001

Realize

Yerin/Taehyung

 

He’d always been one step ahead of him. He always started his work first and he always finished before anyone else. He asked the right questions first, talked to the girls first, and was their first crush. His friend Nam Taehyun, who got the majority of his name and left him to pick a letter to salvage it, had beaten him yet again except this time he had won the one thing Taehyung had wanted most of all . . . her.

 

 

To say that Jung Yerin was the most beautiful girl in school would’ve been an overstatement but to say she was ugly could get you a beating from most guys. She was witty and outgoing with a smile that could light up any barren classroom. Her large eyes drooped a bit at the ends and always held an innocent look to them. Her face kept kept the excess baby-fat that coated her cheeks which gave her a youthful glow and her minimalistic make-up style only further enhanced it.

 

 

V, as everyone called him, had known Yerin since kindergarten. They lived relatively close to each other and had gotten along well during their childhood. It wasn’t until they started junior high that they drifted apart. They were past that age where they could still walk home and play without people asking them if they were dating. In fact it was V who started ignoring her first and thinking of it only made him punch his bedroom’s wall even harder. He remembered the bewildered looks she would give him when he didn’t greet her in the mornings. The deep-set frown on her face when him and his friends got scolded by the principal. The indifference in her eyes when she saw him in her homeroom on their first day of high school. It was then when he felt something stir inside of him. Everything that had made her annoying when they were in middle school were now her charms. Her bright personality brought her many suitors and V heard all about it during gym. The older they got, the more crude these suitors and their comments got and it only pissed him off more. Of course she wouldn’t know that while she smiled at these guys, V beat them up after school.

 

 

However nothing could prepare him for the shock he got when Nam Taehyun, pretty boy and one of V’s friends, walked hand-in-hand with Yerin to the front of school. V stood stunned as Yerin smiled shyly at Taehyun. His jaw clenched when Taehyun caught a lock of her hair between his fingers and kissed it. And he almost lurched himself at Taehyun when he kissed her lightly on the lips.

 

 

The next week after she came home from her date with Taehyun, he almost confessed to her as she stared at him completely dumbfounded. He almost embraced her when he caught her by the wrist. He almost forgot about the world when he kissed her but her unresponsive lips, the harsh sound of skin on skin, and the pain on his left cheek paired with the icy look on her face was like a shower of cold water that returned him to reality.