In His Memory

In His Memory

 

As she kneeled down, she felt her eyelids slowly forming  tears, she slowly put the flowers down. She just couldn't bear to look down, at least not yet. She's been doing it for years but the mere place around her just brings her back to where it all started. 
 
As she looked around, she saw a bird hovering above her, as if adding to the peace of the place. Around her are trees growing with age through times but, nevertheless, still familiar and inviting. The misty wind blowing against her face was also too comfortable. Even the sky was too overwhelming with the sun shining brightly and streaks of rainbow vaguely seen. The grass beneath her was all too welcoming that even her tears couldn't escape going to them. 
 
However, she knew, once and for all, that the place will never be as homey as it looked, at least not after the painful incident. 
 
She used to love the place together with Minho despite the warnings and the hate the place gets. She used to care only on the fact that  she's with Minho at their favorite place, when they are. They used to be so happy in the place, that same place people either fear, despise or ignore. 
 
She heard the soft rustle of leaves around her and it definitely triggered something in her memory, in her heart. 
 
As the sound of the leaves begin to cloud her ears, her whole being began to travel to her very own memory lane. 
 
Slowly, her vision changed into two little teenagers. Both of whom was riding one motor bike.
 
Pure contentment could be seen through their eyes. No one could deny the happiness in their smiles despite the fact that they are in a cemetery.
 
The both of them, they didn't care about being stereotypical and belonging to the society. All they know and believe is that the place gave them the very reason to find meaning in life, which is being solely with each other And residing with that, nothing else had mattered then. That is until Minho encountered an accident.
 
She remembered, there was clear daylight back then, very much like what it shows at the present. Even the wind is likely the same. It was at the same date, after all, and not even time could change the course of nature. But unlike now, her grief hasn't turned up yet at that moment. At least not after Minho began to suddenly command her.
 
"Yoona, close your eyes." he told her. She thought it was a little odd and his voice seemed shaky but she obeyed nonetheless. 'Oppa is always brave.' She had insisted on calling him oppa even though she is older, for the other always protected her.
 
"Now, cover your ears." Once again, she followed his order although she had an inkling that something was wrong. 'But no, I trust my oppa.'
 
"And now, jump." This time, she hesitated for a while. But before she had decided on anything, she felt herself being pushed away. 
 
Before she knew it, she is already on the ground and her oppa is too. Except that, Minho is bleeding. His motor bike about a meter away from him and who seemed like a truck driver was hovering above him.
 
A little dizzy from the fall, she slowly got up and made her way to Minho. 
 
As she neared, she heard the truck driver apologizing over and over. And when Minho nodded, although a little panicked, he got up and spoke through the phone.
 
"Yoona." Minho called. When Yoona saw her dearest friend's state, grief started to come to her and tears sprang to her eyes. "Take care, okay? Oppa can't do that for you anymore so be careful. Promise me now, Im Yoona. Be strong."
 
"I-i promi-ise o-oppa." she managed to say between sobs. Her young mind didn't completely understand what is happening but somehow, she knew that his words hold deep meaning. 
 
And beyond that, the both of them knew how they really feel for each other. Even youthful hearts know the right time to beat. No words needs to be said but just a soulful connection can let two persons know that they, in fact, live for each other. That was why even in the midst of last moment goodbyes, no one bothered to speak their hearts. At the back of their minds, they know that this will be the last time they'll see each other through their own eyes but that wouldn't stop the two of their forever. As of now, though, all they can do is hug each other as tight as they could but time will come that they'll be together. Probably in the next life or a thousand more lives, nobody knows for sure. All they know and are sure of is that it will happen, it has to. 
 
All moments last, though. People finally came and yanked them off of each other because Minho finally lost consciousness and everyone knew he would never gain it back. It was a simple fact.
 
Yoona, on the other hand, wiped her tears and stood strongly. She went and found Minho's older brother and asked him a favor.
 
"Siwon-ssi, I know your family doesn't originally live in this town but I think Minho would prefer to be buried here." she told him solemnly but with confidence.
 
Siwon thought for a while and nodded. "Yeah, I would try my best to convince my parents."
 
Yoona could only smile back and mutter a thank you before finally turning away.
 
"Oh, and Yoona-ssi?" he called. When she looked back, he said, "take care, okay? You owe it to my brother to do it."
 
"I know." she said back then and to herself at the moment after shedding a final tear.
 
That day when Minho had the accident, it was the first time the both of them rode the motor bike together. Because before that, they used to ride simple bicycles around the place.
 
That taught her that she would never really like change. However, fate sometimes has a funny way of turning things around. For most of the times in our lives, irony stands beside fate to let us realize the right thing.
 
"Yoona? I think it's time to go." A man with big, bright eyes and a mysterious aura appeared.
 
"Wait for a while. I'm gonna introduce you." she said as she dragged him to the grave.
 
"Minho, here's Gunwoo, the other man I love." she told the grave as the said man held her hand. The words she had spoken contains truth in them but she knew deep inside her that Minho will always hold the largest part in her heart. Though she loved Gunwoo, she knew that no one could ever replace her Minho. However, Gunwoo will be there for her but Minho will just always be part of a distant memory and of her past in this life.
 
As she saw Gunwoo bow, she felt a presence around her. It was as if Minho is telling her, he approves of Gunwoo. And with that, the both of them headed towards the car. 
 
When Yoona looked around, he spotted Minho's older brother who gave her a thumbs up. And with that, she knew she is right. Minho does approve. She went on to Gunwoo and happily paced to the car with two men in her heart. 
 
Each of them held different parts of her. And though unequal, sometimes you have to let go of the one who has the largest because maybe, just maybe, the space is enough. And the tinier one needed more attention to finally find what heart deserves.
 
Minho had the larger share but his time is up. Gunwoo is the one standing beside her now and probably, someday after Minho, just Gunwoo will be enough.
 
 

A/N: So there you go. I am really nervous. I don't know what you think about this. And I am sorry about Minho's death. I still consider MinYoon as the main pairing here, though.

This is unbeta-ed