We'll be Okay

Forget Me Not

It was late. Eric had been sitting at the dining room sorting out their bills. He's been behind for several months, rental had been difficult to pay, he could barely pay for all the electricity, water and medical bills. He was lucky for now that he landlord is understanding of Wendy's situation but he can no longer hold onto the rental for much longer. The landlord had been persuading him to pay for his overdue rentals for quite sometime. Eric calculated all his overdue bills and comparing them to his decreasing bank balance. He ran his hand through his hair. He's running low on money. He hadn't been able to hold a job ever since Wendy needed extra care at home. He couldn't afford for a nurse or caretaker to look after her while he was away. Eric sighed as he sunk into his chair as he closed his eyes. He frowned as he tried to think of a plan.

"Eric? Eric?" A soft woman voice made him sit up in his chair.

Wendy stood across him covered in her blanket as she stared at him. Her lips looked chapped, her hair was slightly disheveled probably from sleeping.

"Do you need a glass of water?" He asked and Wendy nodded her head.

"Sit down. I'll get you some water." Eric answered as he tried his best to smile.

Wendy slowly made her way to the dining table and sat down. Her eyes was instantly distracted by all the bills and papers Eric had laid out on the table. She never bat an eyelash as she looked at them.

"Here." Eric placed a glass of water in front of her.

Wendy was still staring at the bills and papers. Eric assumed that probably she was just dazed and ignored. She'll probably wake up from it soon enough. 

"Drink up and let's go to bed." Eric said to her as he stared cleaning up his mess.

Just suddenly, Wendy grabbed Eric by the wrist and it took Eric by suprise.

"We need money?" She said suddenly as she stared into Eric's eyes.

Eric was suprised by her words but still try to pull a smile.

"It's nothing to worry. I'll get them done by this week." He said smily wryly hoping she didn't notice the trouble he feels.

"I'm sorry." Wendy spoke softly.

"There's nothing for you to be sorry. We'll be fine." Eric said as he squeezed her hand assuringly.

"No we won't. I know we won't." She said.

She suddenly sounded like her old self. The rational, grown up Wendy. Eric felt a tear formed in the corner of his eye. Oh, how much he missed that old Wendy. 

"C'mon. Drink up your water and let's get to bed." Eric said changing the subject.

Eric picked up the glass of water and placed them in her hand. Wendy quietly downed the entire glass and Eric put them away. Partly, Wendy's words were true. They probably won't be okay in the near future and he had to do something about it. Eric tucked her in and laid down beside her. He stared at her back as he inched closer. He placed his hand on her shoulder to see if she would stiffen up like she usually would but this time she seemed relaxed. Soon enough she turned around and faced him before she inched closer and snuggled close to his chest. Eric felt glad and overwhelmed. It seemed like forever since he last felt her voluntarily getting close to him. Eric moved his hand to her back as he rubbed them as she fell asleep. He had alot on his mind and sleep didn't seem to be coming easy to him that night but Wendy managed to dose off easily. He just kept comforting himself with the fact that he had her in his arms.Eric wasn't sure how long it was but he remembered finally dosing off as soon as he saw the first peek of sunlight through the curtains and Wendy still in his arms.

Eric was soon awoken by the sound of glass crashing. Eric shoot up from his bed and his first instict was to find Wendy. He looked to his right and she was no longer there.

"Wendy!" Eric yelled out as he bolted out the bedroom door. 

"Wendy!" He repeated as he ran to their kitchen.

There she was crouching by the dining table. A glass full of orange liquid had dropped to the ground and the glass had shattered. Wendy was carefully trying to pick up the glass when Eric hurried to her side and stop her.

"Let me do it. You'll get hurt." Eric said as he diverted her away from the broken glass.

"What were you doing? You should've told me if you needed something." Eric said as he picked up the shards of broken glass.

"I'm sorry. You looked tired." She answered softly.

"I was hungry." She said again.

Eric turned to look at her as he stopped midway. Wendy had her head hung low as she crouched down not far from where he was. Eric sighed as he picked up the rest of the shards and threw them in the bin. He grabbed the nearest rag and wiped dry the liquid before it could spread further on the floor. Wendy hadn't budged from the position since Eric started cleaning up.

"Come, I'll make you breakfast or lunch." Eric said when he noticed the clock.

Eric quickly sweeps up the shards of glass and threw them into the closest bin moving as he scans across the floor hoping he hadn't missed a single shard. When he was satisfied that he had not missed out a single shard, Eric makes his way to the kitchen to start making lunch.

"Wendy! What do you want for lunch?" Eric asks as he starts going through the almost bare pantry. They were running out of groceries.

"We can have your favourite mac & cheese or..... Oatmeal?" Eric called out to Wendy as he picked up a box of each.

"Maybe Mac & Cheese?" Eric said again but there was no response from Wendy.

"Wendy?" He called again. Silence.

It wasn't that unusual for Wendy to not respond to him but this time around he felt his heart sank. It wasn't a good feeling. He didn't feel right.

"Wendy!" He called out again as he dropped the boxes and hurried towards the living room.

There she was slumped at the end of the room, blood was pooling next to her body. Eric felt the blood from his entire body drained as he saw the blood. Not a single word managed to escape his mouth.

"Wendy!" He yelled as he hurried towards her body. And that was when he noticed a shard of glass in her hand and a deep wound across the wrist of her other arm.

Eric pulled off the sweater he was wearing and quickly pressed it against her wrist. Wendy's eyes fluttered for a second as she stared up at him before her eyes slowly start to shut.

"Wendy! Stay with me!" Eric yelled loudly hoping his voice would keep her awake as he fumbled for his cellphone in his jeans pocket.

"Don't sleep. I'm getting help. Just.... Please...." Eric pleaded. His fingers shaking as he dialed for help.

"They'll be here soon. Hang on... Please..." Eric kept whispering into Wendy's ear as he held onto her tightly. Pressing her wounded wrist.

Help came soon enough and the doctor's managed to save her. Eric stood over her hospital bed as he stared at her pale lips, her frazzled hair. Her hair... So messy... Eric felt exhausted. Emotionally, physically. The tears that he seemed to have held back started streaming down his face. She almost died. She almost left him. He sat down by her bed and delicately picked up one of her hand as he tried to feel the warmth from her hand on his cheek. Tears continued to stream and he felt relieved being able to feel the warmth from her palms. 

"Please don't do this again." Eric whispered as he lightly kissed her palm.

"I love you and we'll be okay" This time whispering right into Wendy's ear.