Happy Birthday, T!

Happy Birthday

Joonmyeon is a very busy person. So when he told me he wouldn't be able to see me on my birthday, I really didn't mind. Since my birthday landed on a weekday, I didn't expect much, my parents will be working, my brother at school, and my friends will be busy. I decided to just stay at home. My morning started off the usual, woke up around nine, made breakfast, plopped down on my desk and started my job hunting. Being fresh out of university, I was basically a freeloader at my parent's house. I was starting to freak out if I was, even the slightest, going anywhere in life. I've wondered a thousand times what Joonmyeon liked about me, out of all the girls he've met and could've gotten, why me. Very generic looking, unemployed, me. How we met was pure luck, keeping in touch was a choice, and falling for each other, just came as natural as breathing.

I ran into him at a cafe, as in we almost bumped into each other heading towards the same door. He was walking from the opposite direction and because I was in such a hurry, I didn't notice him coming. He opened the door for me, gesturing to go in first. I mumbled a 'thank you' and went in straight for the line to order. It was very busy, that's why I was in a rush, I wanted to get a good spot and start working on my paper that was due the next day. Just my luck, a couple left right when they called out my drink. I dashed to the table, plugged my computer, and started working.

"Is this seat taken?"

"No, go ahead." I didn't even looked up, I thought the person was just going to grab the chair and sit somewhere else. Imagine my surprise when he sat down.

I looked up from my screen, and his smiling eyes met mine. I quickly directed my gaze back to my essay, from that three seconds eye contact I can already tell he's good looking, way too good looking. Completely out of my league good looking. He was probably waiting for his girlfriend, hoping  to snatch the table when I leave. Too bad for him, I've still got ten thousand words to go. Just to be polite, I shift my laptop closer to my side of the table to make space for him. He then put down his drink, took out a book, and started reading. Not that I was watching.

I didn't know how long it has been, but I feel like I was having a brain hemorrhage, I have no idea what I was even writing about. I groaned internally. That's what I thought at least.

"What's wrong?"

I've completely forgotten about the fact that I'm sharing the table with someone. I don't know why I did it. I would just usually shrug it off when people ask me 'what's wrong', specially random strangers, but something about him, something about the way he said those words, and his caring eyes, that made me open up.

"I have no clue what the I'm writing about, and this paper is due tomorrow."

And the rest was history.

Typical me, I fell asleep on the couch. I'm twenty-three now, and I still need a nap. And just to prove my maturity, I started kicking and flailing to let out my frustration. I snapped out of it when I hear my doorbell ring. I wasn't expecting anyone, but it could be the delivery guy, and he can just leave the package if no one answers. But I am twenty-three now, an adult, so even though I didn't want to get off the couch, I will. Because that's what adults do. Get off the damn couch.

I opened the door, and was confused for a second, I was met by a bouquet of flowers. With all the variety of flowers, it was big enough to hide a man behind it. I was about to reach out for it, a smile slowly forming on my face. There was only one person who would send this, there is only one person who would spend money on such extravagant bouquet, and I was starting to feel excited. But the delivery guy moved it away from my reach, revealing the only person who would. 

"Happy Birthday, T!" He said with the biggest smile on his face.

Air was caught in my throat. "Joonmyeon... What? How?" To see him in person after such a long time, especially on my birthday, was overwhelming. I can already feel the water works coming.

"Hey hey, I didn't come here to make you cry." He said cooing, and wiping off the tears that are about to fall with his thumb. He put his arms around me, caressing my back to calm me down as I lay my head against his chest.

He sang me Happy Birthday because he said he just had to, even though there wasn't a cake for me to blow. We then wasted off the afternoon cuddled into each other's arm, barely paying any attention to the movie. I was still in shock that my Joonmyeon is actually here, with me, in my couch. I was just looking at him with awe, while he went off telling me his stories about the tour, and the boys. When my family came home they all insisted we go out for dinner because Joonmyeon, the only person who will deal with me, is here. They were all delighted to see him. And of course, its their daughter's birthday.

Joonmyeon wanted to go out for walk around my neighbourhood, it was almost midnight, but he whined that we should go to burn off the calories from dinner. And honestly, a little more alone time with him would be nice.

The weather was nice, not too cold, not too warm. It was calm, and the moon was bright. It was perfect for a walk.

"You know, I fell for you when you were doing your paper the first time we met at the cafe. You were so focused on it, your face was all scrunched up, and I could tell you were struggling so much. All I wanted to do was grab your laptop and do it for you." He chuckled, laughing it off as a joke, but the way his eyes bore into mine tells me otherwise. 

"I fell for you when I recognized you were that leader from EXO." I joked.

"I knew it, you were just after my fame and money." He says in an accusing tone, but he tightens his grip on my hand, swaying our hands together as we continued walking.

"I don't know, but I guess it was between your constant nagging about me not getting enough sleep because of school, editing my papers for me, and cheering me on whenever I feel like a failure." I piped up. A smile was creeping up on my face, remembering the times we've spent on FaceTime. I would be pulling an all-nighter and he would just be coming home from a schedule. I've always told him that he should just sleep, but he would brush me off and say he drank way too much energy drink and couldn't sleep anyway. And there were times that I would pull an all-nighter just to get to talk to him.

He lets go of my hand, bringing them around my head and gently moving it closer to his. I felt his soft lips against my hair. I've always liked it when he kisses my head, it makes me feel secure. It makes everything okay, and it just makes me feel all fluffy and calm inside. It wasn't intense, like a kiss on the lips, or playful like a peck. It was calming, and protective. And he knows, that I like them, because he always linger a bit longer. I just couldn't help but melt, and fall in love with him all over again.

"What do you want for your birthday, princess? Anything, tell me." He whispers, as he moves his arm around me.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

He looked displeased with my answer. "Anything, really. Sky's the limit." He said, pulling me closer, and leaving another kiss on my forehead.

"I've got all I want right here." I breathe out, tip toeing to give him a quick kiss on the lips.

Today is my best birthday ever.