One

In Love With My Best Friend

I hugged her tight while she cried in my arms, trying not to cry with her.

- Hey Soo Joo, please don't cry... I will never leave you... I promise.

- But, oppa, you are leaving me... - she said sobbing.

- Ji are you coming or not ? - I heard my best friend Youngbae calling from his car waiting for me.

My mom, that was only letting Soo Joo say her goodbye's and trying to get the rest of my stuff to fit in Youngbae's car, finally intervened.

- Soo Joo your brother will live in the dorm's only because it's the best for his studies, his college is only 1 hour by car away so he will visit as much as he can okay? don't be clingy Kwon Soo Joo. 

She finally let go of my black t-shirt and looked at me in the eyes. I tried my best to smile at her. -  I promise I will text you and call you every day, and also skype... seriously I will talk to you so much that you will find me annoying - she laughed a little and I knew she was going to be okay.. 

- That will never happen oppa...- she hugged me again, only this time with a smile - I will miss you...

- Me too little princess.. me too - I hugged her back and kissed her hair. Said Goodbye for the last time both to her and my mom and made my way to the car.

- Make sure to keep your promise oppa !! - She shout for the last time with a smile ... I smiled at her and waved while entering the car.

This was the first time that I was going to be separated from my sister, so I was having a little bit of counflituous thoughts on that. For one side I really didn't want to leave her side, I wanted to protect her at all times and at all costs just as I was used to do since she was basically born. But having this kind of freedom, and having to worry about no one but me for a wile, even if in just some parts of my life, sounded like... fun...

My best friends Youngbae and LeeChaerin were already waiting for me in the car with a mocking grin. 

- What ? - I asked when youngbae drived long enough for my family to be out of sight.

- I reaaaallyyy can't understand how can someone change so much.... - she said while laughing and shaking her head.

- What do you mean ? - I asked shrugging my shoulders wile I put myself more confortable for the trip, with the music a little bit louder and a cigarette in my mouth.

- What do I mean ? You clearly could pass as a saint in front of your family while we all know you are all but that ... - she said still making fun of me and taking away my cigarete to smoke it herself.

-Yah !! Lee chaerin !! You know that I have to set the example to my little sister! - I said seriously . No matter what life I lived, how much I partied, smoked, or how many girls I had, none of that would ever interfere in my sister life... in the end I will always be there for her no matter what, to support her and to protect her, that was a promise that I was going to keep until the end.

- But seriously how did you pull this off ? Coming to study to Seoul ? - Youngbae asked me. - Didn't you already enter in your first year of college with full scholarship and everything but refused it because your mom didn't let you move out because of Soo Joo?

I just stared at him ... wow... how did he know me so well ?

I liked to have fun with my friends since high school, and I could have a bad boy image but the truth was that I always put my family and my studies first. Since it was just the three of us, I as the oldest brother always had to help at the house chores, and soon enough understood that if I wanted my sister to live comfortably I had to work to earn some extra money to help in the expenses, and had to study harder to be able to at least have a chance at giving my family a better life while actually pursuing my dream.

Studying Music at Seoul National University and work in the music industry had been my dream since I was little. So when I was denied that dream after all my efforts, for a moment, I felt all of my world collapse and my dream to get farther and farther away. However, I never told this either to my family or my friends, to them I was just as good in Busan as I was in Seoul. My priority was never my dream, but my family.  

- My mom got promoted and was transfered to the hospital here in Seoul, - I said while lighting another cigarrete since my first one was lost to Chaerin - so she thouth that it was best for us to move to Seoul so that Soo Joo could atend a better hight school and improve her grades to get into a better college, and asked me to transfer to SNU.

- yah ! so that is why you had to study and work all summer? To retake the entrance exame and have extra money for college? - chaerin yelled at my ear. - woah, your familly for sure is selfish.

- hey don't say that, staying at the University in Busan to stay close to home was my choice and to re-take the entrance exam at SNU was also my choice you know that all that I do is for my sister sake so if Soo Joo is good I am good, ok? Plus I got the scholarship again so all is fine~... - I said raising my hand asking for an hi five.

- Oookaaaay~ ! - Youngbae hi five-d me happily -  So now that my best friend is finally studying with us in his so dreamed university to make his oh so good music let's go have some fun shall we

For me life had never been easy... but that didn't meant that I wasn't going to live it to the fullest.