01. (final)

For old time's sake

Wendy stands on the balcony of her apartment, looking down in exasperation at the girl standing on the curb. Wondering from where this girl gets the guts to show up at her apartment after all this time, leaning against her old beat up car, hands deep in the pockets of her worn jean jacket.

The girl looks up and grins, taking one of her hands out of her pocket and running it through her long brown locks. 
"Good evening miss, your long overdue limo is here." she jokes, gesturing at the barrel she drives. 

"What the are you doing here?" Wendy's words come out harsher than she intended but a long day and suddenly having to deal with Kang Seulgi's does that to a person. 
Seulgi just smiles, "nice to see you too Wen, what a lovely welcome after all these years!" 
Wendy scoffs, it's been 3 years and this girl has the damn nerve to just joke around with her like that? Especially considering how sour their breakup was.
"I can hear the cogs in your head turning all the way from here" Seulgi laughs, the sound of her laughter tugs at Wendy's heart, the familiarity all too confronting. "You still think too much Wendy." 
"You didn't answer my question Seulgi, what do you want from me?" Again, the words sound harsh but the feeling settling at the pit of the light haired girl's stomach doesn't sit that well. 
"I came to pick you up, a night on the town? Just like we used to?" the light pleading in the darker haired girl's voice doesn't go unnoticed.
"I can't deal with your crap Seul, go find some other girl, it's not like that's something new to you." Wendy starts to turn around, opening the sliding doors to her living room.
"Wait, please!" Seulgi shouts, the slight desperation in her voice evident. 
"Just one more time please? For old time's sake?" Wendy wonders where the sudden quake in Seulgi's voice comes from, wonders why the girl's seeming remorse didn't come 3 years earlier. 
"I don't think that's a good idea Seul, see you around." Wendy wryly smiles and turns to step inside, leaving Seulgi on the curb. 
"See you around I guess.." The dark haired girl mutters to herself stepping into the old car.
That night Wendy can't get the sound of familiar laughter and a rumbling old engine out of her mind. 

The next night Seulgi's there again, shuffling her feet on the worn concrete.
"Hey." Being the single word coming from the usually confident girl. 
Looking at the sort of depressing sight, Wendy just sighs, "I'll be right there." 

"Hey." Seulgi repeats when Wendy's close enough. 
"Hey." Wendy echoes back at her.
"So... this is awkward." The taller girl smiles slightly, resisting the urge to pull her ex girlfriend into a hug. 
"It is huh?" Wendy replies, looking the girl in the eyes, questioning her sudden change in attitude, the slight dull in the girl's eyes.
Wendy was always too observant, a blessing and a curse all in one. 
Seulgi gestures at the shorter girl's bag "so you'll come with me tonight?" The hopeful tone not going unnoticed by the other girl. 
Wendy nods, "for old time's sake." 
They exchange glances, laughing a little at the familiarity of it all. 
"Speaking about old, you still don't have a new car?" Wendy's awkward attempt at a joke makes Seulgi smile. 
"Not everyone is born rich miss Son." She winks at Wendy, not noticing the blush creeping up Wendy's cheeks.
Seulgi was never that observant, a curse and maybe a blessing on its own.

"Are you wearing the same outfit as yesterday? Save for the shirt?" Wendy asks while buckling her seatbelt.
"Hey this is clean you know! No judging." Seulgi pouts, Wendy can't help but find it cute.
"You have the fashion sense of a lesbian." Wendy remarks, pulling at the cuff of Seulgi's plaid shirt. 
"No , besides, you shouldn't be talking Queen of Lesbian Attire!" Seulgi retorts, "also I remember you were the one who once said they liked it on me, despite the buttons making it hard to take off." The girl in the passenger seat blushes a deep crimson while the other loudly guffaws at her own joke. 
"Your jokes were always in poor taste." Wendy grumbles a bit.
"Yeah, but you know you can't hate me." Seulgi's confidence back as she grins and steps on the gas pedal. 

Wendy notices they've arrived at a very familiar parking lot. "This park?" Wendy's voice going up an octave in suprise.
"This park!" Seulgi echoes cheerfully as she cuts off the engine.
"You do know it closes after 11 pm right?" Wendy looks at her watch, the little display telling her it's 1 in the morning.
"I am well aware, finding a way in oughta be fun right?" The mischievous glint in Seulgi's eyes a sign of upcoming trouble. 
She then jumps out of the car, stands with a serious expression on her face, places a hand over her heart and utters; "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good."
She then does a weird little twirl and points at Wendy "Accio Wendy!"
Wendy swings open the passenger door rolling her eyes, "you're a nerd Seul." 
"Tell me something I don't know, but admit, that spell totally worked!" Seulgi shouts over her shoulder, as she's already a few steps ahead all of a sudden.
"Typical." Wendy mutters to herself.
"Also what is this girl thinking, shouting at this hour?!"

They walk a bit before Seulgi suddenly stops at a seemingly random bush. "Hey check it out!" she nudges Wendy in the side, almost making the clumsy girl fall over. "Geez Seul what?!" 
"Look behind that bush!" 
Wendy bent down, peering through the leaves she spotted a hole in the fence, suddenly remembering how it got there.
"They never fixed that?" She asked turning to Seulgi.
Seulgi just shrugs, "Guess not. Hey remember when we made that hole? I stole my mom's huge cutting pliers. Good times." 
 "I do!" Wendy chuckles, "you got into so much trouble for that little stunt." 
"I know right!" Seulgi exclaims, "I couldn't see you for like 2 weeks, it was torture." 
Silence surrounds them as they reminisce, thinking about the times they couldn't last 2 measly weeks without each other. Those times seeming like a second compared to the last 3 years.  
The rustling of leaves distracts Wendy from her thoughts.
"Are you coming or what?" Seulgi asks, bouncing on her feet impatiently, shaking at the fence separating their faces.
"You were never that patient," Wendy sighs as she tries to find her way through the leaves and fence.

They walk through the trees in silence, both of them knowing exactly where they were going, their feet taking them to their destination almost automatically.

Surrounded by the shadows of the trees they stand in front of a particularly big one, both tracing the carving in the bark. 
"Remember when I carved this?" Seulgi's wistful smile illuminated by the moonlight shining through the leaves of the large old tree.
"How could I forget? Wendy lightly took the other girl's hand "it was so cheesy I thought my fingers would never uncurl." 
Seulgi tightened her grip on Wendy's hand, slowly bringing the girl closer.
Looking into each others shining eyes they slowly engaged in a long lip lock, the lingering feelings of longing evident with every movement of their lips.   
"You're still as breathtaking as ever."
Seulgi breathed as they parted, looking at the blush creeping up on Wendy's face. 
"You could've looked at this face every day if you didn't leave stupid." 
The smile on Wendy's face showing she was joking. 
"I'll make it up to you every day if you give me another chance?" Seulgi looked down at her feet, the sincere question echoing in Wendy's head. 
"Let me think about it Seul," Wendy's expression serious "this isn't just a trivial thing you know." 
"I know," Seulgi looked up hopefully "I'll wait for you on the curb of your apartment every day for another chance." 
Wendy scoffed, then a soft smile graced her features. "You're an idiot." 
"I could be your idiot again, forever."