Final

Sweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Okay, that's 10 thousand won! Thank you, and please enjoy your ice cream!”

 

It's just another busy day at the ice cream parlour for you; customers flooding in and out, the chiming of the doorbell and the sweet scent of treats.

 

“Jaera!” your boss suddenly calls out. “I'll need you to work another hour because Seulgi's not coming in today. Is that okay?”

 

You turn back to meet her pleading eyes. Making a quick scan across the shop, you notice that it really is a busy day and why not, you could use the extra cash.

 

Nodding, you turn back to the cash register while holding in a tired sigh.

 

Ding!

 

The (now very annoying) chime of the doorbell lets you know that there are more customers coming in, and you prepare yourself with a bright smile.

 

However, the boys that come in aren't regulars, and to be honest, very good looking. They look as if they belong to fine dining restaurants instead of small ice cream parlours.

 

“Hi, welcome to Red Velvet. How may I help you?” your hand is poised above the cash register, ready to make practised typing.

 

“Well,” one boy leans forward. “You can help me by telling me your name.”

 

His friends cringe at the sight of him flirting. “Hyung,” a tall one murmurs. “What are you trying to do?”

 

Unamused, you inwardly roll your eyes. There's no time for flirting when there are so many customers to be served, plus, this is the first meeting between the two of you.

 

“Um, I have a nametag,” you respond, pointing to it. “Now, what would you like to order?”

 

The first boy doesn't seem to give up and there's a glint in his eyes. “I'd like to have your numb-”

 

“Sorry,” you cut him off. “But you're holding up the line.”

 

His friends chuckle at your straightforwardness. One of them even bends over in laughter.

 

“Okay, okay. I'd like to have... you know what? Just surprise me.”

 

You smirk. Oh he's in for a surprise, all right.

 

 

“Here you go,” you set down the tray of ice cream on the counter. “One apple mint, one chocolate, one blueberry and a Jaera surprise.”

 

The first boy gleams in anticipation, not knowing at all what lay in the cup. Oh, that poor boy.

 

He apparently isn't poor when he fishes out a few notes from his thick wallet. He pays for his friends as if he does that everyday of his life and they thank him loudly.

 

They leave to their table and you can't help but keep your eyes on him while working the cash register. You feel a bit bad when he seems all smiley and excited, and maybe you reacted a tad too harshly.

 

However, it doesn't stop the giggle that escapes your lips when you watch his reaction as he puts a spoonful into his mouth. It starts off with anticipation, followed by confusion, and a plain old disgusted look on his face. He should be an actor, with his range of emotions.

 

The whole time the boys are there, you always catch yourself sneaking a peek at them. They seem like fun, as there is always audible guffawing, teasing and whining from their table.

 

Soon enough, your shift is finally over and they've all finished their ice cream, including the Jaera surprise, surprisingly. You remove your apron and let your hair down from the ponytail it was in, going over to grab your bag and leave.

 

Coincidentally, you are going out the door at the same time as the boys. They still are in good moods, but the first boy doesn't notice your presence yet, and is preoccupied by his phone.

 

“Did you enjoy the ice cream?” you direct your question to all of them.

 

“Yes!” the tall one exclaims. “ Junmyeon hyung really loved the Jaera surprise!”

 

“Huh?” Junmyeon snaps out of it and realises your presence. “Oh, yes. What was in it, may I know?”

 

“Other than vanilla ice cream? I put in smoked almonds, sliced licorice, olive oil, lemon zest, habanero pepper and... some kimchi.”

 

His friends are trying to hide their grins as he is taken aback by the vast array of ingredients.

 

“Ah... yes... It was very.. unique.”

 

“I hope you liked it!” you feign innocence. “I saw you finish up the whole thing!”

 

He seems to buy your facade because his eyes soften. “I liked it a lot. I think I'll be coming here more often now.”

 

And with a quick bow, they are off to the opposite direction of where you're headed to. His pretence of enjoying the ice cream stokes your determination of making an even more unique concoction and somehow you can't wait for the next time he comes to the parlour.

 

And that is the start of how he becomes a regular.

 

 

“Hello, welcome to Red Velvet, how may I- oh!” you finally lift your eyes from the cash register. “Junmyeon!”

 

His lips curve upwards. “You know my name,” he says wryly. “And yes, I'm back again.”

 

“Hyung, I'm hungry~” his tall friend whines.

 

“Shh Sehun.”

“May I have your orders? You're holding up the line again.” you say half-teasingly, glancing at the people behind them.

 

“Sehun will have a banana vanilla sundae,” he responds smoothly, “And I'll have a Jaera surprise.”

 

Your eyebrows shoot up to your forehead. Surely he isn't being serious? No sane person would ever go through that again. You shiver involuntarily as you recall the gross ingredients you put into the ice cream.

 

“Okay, coming right up. Any special requests?”

 

“No-” Sehun starts off, but is immediately cut off by Junmyeon.

 

“Can I have mine a little sweeter?” he says, or more like flirts, “Everything dulls in comparison to your smile.”

 

You see him await the blush that is supposed to spread across your cheeks. However, once again, you are unamused. Exchanging a look with Sehun, you nod and get to their orders.

 

After less than five minutes, you return with their ice cream. Today's Jaera surprise contains different toppings though. The three of you take a short moment to stare at the mess of chocolate bits, smartie bits, candy canes, chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, sweetened milk, and kimchi.

 

“That'll be 28,000 won please. The candy canes are a bit expensive.” you explain, somewhat apologetically.

 

Junmyeon pulls out his wallet without a word of dissatisfaction and Sehun quickly takes a spoonful of his banana vanilla sundae with excitement. The same can't be said for Junmyeon as he eyes the surprise flavour warily.

 

As you tend to the next customer, an exclamation is heard from Junmyeon and Sehun's table, making you grin in satisfaction.

 

“This is a cupful of diabetes!”

 

Stifling a chuckle, you can't help but notice that the other customers are looking either worriedly or amused by Junmyeon's sudden outburst. He looks so pitiful and adorable and why are you thinking that?!

 

That guy has literally used lame pick-up lines on you, and you aren't easy. You don't like to classify yourself with the girls who love their rich oppas and use aegyo every second of the day.

 

Junmyeon and Sehun throw their empty cups away about twenty minutes later before leaving. The fact that Junmyeon actually finished the cup of diabetes left you in awe. How far was he willing to go?

 

He winks at you as he walks, no, saunters, out the door. You scowl.

 

 

“Let me guess? You want another surprise?”

 

You are staring at Junmyeon's face for the fourth time this week, and you're starting to wonder if he's getting diabetes anytime soon. This time, he's here with another friend, Jongdae, if you're not wrong. Even Sehun couldn't take the continuous sweet food.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter