FINAL

Eldest Child

 

Bang Daehyun is Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan’s eldest child in their family. He was adopted by the pair when he was merely a week old. He was 7 months old when Bang Youngjae was brought into the family. Since then, their parents’ attention was divided. Him being the eldest was paid less attention as Youngjae needed more help being the newest addition and the latter was just a week old baby.

When Daehyun was almost two years old, Yongguk and Himchan decided to adopt another baby named Bang Jongup. It seemed like the couple loved adopting babies. Daehyun being the eldest was paid even lesser attention because Jongup was a baby who needed help and Youngjae was still not capable of helping Himchan umma babysits Jongup. Daehyun could already talk, so Daehyun can watch over Jongup for Himchan umma.

Bang Junhong was welcomed to the family when Daehyun was three years old. At three years old, Daehyun was just like any other kids. He liked to scream a lot and he liked to cause trouble to his parents. Every time Daehyun was up to no good, Youngjae will always be there to “help” him. Jongup was a quiet baby, so he liked to stare at his brothers making trouble that causes Himchan umma’s headache.

Junhong cries too much, Daehyun thought as he poked his baby brother’s chubby cheeks once or twice. The baby had finally sleeping after crying for half an hour, hungry and Himchan umma couldn’t give the baby the milk quick enough because Jongup just pooped and the toddler cried because Jongup was not comfortable!

Junhong stirred because of Daehyun’s unending poking to the baby’s cheeks. After few times, the baby cried again as his sleeping was disturbed.

“Bang Daehyun! Why did you make your brother cry?! Umma just brought him to sleep not even an hour ago! Go to the living room, NOW!”

Himchan umma was furious. Daehyun didn’t understand? He was just wanted to play with Junhong’s cheeks. Daehyun pouted. Everyone kept scolding him and he just didn’t understand?

Daehyun was always scolded for simplest of things like eating too many cookies for the day or, stealing his siblings’ food or, refusing to take naps or when he peed accidentally because he forgot to go to the toilet to pee.

The scolding got more serious as he grew up like, not doing his homework, not helping Himchan umma babysits Junhong until the toddler accidentally cut his own hair with a scissor and gave Himchan umma a heart attack.

Daehyun didn’t mind Himchan umma’s nagging but the scolding always came from Yongguk appa. Often Yongguk appa would put him on timeout and punish him for not doing his chores or dirtied his shoes just because he played soccer with his friends in the rain.

Yongguk appa never scold Youngjae or Jongup.

Because Youngjae always does everything he was ordered and Jongup was a good and quiet kid. Daehyun was mischievous and naughty. He knew that.

Daehyun was 13 and there was a talent contest at his school. Daehyun wanted to join badly because he loved singing. He wanted to show to his umma and appa that he is a son that they can be proud of. A son that they would not be embarrassed to tell to their neighbors because Yongguk appa had to come to school one day because he had got into a fight just because he punched a kid who for having a male as a mother figure.

Daehyun practiced every day after school, often going home only when the sun was setting. Himchan umma was worried but Daehyun did not understand why he needs to be. It would be less trouble at home for Himchan umma if he was not at home. He only causes trouble. That was why Yongguk appa kept scolding him, right? Daehyun was only a trouble to his parents.

“Where were you?” Yongguk appa’s voice boomed throughout the whole house that evening. They were about to have dinner when Daehyun opened the front door.

“At school,” Daehyun said, short and simple.

He was tired and his throat was aching. He felt like skipping dinner and just take a nap. He can eat later when everybody was asleep. That way, nobody can tell him that he eats too much, that he needed to leave some for his siblings. It would be easier if it was only him eating the leftovers that no one else in the house wants.

“What were you doing so late? School finished at 3 pm. It’s 7 pm now. Where have you been in the last four hours?!”

Yongguk appa was furious. Daehyun frowned.

His siblings sat at the dining table with their heads down, scared at their father. Himchan umma was in the kitchen. He too did not move a muscle because of his husband.

“I told you, I was at school,” Daehyun said, brows furrowed together. Why was his dad so angry?

“Do not lie to me, Bang Daehyun.”

“I’m not lying! Why would I lie to you?!”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

“I have nothing to tell you because I did nothing,” Daehyun said, starting to get angry.

“You did nothing in the last four hours? Is that why you couldn’t pick up Junhong? Because you were busy doing nothing?!”

Oh , Daehyun thought. He totally forgot that Himchan umma had a dentist appointment today and he was told to pick up Junhong from his school.

“I’m sorry...”

“Your brother had to wait two hours alone at school for your umma to finally pick him up. He was scared and alone, Daehyun! Sorry, wouldn’t cut it!”

“I-“ Daehyun looked at 12-year-old Youngjae and 11-year-old Jongup.

“Why couldn’t they help pick him up?!” Daehyun shouted. “Why is it always me?!”

“Youngjae had tuition today. Jongup had dance class. They were both busy,” Yongguk appa said, voice low and dangerous.

“And you assumed I’m not?!”

“Yes! Because you never do anything right! You’re always up to no good and we are sick of it!” Yongguk appa was standing right in front him, looking scary and intimidating.

Daehyun was taken aback by that. Never did he thought his parents would get sick of him. He thought he was their child?

“Oh…”

Yongguk saw the look on his son’s face and he knew he went overboard.

“I’m sorry. I won’t do it again. I’m sorry that you’re sick of me,” Daehyun said before he ran upstairs.

 “He had a vocal lesson,” Youngjae said, as the door to Daehyun’s room upstairs closed loudly.

“What?” Himchan appeared from the kitchen.

He exchanged looks with his husband as Youngjae continues, “He had a vocal lesson. He wanted to join talent contest at our school. That was why he always came home late. I’m sorry… He didn’t want me to tell you guys. He wanted it to be a surprise. He said he wanted to show to you guys that he’s a son that both of you can be proud of. Because he’s doing something good,” Youngjae said.

Yongguk rubbed his face a few times. Himchan looked at him with eyes that said, you’re in trouble.

 

Later that night…

 

Daehyun couldn’t stop the tears from flowing. He sniffled quietly because he did not want his parents to know he cried. He had cried himself to sleep and now that he was awake again, he remembered his father’s words. And he cried again. He was the eldest child. He had to be strong no matter how much he wanted to break down.

Someone knocked on the door and Daehyun went quiet. He was hoping anybody at the door would think he was sleeping and left him alone.

Fat chance because whoever was at the door opened the door and came inside anyway.

“Daehyun?”

Daehyun turned around when he heard his appa’s voice. He quickly sat up while wiping his tears quickly before trying to regain control to his voice before saying, “Yes sir?”

Yongguk’s heart hurt a little hearing his son calling him sir instead of Appa like his other children.

Yongguk sat at the side of Daehyun’s bed, watching his son looking down in obedience. The kid was probably scared of what Yongguk would say next.

Instead of saying anything, Yongguk brought Daehyun in his arms and hugged his son.

Daehyun was too taken aback by that gesture to even register what was happening. The next thing he knows, he was crying in his appa’s arms.

Yongguk rocked his son’s body few times and said, “Appa is sorry, Daehyun…”

Another body hugged him and he recognized the smell as his Himchan umma.

“We’re both sorry,” Himchan said. “We didn’t realize that we had put pressure on you just because you’re the eldest. We didn’t take your feelings into account. It had always been that way and we are so sorry…”

“You’re still a kid, a growing teen at that and we expected you to do more. We’re very sorry, son.”

Yongguk pushed released his arms and cupped Daehyun’s face. Himchan wiped the snots and the tears from his son’s face before planted a kiss on his forehead.

“Would you forgive us?”

Daehyun nodded, trying to control his tears.

“We both love you very much, son. We’re sorry that we had treated you unfairly between you and your siblings. You are never a trouble to us. Sure, you’re a mischievous and full of tricks kind of kid but all kids are like that. We are both proud of you. I’m proud of you. Sometimes when appa scold you, it’s because I want to set you straight. Not because I dislike you or anything. Do not think of yourself like that. Appa is sorry for what I said just now. We are not sick of you. You are our son. You are my son. I will never be sick of you,” Yongguk said.

Daehyun hugged his father once again for a while before Himchan said, “Now, now. I brought you dinner. You can eat however much you want. But don’t tell your brothers.”

Himchan giggled as he saw the light in Daehyun’s eyes. His son looked so happy just with food.

Yongguk stared at Daehyun being fed by his umma. Sometimes laughed together with them as Himchan made another lame joke.

I’ve always been proud of you, son.

 

 


 

 

Had to get this out. Comment pls. I love reading your comments. Upvote. :)