Beautiful Stranger

Beautiful Stranger

Park Chanyeol loved parks. Especially on rainy days. It was when heavy water drops where falling copious on the ground that he would went outside, immersing himself in nature. There was something fascinating him about the way slice of his city were reflecting on those newly formed water’s spectrum. The quiet atmosphere of almost desert streets or maybe, it was simply the different sounds that the rain produced after covering – even for a mere seconds – everything. They were sweet melodies filling his ears, playing in his mind and soothing his soul. His masterpieces were born like that.

It was during those days that Chanyeol felt inspired the most. He didn’t need to search for that something that his works lacked previously.

Heavens were blessing him today with a really nice downpour. He was strolling down the usual path he took towards his favorite park. It was near his house and it wasn’t a very known place. A big smile crossed his face since he was already anticipating the sight that was awaiting him, his fingers twitching excitingly around the wooden handle of his umbrella. He watched a couple of people, running past him trying to find cover inside a bar or a cafe and he couldn’t help but shook his head lightly. They didn’t know what they were missing.

Finally the sight of green, high trees entered his view and Chanyeol took a deep breath, his lips trembling a bit. He crossed the street, his long legs taking big steps until he finally was into his paradise on earth. He closed his eyelids and focused his senses on what was happening around him. No trace of cars rushing on the road or buses, no loud shriek of high schooler thrilled about something or anger adults yelling at the phone. What Chanyeol could hear was the soft sound of the rain, rolling down the leaves before breaking on the hard concreate. Notes began to form into Chanyeol's head as he twirled his umbrella, humming a nameless song together with the weather. He walked leisurely, without caring if his new shoes were getting dirty thanks to the thick layer of mud that his personal muse had created.

He eyed his typical spot, a black iron bench shielded by the biggest tree of the small park. Once he was some meters away from it, he stopped in his track. His gaze stuck on a figure occupying his place. For some reason he wasn’t able to tear his eyes from that stranger. Chanyeol could only see their profile and he took his time analyzing the stranger. He was a young man, sitting with a restless expression, like something was haunting him. His elbows, covered by a sage green jacket – too light for the wind that was shaking the vegetation – under that a sanded turtleneck sweater was showing, were pressed on his knees. A wrinkled piece of paper was standing between his masculine yet small hands. Chanyeol’s eyes moved on his features while rain drops were descending from his dark brown hair – completely wet – down to his straight nose, caressing the high cheekbones and the sharp jawline, before separating from his chin and joining the ground. His long lashes casted even darker shadows on his eyes, kneaded by the water. Behind them the contrast of the dying light of the sunset, eaten by gray and cerulean clouds.

Chanyeol found himself totally drown by the scene standing before his eyes. If he had been a photographer that would had been a masterwork, that he would had captured with his camera. Instead in his mind a storm of notes was messing around, the finger of his free hands mimicking the movements he would do on the piano keys.

Chanyeol moved - driven by an unspeakable instinct – closer to the unknown man until he was towering above him, covering his form with the umbrella. He hold his breath when the surprised eyes of the stranger looked up at him. Chanyeol detected a dissipated hope obscuring those new dark chocolate orbs. They silently stared at each other until the man averted his eyes, clenching in a fist the letter in his hands while the other covered his face. A wry and bitter chuckle entered Chanyeol’s pointy ears as his gaze fixed on the stranger.

Something clicked inside Chanyeol. His long beloved sounds of the rain muffled by that short fragment of the unknown man’s voice. A raising desire burning from the depth of his being.

He wanted to hear that voice.

He needed to hear it again.

So, he just kept on standing there, waiting.

After a bunch of minutes, that really felt like an eternity – the young man lifted his head once more. Two small rivers had formed on his cheeks and Chanyeol could tell by his blood shot eyes that they weren’t made by the rain. The thin rosy and faintly opened lips were dry and ruined by nervous teeth. This didn’t stop Chanyeol to notice the adorable corners, which were naturally curled.

“I’m sorry.” The man mumbled, his voice barely audible over the loud roaring water.

Chanyeol’s ears didn’t miss it, anyway.

“I must look so pathetic.” The stranger continued with a shaky but self-deprecating tone, slumping back on the bench.

Chanyeol just thought how that voice must have sound melodious, filling an empty room with laughter.

The young man stirred again, leaning forward, tugging at his dark locks while Chanyeol concentrated his attention on the muffled sighs and unsteady breaths. His sight stopped on a puddle formed at the strangers feet. He could clearly see the other man’s face distorted by pain, silent tears adding at the small pool. Chanyeol could also view his own feature, in his eyes he recognized a sparks that he only showed to rainy parks.

A somewhat childish, unrealistic and cheap romance like idea formed in his mind. These were the last days of February, the weather was indecisive  but, sun had shone bright for the past weeks. He had been stuck on a melody that he wasn’t able to complete. He had waited for the rain really badly, longing for hearing it knocking at his window. Chanyeol hadn’t been satisfied till today with a sudden downpour. In front of him, sat at his usual place a stranger, looking objectively miserable.

Although, in his eyes he was just stunning .

With his presence this man, that he had never seen before, had taken the spotlight that usually Chanyeol directed towards nature, monopolizing it. Turning his head in a confused and chaotic record, a page filled with meaningless lyrics yet oddly fascinating. He couldn’t describe it but it was an unfinished, nameless melody that was desperately asking him to be not thrown away, pleading for a second chance.

“I think you’re beautiful.”

The words left Chanyeol’s lips, reverberating thru the wet and humid park. He was surprised at how calm he sounded, knowing that his inside was victim of a terrible storm. The stranger shot up his face, an incredulous expression shaping his already ragged and worn out features. He must had been surprised and ready to snap back at Chanyeol, however, his mouth just hang opened. This was the first moment that he actually looked closely to the man who was sheltering him from the rain and, he had to admit that it was a tall good looking man. His pupils widened as he was devoured by Chanyeol’s serous and intense gaze.

Chanyeol had no doubt, the rain today was falling for that stranger and not for him. For the first time he felt okay with it, he didn’t care that his jealously treasured muse was showing interest in somebody else.

“I’m Park Chanyeol.” He said in a soft tone that almost felt unnatural for his deep voice but, he was trying to be careful.

Careful to not break that already cracked tiny man, soaked wet from head to toe.

“I’m Kim Jongdae.” The other replied, his trance state slowly disappearing as his watery eyes lost another tear.

Chanyeol released a long sigh before showing a sweet and genuine smile at the stranger – or better Jongdae. He put himself in front of him, under the peering and a little expecting look that Jongdae was flashing at him. With the umbrella, tightly hold in one hand, Chanyeol bend down until his eyes were at the same level of Jongdae’s ones. He took sight of Jongdae’s moist lips thanks to the rain and his tears. He looked up once again and heard the other swallowing his own sip, his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down. He found the gesture kind of cute so he gave Jongdae one last glance, searching his eyes. Chanyeol lowered his eyelids as his mouth trailed its way towards the one of the young broken man he had just met. A brief innocent touch, that tasted salty, slightly ferrous and that smelled like rain.

The red umbrella wasn’t above their heads anymore. Chanyeol had moved it to side, wanting to hide that moment even from the park that was surrounding them. Instead, the paper in Jongdae’s hands fell on the puddle, drowning into that small ocean at their feet.

Chanyeol could hear the rain slowing down, but he didn’t felt the familiar disappointment. He smiled, content.

A new overwhelming melody was filling his head and, he was sure, that he had found the muse he was wanting for all along.

 

 

Am I someone who engraved my existence to you like the rain?

If not then, am I just someone who came and went like a rain shower?

Because honestly, I don’t want to be only a stranger to you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________

A/N : I had fun writing this and I'm happy about how it turned out. Last three verse are taken from BTS' song "Rain" since I was inspired by it.

Hope you enjoyed it.