Behind His Back

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin walked out of the bathroom smoothing out her ‘I Love Appa’ shirt. It was three sizes too big, well on purpose, because of her belly. She had put on black sheer stockings and let the shirt work off as a dress.

 

"Do I have to wear this?”

 

Somin smiled at Hyunjoong. He was holding up the matching shirt that read ‘I Love Umma’ with a disgruntled expression on his face.

 

“Come on just do it,” She went around him and pushed him towards the bathroom. “Don’t try to get out of it.” She closed the door behind him.

 

As she waited for him to change, Somin scurried downstairs to find a camera. This would be a perfect picture moment for their parents. They were dieing to have a picture of them anyways. She found the camera in her office and went back upstairs to find Hyunjoong coming out of the bathroom.

 

He hesitantly walked up to her. “I look like an idiot.”

 

Somin chuckled. “Pink looks nice on you,” She held up the camera in her hands. “Let’s take a picture for our parents.”

 

They went downstairs together. They both decided that the living room would be the best place to take the picture. Hyunjoong began to set the camera up on the tripod as Somin fixed the couch.

 

“Ready?”

 

Somin quickly sat on the couch. Hyunjoong quickly sat beside her. He put his arm around her shoulder and they posed the peace sign.

 

Click!

 

Hyunjoong sprang up from his seat to check the picture. He smiled. “It’s good.”

 

They did a couple more when suddenly Somin’s phone began to ring. She excused herself and answered it in her office. “You got it Yoomi?”

 

“Yup, name, number, address, job, and even citizenship papers. What do you want me to do now Somin?”

 

“Good. Call him and set up a place for us to meet,” replied Somin.

 

“What if he doesn’t come?” asked Yoomi.

 

“Then make up something Yoomi! I don’t have time, Hyunjoong’s still at home. Can I trust you?”

 

“Yes,” said Yoomi with assurance. “I’ll pick you up in an hour.”

 

Somin hung up the phone and returned to the living room. She found Hyunjoong going through the pictures in the camera. Somin sat beside him and peered over his shoulder to evaluate the pictures as well.

 

“I like this one,” He said showing her the picture clearer. His arm was around her and their heads were touching. The light from outside hit their faces perfectly.

 

“I like it too,” Somin agreed. “Let’s send one to your parents and my parents.”

 

Hyunjoong chuckled. “Our moms will love this.”

 

“How much you want to bet that they’ll make duplicates and hang it all over the house?”

 

They laughed. Hyunjoong stood up and gave the camera to Somin. “I have work in thirty minutes. Do you have any plans today?”

 

Somin shrugged. “I’m going to stay home. Maybe even clean for a little bit.”

 

“Don’t do that,” gently scolded Hyunjoong. “The last time you did, you spent the whole night complaining about your back.”

 

“Fine, fine I won’t. You’ll just have to clean the house later then.” Somin said as she relaxed into the couch with a playful grin.

 

“You wish,” He smirked at her. “I’m going to head upstairs and get ready. I’m dieing to take off this shirt.”

 

“I dare you to wear that shirt for the rest of the day!” proposed Somin. “I bet you won’t.”

 

Hyunjoong didn’t respond to her and instead began walking up the stairs and into the bathroom to shower and change for work. As soon as his back turned around the corner, Somin took out her cell phone to call Yoomi back. She had to make sure that everything was set.

 

Once Yoomi confirmed with her, Somin decided to make lunch for Hyunjoong. She went to the kitchen and began her preparations. It had been quite a while since she last cooked and that was around the time her and Hyunjoong first moved into the house. She decided to make simple kimbap and rice rolls.

 

Thirty minutes later, Somin heard Hyunjoong’s footsteps descend from the stairs. She turned to look at him and upon seeing him laughed whole heartedly. As he was buttoning up a gray cardigan, Somin could see the obvious pink color of the t-shirt peeking through.

 

“You’re actually wearing it,” She said as she approached him at the bottom of the stairs. She held out the lunchbox she made for him. “Wah, Kim Hyunjoong you surprise me everyday.”

 

He took the lunchbox from her. “What do I get if I win the bet?”

 

“Mmmm,” She thought for a moment. “Just tell me what you want and I’ll do it.”

 

“Promise?” Hyunjoong held his pinky out to her.

 

Somin interlocked her pinky with his. “Promise. Now get going or else you’ll be late.”

 

Hyunjoong brushed past her and began putting on his shoes by the doorway. “I’ll be home in a couple of hours so you won’t be bored later on. Don’t get into any trouble while I’m gone.”

 

Somin rolled her eyes. “I won’t. Bye!”

 

“Bye,”

 

Once she heard the door click close, Somin rushed upstairs to change and get ready for the meet.

 

...........................................

 

An hour later, Yoomi and Somin arrived outside of a restaurant. As they enter, Somin looked around the room and immediately spoted the person she was looking for. They caught each others eyes and she smiled at him. He immediately stood up and motioned for her to come and sit.

 

“Hello,” Somin greeted as she walked up to the table.

 

“Somin, it’s been a long time. The last time I saw you was when Hyunjoong got drunk. So you’re the one that asked for this meet up. I’m assuming,” He pointed at Yoomi. “That you were the one that I talked to on the phone earlier.”

 

Yoomi bowed her head. “Hello, I’m Yang Yoomi.”

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Han Jinho. So Somin, I never got to thank you for that night you took care of Hyunjoong. He was really out of control that night.”

 

Somin nodded. “Yeah I know, bringing him home was a disaster.”

 

Jinho nodded. “So, what is it that you wanted to talk about?”

 

“Okay, well I’ll get to the point. I want to ask you who Maerin is.”

 

“Park Maerin?” Jinho leaned back in his seat. “You don’t know who she is?”

 

Somin shook her head. “Hyunjoong won’t talk to me about her.”

 

“Somin, what is your relationship with Hyunjoong?”

 

“Again with this question Jinho,” said Somin with a sigh. “We are nothing more than friends.”

 

“Are you sure about that?” He said indicating her pregnancy.

 

She protectively put her hand over her belly. “Yes I am.”

 

He sighed. “Alright I’ll tell you who Maerin is. She was Hyunjoong’s girlfriend. I can honestly say he really loved her and thought seriously of her. The night I called you to pick Hyunjoong up he kept saying how he had gotten into a big fight and made a huge mistake. He kept saying all of it was a mistake. I don’t know what exactly he was talking about but I assumed it had something to do with Maerin. When I was looking for her number on his phone it was gone. The last call he made was to you.” Jinho picked up his glass of water and took a sip. “The next day I called Maerin up and she confirmed that they had broken up. Hyunjoong and Maerin were attached to each other like glue. So you can imagine our shock when we heard they were over.”

 

“Do you know what the mistake is?” asked Somin.

 

Jinho shook his head. “I can only assume that the mistake is breaking up with her but when I kept asking him what the mistake was he just kept saying a big mistake, a really stupid one.”

 

Somin nodded. So Maerin was his ex-girlfriend. It would explain why she was at the park that day. But what was this mistake? “Thanks Jinho for telling me.”

 

“No problem. A friend of Hyunjoong’s is a friend of mine.” He leaned in closer towards Somin. “But are you sure you two are just friends?”

 

“Yes Jinho. We’re just friends.”

 

“Okay, okay.” He put his hands up in defeat. “You’re just friends.”

 

Suddenly, Somin’s message tone from her phone went off. She scrambled around her bag for her phone and opened it. As she read the text message, her eyes grew wider and wider. “Yoomi!” She showed her phone to her.

 

Once Yoomi read it she looked at Somin with worried eyes. “Yah, what are you going to do?”

 

Confused Jinho asked, “What is it?”

 

I want to meet you tomorrow. –Maerin’

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Shown here, one can see that weekly reservations have gone up since the commercial was produced. Presidential suites are being check out more than our regular rooms and customers are enjoying the free services that come along with our Presidential suite package.”

 

Hyunjoong stared at the flow chart in front of him. Him and twenty other stock holders of the hotel were forced to sit for another hour discussing how sales have either gone up or down. This was what Hyunjoong hated the most. Sitting around in meetings. Bored, he looked down at his shirt and smiled to himself. It was just like Somin to make him do crazy things.

 

“And that concludes the meeting—“

 

Before anyone could say another thing Hyunjoong dashed out the room and into his office. He settled into his large office chair and leaned back in comfort.

 

A knock on the door awoken Hyunjoong out of his comfort and told whoever it was to come in.

 

“Sir, its lunch time,” said his assistant. “Would you like me to order something?”

 

Hyunjoong shook his head remembering the packed lunch Somin had given him in the morning. “Its okay, you go ahead and order yourself lunch.”

 

“Yes sir.” She bowed her head and closed the door behind her.

 

Hyunjoong reached under his desk and produced the lunch box. As he opened it he smiled to himself. It was a simple lunch box with kimbap and rice rolls but it smelled so delicious.

 

As he ate, his secretary came in. “What are you doing here? Go and eat—“

 

“You have a call from Han Jinho. He said whatever it is you’ll just have to stop doing.”

 

Hyunjoong chuckled. He put the phone on speaker as he ate. “Thanks, I got it from here. Hello? Hey Jinho! What’s up?”

 

“Want to go out and drink tonight?” asked Jinho. “It’s been a while since we have.”

 

“Oh, maybe next time Jinho,” replied Hyunjoong.

 

“Why? Are you going home to Somin tonight?” teased Jinho.

 

“Somin? How do you know about Somin?”

 

“Wow you must have been really drunk. She brought you home that night remember? Where you drank every single shot as if it was water? Remember?”

 

Hyunjoong laughed. “Yes I remember. But Jinho she’s just my friend.”

 

“The both of you are exactly the same. I’m not stupid Hyunjoong, she’s your girlfriend. When I met her today she looked big. Are you the dad Hyunjoong?”

 

“Wait a minute, you met Somin today?” asked Hyunjoong. “When? Why?”

 

“She called me and asked me to meet with her. She asked me about Maerin and I told her. Look don’t get upset that I told her about it. But she deserves to know about Maerin sometime…”

 

“No she doesn’t!” yelled Hyunjoong. “What is wrong with you Jinho?”

 

“She was concerned about you Hyunjoong!” retorted Jinho. “She cares about you!”

 

“I don’t care if she cares about me or not. You never talk about my past to her ever again.”

 

“Hyunjoong, was the big mistake you kept talking about that night Somin?”

 

“Jinho!”

 

“No really Hyunjoong. I’m asking you for real. Was Somin a mistake?”

 

Hyunjoong sighed. “Yes, she was a mistake. Everything about her was a mistake. She’s the reason why I broke up with Maerin okay? ”

 

“Hyunjoong…”

 

Hyunjoong looked up. Staring straight at him was Somin. “Somin…what are you doing here?”

 

“I went out with Yoomi for a little bit and we were near by so I thought I would stop by.” Somin began retreating away from the doorway. “You look busy so I’m going to leave.” She sharply turned around and began walking out.

 

“God Jinho, I get in trouble every time I talk to you.” He quickly hung up on him and began chasing after Somin. “Somin, wait!”

 

He had missed her as she went into the elevator. Hyunjoong slammed the elevator doors and began pressing the button repeatedly until the elevator doors opened again. He entered and pressed the main lobby button.

 

Seconds later, he found Somin just about to leave the hotel. “Somin!”

 

She stopped in her tracks and turned around. He ran up to her and grabbed her by the shoulders. “Where are you going?”

 

“Home,” She said. “I have some things to do.”

 

“Look I’m sorry Somin I—“

 

She shook her head. “Stop, its fine.”

 

“It’s not fine I said something I shouldn’t have and—“

 

She took his hands off her shoulders. “But you said it anyways. I knew I was a mistake already Hyunjoong. This whole me being pregnant, was a mistake. I know that. But being with you for these past couple months made me think that me being pregnant with your baby is okay now. That it’ll be fine. But if you really think that way, then it’s fine with me. It was my fault that you broke up with the love of your life.”

 

Hyunjoong could feel his anger rise. “I didn’t want you to know about Maerin and yet you went out and talked to Jinho and asked about her behind my back! Why couldn’t you leave that matter alone?!”

 

“I just wanted to know Hyunjoong! You wouldn’t tell me!”

 

“That is my business Somin. I have the right to tell you about it or not. I chose not to!”

 

Hyunjoong could see tears begin to form in Somin’s eyes. “Everything’s my entire fault right?”

 

“Somin…” Hyunjoong let out a deep sigh.

 

She lifted her hand to stop him. “I’m making chicken tonight. I’ll be home okay?”

 

Hyunjoong silently nodded as she watched her climb into Yoomi’s car and sped off. Hyunjoong turned around in frustration and began walking back to his office to have a good talk with Jinho.

 

...........................................

 

At around midnight, Hyunjoong walked into the house. As he took off his shoes, he realized all the lights were turned down except for the kitchen lights and the living room lights. He walked into the kitchen and saw his dinner laid out for him to eat.

 

Hyunjoong had gotten home late because of unexpected meetings and documents he had to take care of. He was so busy that his anger with Somin had diminished to nothing but feeling completely bad. He turned towards the living room and saw Somin sleeping on the couch. He began walking towards the living room. The T.V. was on to a drama but was on mute. She must have fallen asleep watching dramas again.

 

He sat beside her on the floor and stared at her face. Although she was deeply asleep, she was crying a lot. He reached towards her face and began wiping her tears away.

 

 “Are you crying because of me? I hate it when you cry.” He her hair away from her face. “I’m sorry Somin. It’s not your fault. I was just upset. I’m so sorry about Maerin. I’m so sorry for everything. If you don’t believe me, then that’s okay. I just don’t want you to cry anymore because of me.”

 

Suddenly Somin’s eyes began to flutter open. Hyunjoong let his hand rest softly on her face. He looked into her eyes as an apology.

 

She didn’t look away from him and neither did he. Without words but with eyes, apologies were said from both of them.

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N I'd love this story to be featured. Any suggestions on how that could happen? :D]