December

December

 

Doojoon saw her walking away. He tried to call out for her but the words just didn’t seems to come out. He flailed his arms helplessly.

‘No! Don’t go! Don’t leave me!’

He screamed the words.

To him it was loud enough and the love of his life was supposed to hear him. But never did she turned around, never once did she glanced back at him.

And suddenly, everything turned dark, cold and filled with silence. His world changed to the colour he hated the most, black.

Doojoon screamed for help again and again.

He was sure that it was loud. Loud enough for someone to actually hear him and come to rescue him from that horrible, horrible dark place.

But no one came…

Never did he realize that all those time, he was shouting and screaming with all his might, it was all in his head.

Only to himself and he was the only one who could hear it.

=======

Doojoon walked down the street briskly, just finished grocery shopping and buying stuff to eat for another few weeks.

The store wasn’t that far from his home but the idea of going there again didn’t flatter him much. He knew that he just didn’t like going out.

Meeting people is not one of his favorite activities and never will be.

Sure, it was nice to breathe fresh air after days of locking himself in his old apartment. It was nice, really...

But he would rather breathe the same old air he’d been breathing all these years, even if it’s not fresh. As long as he won’t ever, even in a slight chance would stumble upon another being who would hurt him again.

He’ll stay the way he is. Even if it’s lonely and quiet. Just as long as he won’t have to risk scarring his already full with ugly scars heart.

Doojoon fastened his steps. Wishing on how wonderful it’d be if he have wings and could fly. He wanted to be home. Faster.

He wanted to sit on his sofa and under his blanket, sipping warm chocolate. All comfy and safe.

The streets were quiet, pretty quiet if it were compared to the last time he walked along them. It was quiet for a small town like this.

There were no signs of children running around and old ladies shouting and attracting attention for people to stop by their shop.

No trails of young men carrying goods on their back and settling them into the stores for sale or hints of young ladies selling flowers on the street side.

‘What month was now?’ He wondered to himself.‘December? Oh, no wonder…’

The air was too cold for the children to play, too cold for the ladies to shouts or for the boys and girls to work and it was too cold even for the flowers to stay blossomed.

It was too cold for him too…

Doojoon adjusted his winter muffler. He clutched his jacket and rested one of his hands inside the front pocket with the other firmly wrapped around the grocery bag.

Beautiful white flakes started to fall from the sky.

Doojoon raised his face to look up. It was snowing. One of the cold flakes fell right under his left eye. Doojoon blinked and wiped it away as he felt it melting down.

“What’s wrong, Mister?” A soft voice echoed. “Are you crying?”

Doojoon turned to his side.

A figure of a beautiful young lady with long flowy black hair greeted him. She was a few inches shorter than him, wearing a white long sweater dress and a pair of winter boots.

Standing there and innocently beaming a soft smile to Doojoon.

Doojoon hate black but he can never hate the girl’s black hair.

Her smile was warm. It makes Doojoon heart feels so warm.

Although the smile filled with worry, it was still wide and toothy and as sweet as mountain dew.

The smile glistened under the snow somehow and Doojoon had never seen anything as breathtakingly beautiful as that.

It was colorful, contradicted to her jet-black hair.  Doojoon could feel how the smile unintentionally sprinkling his scarred, empty heart with drops of colours.

Happy colours that were too foreign for him. But he was very sure that it was the same colours as the rainbows he used to see…

Doojoon’s heart ached so much.

Out of the blue, his eyes watered. He could feel warm tears streaming down his face without even giving him a warning.

‘I am now…’

Upon seeing the flowing tears, the smile on the girl’s face disappeared abruptly only to be replaced by a frown of worry. Doojoon gasped, almost losing the grip on the crumpled grocery bag.

He wanted to see that smile again. He wanted appreciate it longer. Why did it go away so fast?

“Are you hurt?” A question surfaced. It was a normal question every human would ask after seeing a grown man cried.

Doojoon wiped the tears away with the back of his hand. He shook his head and gathered his courage to say something.

But he can’t…

Instead, he just turned back around and jogged away, leaving the latter standing there alone, confused.

=======

Two cold days passed by.

It was different, not the same days stuffed with loneliness.

He wasn’t even sure if he’s lonely anymore cause there’s this new sense forcefully cramming into his heart.

The sense of longing and yearning, yearning for that very beautiful smile.  

Sitting on the sofa with his blanket wrapped around his body didn’t seems to calm him down any longer. And it was starting to stress him out.

He need to see that smile again, he must.

So Doojoon decided to go back to the empty street.

He dragged his feet tentatively at first but the pace fastened, as he was getting closer and closer.

And there he was…

Standing alone on the street side in the cold air, waiting for the owner of the beautiful smile to come and greet him.

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes changed to hours.

But the person he’s waiting for never showed up…

Doojoon started to drag his feet and walked away but then a sweet voice stopped him.

“Aren’t you cold?”

Doojoon his heels and there she was, innocently beaming her smile, so sincerely.

He was sure that fate loved him that day.

They looked up to the sky as they saw snowflakes started to fall again and one of them fell right on the beautiful girl’s soft cheek.

Doojoon reached out and wiped it away. The latter just started at him, perplexed.

 “Y-your smile, it’s beautiful…” and there was a brief silence, “Will you smile again, for me?”

The girl gazed at him with confused eyes but it wasn’t long before she blurted a soft chuckle, showing off her much adored smile.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” She asked, amused.

Doojoon shook his head hastily with a serious assuring expression and the latter laughed again.

And Doojoon unknowingly smiled along, an action he thought he had long forgotten.

=======

They stood under the snowing sky on the same street they first met each other years ago.

Soft lips rested against each other.

With the petite one tiptoeing and the other’s arms around her waist.

How they love December…

The cold days that passed doesn’t seems lonely anymore.

Doojoon was positive that it was all thanks to her.

He had fallen, fallen in love again…

He once swore to never put up his heart in any danger.

But this time…

Just this time, he would rather gave her his heart and let her stab and tore his heart apart if that would make this one beautiful being love and stay by him forever.

 He won’t ever regret it.

He’s in love with her.

And forever will he be.

=======

-The End-