The Heart Remembers

The Heart Remembers

It was close to sunset when you struggled to get up from your chair on the porch.

 
"GD? Is anything wrong? Where are you going?" I asked.
 
You looked at me without really seeing me, your eyes focused more on the woods in front of the house. "I need to find  Youngbae." you said. 
 
I took a deep breath. There was no use in explaining it to you again. I stood up also. "Okay, I'll go with you." I said. You smiled. I miss seeing your smiles. You used to smile all the time, but now they are few and far between.  Slowly we make our way down the path through the woods and to the ocean. When we first moved here, there was no path but after years of taking these walks we have created one. "Be careful of this branch" I say to you. You nod, and take my hand in yours. After a few minutes you stop and look around, your eyes landing on me.
 
"Youngbae?" you ask. 
 
I look at you with a few tears streaming down my cheeks. "Yes," I say softly, I'm right here."  
 
"Bae, where have you been? I've been looking everywhere." you ask me.
 
"I'm sorry babe, I promise, I'll never leave your side." I kiss you, you smile. "I love you Ji" 
 
"I love you too Bae." you say. Then your face becomes blank again, and you panic.
 
"Youngbae!" you scream looking around frantically, "Youngbae! Where are you?"  Then looking at me you ask, "Have you seen Youngbae?"
 
"Don't worry, he'll be back soon." I say. You look confused. "Do you want some hot chocolate?" 
 
"With whipped cream?" you ask.
 
"Of course." I say as I lead you back to the house. 
 
I spend the night listening to you tell me stories of how you were in a band and fell in love with Youngbae, you show me pictures from a worn album, and I see the sparkle in your eyes when you talk about the love of your life. It makes me happy that some part of you deep down hasn't forgotten me, or our love. I suppose that will have to be enough. I will never regret taking care of you, and I live for the few moments each day when you come back to me, and we can share one more kiss.