[1] ruby ears and loose joints

Of Broken Mixtapes and Hazy Sketchings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] ruby ears and loose joints [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2][/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Seulgi's father had taught her when she was 6, that the world is just when children agree upon it. Children don't have any idea about politics, lossess and figures, and that's why they see everything and everyone, equally. Her father had taught her, that knowing too much about everything would cause a huge chaos, especially if it's possessed by someone who has money, power and greed. Greed is one of the traits that all human beings own. However, aside from greed, there is also conscience. Conscience is needed so that humans would care about each other and not be selfish, sharing opportunities and chances to their fellow kind. 

But the world is not just, and not everyone put their conscience to use. Affairs clash, conflicts occur, deaths pile up day by day, in digits and numbers written on statistics some newspaper have written in one of their articles.

In a world that lacks of justice, there comes a role that's important to protect the victims. A lawyer, her father had said in a tone hinted with undeniable respect. 

That was the beginning of how Seulgi, began to be injected with doses of expectation, of how she will grow up and become a lawyer, an honest and heroic one. Her mother also takes her part in boosting his father. Seulgi knows that her mother didn't really care about the world, about justice, just that the job will give one ton of a cash, and it will pay the bills more than anything.

Seulgi was naive and she didn't understand anything, but for sure she knew her life has already been planned out by her parents, and she believed that they just wanted the best for her. As she grew up, she felt grateful at one point, because she felt like she knows what she wanted to do, unlike her friends who always talk about their worries. For instance, which middle school to attend, what university will they apply, what kind of job will they do in the future.

Her friends had spoken about it in 9th grade, and Seulgi could only nod understandingly and offered them advices, she thought they needed.

Seulgi is now seventeen, and Ms.Woo, the counselling teacher is explaining many kinds of universities and courses that they can choose from. Everybody that is usually loud and full of laughters are now silent, listening intently to her, now explaining the many different routes to get into the university they wish to apply, be it a public university or a private one. 

Seulgi sighs, looking down on the notes she took, of law and art studies written beside each other. It's been five years since she started drawing, and she still doesn't have enough guts until this day, to tell her parents straightforwardly, that she no longer wants to be a lawyer. 

"What's with the frown, Seulgi? Is there something wrong?" Her seatmate, Hong Jisoo, asks in concern, giving her slight glances as he keeps his posture to the front of the class. They will be damned if Ms. Woo catch them talking whilst she's still speaking. 

"Nothing, Jisoo. Let's just listen to her, and avoid of getting her mad again." Seulgi's voice falls into a whisper, and he smiles cordially in return, their thoughts in synch recalling that time in September, where she caught them grinning at their own inside jokes. It was bad, the whole class got a one hour lecture from her, cutting their recess time.

 "-and as I was saying, in order to get into a good university, you need to have good grades of course-not only good, excellent ones, I must put an emphasis for this one. That is, if you want to get a scholarship. You are competing with students all across South Korea, after all. But don't be discouraged, for those who wants to apply to good universities! You still have a chance, and time to study for the entrance examination. The school will give you extra lessons after school relating to the national exam, and the subjects that will be tested is also similar, therefore rest assured, and study hard!"

The bell rings, and all of the students stand up to bow at the strict teacher, and then she nods in farewell.

"All these talks about our future is making me anxious, seriously. " Soojung groans from behind, then stands up to stretch her body after a long round of propped arm and drowsy eyes, trying to keep herself awake. The class has emptied bit by bit as students pass their seats, half-tumbling and half-running to buy their lunch.

Seulgi nods in approval, picking up her lunch box hanging beside her table. " I know, I just want to skip all these stuffs and draw my way towards heaven, or hell. My human heart can never contain these urges to sin all the time. Sinning is a pleasure I can't help myself to do, and I have sinned too much in this lif-" 

She chants this all dramatically, and Junghan feels like giving Seulgi one hundred and one middle fingers, and a slap in the neck to snap some sense into her bizarre words. "How weird can you be, Kang Seulgi," Junghan complains, "-I seriously can never get used to this," but Junghan does, contradicting his own words. Jisoo smiles, as he noticed this.

Seulgi hears a crack somewhere in the joints of her muscles and Junghan shivers at the sight, his hand still roaming, looking for his wallet. "Look at you, Jung Soojung. Keep being a lazy , and the next time you move even an inch, you can only hear cracks from your body."

Soo Jung briefly gives Junghan a blank look with sluggish eyes and lips pursed into a thin line, as deep lines mark each sides near her nose bridge, making her look older and grey than she already is (Seulgi kids with her how she looks like a college student, who is up all night working on their essays, Soojung will only mumble a whatever, as Seulgi pulls on her ear). Soojung looks like she hasn't slept for ages, or perhaps she just slept a little late to two in the morning (like she always do). Then, she continues her stretching routine after staying in one position for too long; cracking her neck, her shoulders, her knuckles, her legs. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter