Speak Now

Speak Now

If anyone knows a reason these two shouldn't marry, speak now or forever hold your peace,” as soon as the priest uttered these words, I stood up. In a split second, all eyes are on me.

At that instant, I froze. It seems like I have a remote control that pauses the present and rewinds all our memories together...

When I first saw Jonghyun, he was crying. As tears fell down from his eyes, I already knew that I don’t want to see this guy cry again. I was so mesmerized with his handsome face as I was approaching him when someone shouted, “Cut! Good take! That’s it for today! See you tomorrow, actors.”

Jonghyun straightened up from the bench in the hallway, wiped his tears and smiled the best smile I’ve ever seen. I stopped walking and thinking at the same time. My feet were glued on the floor while my eyes on his face. I closed my eyes and leaned on the wall to regain my composure. My heart is beating so loudly that I was literally deaf. Too deaf to hear his footsteps on my direction. When I opened my eyes, the face I admired from twenty feet away was just twenty inches from me.

Oh, God. He’s hotter than the 12 o’clock sun. If I were a cartoon character, I’m probably melting right now.

Are you okay?” Those were his first words to me. TO ME. I can honestly die right now.

Are you okay?” He repeated, this time with concern in his voice and eyes. Brown eyes, take note.

Yes, I’m okay. It’s just the heat, I think.” I finally responded while dramatically fanning myself just before the bell rang.

Uhm... Hi. I know that we just met and we’re not even close but I need a little help. I’m a transferee and I don’t know my way around yet. My next class is at Xavier Hall, can you tell me where it is?” He asked. Cutely. Like an actual puppy.

I felt the gods smiled at me as I remembered that my next class will be in that building, too. Jonghyun and I headed towards our destinations. On our way, he explained that he was shooting for the theater guild’s play. He was asked to cry for a scene and that was when I saw him. Jonghyun was also telling a story about a dog, or was it a cat?, but I can’t remember anything else for I was so distracted with his biceps as the hems of his shirt sleeves fit perfectly around them.

All the first and last days of our college lives, we were together. I became his best friend. I was there to see his downfalls, his plays, his exhibits, his interviews, his races, his smiles, his laughs, his biceps, his chest, his abs. Okay, enough. In short, I was there every single time.

I know everything about Jonghyun but he doesn’t know everything about me. Especially my feelings. I thought it wasn’t love until...

Our group of friends decided to spend two weeks of our summer vacation in Boracay. The odds were in my favor for I was a member of the university’s water skiing team. Summer is the perfect time to get my skin tanned and to see Jonghyun on his swimming trunks. I mean putting swimming stuff in his car’s trunk, you silly reader.

Unfortunately, Jonghyun can’t swim. He treats the shore as his catwalk but the sea was never his ally. As much as possible, he stays away from the water just like Superman stays away from kryptonite. Don’t get me wrong, though. He’s more handsome than the Man of Steel. Just a little bit shorter, though. Okay, fine. A lot shorter.

Moving on, the night of our last day in Boracay, Jonghyun’s nth girlfriend broke up with him. I thought I was just crushing on him back then so I didn’t mind the other girls though sometimes I really want to high five them. In the face. With a chair.

Jonghyun was really drunk already so when someone dared him to swim, he accepted the challenge. Alcoholic beverages may not solve problems but it makes people forget them. Forgetting. Sometimes, it’s all we need.

Jonghyun went farther and farther up to the point that all of his five feet and seven inches of a body can’t be seen anymore. We assumed that he would get back as soon as possible but he didn’t. After what seemed like eternity, two hands appeared above the water and a head followed. Jonghyun was drowning!

Being the best swimmer in our group, I hurriedly went to his aid. Within minutes, I saved him and brought him to the shore. He was not breathing. I did chest compressions but to no avail.

Don’t die on me! I haven’t told you I love you! These thoughts entered my mind and that was when I realized that I do love him.

“Do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation!” Screamed someone loud enough to wake me up from my thought. So did I and after five exhales, he was revived. He was still spitting water out but I hugged him, anyway. I can’t lose you. Not anymore. Was all I can think of.

 

...But I’m losing him right now. At this chapel in front of Jonghyun’s and Taeyeon’s friends and family. Oh, Taeyeon. I could sell my soul just to be on your shoes right now.

I look at Taeyeon in her white lace gown. She’s the most beautiful bride I’ve ever seen. Aside from her catwalk-worthy beauty, she is also one of the elite Kim's. Wit, wealth and etiquette ran in their bloodline. No wonder, Jonghyun fell head over heels for her. Then I look at her groom. My best friend that I am secretly in love with. He looks like a Hollywood actor in his suit and tie. Despite the questioning look in his eyes, he’s smiling. That smile that only Taeyeon can give. Who am I to take that away from him?

Yes, mister? Anything you would like to say?” The priest questioned me. Mister. The word echoed in my mind. That’s right. I’m a man. I need to act like a man.

Nothing, Father. I just want to make everyone nervous. That’s the little ice breaker Jonghyun’s best man has prepared. You may now continue the ceremony.” Everyone was relieved at my revelation.

My eyes went back to Jonghyun and he mouthed the words “Thank you, Kibum.” As he turns his back I mouthed back, “I love you, Jonghyun.”