Just One Day

Just One Day

"Y/n remember to book your 14th of February this year!" Jimin shouts across the hallway of our school before our last lesson when he is several meters away making everyone stare and coo. I do not really dislike being looked at but the whole hallway is maybe too much. I feel my face becoming surprisingly hot for a winter day and mentally scold my boyfriend for putting me in such an embarrassing situation. I know he did it on purpose yet I find it pretty cute that he wants everyone to know we are dating. It has been a bit less than a year now and I could not ask for a more perfect relationship.

I can't concentrate for the rest of the day, too excited for our first Valentine's Day as a couple. When the bell rings I have already packed all my books and I am rushing to the front gate to meet my boyfriend. As usual he is waiting for me against the wall in his typical cool pose.

"You could have asked me out a bit more discreetly earlier!" I scold him with a smile. He gives me a peck on the cheek and replies

"It would not have been funny. Is it wrong to be proud that you are mine?"

"No of course not." I blush and grab his hand to walk home.

"Is there anything I am supposed to do for this special day?" I add. He shakes his head.

"Nothing. Just be at my house Friday 13th at 7pm and bring your pyjamas. That's all."

I look at him disbelievingly but ask nothing, I know he will not give out more details from now on. So I just smile to myself and whisper "Thank you."

 

Eight days have passed and I could not get any hint about Jimin's plans for Valentine's Day.

Today is The Friday.

I wake up with a smile plastered on my face and my heart is fluttering so much in excitement that I wonder if it would fly away if it wasn't inside my ribcage. I get ready, pack my bag for the evening and leave.

Spending six hours inside the school walls have never felt any longer in my life. I catch myself checking the time twice in the same minute and my friend Emily has to stop me from clicking my pen uncontrollably to not disturb the lesson.

At noon I am surprised to find a card in my locker. It is a simple square white card with Jimin's chibi face -surely drawn by his best friend Jungkook- holding a bouquet of roses on the front and inside a simple sentence: "If I were to spend just one day with you, this is how I want it to be." written in gold ink.

These words make me smile. Just One Day have been our song even when we were only friends. We both really love this song, its melody and its lyrics but I never expected Jimin to use it as a guideline for a date.

‘Anyways I will have to pack a couple of more stuff if it will last a day.’ I tell myself putting the card inside my backpack while walking to the cafeteria.

As my group of seven friends is unusually nowhere to be found settle my tray next to two of my classmates. The conversation is mainly focused on each other's plans for the weekend. It turns out me and Emily will be both spending the day with our dates but Anna decided to sulk couples and stay in bed all day "because my cat and my laptop are the only lovers I need."

 

During the afternoon lessons my mind wanders everywhere from magical places which would be perfect to spend a date to the outfit I will wear tomorrow. Depending on where we go and what we will do I can't wear the same clothes. Giving up on trying to guess what my imaginative and creative boyfriend might have put up I send him a text on my way back. I receive his answer just on time when I reach my front door.

‘Choose anything you want it doesn't matter. I know you will look cute anyways.’

I shake my head and chuckle. Sometimes he can be really cheesy but he knows I like it.

The following thirty minutes I delve among my whole wardrobe in search of something tempting to wear but nothing catches my eye. I who thought I had plenty of clothes, they don't seem inspiring at the moment.

If somebody have told me a couple of years ago that I would be spending this 14th of February with the boy I used to only see in my wildest dreams I definitely would have laughed hard. This day is really important and I do not want anything to ruin it.

In the end I settle my choice on a pair of high-waisted jeans with a white t-shirt tucked in it and a black and red flannel over everything for the evening and because I want to wear something really different on D-day I pack a fluffy white sweater, a dark red flowing skirt along with black tights and white leg warmers to match the top. I look at my reflection in the mirror.

'Hair check, clothes check, smile check, I think I have everything.'

I exhale deeply and sit on my bed waiting for the time to leave. I can't help a smile creeping on my face every time I think of my upcoming day. It sounds so magical when I hear couples talking about their dates and I can't believe it is my turn now. I can't believe I met such an amazing boy with whom I share so much in common and I can't believe he chose me for who I am.

Forty-five minutes before leaving my phone rings. It's Anna.

"Hello?"

"Y/n I am with Emily we thought you would like to talk before your date."

"Hahaha girls you are amazing" I laugh "I would love to."

"Are you ready?" I hear Emily's voice in the back.

"Yes I think so."

"Like totally ready? Ready to blind Jimin with your perfection? Ready to engrave this day in his memory forever?" Anna jokes, which make me laugh again.

"Well I have my outfit, my pyjamas and my toothbrush. But I don't know if I can bring my teddy bear and I figured out sleeping at a boy's place is not like a sleepover with girls. I am so stressed I don't know if-"

"T-t-t stop it, Emily cuts me in midsentence, there is nothing different about sleeping in both cases. Plus he is your boyfriend, you don't have to worry about anything. He is not your crush or somebody you barely know. And for the teddy bear leave it at home, you don't want your boyfriend to be jealous of you spending the night with somebody else than him in your arms. And it's too much to carry."

"Yeah you are surely right."

"'Course I am." she scoffs. "Now let's focus back on your outfit. What did you choose?"

I describe them my clothes.

"Mmm yeah sounds good" Anna judges "and your makeup?"

"What? Which makeup?"

"Are you kidding me?! Emily's voice rings in the phone, you didn't plan on wearing makeup?!"

"Uh not really, I barely wear makeup normally."

"But this is not a normal day y/n. This is the best occasion to wear makeup don't miss it!"

"You think?"

"Yes I do. Now pick your makeup and let's turn you into the most beautiful person he will ever see."

And with that I spend the following 30 minutes fighting with my eyeliner in the washroom. I feel somehow relieved when I send my friends another picture and receive their approval. I chose a simple style, a black eyeliner with a little wing at the end of my eyes to make them look like I am smiling, mascara and a cherry lipstick that goes very well with my flannel. I even smudged a tiny amount on my cheeks to make them look like they are blushing, a trick Emily taught me just today. All in all I am very happy of the way I look, the black around my eyes complimenting their colour and the red lipstick giving me a seductive look. But now I am nearly late! I run to my room, stuff my makeup and a pink lipstick for tomorrow's outfit in the pocket of my bag, a last glance to make sure I have everything and throw it on my shoulder. While I put my shoes on my mom comes to kiss me.

"You look amazing." she compliments me. "I am so happy for you my sweetie."

"Mom I will be late!"

"Okay okay goodbye." she laughs and kisses my forehead. 

Thank you mom. See you tomorrow!" I add from the front door. A last wave and I am on my way.

 

I check my phone: 6:53 pm, I am a bit late but still on time. I plug my earphones and click on "Just One Day". Since Jimin decided to use this song's lyrics as quote on the card I want to fit the mood. I close my eyes for a second, enjoying the fresh air on my cheeks. I feel so light.

Half way there I receive an incoming text from Anna that says "Good luck 🍀👍🏻".

I smile and thank them.

When I finally reach Jimin's house my heartbeat accelerates. I suddenly find it hard to lift my hand to ring the bell. I take a deep breath but the door opens just at this right moment.

 

"Hello princess!" a grinning Jimin welcomes me "You look stunning." His compliment makes my tummy bubble.

"Thank you I wanted to try something new."

"Well you made the right choice." he replies taking my hand and pulling me inside.

I have been to his house several times already and I really like it. The first floor is barely closed, the living room communicating with the kitchen making the room look wide and clear. I always feel at my ease here.

"Can I take your coat princess?"

"Ah yes thank you." I hand him my coat. 

"I have something for you." I say while digging in my bag.

I have told nobody about this present, not even his friends. I don't really know why but I wanted it to be some kind of secret between us two. And I know people will be aware soon or later anyways.

"You shouldn't have sweetie, I didn't ask for anything."

"I know but I wanted to. I never asked you to invite me you know."

"Haha right."

Here it is. I pull out the square box from the bottom of the bag. Fortunately it isn't damaged. The gold ribbon is a bit flat but I tug on it a little and it comes back in place. I look at my boyfriend standing in front of me. He looks so handsome but I can't tell why. It surely isn't his eyeliner because he has been wearing it all the time, making the whole school talk about it for months after he arrived. Perhaps it is his shinning chocolate brown hair that looks even softer than usual. Or his outfit. He is wearing his favourite sleeveless t-shirt, the one I prefer because when he bends I can get a glimpse of his abs along with fitted jeans. It's not something extraordinary but I love it.

"Stop staring at me I am getting uncomfortable." Jimin teases.

Oh no now my cheeks are burning again. I look downward and move my hands with the box to the side.

"Then you won't have your present."

"Okay okay sorry, you can stare at me as much as you want!" he laughs.

"It's not enough."

"What do you want?"

"Won't you kiss me hello?! I haven't seen you in 24 hours and you don't kiss me? Where were you anyways today? I missed you." I pout shooting him my best puppy look.

I simply adore his smile when I do that. He is so adorable with his eyes closed because of his smile and his cheeks all puffy.

He messes my hair and replies

"Ah sorry, I knew I had to inform you but the guys told me not to. You will see later why. Now come here." he says pulling me closer by the waist.

I close my eyes and melt once again on his plump lips. Jimin's kisses can make me forget all my worries and cure all my wounds.

"Better?" he smiles.

I smile back and nod, finally handing him the box. I follow him as he takes place onto the cream couch his eyes scanning his present like a little boy. Once we are comfortably snuggled up in the pillows Jimin starts untying the bow and unwrapping the paper a questioning expression on his face. He barely ever asks for something so he is surely curious at what I could have found for him. And to tell the truth I really struggled with this present. I had a precise idea of what I was looking for since a good amount of time but finding it was so hard I was close to give up at one point. And since I bought us couple sweaters and caps with each other's name on it at Christmas I could not go for something couple related this time too. But according to my partner's expression I found the right present. At this right moment I can't get enough of his rather larger than usual eyes, his slightly open lips and his frozen face. He looks so cute, just like a child who just saw Santa Claus in person. When he lifts his face to look at me in the eyes I think I could not repress my giggles any longer. It feels so good, so relieving to see this expression of utter surprise on his adorable chubby face.

"You-you didn't..." are the only words he can articulate.

"Haha yes I did. I have to admit it was hard to find them but I did." I chuckle.

"For real...?"

"Of course for real! I would not print fake VIP gold passes for BigBang's concert! I am not that evil."

I let out a squirm at my boyfriend's sudden weight on me. He is hugging me so tight I can bet my bones are on the verge of breaking but it doesn't matter. All that matters is his nose buried in my neck, his hair tickling my cheek and his hands strongly gripping my shirt.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou sweetie!!" he whines, his voice muffled on my skin. Or is it because of tears? I can't really tell so I just smile and caress his head.

"It's the least I could do for you. Although to tell you all the truth I fear of Jungkook's jealousy right now." I smile.

A chuckle erupts from somewhere around my shoulder and Jimin's back jumps a little. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. An almond scent fills my nostrils, soothing me. I could stay like that forever, filling my lungs with this wonderful smell and my loved one hugging me silently.

I am starting to drift into a sleepy mode when Jimin suddenly stands up, his arms supporting his weigh above me. I groan a little at the sudden emptiness around me.

"Were you falling asleep?" Jimin asks.

"Not really." I reply keeping my eyes closed.

"Hey wake up! We haven't started our programme yet!" he shakes me.

"Okay okay chimchim I am awake you can stop now!"

"Great because I have tons of things prepared!" he states getting up and holding my hand to get me up.

"Oh and by the way" he bends and kisses me smoothly "thank you so much, for the present, for being here, for everything. You have no idea how happy I am now."

His lips curl in a sweet smile. I smile back

"I am happy too. Now let's go!" I leap on my feet.

"What do we do?"

"Come with me" he replies and without any other words he takes me to the back door in the garden. The night has completely fallen so I can only guess shapes of the trees and bushes boarding the garden in the dark. It is not too cold. The light from the house sends squares of light on the soft grass, just enough for us to see what is two meters around us but as long as Jimin holds my hand I trust him.

He stops in the middle of the grass on a patch of light.

"Please sit down, I want to show you something."

I do as told and comfortably sit on the floor facing the house while Jimin runs back to the house.

A second later music starts playing from the stereo. It is a catchy hip hop song that makes my shoulders move almost as soon as it starts. I see my boyfriend running back to me and stopping in front of me his back facing the house. He stays still for a couple of seconds but once a new sentence of the song starts he begins dancing a choreography I never saw and it is mesmerizing. Enhanced by the light wrapping his dark shape in front of the house, his movements are smooth, regular and almost unreal. The way his body glides in the air, the way he knows exactly what to do and the way he dances with the music, not on but with, is taking my breath away. I cannot really see his face but that is what adds a final touch of mysterious perfection to the dance. I don't know how long he trained for this dance but knowing him he might have spent hours and hours perfecting every details. And it is pure perfection. As a bad dancer I have always admired people who has such control and coordination over their own bodies. It seems so unreal to me but so easy for him, as if he had done this all his life - which he pretty much did. The beat ends and so does the dance with it.

Jimin stops. He is panting a little bit. I stand up and join him.

"This was amazing I am really proud of you. You surely worked for days on this didn't you?" I ask him while taking his hands in mine.

"Two hours every day for three weeks to be precise." he chuckles "was it worth it?"

"Totally! I was dumbfounded by your performance."

"Hehe great." he smiles and ruffles my hair a bit.

"I wish I had recorded it." I pout.

"Don't worry I can do it again anytime you want." he winks. 

We remain silent for a minute or two, enjoying each other's presence and the silence that is wrapping around us in the night.

That is until Jimin lets go of my hands and raises a finger.

"Wait a minute I have something for you."

"What?! Again! But this was already eno-" but Jimin has already disappeared into the house again.

"Aish this kid. He really loves surprises."

 

Suddenly, my eyes enlarge and a short intake parts my lips. All around me dozens of multicolours lanterns, lightbulbs and flowers are lighting up one by one. The garden is soon covered by lamps of different colours that gives off a dreamy vibe. Pastel lanterns are hanging in the tree, soft white little bubbles are illuminating the sides of the grass along with random lights here and there in the flowers. It is simply magical. As if little fairies slowly awoke in the vegetation to fly under the stars while everybody is asleep.

Thankfully in February the night is already dark enough in the evening to make every single light bright at its best.

I stare at the scenery in awe until a soft and slow tune reaches my ears, coming from the same point as the hip hop song did.

Jimin has now joined me and before I can gather enough thoughts to ask a question he simply takes my right hand in his and let his own right hand reach for my waist. He pulls my body ever so slightly against his. Slowly but steadily his feet guide mine and I am soon waltzing on the soft grass, eyes glued to his dark glittering pupils. They are looking at me so lovingly the bubble sensation in my stomach is coming back. I thought I knew everything about him but it is as if I am discovering him and falling in love all over again. I can never get enough of this eye smile, those smirking lips and this chubby yet handsome face.

As we move in circles in the garden I feel my weight lifting up, everything seems so light, so distant. I am even starting to wonder if we are not dancing on a cloud since our movements are smooth, swift, almost floating above the grass. In other conditions I would surely have tripped or stiffened but there is something so reassuring in those firm hands leading me that everything have left my mind and I can only see what is before my eyes, feel the excitement and hear the music. The happiness is overcoming me and soon a sincere smile spreads on my cheeks. A grin that turns into laughs of pure joy and bliss seeing my boyfriend's eyes gleaming in contentment too. I bend my head backwards, turning my face to the sliver moon and letting my hair follow the breeze. Jimin's hand leave mine to place it on mu other hip allowing me to spin under the night. The last notes flutter under the sky before fading away, leaving only the silence.

I allow my eyelids to drop, engraving this moment in my memory.

My arms reach for his neck and close the gap between our bodies in a tight and loving hug. My nose has found his favourite place again just under his ear and his jawline which does not disturb Jimin at all, allowing his to dig into my hair. He softly hums, holding tight onto my waist.

"Should we go inside make dinner now?" he whispers very low in my ear.

"Mmmm wait a second." I back up a little and look at him. "I wanted to thank you. This was magical, I didn't know I could waltz. And the feeling... It was so good." I tell him looking a little away.

A pure and honest smile spreads on his features. He lifts a finger to push my chin back to its first position and simply but delicately kiss me. And once again I melt in another world.

"Is this what you were preparing with the boys and the reason why you missed a whole day of school?" I ask once my mind focuses back on all the little lights surrounding both of us.

"Haha yes, Jimin replies sheepishly. But don't worry, I won't do it again!" He panics a bit.

"If it is for such sweet things you are forgiven." I reassure him. Jimin used to cut school a lot before he would be transferred to our school. He would hang out with his friends instead of studying because he was smart enough to succeed without working. But since the day we both became friends I seriously made him understand that I disagreed with his nasty habit and he stopped. So I am relieved he is not keeping up with his past mischiefs.

I softly smile in my thoughts. Sometimes it looks so insane to me that I got to cross roads with my soulmate. I never feel more at home with him than any other time, even when I am surrounded by my family.

After a moment we both return inside to prepare homemade hamburgers in the kitchen. A large variety of ingredients are finely chopped and settled on different boards for us to cook our own dish. After half an hour of tossing cucumber cubes in each other mouth and grilling the steaks in the pan the dinner is finally ready. I just wait for the fries to become gold and crusty in the oven by picking some films. This will be a night for only us two because Jimin's parents are out at a restaurant for Valentine's Day. When we are settled on a couple of films and changed to our pyjamas Jimin brings the large tray with the burgers, the fries, two glasses of fruit juice and a massive bowl of sugar coated popcorn and place it on the table. I get comfortable on the sofa under the fluffy blanket my back resting to his torso and his arms circling my waist. I feel so protected, so safe when he holds me like that.

The dinner goes on smoothly but by the time the third movie starts all the plates are empty and even the two little chocolate fondants with cookie ice cream have been devoured. Feeling deliciously full I start falling asleep carried away by the warmth surrounding me and before I can realised it I am fast asleep.

My gaze is stuck on her sleeping figure, a loving smile widely spread on my face. I think I could stay like that for hours just looking at her peaceful features, her feather like lashes, her soft lips and her smooth cheeks but my eyes are starting to close themselves too. I turn the film off, readjust the blanket and let myself fall into a deep slumber as well.