Love me not

Of Flower Petals

It is dead at night with only the cicadas singing where two friends were lain on twin slides gazing up that the black blanket. Exhausted from dance practice and vocal trainings, the two would have been better off in their dorms, asleep. But Taehyung had said he felt rather stuffy going back indoors and Jimin could never say no with the younger looking so worn and weary.

That is why 30 minutes past the time they are supposed to be in bed, has the best friends enjoying the cool autumn breeze and the silence of the night. This however was broken by Taehyung moments later.

"Hey Jiminie, can I ask you something?"

"Mhmm, what is it Tae?" Jimin answered softly. Truth be told, he was very nearly entering dreamland before he heard his name being called.

It took a while before Taehyung spoke up again. Jimin turned to look at his friend, "Tae? What did you want to ask?"

"Remember what I showed you in the van?" Taehyung wasn't looking back at Jimin, instead he kept his eyes on the empty sky.

Jimin brought his gaze back up, "The hanahaki disease? Yeah, why?"

"You really don't believe that it's true?"

Jimin released a hum in agreement. "It's just a myth Tae. It's not real. If it is, why haven't we heard of anybody experiencing the disease? It couldn't be that no one has experienced unrequited love."

Taehyung was quick to reply, "That might be true but maybe their love was returned before the disease could get any worse? Then it would explain why there are no news or records of it"

Jimin shifted slightly into a more comfortable position, bringing his hands up to support his head. "I still don't believe it though. It's nearly impossible for everyone's love to be returned, is it?"

This time the younger thought of the words before giving his reply, "Maybe..maybe it selects people? Or the love that they feel? Maybe it only occurs to people who really believe in it? Or it occurs to the people whose love for another is strong and deep enough?"

Taehyung sounded so passionate and determined as he came up with his theories, it put a smile on Jimin's face. "Well then, that would , wouldn't it? To have to suffer the disease because of how much you love a person on top of knowing that the other don't love you the same way? I might just choose to die if that ever happens to me."

Taehyung sat up on the slide as he brought his knees to his chest, covering his mouth when a short cough bubbled up before muttering "Yeah..death might be better than this suffering"

Jimin hadn't heard Taehyung's reply. His eyes were gradually closing, ready to fall into the arms of peaceful slumber when he heard Taehyung's voice again.

"Hey Jiminie"

"Yes, Taehyung" he replied with a yawn.

"What would you do if it does happen? To one of us?"

"Well," he started of, eyes remaining closed and voice low with sleep, "if it happens to you, firstly I'd try to find out who it was that broke my best friend's heart and maybe beat him up a little," they quietly laughed as Taehyung gave a light smack on Jimin's thigh beside him with a "hey, no violence" contradicting his actions. "Hahaha but I think I would be much too worried about you and trying to find a cure to care about castrating anyone. Although, honestly I don't think you'll need to worry about this disease. Who would be stupid enough not to fall in love with you, right?"

Taehyung could hear the smile in Jimin's voice when he said that. It made his eyes become suddenly too moist. He let out a breathy laugh, "Would that mean that you're in love with me then?"

Taehyung prayed his voice didn't sound as hopeful as his heart wants or as broken as his heart feels because he knows what he wish for is close to impossible.

Jimin's returning laugh was loud and beautiful and disguised the echoes of Taehyung's ever-breaking heart. "Oh my god Tae, that would be so weird! It would almost be like . I love you but please, not to that extend. You're not my type."

Jimin let loose another yawn, the sudden use of energy draining him even more. Taehyung didn't give his response and as the silence settle back around them, Jimin finally crossed into the land of nothingness.

Taehyung, though, is still staring in his palm. As he has been doing since asking Jimin of his actions. When he finally spoke, his voice was a mere whisper lost in the wind, "Yeah, I'm not your type but I still fell in love with you despite. Now it's my own fault that I have to suffer." He looked down at his sleeping partner with a tired smile, "Don't worry, I'll never let you beat yourself up."

Taehyung let the draft carry away blue petals before settling himself back down. He wasn't sure if there was a cure for his disease but one thing was certain, he would never lose this feeling towards his friend.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

If you didn't get it, the flower petals are supposed to be forget-me-not.