FINAL

Heartache on the Big Screen

Curtain opened, heard the crowd roar…

 

“Jin, are you finished on your manuscript?”

I sighed and looked at the guy on my bed, comfortably sitting and fiddling with his own hair.

“I’m sorry, no. I just can’t think of anything nice.”

“It’s fine if you know the deadline’s next week.”

“Next week? What day is it now?”

“11. Ugh, Seokjin. Get out of your room right now and arrange a damn party. You’ve been here for ages!”

“Namjoon, I know you’re my bestfriend but please, you know, I don’t like parties.”

“Just this once, for goodness sake how can you get any ideas when all you see is your bloody laptop and books?”

I rolled my eyes. “Okay, okay. I’ll do it tomorrow evening, invite anyone you know but I’m just going to stay there for about… 10 minutes.”

“Deal.”

----

This one's a repeat, seen it before…
 

The damn speakers were blasting downstairs meaning the party already started. And I hate it. My brain wasn’t functioning and the last thing I want right now is a distraction. I don’t even know how I agreed with Namjoon to actually do a party in my house.

Knock on the door.

“Yeah…” That reply lazily got out of my mouth, I already know who’s out there.

“Get out of your room.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Get out for 10 ing minutes.”

“Ugh, okay.” I got my phone and set a timer.  10 minutes.

I opened the door and the noise get louder and lots of people that I don’t know were chatting, dancing and drinking downstairs. Namjoon dragged me down and introduced me to whomever he wants. I smiled and make note of their dress and hair and the way they move, maybe gonna help for my manuscript. But I actually can’t remember any of the faces. Just Namjoon’s current boyfriend, Jimin. My phone beeped.

“Bro, 10 minutes’ up.”

He stared at me. “You actually did that.”

“Yep.” I said to him. “It was nice meeting you, guys. Please enjoy.”

I walked out of the living room and went straight to my room, locked it and lie down in my bed. “Damn that was tiring…”

A few seconds after shutting my eyes, my bathroom’s door opened. I stood up immediately cause only God knows who’s in there.

“Oh.”

A guy maybe in his twenties wearing nice party clothes (nice cause it suits him nicely and I'm not really good at describing), with messy hair, maybe a little tipsy cause he can’t stand properly suddenly came out and smiled at me.

“How did you get here?”

“Namjoon hyung invited me.”

“No, I mean, in here.”

His brows knotted, maybe thinking how did he ended up in my room and then afterwards it lit up. “I’m looking for a toilet downstairs but there’s someone there so I had to look for another one. I ended up here. The door wasn’t locked so… I came in.”

“Oh. Okay. So who are you?”

“Taehyung. So I guess I have to go.”

“No, wait.”

“Eh?”

“Can we talk for a moment?”

“Uh… sure.”

---

Curtain closes on this cliché
A good story of a bad day…

 

“Who is she?”

“Who?”

“The girl you just talked to a few minutes ago before you came in right through the door.”

“What?”

“I saw you from this window.” He said and pointed at his side.

“Colleague.”

“You also talked to her last day at the same spot and so last week and---“

I stared into his eyes before I leaned and kissed him. He didn’t respond. I drew back. “Taehyung. Are you mad?”

“Obviously.”

I sighed. “She’s just a friend, okay?”

“Then why do you have to give her a coffee and an envelope every time you meet?” His eyes narrowed while staring into me, probably examining my reactions.

“You even noticed that.”

“Of course. I also know you’ve been smiling a lot around her.”

“You’re jealous.”

“Good guess. So who is she?”

I groaned. “My editor.”

“Okay.”

“I write novels Taehyung. She helps me with that so as a gratitude and appreciation… I’m doing that.”

He silenced for a moment. “Stop seeing her.”

“Then how can I do my job? Who’s supposed to give my works to her?” I raised my brows.

“Me. I’ll do it. Just don’t get close to her. She obviously likes you.”

“But I love you.”

That reply was immediate that Taehyung was about to say something but then he closed again his mouth, grasping some words. And all that came out was a soft, “Really?”

“Really.” I walked in front of him and hugged him tightly. I know Taehyung could be overly jealous and possessive and he really don’t want me near to anyone. It was supposed to irritate me but surprisingly, I liked it. Something must be wrong with me.

“I love you, too.” he mumbled.

“So were okay?”

“Yeah. So next time, I’ll be the one to meet her.”

I let out a laugh.

---

If Hollywood could see me now,
I'd get the starring role
But they won't so I'll just keep on acting a fool…

 

“Hyung. Can you come here?”

“What’s it, Taehyung?”

I shouted and glanced at the door upstairs, their room. Me and Taehyung were… living in. Yeah.

“Just come here, Jin-hyung.”

“I asked what is it, just tell me.”

I’m at the kitchen and well, I’m baking Taehyung’s favorite pancake. And cupcakes. This was a special day, nothing ordinary. And I’m grinning from ear to ear, I just cannot stop myself, you know. Cause just in 3, 2, 1...

“WHY THE IS THERE A DIAMOND RING AT MY COAT’S POCKET???” Taehyung shouted, he’s already at the stairs, running to him, holding the one he’d been flushing about.

CutecutecutadorablestopyourselfJinit’sdaylightSTOPYOURSELF.

I took a deep breath, cause my damn heart wasn’t even calming no matter how many times I had to put in my mind that I was prepared for this and I had already practiced the lines I would say when this happens.

But all that I understand is I want to the man in front of me right now. But that could wait. I smiled at him.

“Maybe, someone was trying to propose to you?”

“Hyung… you’re kidding.”

“Why?”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes and in case, you don’t want it, I’m still going to keep that until you’re the one begging for me to put that in your finger. So?”

Taehyung stared at him. “I surely don’t like begging so yes.”

“Sure you’re not gonna beg for another round this night?” I grinned before I grabbed his hips and pressed my lips onto his.

 

-----

Fast forward to the end, after everyone's gone home
And they've forgotten it all…

 

“…Seokjin.”

I opened my eyes, but everything’s a blur.

“..Seokjin, can you hear me?”

A pain on my chest, on the back of my head. I don’t know where it came from but it was damn painful. I cleared my throat. “Y-Yeah…” A few seconds, my view cleared and saw relieved faces of my friends. “Where am I?”

“Hospital. Thanks, God. I thought I’m gonna have an attack.” Namjoon mumbled.

Attack… attack.

“Hyung!”

I saw Taehyung’s panicking face.

“Shh… Don’t speak.” I said, trying to calm him down. We were at a bank and... there were people trying to rob it. Everyone was held hostage.

“Open the damn vault!”

A tall man shouted at the employee, pointing a gun at her. She was trembling, badly. “Yes… yes.”

The guy went with her to a room and three more were left holding long guns and wearing black hoodies and pants. One went to a guy and point the gun at him.

“Give us your money.”

He refused. He hit him with the gun and told him to give him his money. And he did. Then he went to the girl beside her. Told her to do the same.

He’ll also do that to us. We need to get out. I dig up the phone on my coat’s pocket and typed secretly.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Taehyung whispered to me.

“Alerting the police. They’ll be here in a few minutes.” I replied then put it back in his pocket. They both watched the guy going around.

And after a few minutes, he was in front of us and told us to give him everything we have. We did. Our credit cards, money, phone.

“Nice ring, I want that, too. Give me that.”

Taehyung stared at the guy. “Hell no.”

He hit him with a gun. I gritted my teeth. “Keep your ing hands to yourself Mister and don’t you dare lay a finger on him again.”

The guy chuckled. “As if that will scare me. Now, give me that.”

Taehyung looked at me. I nodded. “I’ll buy you a lot of that once we get out of here.” I whispered to him and gave him a reassuring smile.

So he did.

He proceeded to the next woman beside them.

And what we didn’t expect happened. My phone got a reply. The guy red the message. “We’ll be there. Just be… calm.” The guy panicked and shouted. “Holy ! Boss, police will come here! , it was sent 5 minutes ago, they would be here in a few minutes!”

My heart beats so fast I thought it would come out anytime. I was trembling, I was the one who send the message. I knew it was my time. I knew I was going to die.

“You er did this!”

The guy went back in front of me and also hit me with the gun. My head shook up a bit, felt the blood in my mouth. He pointed the gun at me. I closed my eyes and there was Taehyung’s smile.

I’m sorry.

My life flashed before my eyes. Guess my time’s already up. I was glad I married Taehyung. Glad I had a lot of time alone with him. Glad I had tasted his ridiculous cooking.

But then those flashbacks stopped. As his destiny changed with three words.

“It was me.”

I felt cold.

“It was me.”

My heart stopped.

“I’m sorr---“

Gunshot.

 

----

Rewind to the start before it all went wrong
What's going on?

 

“Seokjin, come out of your room.” Namjoon said to him silently.

“Then you’ll ask me to do a party at my house and introduce me to your friends… Will I meet him again after he come out of the bathroom?” I smiled.

“No, you just have to say goodbye to him permanently. About 10 minutes from now.”

Namjoon stood up and got out of the room.

I heaved a sigh. Tears started to form in my swelling eyes. I was grieving for 5 days already, crying every night and I don’t know if I could still continue another day with the thought of the only person I had loved was now gone.

He was shot. In the head. I was dumbfounded. I saw how his head fall back, how his eyes closed, how the blood gushed through the wound. I saw how he faintly smiled at me for the last time. I saw… and it haunts me. I miss him. Badly.

I wished and hoped for a million times that it wasn’t real. Just another movie. Just another cliché story.

But it was real. He was gone.

It was supposed to be me, right? It was supposed to be me.

Realizing what happened, I attacked and punched the guy, hoping that he’d put a bullet on me, too. That maybe I could join Taehyung on the cold floor. That maybe I wouldn’t be alone for the next hours, days, months and years to come.

And he did. I'm so glad he did. He shot me, too. But not enough for me to walk with Taehyung to another side. Not enough. I lived. And how I wish I didn’t.

The police came. But they were too late.

I woke up in a hospital, only to receive news he didn’t made it.

 

This ain't a movie that I wanna see
A tragic story, starring you and me

I don’t want those memories.


Yell "cut", we're stuck inside this scene
This is heartache on the big screen

It’s my fault. It was all my fault.


The clock is ticking, and I'm out of time
The camera's rolling, and I forgot my lines
My script is ripped and now I see

And I couldn’t get the time back. We’re not in a movie. There’s no thing as rewind. There’s no such thing as go back.

Knock on the door.

“Come out of there… we’re leaving.”

I stood up from the bed, picked up my glasses and wiped all the tears trying to escape out of my eyes.

Back to square one where I started
As I stand here broken-hearted

I looked at the opened bathroom door. Imagined when there was a drunk guy with nice party clothes and messed hair came out. When an annoyingly and stupidly but strangely adorable box-smile showed up in his face.

It all started like in the movies… but all ended up like a bad dream.

This is all a heartache on the big screen.

And there is no happy ending.