006

Bachelor Party Sweetheart

This was the last thing Kyungsoo could have expected himself to be doing on the chilly Saturday morning. It was too early for any of this. He wasn't even meant for this type of rush and attention.

The young boy had found himself lucky to be short, it had served as an advantage as he vanished between the business men bustling to their workplace and elderly women power walking the side walk, mouth masks on their faces. Kyungsoo didn't find his situation to be the most scenic, but that was the least of his worries. Looking back, at least 3 reporters were still onto him. They were forcing themselves through the people but had since lost their cameramen- their equipment may have been a factor in falling behind.

In front of him was only miles of people at sidewalk stores, which were all to small to conviniently hide in. Baekhyun's words continued to replay in his mind.

It's Jongin.

It's Jongin

It's Jongin.

That bastard.

But could he really blame him? Kyungsoo's bitterness overlooked this. He let out a sigh, a million thoughts going through him. Yifan is seriously pissed, poor Luhan extremely confused, and Baekhyun definitely concerned. Really only Baekhyun knew the story behind the situation, if they were right about it at all. The tips of his fingers were turning purple in the cold for leaving his jacket behind. And he looked like an idiot. The situation was all too reminiscent of when he had first met Jongin. Was it karma?

He turned to his side and peered through the window of a Starbucks, seemingly empty due to the low attendence of students during that time of the day. This was his opportunity to dash in before the pack of journalist wolves got any closer. Kyungsoo looked down before looking behind him. where the reporters were scattered in a small diameter searching for their target. Seeing that they were too busy focusing on anything but his direction, he welcomed himself into the warmth of the generic store.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks." A soft yet exasperated voice of the petite female barista came from behind the counter. He bowed slightly in greeting at the same time taking deep breaths to relieve his sudden exercise in weather conditions not optimal for running. The sudden change in temperature made him feel nauseous, where he fell into a nearby loveseat against the wall of the entrance.

The barista walked towards the entrance side of the counter and raised her eyebrow at the exhausted customer. She pursed her lips.

"Sir, you need to order something in order to stay here." Her head bobbed forward with attitude, her short hair bouncing with it. Kyungsoo blushed at his carelessness and slowly stood up, still recovering from his fatigue.

"S-sorry," He was about to approach her while reaching for his back pocket where his wallet always remains, only to realize it was missing.

My wallet! 

He gaped in shock.

It's in my jacket pocket!

He slammed his palm against his forehead in frustration, the barista looking at him confusingly. Kyungsoo let his hand fall as he looked up at her with sad eyes. She could tell he had forgotten something important, and let out a sigh.

"Please leave sir." She stated boldly this time and not with her softer tone. A bit of anger was overcoming her, along with impatience.

Kyungsoo sulked for a moment before turning around to step out the door, but had to stop himself right before his foot went out the shop. His head poked out the doorway for any reporters that may still be lingering in the bustling public.

This served as a disadvantage- it could've been anyone out there. It's winter, everyone wears practically the same clothes.

Well I can't leave now...

Kyungsoo turned back around, the irritated barista already doing her own thing. He timidly approached her again, until another employee, a tall, young man with a much kinder expression than his female counterpart approached with a friendly smirk.

"Have you been helped already?" He asked in a husky voice that definitely did not match the appearance of his face. His hands clapped together and rubbed each other for warmth. Kyungsoo cluelessly gawked.

"N-no, I just need to use the restroom.." His eyes darted back and forth for a moment. "Can I?"

The barista let out a charming laugh, Kyungsoo nervously chuckling with a cheeky look.

"Of course. It's right upstairs." He directed his hand to point upwards, diagonal to the stairs at the end of the store. Kyungsoo bowed in thanks and made small steps up.

Upstairs was exactly the same layout as the downstairs area, just a bathroom was at the end of the room. He was quick to bolt straight in, it was a bathroom meant for one person so he had to pray that no one else needed to use it as he planned on staying for a while. There was no way those bloodthirsty reporters would let him go that easily- a job is a job after all. Kyungsoo turned the lock in his safe haven and began pacing around.

Nothing. He had nothing to help him.

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

A few suggestions began popping- find an alternative route back to the restaurant, if his friends are still there anyways. Leave the restroom and ask a customer for their cell. And the worst: leave the coffee shop to confront the reporters, maybe they'll leave him alone if they get what they want.

Ha! As if I would.

Kyungsoo set his forehead against the door before opening it up, his best option now was to obviously ask a patron to borrow their phone. Leaving was too dangeorus for now. The small boy timidly walked back out to the room where a few customers sat. His options?

Two girls, seemingly gossiping about something sitting at the bar chairs against the windows. One was foreign anyways and he felt that that was a definite reason why  he couldn't approach.

An old woman arguing with who knows who on her phone, clearly she wasn't an option. For many reasons.

A father and his toddler son, both messing around with the younger's vehicle trinkets that he had brought to play with. They were sharing a scone, but Kyungsoo hated that he considered them an option for how much fun they were having. He would probably ruin it.

Finally, a boy, one around his age that was obviously closed off doing his own thing. He wore a black mouth mask (for why Kyungsoo couldn't understand as he was inside), and a black hat. What put Kyungsoo off about him was the ear piercing that had a chain connected to his cartiladge piercing, a black cross charm hanging from it. He was focused on his mini laptop, typing and directing the mouse on the mousepad with his right hand only. Seated farthest away from the bathroom, he was seating at a large table that was meant for large parties, but the fact that it was an early weekday morning, no one could consider sparing seats for people.

All these options !

All things considered, he came to the conclusion that approaching the 'bad boy' would produce the least amount of conflict. The most he assumed he could do was just decline, and although Kyungsoo hated the thought of it, it was better than the possiblities of his three other options, as well as his current situation practically begging for him to just ask someone for their cell phone already.

Shyly and quitely, Kyungsoo walked up to the boy in small steps. His head was down the entire time.

Put your head up dummy! You look ridiculous.

He couldn't. He was much to timid to even try. By the time he found himself in the bubble of his target, his head remained down anyways to face him. The boy looked up at him when noticing his presence and cocked an eyebrow. He removed his mask, revealing a stud on his nose and parted lips.

On God, he's going to hurt me.

Kyungsoo gave a rectangle smile, he knew it didn't look good but it happened anyways.

"H-Hi, I'm sorry for bothering you!" That came out louder than I had liked. "Is it okay if I borrow your phone?? Just for a second!" Oh gosh, shut up.

The mysterious boy turned his head in another direction slightly, but kept his eyes on the shy boy displayed in front of him. His face remained experessionless, but much to Kyungsoo's surprise, nodded and handed him his cell as if it were one of ten that he owned.

"Thank you! I just need to make one call.." Kyungsoo explained frantically, excited that he wasn't embarassed by rejection. His savior nodded with a smirk, and watched Kyungsoo as he stumbled typing in Baekhyun's number, making multiple mistakes and constantly hitting the backspace button.

"Are you okay?" The boy who lent his phone cocked his eyebrow again in concern, Kyungsoo startled by the surprisingly sweet voice he emitted.

His eyes widened at the question.

"I'm fine! ...why?" Kyungsoo instantly regretted opening his mouth.

"Well, you look like you just commited a crime." He said, jokingly? Kyungsoo couldn't tell.

"I-" He stopped his response. Because he had none.

The stranger chuckled to himself and shut his laptop. This was startling for the other, as this meant many things. Was he going to instigate? Or maybe want to start a conversation? Did he want his phone back because he didn't answer?

Kyungsoo gulped at the endless possibilities.

"Go ahead." The customer insisted, gesturing at Kyungsoo to continue.

"O-oh.." Kyungsoo choked, and finally dialed.

It took a few rings but he couldn't have felt more relieved to hear Baekhyun's voice. It was shaky but still full of joy.

"Kyungsoo! Where are you!? Oh my gosh, Yifan is pissed! And Luhan is so confused, but I don't know what to tell them, I know you don't want them to know, but I feel like they-"

A million words hit Kyungsoo before he could even prepare himself.

"Baekhyun, stop! Everything's fine- I.. I'm hiding at the Starbucks near the traditional fan vendor over by Insa-dong. Whatever you do, don't come here." His voice was stern. The owner of the device looked at him funny. "J-just stay with them and I'll find a way back."

"But Kyungsoo!! They deserve to know!"

"No they don't! Make sure you have all my stuff. Please. I owe you big time, okay?"

"But-"

"Shut-" Kyungsoo stopped himself when he saw the other boy furrow his eyebrows. Yifan did it all the time when he was displeased or curious, and it might've been rude to say what he intended to say in front of him. "Just don't, okay? Please."

There was a moment of silence between the two. It scared the younger because he could hear Yifan cursing about something, and Luhan trying to calm him down softly. It was almost as if his own parents were fighting.

"O-okay. We'll be at the new bakery we talked about earlier, do you know how to get there?"

"Yes. That's perfect. I promise I won't be long, okay? Make sure Yifan doesn't snap."

"Okay. Bye."

And he had hung up.

Just has he had asked for it, Kyungsoo timidly returned the phone to its rightful owner who took it back with a look of appreciation. He quickly stuffed it into is pocket and smirked again.

"Sounds like you're in some sort of trouble." He suggested. It was obvious at this point.

"Yeah, it's a long story." Kyungsoo stood there awkwardly. He had nothing else to do but wait. Nowhere to go, no one to talk to. Maybe this boy was an exception, but it didn't mean he liked it.

"Don't worry, I wont get in your business." The boy held out his hand. "I'm Sehun by the way."

The smaller accepted the handshake (and it couldn't have been more awkward). "I'm Kyungsoo." He responded, shoulders small.

"If you need to get somewhere why are you waiting here? Hiding from someone?"

Why does he read me like that?!

"I guess you could say that..."

"I have a disposable mouth mask you can use so they won't know it's you, whoever it is." Sehun turned to his bookbag and rummaged through the contents of it- he was pretty messy. There was crumples of paper crinkling as he dug through his belongings, wires of chargers and other cords to other devices poking out. Kyungsoo watched this unfold with wide eyes. He was grateful nonetheless.

After about a minute of searching, Sehun managed to uncover a plastic packaging that consisted of folded masks. The disposable kind. He gently took one out with his long fingers and handed it to his new friend with a small grin.

"Thank you so much..." Kyungsoo was speechless at this point. He accepted the aid with both hands. Sehun laughed at this.

"Hey, I'm not your senior.. you don't have to take it from me like that." At this point he had fully turned his head to face Kyungsoo.

"Oh, sorry." The smaller scratched the back of his head, using his other hand to unfold the mask. "I'm just not used to people being this nice, so-"

"It's fine, kid. Just go, your friends are probably waiting."

Kyungsoo bowed profusely.

"Thank you... so much! I promise to repay you someday." He spat. Then he ran off.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Sehun's help could not have payed off anymore. As horrifying as it was to Kyungsoo, he was able to avoid the attention of the reporters that were still scanning the area- this was likely due to the high amounts of people who were present at that time just for casual shopping and whatnot. He blended in so perfectly. It was a clear option for Kyungsoo to hide. Little did they know that he was right under their noses.

The young boy kept his head low, smart to never lift it at the risk of one of them somehow recognizing his eyes, or forehead for that matter. All he had to do now was get to the bakery. And maybe do quite the explaining. He couldn't imagine how Yifan and Luhan would feel about his current situation, or if they would even believe it. But this was only if Kyungsoo himself felt comfortable sharing. If not, he was in for some frustration and guilt.

He looked ahead. The new bakery was just a block up from where he was. It was somewhat crowded with visitors, people loved to try new things so it didn't surprise him. The architecture in itself was significantly large- it took up a large portion of a corner of a shopping center. There was undoubtedly a second floor occupying the higher area, a large graphic of boy group ASTRO plastered from the inside of the window for guests to see. The walls were mostly made of glass. It was your typical 21st century design.

Inside, his friends were nowhere to be found. In fact, mostly toddlers occupied the first floor of the bakery, where customers chose what they wanted to eat and took their orders. Their parents conversed among one another while their children were left unattended to mess around with their peers. Kyungsoo loosened up in the warmness of the bakery and shuffled his way through the mass of children running the floor towards the stairs that were just a tiny section of itself in the corner of the store, just across from the entrance. Luckily for him, most customers in his age range had feld to the second floor.

It was quite large. It was decorated with pop culture icons on the walls, there was lots of yellow and retained a soft look. Clearly the bakery was targeted towards kids but that didn't mean adolescents couldn't occupy either. Kyungsoo shook a little in relief, and caught his friends in his vision almost immediately.

They were seated at a long table that was made up of about 8 chairs- obviously meant for a large party but his friends occupying 3 of the seats was enough to keep other people away. Baekhyun was deep in his phone, probably texting. Luhan was picking at his fingernails, and Yifan was watching him do so intently, which both his hands set on the side of his head.

Okay. Do it now.

"Hey guys..." Kyungsoo said so softly he instantly assumed they didn't hear. He prepared to repeat himself but Baekhyun felt his presence nearby anyways, and perked up at the sight of his friend.

"Kyungsoo!" He chirped, expression now much vibrant than before he had appeared. Luhan and Yifan turned at the sound, and Luhan smiled.

"Gosh, Kyungsoo, what was that?" He questioned, but in a way so that his friend wouldn't feel pressured to answer. "We were so worried.."

"They didn't hurt you, right?" Yifan asked, scanning Kyungsoo. His tone was brash.

Kyungsoo went around the table to take the empty seat next to Baekhyun, who slid him his belongings back. He peered at his phone screen, and he  had missed calls from all three boys.

"I'm fine, I'm not even sure what happened either..." The youngest of the group kept his head down, looking at his phone screen for any other notifications he might have missed.

"What? You mean you don't know why reporters were following you, asking the most ridiculous questions, practically-"

"You need to say something, Kyungsoo." Baekhyun interrupted Luhan before he got too anxious in his word vomit. All three kept their eyes on Kyungsoo, who had looked up at them with wide eyes.

"It's just some kid I met at the bachelor party. I got too drunk too function and he bought me a room, I woke up in the morning half with him on the other side of the wall.."

"Are you serious?!" Yifan snapped. Just as expected. "I'll beat up this basta-"

"No!" Kyungsoo interrupted with a raised hand. Yifan clenched his fist but decided to listen.

"He explained everything to me and Baekyhun the morning of. It was my fault.. drinking so irresponsibly and whatnot.." The small boy began to dwell on his choices, the word stupid constantly pounding in his brain. Luhan felt pity, and lay a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"It's nice he did it at all. Don't worry Yifan, he was just taking care of him."

"Then what does this have to do with those reporters?"

Baekhyun turned to Yifan.

"Must be some hotshot. I'm not even sure myself." He nodded with his words.

"His mom owns Chronology. The fashion company, right? He must be famous because of it anyway." Kyungsoo pouted. The other three raised their eyebrows.

"Chronology? I've never even heard of it." Luhan softly spoke, and turned to his Chinese counterpart. "Have you?"

"We haven't been here long enough to know what they like to wear." Yifan sneered. Baekhyun's eyes lit up.

"I love Chronology." The young boy gushed and began examining the tags of his clothes. "I get a lot of my clothes from there, see?" He displayed the brand name being discussed on one of his labels.

"Of course you do." Luhan narrowed his eyes with a smile.

"Either way I don't want you guys to get involved. I had no idea he was such a media topic. I might as well go into hiding." Kyungsoo groaned at the thought. Did it raelly come to this? Would he really have to resort to such actions?

"Don't talk like that, Kyungsoo!" Luhan jeered. "Just wear a mask and we'll be with you all the time, were you really thinking we would let you become a hermit because of some cassanova you met at your brother's bachelor party?" He laughed to himself at the idea of it.

Baekhyun pursed his lips.

"Why don't you try contacting him? You have his number, just ask him to settle down dispatch so you can return to your normal life."

"Hey! Stop adding gasoline to the fire." Yifan spat, Baekyhun rolling his eyes at the remark. He looked straight into Kyungsoo's large eyes and lowered his head slightly. "Just do what Luhan said, it's your best bet."

Kyungsoo sighed.

"If that's how it has to be."

-