The storm inside

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongkook swivels in his leather chair, ignoring the documents spread across his mahogany desk. He returned to his office after Jihyo finally fell asleep asleep again. Sadly, it was alittle inappropriate for him to stay in her room. With his position, he doesn't want tongues to wag - it would only spell trouble for the newly-employed Jihyo.

But two hours later, he still got nothing done. Zilch. He twirls his black Waterman rapidly back and forth his fingers. 

This past week has been extremely unsettling.

Meeting Jihyo again after so long was something that he had come to look forward to over the years, but now that he finally did, everything had blown up in his face. 

He spent three years thinking that she didn't love him. He spent three years thinking that he wasn't enough for her. So he spent three years burying his hurt, smothering his feelings with a massive workload. And it worked. He did move on with life. He had laid all the pieces carefully down, seeing his future clearly at Queen's. 

Jihyo's return tossed everything up in the air again. 

Listening to her broken confession, hearing her side of the story from Kwangsoo left him bewildered, confused. The final straw came when he witnessed Jihyo giving her life up for him. Today, he no longer knows what to think or feel anymore. 

All he knows now is that his heart almost stopped when he saw her lying in front of the car, motionless. He knows now that his senses are still hypersensitive when she's near and the centre of his chest still contracts when he sees her cry. And he knows now that Jihyo didn't leave him because of Jihoon, that she didn't leave him because she didn't love him. Now, he could no longer pin their break up on anyone, anything. 

They could have had everything. A beautiful life, a loving relationship. But Jihyo dropped him like a hot potato. She reduced him to a tumbling heap of mess, upped and left, expecting him to just pick up the pieces of his heart and get on with life. 

Why?

What was it? Why didn't they work? Why, when they're so clearly drawn to each other?

Jongkook huffs, trying to return his mind to work again. He flips through the papers he has in front of him, trying his best to concentrate but the words keep bleeding into one another, meaning nothing to him. Frustrated, he stands up forcefully, shoving his chair away from him with a resounding bang as it bounces against the wall. Giving up, he walks towards his full-length window, leaning against its dark rosewood frame. He stares at the view below him, people and cars seem to be moving steadily, purposefully on, as if the world didn't just tilt wildly on its axis, throwing everything he knew up into the air again. The order that he had carefully established, once again in a scrambled mess.

It hurts when he thinks about it, a nameless ache that gnaws at the center of his being. It hurts that the closure that he had believed in was never real. It hurts his heart to know that she could leave him despite her love for him, that she could walk away so easily from him despite their attachment to each other.

He doesn't even understand why but it hurts to know that she still loves him, after all these time. 

It ing hurts. 

He storms out of his office, carelessly slamming the door behind him. He barely registers the alarm in his secretary's face out of the corner of his eye and seems to be moving on autopilot towards Jihyo's room. He wonders if she's awake, needing to deal with the itch to speak to her.

What he really wants to ask is, why did you do it, Song Jihyo? Really, do you really love me, enough to give up your own life for me?

His eyes darken as he remembers the girls who threw themselves at him. They had appeared, magically, out of nowhere when he inherited Queen's. They had flitted around him and attached themselves to him. Initially, he was flattered, then he was amused. Gradually though, he's really just annoyed by their superficial attention. 

He jabs the lift button furiously at the thought that Jihyo's intentions may not be as pure as it seems. 

After being  into the higher echelons of society, after dealing with wily stockholders of the hospital, Jongkook is no longer as carefree and naive as before. He became aware of how doubting he is of people's intentions, especially when they seem too earnest, appear too sincere.

The thought of her, throwing herself into an obviously dire position, lying resignedly on the road as she waited for the fatal impact of the oncoming vehicle appears again in his mind and his heart tightens once more, as he mentally slaps himself for thinking of Jihyo that way.

No.

He stops outside her door, wavering, suddenly uncertain about confronting her so quickly after the accident. Especially when she's still recuperating from her injuries. Maybe now is not the best time.

But he wants to see her. A part of him wonders whether seeing her would quell the restlessness within him, if only for awhile. 

He raises his hand again to knock on her door, before popping his head in. 

Jihyo is propped up on her bed, which has been adjusted to a sitting position. Her head jerks towards the door at his appearance and her lips tilt up to form a cute little pout at the abrupt strain on her sprained

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter