As he walked in..

DO, Falling in Love at the cafe.

I looked around the empty café. The setting was very different from what it looked like at noon. Office goers come rushing in for last minute lunches, little kids sipping on hot chocolate before enjoying themselves in the tiny play area, young couples holding hands in the midst of the chaos. I love working here during the day, not a hint of a lonely soul. But, at closing time it’s a whole different story. The empty sits long for warmth in the cold winter breeze, the glasses on the tables crave the touch of a finger, but there is none.

Usually Kim Jung Heul sajangnim or Han Tae Yoon seonbae does the last bit of clearing and closes the café but today they are both busy and will be for the next two weeks. And I have to bear the pain of loneliness again, till then.

“Sigh.” A small puff of air comes out as I stare outside. The streets are still busy on either side of the café. The brightly lit sign of the café reflects on the window of the shop opposite to it. ‘Soul Times!’ The name really is a perfect suit for the place, I thought.

I couldn’t go too far into my thoughts when a sudden ring of the bells, hanging from above the entrance, startled me. I looked over to my side and saw a man, about 5ft 8’ in height, walk in. He was wearing a maroon jacket and tight pants, all of which seemed expensive. I couldn’t make out much of his face but even so, he looked very handsome.

“Sorry Sir. We are about to close for now.” I said with hesitation. Because, as much as I wanted to call it a-day, I was curious about how he actually looks.

The man with bright red hair completely ignored my plea.

“Give me a cup of Americano along with one of whatever pastries you have.” He said with a sweet vanilla coated voice but, with a stern tone.

“Aish. De!” I said.

As I was walking over to the counter I tried to peak a look but the man was faced the other way. He seemed disturbed as he cupped his face in his hands. I quickly filled a glass with our finest Americano and sealed the lid. I chose a blue straw because after all it was my favorite color. After that I picked out the last piece of cheesecake with blueberry filling and put it on a plate. Why am I doing this? I thought to myself. I always save the last piece for myself as a token of self-appreciation, but why was today different? 

“No. Customers come first!” I convinced myself and besides I can just eat the brownie I hate.

I took the tray to the table he was sitting at and bent down to place it on the purple and white table cloth. As I was doing so, he lifted his head up from his hands and I had my first glance at the man.

 

 

My heart skipped a thousand beats and my legs went numb as we made eye contact. He was as gorgeous as a man can get. I stood there studying the entire length of his face. His dark chocolate eyes, that had the capability to drown me into an unknown abyss, were a perfect complement for his beautiful snow colored skin. His red hair line was a flawless frame to capture his arsenal of sharp features. His lips were the shape of a heart, faultlessly placed under his nose. A cupid’s lips, I named it in my head.

For a moment I forgot what I was doing and found myself staring blankly right into his eyes. His face said rude but his eyes spoke of a different word. Pleasant. Graceful. Seductive? The insides of my body twisted and its own as I felt alienated in my own body.

What was happening? Am I sick? Am I going to throw up? I had all sorts of thoughts bubbling in my head as this unusual feeling took control over me, till his voice broke the silence.

“Are you always this lousy or is it a special occasion?” he said.

His harsh words pierced through my body as I came back to my senses. I placed down the tray with as much force as I could buckle up which resulted in a loud bang.

“And I even gave him the last piece of my cheesecake. Pfft!” I mumbled to myself as I walked away from his table. No wonder he is alone at this hour in a café, I thought. He is a rude man that doesn’t deserve better. I repeated those words to myself in my head, unable to reside my belief in them.