The reason why I'm pranking you...

The prankster's secret

Dahyun P.O.V

It is a sunny morning in March on which I wake up feeling still tired but excited for dance practise. I turn off my alarm and jump out of my bed happily.

On my way to the bathroom I pass by Momo unnie who looks like a panda because of the huge dark circles under her eyes. I pat her shoulder softly and she immediately sinks into my embrace.

She threatens to doze off with her head lying on my shoulder. However once our leader calls out cheerfully:

"Breakfast is ready!"

Momo takes a 360 degree change in personality and runs over to the kitchen out of a sudden wide awake by the mention of her beloved food. I chuckle silently at this. Such a shikshin...

I decide to just go to the bathroom after breakfast since I don't want the others to take away my food while I'm under the shower. The thing about living together with eight other teenage girls is that just like teenage boys they are most of the time very hungry.

Even though Park sajangnim told us to not overdue it with eating because he doesn't want us to look fat for our comeback which will be soon Jihyo unnie always keeps on telling us that we should at least eat breakfast together.

The thing is that Jihyo unnie herself doesn't eat very much which actually worries me a lot. I mean, it's very nice that she acts like a mom towards us but she needs to eat something herself from time to time.

 

Before I take a seat I inspect the chair thoroughly first since Chaeyoung tends to pull all kinds of pranks on me and so I can never be careful enough.

Once I am sure that everything looks normal and no screws are loose I plop onto my seat. Tzuyu who sits next to me asks in concern:

"Are you okay, unnie?"

I smile at her and answer:

"Don't worry, Tzuyu-ah. I am fine, despite being pranked on by a certain midget all the time..."

Tzuyu scrunches her nose in thought for a short moment since she most likely has to translate my words in her head first. Once she got what I just said she wraps one arm around my shoulders and tells me:

"Unnie, don't let Chaeng put you down with her childish acts. Who knows maybe she will leave you alone today."

I nod my head and say accompanied by a small sigh:

"Maybe you are right, Tzuyu-ah. It's just that I don't get why she chose me as her main victim. Like what have I ever done to deserve this?"

Our beautiful maknae shrugs her shoulders and tells me:

"I don't know the answer to that, unnie. In my opinion you have done nothing wrong. Don't take her actions too personally. Maybe it is a pure coincidence that she chose you."

I huff out and whisper in a frustrated manner:

"Being chosen coincidentilly doesn't actually make things better..."

 

The morning went by smoothly without any pranks. It was calm and peaceful. Too calm and peaceful! I sensed nothing good. Dance practise came around and for a warm-up our trainer told us to get in pairs of two and one triplet.

Guess who the triplet was? J-Trinity, of course. Jihyo unnie and Jungyeon unnie were one team and much to my dismay our maknae insisted on teaming up with Nayeon unnie meaning I would have to work together with Chaeyoung.

How can Tzuyu do this to me? I feel betrayed to say the least. Not even Momo unnie to who I am very close as well wanted to pair up with me. Is this a plot?

I gulp down heavily once I see the mischievous look on that prankster's face. She's up to something again and there is nothing I can do from preventing her next actions because I have no idea what she is up to.

Would she really dare to pull a prank on me during dance practise and in front of our trainer? Up until now I would've answered this question with a clear no but now I am not so sure anymore.

Our trainer tells us to lean against our partner back against back and press against each other. The goal is to push our partner out of an imaginative circle in which we are supposed to stay.

Once one of the two partners has crossed a line of the circle the other one has automatically won. Since Chaeyoung is pretty strong despite her height, especially those shoulders...

 

I bet it will be hard for me to win against her but I will do my best none the less.

Maybe I should simply do my special eagle move. That way I will surely win! However since I don't want to hurt her I soon decide against using that move.

Also the trainer would most likely consider it a foul move and nothing is more embarrassing than to get disqualified. Soon the game starts and with it also our warm-up for today.

My heart is beating faster at the sudden and unusual closeness to Chaeyoung who so happens to be my secret crush. Yes, I know what you might think now. How can you fall in love with your prankster aka number one bully?

Well, despite her being a bully and a kiddo she is very good-looking. Also she has her good sides to her as well. The sad part about it is that she only shows those to the other members and never to me.

For example she actually posesses a lot of aegyo which she however never uses on me. Though everytime I see her using it on others, preferably her beloved Jungyeon unnie and our leader she looks so incredibly cute that I simply can't be mad at her for anything anymore.

I snap out of my thoughts by gasps and roaring laughter which definitely belongs to Chaeyoung. What in the world is wrong? My cheeks are heating up madly once I notice that I don't wear my pants anymore and everyone can see my flower petal ...

 

Tears are running down my eyes and Jihyo unnie immediately comes rushing over to me. She takes me by the hand and after talking to our dance trainer who immediately agrees to ending our practise for today we walk over to the changing rooms.

Jihyo unnie hands me over my jeans which I gladly take and immediately put on. She takes me into a warm embrace and tells me reassuringly:

"I will have a serious conversation with Chaeyoung later and also with my girlfriend because I have this subtle feeling that said girl might has something to do with this as well.

Pulling innocent little pranks is one thing but what Chaeyoung just did to you was humiliating to say the least. This will have serious consequences for her I can assure you of that, Dahyunnie. Let's go back to the dorm together now, okay?"

I nod my head tiredly and ask unnie:

"What consequences are we talking about, unnie? Please don't be too harsh on Chaeng, okay? After all I could've watched out better instead of daydreaming like I did then I could've prevented this from happening..."

Jihyo unnie shakes her head and answers me:

"Don't worry I won't be too harsh on her if you don't want that. I will simply try to talk sense into her and ask her what her reasons for doing what she did just now where. You are not to blame for what happened, Dahyunnie.

However daydreaming at dance practise isn't the best idea, now is it?"

 

I blush slightly at unnie's words and whisper:

"You're right, unnie... I will stay focused from now on. I promise."

We leave the changing room and there we see her standing alongside Jungyeon unnie. The two are seemingly having a discussion with each other at the moment.

They stop to talk however once they see us. Jungyeon unnie entwines her hand with Jihyo unnie and one of my hands is entwined with Jihyo unnie's free hand.

Jihyo unnie turns around and exclaims in her leader tone:

"Son Chaeyoung, you will clean the changing room today! Meanwhile you can reflect on your actions from before."

Chaeyoung groans at this and whines:

"Jungyeon unnie!"

However said girl much to my surprise answers her in a strict voice:

"Listen to your leader's words! I am very disappointed in you by the way."

Chaeyoung's head is hanging low and I feel pitty for her. Shouldn't I be relieved did she gets a proper punishment after what she did to me before? Just why do my feelings for this girl confuse me so much?

 

Our way to the van is silent and once I sit down everyone's attention is on me. Tzuyu who sits next to me tells me apologetically:

"Unnie, I'm so sorry for pairing up with Nayeon instead of you. If I had known what Chaeyoung had in mind I would've never made this decision in the first place..."

I smile at her and whisper:

"I forgive you, Tzuyu-ah. If Chaeyoung wouldn't have done it then and there she would've done it some other place and time. You know how she is. That girl lives up to the motto: 'Another day another prank.'

But tell me how things went between Nayeon unnie and you. From the way you call her only with her surname anymore I take it that you made quite the progress already, eh?"

My friend's cheeks are heating up and she says in a dreamy voice:

"She held my hand the whole time from when that incident happened at the dance practise room until now. Also she told me before that I can drop the formalities so now I am allowed to call her with her surname only. I'm so happy!"

I smile and tell her:

"That's great! I am very happy for you two, Tzuyu-ah. She is asleep again. Are you sure that you only held hands and didn't do anything else?"

Tzuyu's cheeks are heating up madly and she whines:

"Unnie, you're such a byun! No, we didn't do anything despite that. You know that I am an innocent girl and she promised me to take things slow. So stop teasing me!"

At least she is close to the one she likes in a positive way in contrary to me. If only Chaeyoung would return my feelings...

 

We soon arrive at the dorm and I keep on wondering what Chaeyoung does at the moment. Is she finished with cleaning the changing room already?

Another wave of guilt washes over me at this thought. Jihyo unnie exclaims that she will cook dinner for us and her girlfriend immediately chims in and says that she will help her.

It surely must be nice to have someone like this. I envy them for their relationship. Well, they are older and more mature than Chaeyoung and I after all.

Is it because Tzuyu is Taiwanese that she is so much more mature than Chaeng despite being slightly younger than her? Well, Tzuyu is the impersonation of Yoda after all. So wise and mature despite being the youngest out of all of us.

My thoughts get disrupted by the clicking of the front door. I immediately turn my gaze up and there Son Chaeyoung who only seems to be a mere shadow of herself anymore is standing with her head still hanging low in shame.

Shame? No, she more likely is sad because Jungyeon unnie was so cold towards her before and not ashamed, or even feeling guilty for what she did to me before.

She shuffles over into her room immediately without saying a word. Jihyo unnie calls out behind her that dinner is almost ready but Chaeyoung doesn't even react to this since her door has already closed with a loud bang.

Wow, I guess she must be very angry, eh?

 

 

 

Jungyeon P.O.V

Seriously, this girl. This time she clearly overdid it! When we talked about pranks before I told her right away that you should never cross the fine line which makes it humiliating for the victims and yet she did just that with Dahyun.

I really wonder just what is on her mind. Dinner is rather silent since everyone is still shocked by the previous events. I'm left stunned when Jihyo asks me:

"Babe, please tell me that it wasn't your idea. You didn't tell Chaeyoung to pull this unbelievable prank on Dahyun, did you?"

My eyes widen in disbelief at her question. How can she seriously think that I would ever come up with such a thing? I might be a prankster and a goofball but I know what is still fun and what is insulting.

I answer her in a tone from which I am sure she can hear that I am hurt:

"Jisoo-ah, I have told Chaeyoung right from the start that hurting, or insulting others in which way ever isn't allowed when you prank someone. If I pull a prank then it is to make fun and have a laugh however things like pulling down someone's pants in public surely isn't what I consider a prank anymore.

I am seriously disappointed in Chaeyoung and also worried because of her odd change in behaviour..."

She pecks my lips at this and whispers softly:

"I'm sorry, babe. Please forgive your insensitive girlfriend. Of course you wouldn't do such a thing. I can only agree with you about Chaeyoung's odd change in behaviour. The worst thing is that Dahyunnie has to suffer so much because of her. What has this cutie ever done to her?"

 

 

Jihyo P.O.V

After cleaning up the dorm Jungyeon and I go over to our room when suddenly I stop in my tracks. Jungyeon looks at me in confusion and asks:

"Why did you stop in front of the maknae's room out of all?"

I lay a finger on my lips and then we can see Chaeyoung who is walking up and down the room while saying:

"I'm really such a pabo! I love her and yet I hurt her like this in front of everyone. This way she will never return my feelings and want to become my girlfriend. It hurt so much to see her cry before. Aaaaah, pabo, pabo, PABO!"

At this she hits her head against the wall. Jungyeon and I immediately rush into the room and I whisper to Chaeyoung:

"If you're gonna continue to hit your head against the wall like this Dahyun will cry even more because she can't stand seeing you hurt."

 

 

 

Chaeyoung P.O.V

Mwo? J-Jihyo unnie and Jungyeon unnie are here? Does this mean they have... heard everything? My cheeks are heating up madly at this thought and I ask them:

"Did you two... eavesdrop on my monologue just now?"

Jihyo unnie has a fierce glint in her eyes which kinda scares me as she answers me:

"Every single word."

Oh my God this is so embarrassing! I wish I could dig myself a hole and hide inside it for the rest of my life rather than being looked at by them in the way they do right now.

I can't believe my ears when Jungyeon unnie says:

"How come you never told me about your crush on Dahyun before? I would've totally helped you get together with her. Now I understand why you pulled pranks on her though. Pretty sneaky move wanting to see her before even getting together with her.

May I ask if you approve of her , byun Chaeng?"

Yah! What does this crazy unnie think? I'm not a byun at all! Okay, maybe a little bit... However who wouldn't become a byun at the incredibly cute sight of Kim Dahyun? She is simply too much for me to control my byuntaeness and my gayness for that matter...

I growl and answer her:

"You are the one who's a byun here, Jung unnie. Or should I say oppa? Jihyo unnie, did you know that your girlfriend is into genderbender and loves to imagine herself as a guy..."

My words get stuck in my throat by a hand that's covering my mouth. Too late, miss Yoo. Or should I say mister? Ahahaha...

 

Both Jungyeon unnie and I are stunned by the starstruck look in Jihyo unnie's eyes when she says dreamily:

"I didn't know that you had these kinds of fantasies, babe. What a romantic imagination seeing you and I as Romeo and Juliet, or as Jack and Rose of Titanic."

At this she starts to sing 'My heart will go on' from Celine Dion. I nearly gag at this romantic crap and the imagination of my unnies doing that kind of stuff sends shivers down my spine.

I exclaim:

"Jihyo unnie only for your information both of those couples lost their life. If you don't want to lose yours as well since I am bound to kill you for your cutesy you better stop talking about such romantic crap and get back to your usual self, Park Jihyo, Twice's leader."

It seems like something switched inside of Jihyo unnie and out of a sudden she says in her normal tone:

"Chaeng, go to sleep now tomorrow you'll have to get up early again and I don't want you to fall asleep at dance practise. Don't worry about your relationship issues. Jungyeon and I will take care of that. Goodnight, shortie. Uh, by the way where is Chewie?"

I answer her while shrugging my shoulders:

"Yoda said she wanted to sleep over in the oldest member's room so she can be close to her love."

Both Jungyeon unnie and Jihyo unnie's eyes are widening at this and they ask at the same time:

"Which love?"

I chuckle at their behaviour and tell them casually:

"Nayeon unnie."

They completely lose it at this and storm out of my room. Sorry, Tzuyu and Nayeon unnie. Guess, they're after you...

 

The next morning I wake up by the voice of a peaceful buddha:

"Rise and shine."

I open my eyes and fear arises inside me at the sight of my roommate. She sits before me all calm from the outside. However that fire that's burning in her eyes tells me nothing good.

I stutter out while ducking my head just in case:

"G-goodmorning, Tzuyu-ah..."

And peng a hand lands on my head while she hisses dangerously low:

"You! Did you talk to the leader couple about me sleeping over at my girlfriend's room? We wanted some private time which got ruined by two furious unnies who scared Nayeon unnie for her dear life!"

I bite my lower lip and answer her guiltily:

"I guess that was my fault... They were asking me about where you were and I was only telling them the truth. Please forgive me, Tzuyu-ah. Don't be mad at me anymore. I am very sorry for what happened..."

She heaves a sigh and much to my surprise a smile forms on her face when she tells me:

"It's okay, Chaeng. You just might have saved me actually since having to share the room alongside the lovey dovey leader couple surely wouldn't have been very enjoyable for me. Also I have heard that Jungyeon unnie is snoring. I wonder how my poor princess and Jihyo unnie can even endure that..."

We both chuckle at this and soon we leave the room, in order to eat breakfast together with the others.

 

Once I enter the kitchen I notice that the kitchen table is decorated romantically. Who did this? My cheeks are heating up once I spot her sitting there on her own.

Where are the others? She looks even more beautiful than usual today. Her hair is falling down her back in smooth waves and she is wearing a cute dress with rose prints.

Oh my God, she looks like the definition of kawaii and mujaki. Yes, I watch too many anime. Don't judge me here, okay? I make my way over to her and stop before her.

She turns her gaze up shyly and her cheeks are fushed cutely as she whispers:

"Goodmorning, Chaeng..."

I bow down deeply before her and exclaim:

"Dahyun unnie, please forgive me for always pranking you like I did! I know that I've crossed the line yesterday and for that I am so incredibly sorry!

I never meant to hurt you. It's just that... I did it, in order to get your attention because... I like you, unnie..."

I said the last words only in a hushed whisper and my cheeks are surely as red as a tomato now. It feels like I'm in a shojo anime when she takes my hands into hers and tells me while blushing cutely:

"I like you as well, Chaeng. You succeeded, your childish pranks actually made me fall in love with you."

I look deep into her eyes and ask her in a serious tone:

"Kim Dahyun, would you like to be my girlfriend?"

She stays silent for a moment and it feels like my heart skips a beat. I sigh in relief when she answers me softly:

"Yes, I do."

Cheering can be heard and then the rest of our band comes out from their hiding spots one by one. They all congratulate us and we celebrate this special day with a cake Jihyo unnie has especially baked for this occassion.

Finally, my secret is revealed and we are together. However just because we are girlfriends now doesn't mean I will stop pulling pranks.

Once a prankster, always a prankster!

 

 

~The end~