Chapter 4

Amidst the City Lights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo, are you all right? Kyungsoo!”

 

The redhead could hear his name being called; it was a voice he knew well yet it felt so distant, so fuzzy, so beyond reach. And then just as sudden as it came, the voice ceased calling him and was replaced by the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered open and what he saw was to him a dream. He saw blue skies and fluffy clouds and green leaves falling from the trees above. With a cheerful smile, Kyungsoo reached out his palm to catch a leaf and that was when he noticed that he was sitting on a park bench. In fact, unless he was mistaken, he was in the middle of Mystic Park in broad daylight. His jaw dropping, Kyungsoo stood up at once and scanned his surroundings – there were happy families picnicking on the grass behind him, pet dogs scampering around to catch Frisbees, and youngsters cycling past on the bicycle path in front of him.

With his breath hitched in his throat, Kyungsoo slowly stepped out from under the shade of the oak trees. The sun gleamed so brightly that he couldn’t help but be hesitant and then out of nowhere, as if taking the leap of faith, he propelled himself forwards into the air with his eyes closed. It was a magical sensation having rays of sunshine feel his skin for the very first time; they were sprinkles of magical dust that sparkled all over him, making him feel one with the sunlight like he had always dreamed of. The moment was brief and just as quickly as he had jumped, he landed neatly on his feet, right on top of the painting on the ground that indicated that it was the bicycle path.

 

“Watch out! Watch out!”

 

Kyungsoo turned his head to the right just in time to see Jongin cycling towards him at top speed and without another thought, the redhead dived onto the safety of the grass, unaware that it happened to lead to a small hill. This was followed by a screech of tyres as Jongin braked a little too roughly, causing his bicycle to sharply spin out of control before pulling to an abrupt halt in the direction in which Kyungsoo was currently rolling away. The brunet immediately got off his bike and with childish glee twinkling in his eyes, he lay down on the grass and set off rolling after the other boy.

When he reached the bottom, Kyungsoo was already there holding both hands out and as Jongin gladly let the redhead help him up, he was certain that he was blushing like a teenage girl.

 

“Thanks,” Jongin said shyly, opting to look down at his hands rather than at Kyungsoo’s face. “Are you feeling all right? It was me who was calling you earlier. I saw you from across the park… I was worried.”

 

The other opened his mouth to reply but of course, his voice was not there for him to use. Kyungsoo sighed at the sight of Jongin; he wanted so much to talk to him but all he could do was helplessly watch the brunet that was, until an idea struck him and he wasted no time in acting on it. He gently took one of Jongin’s hands in his own, his left hand gripping the brunet’s wrist whilst his right index finger served as a pen to write out his intended speech on Jongin’s palm.

The brunet could feel his cheeks burning at the contact – it wasn’t the first time feeling Kyungsoo’s hands but it always left a strong feeling on the boy as if it were the first time – and he had half a mind to casually mention that he might or might not have been getting sunburnt although that definitely wasn’t the case.

 

Focusing his attention back on Kyungsoo’s fingers against his palm, he asked, “What is it that you’re writing for me? Is it something you can’t say out loud?”

 

Kyungsoo paused and then shrugged before he began to trace the words as Jongin interpreted them aloud. “Spend…the…day…with…me…” The latter glanced up at the redhead and oh, how his heart felt weak seeing the other’s hair all messed up with leaves and bits of grass on it. “Spend the day with me?”

 

The other nodded.

 

Jongin felt feelings of mild shock, pleasant surprise and general disbelief all wash over him at once. Once he had overcome the wave of emotions, a wide grin slid on his face and he had to, he just absolutely had to voice the question: “Are you asking me out?”

 

And it was the most adorable thing he had ever seen when Kyungsoo shyly bit his lip and nodded.

 

 

Everybody dre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter