Un

Nonplus

Yonghwa


“Stop seeing that .”

Yonghwa laughed sensing all the disdain the sentence held, especially since it was coming from his twin sister. At times like these, he usually sided with his twin. They were too alike, but still so different. This time he chose to defend his girlfriend.

“Hara’s actually a good girl, Sooyeon,” Yonghwa muttered nonchalantly, hoping to close the topic.

 “It doesn’t sound convincing to me.”

Yonghwa chuckled while putting on a thick scarf around his neck. He turned to the grand mirror, adjusting the scarf then collar of his trench coat, and headed back into his walk-in wardrobe.

“You just haven’t met her yet Sooyeon,” he said smoothly.  At times like this he tries to decrease Sooyeon’s prejudices against Hara. It puzzles him how Sooyeon could dislike someone this much, even when she’s miles away studying design at NYU.

“She’s nice and very outgoing.” he paused, looking over from one watch to one another. He was busy dressing up for a celebratory party for his band members as they managed to throw their first gig in one of the best clubs in Seoul.

Although he was weathly, he did not use any of his wealth to help his band achieve the success they got today. Simply because he couldn’t. The money belongs to his parents, if he could still call them that.

“But I wouldn’t want to meet her! What do you want me to look at? My twin brother getting cozy with a y and ty cheerleader?” Sooyeon answered shouting through the call.

Yonghwa took a moment of silence and listened to his sister while he took his time. Deliberately putting the other watch back to where they should be and closing the door behind him.

 “She’s a girl too you know.”  Yonghwa calmly said, this time really meaning his annoyance. “I really don’t understand why you dislike her this much. Plus we’d prefer to show our affection to one another privately, not in front of many people.”

Sooyeon made a disgusted sound that sounded much like puking. “That’s gross, Yonghwa. You have only been with her for a few months and you sound like you like her a lot.”

 “What are you trying to get at, Sooyeon?” Yonghwa asked. He was frowning at the surface of the smart TV hanging on the wall showing his twin sister in her apartment in New York.

 “Am I not being obvious enough?” Sooyeon asked him. “I’m being quite serious here. Just break up with Hara already. You know she’s a bad influence.”

Yonghwa walked towards the flat-screen and crossed his arms.

“I know Hara might not be the perfect girl out there. But she’s been really nice to me.” Yonghwa answered. “I’m going to hang up if you are just going to keep going on about me asking for a break up.”

Then Sooyeon spoke again.

“Whatever. But you’ve got to know that as your sister, I just want what’s best for you. I’m sorry if I’m becoming very protective. I miss you.”

“Honestly, Sooyeon you behaving way too overprotective is starting to get a little creepy. Who knows, you might have fallen for me” Yonghwa remarked before shutting down his smart TV, but he did not fail to catch the disgusted reply from his twin.

Jung Sooyeon, aren’t you overreacting?