Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare

Hi everyone! I recieved a prompt for this fic about 100 years ago, but was way too busy with university to complete it. I have finally managed to write something for it and I have to admit, the plot's kind of all over the place, but it was fun to write and I hope it's fun to read ^-^

 


 

“You’re up next!” Jongdae screams at Sehun over the noise of the other eleven members. He reaches over to pat his back in encouragement, “Truth or dare?”

“Dare.” Sehun says after taking a moment to decide between the two.

“Okay then,” says Jongdae, ginning, “I dare you… to let me post to your instagram.”

“What? That’s not a real dare!” Sehun says, uncrossing his legs and leaning over to hit Jongdae on the shoulder.

“The catch is that you aren’t allowed to delete it.” Jongdae continues.

Sehun narrows his eyes, assessing Jongdae’s expression. Reluctantly, he reluctantly hands over his phone and sits back down, folding his arms.

Jongdae scurries out of the room, leaving the members huddled around Chanyeol as he refreshes Sehun's instagram feed. After a few minutes Jongdae saunters back into the room and sits beside them on the floor, smiling smugly as he tosses the phone into Sehun’s lap. Chanyeol refreshes the page once more and, as expected, a new post pops up onto the screen.

Chanyeol bursts into laughter as soon as he sees it, rolling backwards and clapping his hands like a seal. He wastes no time passing the phone around the rest of the members.  

Sehun, looking down at his own phone screen, recognises one of his baby photos with a caption that simply reads ‘Baby #Sehun’. It’s a hideous photo and terrible quality, but Sehun still smiles when he sees it. The worst baby photos are always the best.

“Where did you even find this?” He asks Jongdae, raising his eyebrows.

“We’ll never know.” He replies with a wink.

“I do,” says Kyungsoo without hesitation, “It was in that photo album that we found at your house one time.”

“Kyungsoo!” Jongdae whines, “I was trying to be mysterious.”

Sehun stares at the picture on his phone with his eyebrows furrowed, reading the comments underneath it.

“The fans seem to like it,” He says, looking up from his phone, “They think I’m sharing my past with them.” He closes his eyes and wobbles his head smugly.

“Of course I wouldn’t post something bad.” Jongdae says. He struggles to talk over the continuous laughter of the other members, “But it’s embarrassing, right?”

Sehun smirks, “Are you kidding? I’m adorable!” He returns to his earlier position in the circle beside Luhan and leans back on his hands, satisfied that he had survived another round of truth or dare without damaging his reputation.

“Fine, I guess we have to step up the dares then.” Jongdae says, pressing his lips into a line and scowling in Sehun’s general direction. “Chanyeol’s up next!”

Much to Baekhyun’s amusement, Chanyeol shuffles his giraffe like limbs around on the floor until he is facing Sehun, who gets to think of the question this time, “Truth!” He says immediately.

“Okay…” Sehun puts a hand to his chin and furrows his eyebrows as if he is in deep contemplation. “Do you have a crush anyone in this room?”

“What kind of question is that?” Jongin interrupts, waving his hand dismissively, “You’re so boring!”

“You’re just afraid someone will ask you the same thing!” Baekhyun teases, “We all know you’ve got your eyes on Kyungsoo.”

Jongin opens his mouth to deny it, but shuts it when he sees Kyungsoo looking at him from across the circle, a blush spreading across his face.

“Is that true?” Kyungsoo says in a voice that’s barely audible.

Jongin can only mumble in response, so Baekhyun answers for him.

“Of course it’s true!” he shouts at them, “Now go to your room and make out already!”

The pair shuffles across the floor to sit beside each other, ignoring Baekhyun’s command.

“Okay then, moving on.” Junmyeon says as he edges away from the newly discovered couple. “Carry on, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol clears his throat and the members fall silent, leaning forward with wide eyes. “I do have a crush on someone in this room.”

“Who?” Baekhyun almost screams at him, taken by surprise that Chanyeol has a crush. They told each other everything.

“Sehun didn’t ask who,” Chanyeol says as he wiggles his eyebrows, “He only asked whether I did.”

Baekhyun looks at him with his mouth open, “but… that’s not fair!” he shouts, “You know that’s what he meant, right Sehun?”

“No comment.”

“See?” Chanyeol says, leaning back against the bedroom wall with his hands behind his head.

“You’re cheating!” Baekhyun screeches. “You have to answer properly.”

“It doesn’t matter, Baek,” Junmyeon interrupts, “You’ll find out who it is soon enough.”

 

The members start giggling once again and Baekhyun frowns, a small crease forming between his brows. “Fine, I’ll find out myself.” He squints at the members, scanning their expressions for any sign of embarrassment or discomfort. His eyes fall on Kris who has been staring at his phone for the entire ordeal. “OH, I KNOW WHO IT IS!” he yells, “It’s Kris, IT’S KRIS!”

Kris glances up from his phone looking somewhat offended, “What?” He looks at Baekhyun, then at Chanyeol, then back at Baekhyun, “Oh I know what this is about.” He says with a smirk before looking back down at his phone.

“I knew it.” Baekhyun says, “Krisyeol is REAL!”

“Okay, we get it,” Jongdae says flatly, “Now it’s your turn,”

“Truth or dare?” Chanyeol asks, blinking his innocent, wide eyes at him in expectation.

“Truth.” Baekhyun has always been much better at doing dares, but he’s learnt to avoid Chanyeol’s. He had once made Kyungsoo sing the entirety of what is love, transposed an octave higher, while taking a cold shower with his clothes on. Then videoed it.

“Okay, if you had to make out with someone in this room, who would it be?”

Baekhyun considers his answer for a moment. He was part of the most attractive group in kpop, so of course the topic had crossed his mind once or twice.

“Sehun.” He says bluntly.

“Me?” says Sehun, looking over from his whispered conversation with Luhan with raised eyebrows.

“Yes, you.” Baekhyun says, as he pulls his hoodie around his cheeks to conceal his blush, “Kyungsoo’s next.” The material muffles his words, but it doesn’t disguise the frustration in his voice.

“Wait, wait,” Chanyeol says, sitting bolt upright, “You’d make out with Sehun?”

Baekhyun narrows his eyes, “I guess so,” he says hesitantly, “He’s the best looking of us all.”

Sehun coughs awkwardly and glances over at Chanyeol. “Sorry hyung,” he says, shrugging his shoulders, “It’s not my fault I’m gorgeous.”

Chanyeol winks at him theatrically, “Don’t worry, I’d make out with you too.”

Sehun rolls his eyes, but is glad Chanyeol doesn’t seem to be jealous that Baekhyun picked him.

“Can we get back to the game, please?” Jongin whines, “It’s Kyungsoo’s go.”

“Fine,” Baekhyun says abruptly, startling Yixing, who is sitting directly to his left. “Truth or dare, Soo?”

“Truth.”

“I choose the same stupid question that I was asked,” Baekhyun says, sitting with his back to Chanyeol in defiance, “Which of us would you make out with?” There is no way he will let himself be the only one to answer something so awkward.

“Easy,” Kyungsoo says with a smirk, “I choose Jongin.”

Jongin squeaks in happiness and leans his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, “I choose you too, hyung.”

“Get a room.” Baekhyun says under his breath, fully intending for them to hear him.

“I think this game is getting a little out of hand,” Junmyeon warns. “Maybe we should get some sleep.”

It takes a few minutes for everyone to stop bickering, but eventually the rest of the members agree and retreat to their own dorm rooms, leaving Baekhyun and Chanyeol alone in theirs. There is an unfamiliar awkward atmosphere in their room as they sit together in the quiet. Baekhyun doesn’t like it. He storms out of his room and into Kris’, planting himself on the bed and pouting up at the tall, blonde boy in front of him.

“How long have you known that Chanyeol liked you?” He says a little too loud, “Do you like him back? Do you like someone else? Is it because you’re both tall?”

“Listen, Baek,” Kris says to interrupt the interrogation, “I honestly have no idea how to answer you.” He pauses and looks his small band mate up and down, “Here’s an idea,” he says, lips turning up at the corner slightly, “Talk to Chanyeol about it.” He pushes Baekhyun off his bed and slides under the covers, closing his eyes. “Turn the light off on your way out.”

Baekhyun trundles back to his room feeling dejected. He had thought Kris would tell him what was going on. How could he have been completely unaware that they liked each other? He opens the door to his room, now pitch black except for the faint glow of the streetlights filtering through the curtains. “You awake?” he whispers at the Chanyeol shaped mound in the bed. He doesn’t get a response. With a sigh, Baekhyun steps out of his jeans, pulls on a comfy T-shirt to sleep in and crawls into bed.

Baekhyun hears Chanyeol’s covers rustling as he rolls over. Baekhyun glances towards his roommate’s bed to see that his covers have slipped off his broad shoulders and the cold air has dotted goosebumps over the exposed skin. Baekhyun rolls back his covers and tiptoes over to Chanyeol’s bedside. He pulls the blanket up, trying not to wake him, and tucks it under his chin snugly. Chanyeol nuzzles into the warmth of the thick blanket, and a few strands of hair fall down into his face. It tickles his nose, which twitches slightly and Baekhyun chuckles as he reaches down to brush the hair off his face.

Chanyeol’s hair is much softer than he expected. It’s a faded ash brown colour at the moment, so perhaps it’s because he hasn’t bleached it in the last few months. Baekhyun combs his fingers through the hair, enjoying the way they slip through without resistance. He lets his hand move further around the back of Chanyeol’s head and his fingers touch the small curl of hair at the nape of his neck that never quite sits flat. His skin is soft and warm under Baekhyun’s palm and his hand rests there briefly, before he withdraws it, turning to find his way towards his own bed in the darkness.

He shuffles down under the blankets and sinks into the mattress, tired after a long day of hard work and confusion. The dorm is quiet now that all the other members are asleep and he can hear Chanyeol’s deep, steady breaths from the other side of the room. He tries to synchronise his own breathing to the rhythm, remembering how Chanyeol once told him it can make you fall asleep faster. He probably made it up, but it always helps to calm him down anyway.

But tonight, Baekhyun tosses and turns restlessly, unable to fall asleep. Chanyeol’s cool and silky hair is still fresh in his mind and he struggles to push it out of his thoughts. His mind is busy combing through every interaction he saw between Chanyeol and Kris over the last few weeks. Had there been any clues that they liked each other? Baekhyun hadn’t suspected it, so how did everyone else know?

He feels a twinge in his chest at the thought of the members keeping secrets. Often, the situation is reversed and they all know when two members have a crush on each other- most of the time the ones with the crush are the only two people oblivious to it. Jongin and Kyungsoo’s confession earlier that evening was the perfect example.

After what feels like hours of lying awake in bed, Baekhyun rolls over and stretches a lazy hand over to his bedside table to check the time on his phone; 4:28am.

Their schedule starts at 6am, so there’s no way he’s getting any real sleep now. He flips his covers off noisily and rolls his body off the bed. Stuffing his feet into some slippers, he shuffles out of the room toward the kitchen and flicks on the light. He rummages through the pantry until he finds his secret tin of hot chocolate that he keeps hidden at the back of the cupboard. The members have no boundaries when it comes to food, so he has it camouflaged in an old pasta box he knows no one will ever touch.

The way Baekhyun makes his hot chocolate has become a sacred routine in the dorm. He made it once for Kyungsoo on his birthday and now the members demand it on every holiday. It takes longer to make than normal hot chocolate, but everyone assures him it’s worth the effort. Baekhyun puts a small pot on the stove and fills it with one cup of milk. He then adds three teaspoons of chocolate powder and melts in a few squares of his favourite brand of milk chocolate. Tonight, Baekhyun feels like adding something extra to the recipe, so he turns down the heat on the stove and waddles back to the pantry to look for the maple syrup.

He takes a minute to find it, because someone has put it on the top shelf, far out of his reach. Kris must have used it last, stupid tall Canadians and their maple syrup. Baekhyun huffs in frustration and stands on his toes, reaching as far up as his height allows. His fingers tickle the bottom of the shelf, but the bottle is still out of his reach. Baekhyun props his knee up on one of the lower shelves and rests a little of his weight on it. It brings his hand a few centimetres closer, but it still isn’t enough. This is it, Baekhyun thinks, the universe is testing me. Taking his knee off the shelf and readjusting his pyjamas, he takes a moment to consider the best plan of action. He takes a step backwards and then rushes forward again, propelling himself towards the top shelf. His fingers hook around the neck of the bottle, bringing it down with a few other boxes and cans that were sitting beside it. The warm glow of success spreads through Baekhyun’s body as he struts back to the pot on the stove and adds a dollop of the sticky, sweet syrup to the simmering mixture. Perfect, he thinks, transferring it into a large mug once the ingredients had melted together smoothly.

“That is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen.”

Baekhyun stops dead in his tracks, his cheeks reddening as he imagines what his maple syrup ordeal must have looked like to the casual observer. Even without turning to face the intruder, he knows exactly who has interrupted his ritual; that shamelessly thunderous voice is unmistakable.

“You’re meant to be asleep,” Baekhyun snaps at Chanyeol, whirling around to face him.

“So are you,” comes Chanyeol’s blunt reply, “Yet here we are.”

Baekhyun scrunches his nose and folds his arms across his chest. “So how long have you been standing there watching?” he asks, looking at his roommate suspiciously.

“Long enough,” Chanyeol replies with a giggle, “but that doesn’t matter.” He takes a step towards Baekhyun and leans his hip against the kitchen counter, reflecting his roommate’s defiant stance. “What I want now,” he says with a smirk, “is some of that hot chocolate.”

“I only made one cup.” Baekhyun says, outraged, “Why would I give it to you?”

Chanyeol’s smirk widens into a grin as he pulls his phone out of his pocket, unlocks it and hands it to Baekhyun. “Here’s why.”

Baekhyun looks down at the phone and sees a picture of himself climbing up the pantry shelves with a large play button glowing in the middle of the screen. “YOU TOOK A VIDEO?” he shouts, not looking up from the screen as he taps around furiously, trying to find the delete button.

“Yes I did,” Chanyeol says proudly, snatching the phone out of Baekhyun’s hand, “and unless you want 5 million people seeing it on instagram, you should do exactly what I say.”

Baekhyun’s eye twitches ever so slightly, as he hands Chanyeol the mug of fresh hot chocolate reluctantly. Unlike Jongdae, Chanyeol doesn’t hold back when it comes to embarrassing the members, so Baekhyun knows he isn’t bluffing. He would post it in a heartbeat and enjoy it. Baekhyun already can’t wait for this day to end and it’s only 5am.

Chanyeol strides into the living room with hot chocolate in hand and plops himself down on the couch. He looks back at Baekhyun and motions with his free hand for him to sit beside him. Baekhyun doesn’t dare refuse so he does as he says, but keeps his arms crossed and lips pressed together in a convincing pout to make sure Chanyeol knows he doesn’t enjoy this proximity.

They sit together in an uncomfortable silence, occasionally punctuated by Chanyeol’s noisy sips from his mug, but after a few minutes, Baekhyun can no longer stand it.

“So I guess you and Kris are an item now.” He says, trying not to sound interested. He sighs and leans his head against the back of the couch sleepily. “How long has that been going on?”

Chanyeol turns and looks down at his roommate, his brow furrowed in confusion. “You’ve always been funny, Baek, but this is taking it to another level.” He chuckles and takes another indiscreet sip.

“Huh?” Baekhyun replies.

“Kris and I aren’t anything.” Chanyeol says, leaning forward to place his mug on the coffee table then turning back to Baekhyun.

“Come on, Chanyeol, I already know about it.” Baekhyun sits up again and pulls his legs onto the couch, hugging them to his chest, “You don’t have to pretend.”

Chanyeol shoves Baekhyun’s shoulder playfully, making the smaller boy rock sideways and lose his grip around his knees, “Why are you always so dense?” Chanyeol says, laughing. He places a hand on his chest and his expression turns serious, “I can honestly say that there’s nothing going on between me and Kris.” His smile returns and he picks up his mug once more, holding it tightly with both hands for warmth.

“But in the game last night, you said you had a crush.” He says, frowning.

“I did.”

“So it’s not Kris?”

“Nope.”

Baekhyun looks down at his hands, counting off each member on his fingers. “Yixing?” He says weakly.

“Nope.” Chanyeol says again, taking another sip of hot chocolate.

Baekhyun’s head droops in frustration and he wonders whether Chanyeol is just messing with him. It wouldn’t be unusual. However, his thought process is interrupted when he feels the soft warmth of a hand under his chin, tilting his face upwards until his eyes meet Chanyeol’s. The taller boy’s expression is different, more peaceful than usual. Baekhyun watches him, observing the perfect curve of his smooth, pink lips and the way his wide eyes flutter shut instinctively as he leans forward towards him. Baekhyun can’t tell if the warm air that tickles his cheek is Chanyeol’s heated breath or steam from the hot chocolate that is still clutched to his chest. Chanyeol slides his hand upwards and rests it behind Baekhyun’s neck to pull them closer together, closing the distance between their lips. At the warmth of the touch, Baekhyun’s eyes fall shut and he reaches up to place a hand on Chanyeol’s arm, steadying himself.

The kiss is nothing like Baekhyun imagined. He always assumed that being with another member would feel urgent and dangerous, but this is slow and temperate, more so than he ever could have hoped. It feels as if they have all the time in the world. Chanyeol pulls away from the kiss, but continues to hold Baekhyun’s face, his thumb gently his flushed cheek.

“Does that answer your question?” Chanyeol says, moving his hand to brush some stray strands of hair out of Baekhyun’s face.

Baekhyun says nothing for a moment, still in a state of disbelief, but he remembers the smooth, wet touch of Chanyeol’s lips on his and smiles. “It does.”

Chanyeol takes another long sip of the hot chocolate before he asks the question he has wanted to know the answer to for quite some time now. He looks down, unable to hold Baekhyun’s gaze. “Do you…” he begins, “have a crush on me too?”

Baekhyun chuckles and places a hand on Chanyeol’s thigh reassuringly, “I think I always have.”

Chanyeol lifts his gaze to Baekhyun’s once more and grins. This time, Baekhyun initiates the kiss, as he slides his arms around Chanyeol’s neck and pulls him forward eagerly. Chanyeol shuffles himself closer, pulling Baekhyun into his lap, still holding the mug and trying not to spill its contents all over the both of them.

They hear the door click behind them, and pull away from the kiss to turn towards the interruption, but don’t move away from each other. Sehun trudges into the room, still half asleep, and lowers himself into the beanbag beside their couch. He eyes the couple knowingly. “Wow,” he says flatly, “took you guys long enough.”