It's a Fact

To Understand Love

                On Saturday morning Rena was having a lazy start, taking in the relaxing atmosphere of the sunlight streaming through her bedroom’s window onto her bed. Eventually, she made her way downstairs to get breakfast and checked the calendar to see when her parents would be arriving home from their last business trip. She had a little more than a week left of being alone.

                Daehyun had offered to let her move in with him when he moved out of his parent’s house but, Rena didn’t see a need. She had her space at home since her parents were usually gone. Being lawyers to the rich and famous they usually did house calls which meant traveling overseas as well. Company was nice to have but, friends were not too far away for when she got lonely. Daehyun, Youngjae and Layla were 15 minutes from her house living in the house Daehyun’s parents bought him, Zelo and Jongup while in their respected parent’s houses were each 5 minutes away, Himchan was about 10 minutes, and Yongguk was a 15 minute walk. So, even though she was alone, she never felt too far away from family if she needed it.

                She sipped on water as she trudged back upstairs to her room. She decided to take a hot shower before sitting down again because once she was on the internet it would be hours before she got up again. Before getting in, her phone vibrated alerting her to a text.

                DAEHYUN

                                Want us to pick you up on our way?

                ‘Ah crap I forgot we were all hanging out at Jongup’s house today.’ Rena groaned. She texted back yes but she still needed to shower.

                DAEHYUN

                                Taking Layla with. That okay?

                Rena frowned.

                                Why not? It’ll be fun.

                She jumped in the shower going faster than she had planned. She dried her hair, got dressed, and ready to go before they had arrived. Using her extra time she opened her computer to check her e-mail and social media sites. A sense of dread filled her when she checked her facebook. Sure enough another one was there.

                A new message from a different and weird account she would have to block again and there was a picture of Jongup spinning her yesterday looking so absolutely happy. She would have been happy to have this picture and show it to Jongup but, the accompanying text would make it hard explaining how she got it.

                STAY AWAY FROM JONGUP! HOW DARE YOU! I’LL KILL YOU!!!

                She couldn’t stop staring. First she was getting threats for dating Himchan and making him unhappy, then came the threats for breaking his heart, and now this.

                ‘I knew dating Jongup was a bad idea. I should have listened to myself…’ Rena scolded herself still unable to take her eyes off the screen. Not only had the threats come through facebook but also through her e-mail and stuck on her car windshield. She kept a copy of everything just in case. Her lawyer parents had taught her to keep all evidence and so she did although she didn’t think much of these threats. At first she thought they were a joke but now… now it she was getting them more frequently.

                The sound of her phone vibrating broke her one track thoughts. She sighed in relief when she saw it was Daehyun calling.

                “Daehyun, what’s up?” Rena asked, trying to keep the worry from her voice.

                “Hey we are here… are you okay?”

                Of course she couldn’t hide her emotions that easily from him. She cleared and slammed her laptop shut. “I’m fine. Just had some liquid go down the wrong pipe.” She coughed.

                “Okay… you coming down?” Daehyun asked still worried but, buying her story.

                Rena breathed out a sigh of relief, “Walking out the front door now,” she said while putting on her shoes by the front door. Closing her phone, she grabbed her purse and walked out the door, locking her front door before waving to the car.

                The three passengers waved back, Youngjae and Layla were in the back while Daehyun was in the front driving his BMW. She lightly jogged the few feet to the car and opened the passenger seat.

                “You guys didn’t need to save me the front seat, thank you.” Rena smiled at her friends as she buckled up. She frowned as she remembered Layla’s face and turned back to look at her. “Are you okay? You look a little down.”

                Layla smiled, “I’m okay.”

                “I’m more worried about you,” Daehyun said stopping Rena from asking more questions. He started driving away.

                “Me?” Rena looked at him. Even while he was looking at the road, she could see him still trying to get glimpses of her, checking on her with his mouth tensed.

                “Yes, you,” He finally said. “You are all alone in that big house. What would have happened if you were actually choking?”

                “Daehyun, I’m fine,” she stressed the word, holding it out longer to get her point across. “It wasn’t that serious. Plus, my parents come home now and then.”

                “Like once a month, if that!” Daehyun said quickly. “Honestly, I think you should consider moving in with us again.”

                “Moving in? Daehyun last I checked all your rooms were filled. That’s how we met the lovely Layla,” Rena smiled back at Layla then continued, “Where will you put me, the garage?” Rena rolled her eyes. “My parent’s house works for me. I don’t need to run from mine like you do.”

                “Youngjae and I could share a room letting you and Layla have your own rooms,” Daehyun offered while not addressing her last statements.

                “Hey!” Youngjae objected in the back.

                “Such a great friend,” Rena teased.

                Daehyun sighed, running his fingers through his dark brown hair, “I’m just worried about you all alone, Ren.”

                Rena smiled and laid her hand on his forearm, “Dae, I’m fine. I swear.”

                “And if something does happen?” He looked at her when they got to a stop sign. His emotions clouded his face and she knew his brain was ticking away at other ways to persuade her to live with him.

                “You would be my first call,” She looked him right in the eye, trying to show she was being honest.

                His lips tightened but knowing that was the best he would get, he turned back to the front and continued driving.

                “Oh, my Dae, always having to be my knight in shining armor,” Rena teased as she took her hand back.

                She and Youngjae laughed, knowing the joke. “Do you remember that one time he bribed me to be the villain so he could rescue you?” Youngjae asked.

                “He was so cute pretending to fight you and Yongguk off to save me,” Rena let the teasing continue.

                “That was a long time ago,” Daehyun grumbled.

                “I still remember it like it was yesterday.” Youngjae sighed dramatically while rubbing his shoulder, the place Daehyun had hit him quite hard with his foam sword.

                “You’ve been together a really long time,” Layla spoke up, saving Daehyun from more embarrassment. “I know you are childhood friends but, when did you meet?”

                Rena smiled at Daehyun and ruffled his hair, “Daehyun and I have known each other since we were only months old. My parents would talk business with his and let us play together with his nannies.”

                “My parents were friends with Daehyun’s parents but, we didn’t move closer until we were all about 2, I believe,” Youngjae supplied.

                “And the others?” Layla asked as they all got out of the car finally at Jongup’s house.

                “Himchan’s mom was childhood friend’s with my mom,” Rena said smiling while trying to hide the pain of talking about Himchan, “I honestly don’t know if I knew Daehyun or Himchan first but, our parents would have us do play dates.”

                “Jongup’s parents were friends with Himchan’s parents from work. So soon after Jongup was born he joined in,” Daehyun helped explain.

                “Yongguk is a friend Himchan made in preschool when he had to go before us and Zelo was originally a friend Jongup made at the park when he was the only one not in preschool,” Youngjae finished.

                “Wow, friends before you even could talk,” Layla said astonished.

                “It was hard growing up the only girl,” Rena faked terror in her voice, “I’m so glad you are here Layla.”

                Daehyun and Youngjae made complaints and said she was exaggerating as they walked in Jongup’s parent’s house.

                “You didn’t hang out with any girls?” Layla asked confused.

                Rena shrugged, “It just worked out that way.”

                “Hey!” Zelo rushed out the kitchen. “Finally made it. What are we talking about?”

                “Rena not having gal-pals,” Youngjae teased as he walked by her sticking his tongue out before going into the kitchen for food. He held onto his camera around his neck, always ready to take a picture.

                Layla looked at them confused, especially Daehyun who squeezed Rena’s shoulder comfortingly before following Youngjae into the kitchen. “Is there something wrong?”

                Zelo smiled, “Nah, but it is kind of our fault.”

                “Oh, you are included in this now too?” Rena teasingly pinched his cheek.

                “Maybe!” Zelo rubbed his cheek. “I like to think you made the ladies jealous because you were friends with me too.”

                Rena laughed, “Probably.”

                “Ah,” Layla said catching Rena’s eye again who sighed.

                “It was never long before my so-called friends would spread rumors that I was dating all of the boys at once or, other more ual things. And, my boys are more important to me so eventually I stopped trying to make new friends.”

                “You’ve all had quite the life,” Layla shook her head in disbelief.

                Rena shrugged again and led the way to the kitchen where she assumed everyone was. Jongup’s house was a pretty good size although small compared to Daehyun or Himchan’s mansions. It was nice and cozy though so, it was a common hangout spot for the group. Walking into the kitchen and grabbing food felt as common as if it was her own house. It was the same at everyone’s house making it feel like she had 6 other houses, now 7 if she counted Daehyun’s new house his parents bought him which he shared with Youngjae, and Layla who paid rent.

                Before Rena could finish saying hey and see who all had arrived already, she was hugged by Jongup, almost knocking her backwards again.

                She laughed though, warm welcomes from Zelo and Jongup were not too uncommon, “If you hold much tighter I won’t be able to breathe.”

                Jongup released her and then grabbed her hand before looking at the kitchen table, “So, I wanted to let you all know, we’re dating now.”

                Rena’s eye widened at how quickly and nonchalantly he said it, as if he was reporting facts. She looked at the table and there was everyone besides Zelo and Layla behind her. It was so silent in the room that they could have heard a pin drop, or maybe that was all in Rena’s head because there was Himchan in front of her again and she was unprepared. In two months she had seen him a couple of times and had been doing okay until they had relapsed a few weeks back. Since then the atmosphere had been awkward. She couldn’t blame him since she had dumped him out of the blue.

                She tore her eyes away from his stone-like expression and looked at Yongguk instead. He looked at her in surprise, “Really?”

                “Why would we lie?” Jongup asked happily. “I thought we should tell everyone.”

                “Is this why you and Himchan broke up?” Zelo asked curiously as he grabbed chips from the top of the fridge.

                Himchan sighed, “Zelo…”

                “What?”

                Himchan stood up and walked out of the other kitchen exit, “Anyone want to play ping pong?”

                “I’ll play,” Layla said meekly when no one was answering.

                “Me too!” Jongup brought Rena to the table, then after squeezing her shoulder, went to play.

                ‘Jongup… sometimes you really can’t read the atmosphere…’ Rena groaned and sat down. She looked around the room and saw everyone studying her. “So, who wants to start first?”

                Youngjae and Daehyun sat down on either side of her, while Yongguk was already sitting across from her. Zelo hopped up on the counter and stared her down while munching on his chips.

                Yongguk stretched, then leaned forward, his hands clasped on the table in front of him. He looked at her, eyes never blinking as he stared her down.

                She fidgeted in her seat. There was no other sound in the room except for Zelo eating and eventually she couldn’t keep silent anymore.

                “I don’t know what you want me to say! He asked me out!”

                “Jongup did?” Zelo said with his mouth full.

                She rolled her eyes, “No, the gardener. Yes, Jongup! I’m just as surprised as the rest of you.”

                “But why?” Youngjae asked.

                Rena sighed, “I don’t know. He said he might have feelings for me and… things. I didn’t think he would blurt it out like that.”

                “So, you wanted to hide it from us?” Yongguk finally spoke up in his deep and commanding voice. She crumbled under his voice, much the same as his glare. Yongguk was like the older brother she never had.

                “No! No!” Rena said quickly. “I only—I didn’t—not like this,” Rena flung her arm out around the kitchen, trying to point out the prior scene. “He only asked me out yesterday. We’ve barely been dating for a day—not even a day. Of course, I would tell you guys. You’re like family!”

                “A weird family if she’s going to be dating brothers,” Zelo chuckled.

                “This is part of the reason I was hesitating to say anything so outright,” She sent a glare in the younger boy’s direction. “I told him no and he chased me down and asked again.”

                “He wants to date you?” Daehyun asked quietly.

                She looked him curiously, never seeing the other speaking so weakly, “Yeah.”

                “You are using Jongup as a rebound,” Youngjae said matter-of-factly while stealing some of Zelo’s chips.

                “He told me to!” Rena tried to defend herself.

                Yongguk lifted an eyebrow at this, “He wants to be your rebound?”

                “No one wants to be a rebound,” Daehyun scoffed.

                Rena shrugged, “I don’t know what to tell you.”

                “Hey, Jongup!”Zelo shouted, “Did you tell Rena to use you as a rebound?”

                “Yeah!” He shouted back.

                Rena lifted her hands up, “See? He’s trying to help my… Himchan and my situation in his own way.”

                Yongguk nodded and leaned back, “I don’t like this situation. I do understand where he is coming from but, I’m worried this will make it worse.”

                Rena leaned back as well and exhaled, “He’s tough to say no to.”

                Yongguk’s lips lifted into a grin, “Knowing you, I’m surprised you said no to him.”

                Zelo chuckled, “She’s such a pushover.”

                “Only to my boys because I love you all,” she grinned before tousling Youngjae and Daehyun’s hair.

                “Hey!” They shouted.

                “Blame Junhong. I would have done worse but, I can’t reach him.”

                “Yeah, because you’ll never reach my height, shrimpy,” Zelo smirked.

                “Oh that is it, Junhong!” Smiling, Rena jumped from her seat and rounded the table to grab him. The giant was too tall though and in only one hop and a step he was out of the kitchen. Zelo’s 187cm were used effectively being a dancer while Rena’s 170cm were a bit clumsy. She ran after him while he only sped his walk up, laughing at her all the while.

                “Trying to catch me, shrimpy?” Zelo laughed and Rena picked up her pace.

                “Bear!” Rena pointed to the wall in a last ditch effort and Zelo looked. While looking he slowed and she sprinted the last of the distance and jumped on his back. “I gotcha, you overgrown child!”

                Zelo stumbled into the game room but, gained his balance while Rena messed up his hair. “Ren, stop!”

                “How did you even fall for that?” Himchan shook his head.

                “No. Now who is a pushover?” Rena laughed evilly.

                Zelo groaned while Jongup and Layla laughed. “Well, I’ve got you and now I’m not letting you go!”

                “Wha—Junhong!” Rena held on tightly as he began to run around the room crazily making it seem like he was going to drop her. “Please don’t drop me!”

                “Call me Zelo,” Zelo said as jumped up and down.

                “How do you have this strength?!”

                “Call me Zelo, Rini,” Zelo chuckled.

                “Zelo, Zelo Zelo! Now let me down,” Rena pleaded.

                “There you go, I think we proved you are a pushover,” Zelo let go of her legs and she slid down.

                Rena pouted, “I don’t remember raising you to be this mean, do you, Him... Himchan?” She stuttered. She didn’t mean to call out to him but she didn’t want to make things awkward so she finished her sentence. Rena looked at him, catching surprise before he faked a smile.

                “I don’t know how it happened. Perhaps it is his rebellious stage,” Himchan fanned himself with his ping pong paddle.

                Rena tsked, “At least Jongup grew up well.”

                “So proud,” Himchan grinned, settling back into the normal swing of things.

                Zelo rolled his eyes, “This is getting weird. They say they raised us but, the older sibling bit doesn’t work anymore when you start dating someone you raised.”

                Rena was silent not sure how to respond.

                “Zelo, are you jealous?” Jongup grinned with a mischievous glint in his eye. “If you wanted to date her—“

                “Stop, gross, no,” Zelo retreated from the room, shuddering as he went.

                The small group laughed at Zelo’s departure. They all shared smiles at their collaborative win, Layla included.

                “Just like old times,” Rena said to Himchan, smiling.

                “Yeah,” He smiled at her and the sight shocked her out of her good mood. Her heart beat strong in her chest and she could feel the love she still held for him. Loving someone for almost all of one’s life was hard to get over but, she had to try. Himchan caught on to her mood and turned away his now black hair shielding his eyes from her.

                Layla cleared , “Should we continue playing?”

                “Want to join?” Jongup asked Rena.

                “No, I’m okay. I need a drink after all that excitement,” Rena tried smiling at Jongup and then quickly departed the room.

                “Rena?” Jongup caught up to her in the living room. “Are you okay? Did Junhong really scare you? If he did—“

                “It isn’t him. I’m okay,” Rena smiled at him. “Thank you for asking.”

                “You aren’t okay,” Jongup frowned.

                “I…” Rena paused as she looked back at the game room where she could hear the sound of the ping pong ball. She also thought about the death threats worried about the escalation. “I’m dealing with things but, I’ll be okay. I promise, Jongup.”

                Jongup gingerly lifted his hand and finally settled with placing it on top of her head, not sure where else to put it. That act made Rena laugh.

                Jongup smiled gently, “I want to make you happy.”

                “I know,” Rena smiled back at him.

                “Well I’ll be damned,” Youngjae said suddenly. “They actually look like they are dating.”

                “Kind of…” Daehyun said.

                Rena and Jongup looked over at the other boys who were staring at them from the kitchen doorway.

                Yongguk also appeared and gave them a funny smile.

                Jongup moved his arm from her head to around her shoulders and pulled her close, “I told you we were.”

                “I never expected this,” Yongguk said amazed.

                “I know what you mean,” Rena said quietly.

                “But, you haven’t been on a date yet have you?” Youngjae said. “Being on an actual date might change how you feel, Jongup.”

                “What?” Rena asked.

                “That’s a great idea!” Jongup shouted over Rena’s confusion.

                “You want to go on a date?” Rena asked.

                “Of course!” Jongup answered, “I said I wanted to date you. I meant it.”

                “If that’s true,” Yongguk pulled out his wallet and pulled out two tickets, “take these.”

                Rena and Jongup looked at them, “Club tickets? I didn’t know clubs had tickets.”

                “I’m doing a gig tonight for a club downtown and they gave me VIP tickets for myself and a friend.”

                “You don’t want them?” Jongup asked.

                Yongguk shrugged, “I don’t plan on staying after I finish the DJ job.”

                “Thanks, Yongguk,” Rena hugged him. “I love watching you preform. Are you sure you don’t need help setting up? You haven’t asked in a while.”

                “I’ve got it covered,” Yongguk smiled.

                “We are going on a date!” Jongup shouted with a smile.

                Rena looked at the happy Jongup and started feeling nervous but, also excited. Even if the night got awkward at least the music would be good and with their group, as long as the music was good, nothing could go wrong.