kid looking shyly at him, fumbling with his hands while nervously biting his lower lip.

“Yes?”

“U-uhm hi. I’m Kyungsoo.”

Startled by the sudden introduction, he decides to just go along with it. “I’m Jongin. What brings you here?” He offers Kyungsoo a small smile, actually finding it cute when the other kid slightly flinches upon hearing his reply.

“C-can I be your friend? Jongin? If it’s okay with you.”

“Of course! Are you alone?”

“N-no. My best friend’s with me but I just thought of asking you since you weren’t playing with your friends.” Kyungsoo replies, still sporting that nervous look on his face.

“Ah, you mean Chanyeol hyung and my twin?”

Kyungsoo widens his eyes at that, but squints them a bit when he realizes it could scare Jongin away. “You have a twin?”

Jongin nods, “Mm!” he continues, “But Kai’s older than me by a minute. You didn’t notice?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head, actually looking lost and confused. “Nope. I didn’t really bother looking at their faces. Because um, I’ve only ever noticed you.”

Feeling a blush coming judging from how his face suddenly heats up, Jongin clears his throat as he asks, “Why?”

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath, looking like he’s about to say something really important as he closes his eyes. “Because I –“

“Soo!”

Both boys jump at the sudden interruption, Kyungsoo looking deflated when he sees his best friend heading over to where they’re at.

“Soo, you won’t believe this!”

Kyungsoo suddenly feels himself getting nervous because his best friend actually looks as pale as a sheet of paper, gasping for air as if he’s just seen a ghost.

“I thought your crush just changed his shirt but he’s actually there!” Sehun almost yells as he points at a specific direction. “And you’re talking to this! I don’t understand!”

Kyungsoo suppresses a bubble of laughter from coming out because he thinks he finally gets what Sehun is trying to say. Such an idiot.

“Sehun, they’re actually tw—“

“Hey!”

The three boys turn around to the direction of the voice, Sehun screaming when he immediately spots him, not even giving Kyungsoo a chance to talk as he runs away from the group of boys, not even bothering to drag his friend along with him.

This time, Kyungsoo actually does laugh as he gets absorbed into his giggling fit. “I-I’m sorry! My friend is an idiot!”

Kai sends his twin a look, not having the slightest bit of clue of what’s happening. Chanyeol seems to agree as he glances at the direction the other boy just went off to. Weird kid.

Jongin shrugs, not really in the mood to explain Kyungsoo’s best friend’s behavior. Instead, he slings an arm over the shorter’s shoulder – making the other do that adorable thing with his eyes again.

“This is Kyungsoo, my new friend. Kyungsoo, this is my twin Kai and our friend Chanyeol hyung.” Jongin introduces, a wide smile on his face as he makes Kyungsoo and his twin shake hands.

When he notices though, that his twin has that dreamy look on his face, he immediately pulls their hands apart, expression suddenly turning sour. Nope, he’s not going to go through this again.

“Nope! Pretend I never said anything! Kyungsoo’s not his name! Bye!”

Not understanding the sudden change in Jongin’s behavior, Kyungsoo helplessly shrugs as he lets himself be dragged by Jongin who’s muttering something about stupid brothers stealing something from him again.

Another weird kid, Chanyel thinks.

He decides to just blame it on the weather.

 


 

a/n: such an achievement bc i've been writing lots of fics lately but i never got around to finishing any of them lol hope you enjoyed ^^