Namjoon Next Door

Namjoon Next Door

Namjoon cursed loudly as he checked and rechecked every pocket and his backpack for his keys. “I can’t believe I lost my keys, again. Yoongi is going to kill me if I call him for my spare at this time of night.” He sighed loudly and put all of his belongings back into his bag, mumbling the whole time. He was so caught up with cursing his bad luck he didn’t hear his neighbour pull up in her driveway.

 

She got out of her car and looked over at Namjoon curiously. She walked up to the short fence separating them and cleared . “Hey, everything alright?” Namjoon looked up at the owner of the voice, his expression showing his frustration. “Not really. I lost my keys.” He said with a sigh. She chuckled, “Again? Really, Namjoon?”

 

“Shut up.” He said as he threw a crumpled up receipt at her. She dodged the receipt and laughed at him. “Please tell me you have a spare key. You’ve got next to no chance of getting a locksmith out at this time of night.” She said noting the late hour. Namjoon stood up and slung his backpack over his shoulder. “Yoongi has one.”

 

“Ooohhh you’re in trouble. He’ll kill you.” She teased as he ran a hand down his face as he tried to think of a solution. “Wait. I think I might have left my bathroom window open!” he exclaimed. She raised an eyebrow at him, “Namjoon, your bathroom is on the second floor and the window is tiny.” He grinned at her. “I won’t fit through the window, but you could.” Her eyebrows shot into her hairline. “Me? You want me to climb in your bathroom window?!” she shook her head. “Nuh uh. No way!”

 

“Come on! It’ll be really easy! You can climb on top of the fence and shimmy up the drain pipe! It’ll be a piece of cake!” she put her hand on her hip as she gave him a withering look. “Namjoon, just call Yoongi.” He shook his head. “No way. He didn’t sleep at all last night so if I call him and he's sleeping he will actually murder me. Come on. Just this once. Please?” he said giving her his best attempt at aegyo. She threw her hands up in defeat. “Fine! Just stop trying to be cute. Its creepy.” She said as she made her way to her own house. “I’m going to put on some sweatpants.” She shouted over her shoulder as she let herself into her house.

 

She reappeared after changing, looking nervous. “I cannot believe I am about to break into your house.” She mumbled as they went to the back of his house. She looked up at the window wondering if it had always been that high up. Namjoon dropped his bag, thankful that the security light had come on to illuminate the garden. He looked up at the window, suddenly unsure about his plan. “Look, if you don’t want to do this…” he started but she shook her head. “Let’s at least give it a go.”

 

She took a deep breath and climbed onto the fence. Namjoon standing below her, ready to catch her if she fell. She looked up at the window, her hands sweaty with nerves. She rubbed her hands on her thighs. “Right, here goes nothing.” She reached forward for the drainpipe, both hands and feet clinging onto it for dear life. “Oh my god. Oh my god!” she chanted, too afraid to move. Namjoon suppressed the urge to laugh. “Are you ok Ha Young?” he asked as he hovered underneath her. “Do I look ok to you?!” she yelled.

 

“Please don’t tell me you're stuck. I really don’t want to call the fire brigade…” he said, a small laugh making its way out of his mouth. “Kim Namjoon when I get down from here, I swear I am going to kill you!” she wailed. She felt her hands start to slip. She let out a loud scream as she lost her grip and fell backwards. She was saved from hitting the hard concrete by Namjoon who caught her, falling underneath her to cushion her fall.

 

She opened her eyes and looked up at Namjoon's face which was contorted in pain. “! Namjoon!” she said as she scrambled off of him and shook him. “Namjoon! Please don’t be dead!” she wailed. Namjoon let out a weak chuckle. “Are you ok?” he asked as he slowly sat up, wincing as he did so. She slapped his arm, “I’m fine you idiot. What about you?” she said as she started looking him over for injuries. He rubbed the back of his head, “I’m good.” He said with a grin. She let out a relieved sigh, “You scared the crap out of me.”

 

“I scared you?” he said incredulously. “I’m not the one who just fell off a building. I shouldn’t have asked you to do something so dangerous.” He said, his tone showing his guilt. “Hey.” She said gently as she pushed his shoulder to get his attention. “It’s not like you forced me or anything. It’s all good.” She said giving him a warm smile.

 

“Woah, am I interrupting something?!” said a loud voice. They both turned to the source of new voice and saw a grinning Hoseok standing at the gate leading into Namjoon's garden. Namjoon glared at him, “You’re not interrupting anything. But why are you here at his time of night?” he asked. Hoseok threw something at him. Namjoon quickly caught the item and swore loudly when he realised what it was. “You left your key at the studio. I figured you wouldn’t call Yoongi for his spare so I brought it over. You really need to keep better track of your things.” He teased. Namjoon got to his feet, extending his hand to help Ha Young up as well. “Shut up.” He mumbled.

 

“I better get back to the studio. Need to get the new choreography sorted. See you guys later. Be good! But if you can’t be good, be safe!” He said with a laugh as he disappeared behind the fence before Namjoon could get his hands on him. Namjoon mumbled under his breath, swearing to kill Hoseok the next time he saw him. He looked at Ha Young and cleared his throat, “So I think I owe you for almost dying to get me into my house.” She nodded, “Yes you do. Do you have any ice cream?” she asked hopefully. He nodded, “Follow me.” He said as he shuffled up to the doorway, thankful for the excuse to invite her in. Although, he would prefer it if the next time he wanted to get her attention it didn’t involve shimmying up drainpipes and near death experiences.